The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BAKED chicken and rice

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
BAKED chicken and rice Thu, 04/7/11 2:18 PM (permalink)
Hi all,

I did do a search and found nothing on this so I ask you, does anyone have a good recipe for baked chicken and rice?  I'm not looking for one that has cream of this or cream of that soup in it.  I have bag of yellow rice, I have the chicken, onions, celery, chicken broth ect.
I was thinking about sauteing the rice and seasonings in a small amount of oil, adding the chopped onion and celery, saute, then add the recommended water(broth) amount according to package directions, bring to a boil, pour into a casserole, placing my chicken on top and baking 45 minutes to an hour at 350. I'm looking for a crispy skin on my chicken...hopefully.  Would this work?  What would you do?
Thanks!
Brenda

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
    Re:BAKED chicken and rice Thu, 04/7/11 5:24 PM (permalink)
    I would do it Paella style. But, in a pre-heated oven set at 325-350. Saute the chicken in your choice of lipid (mine's EVOO) both sides and set aside. 
    Saute your onion, celery (and, don't forget the garlic) until soft. Add the rice and saute without liquid for a few minutes. Stirring as you go. Add your chicken and liquid and place in the oven until done. To keep the chicken crisp, place it on top of the rice skin side up.
    I didn't mention anything about spices. Just technique.
    <message edited by Twinwillow on Thu, 04/7/11 5:31 PM>

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
      Re:BAKED chicken and rice Sat, 04/9/11 10:06 AM (permalink)
      This recipe came to mind when I read your request - but it is not baked, guess it could be though. I've made this many times...it's delicious.

Basque Chicken and Rice

2 TB olive oil
      8 pieces of chicken
      3 cloves garlic, chopped
      1 medium onion, chopped
      1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
      (small jar of pimiento strips - opt.)
      1/2 cup halved green olives
      1/4 cup water
      2 cups rice
      4 cups chicken broth
      1 bay leaf
      salt and pepper
      pinch of saffron
      pinch of smoked paprika

Heat a heavy pan with a lid on the stove top burner, add oil, saute chicken to brown it, remove to a platter. Add the garlic, onion, and bell pepper to the oil. Saute until the onion is transparent. Deglaze the pan with the water. Return the chicken to the pot, add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer. Cook 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.

I think you could put the pan in the oven, covered, after you bring it up to the boil. Have the oven preheated to 350 degrees F and bake for 25-30 minutes. Test the rice to see if it is done, then bake 10 more minutes if needed. Test again.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
        Re:BAKED chicken and rice Sat, 04/9/11 11:57 AM (permalink)
        I don't think you're going to get crispy skin from the combination of a 350 degree oven and the rice-broth mixture under it.  Do you think it would hurt the dish to raise the oven temps the last 15-20 minutes of cooking? 

Where's chewingthefat when you need him?

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
          Re:BAKED chicken and rice Sat, 04/9/11 12:09 PM (permalink)
          Would putting the chicken under the broiler the last ?? (number of minutes) possibly work to crisp the chicken skin?

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            Re:BAKED chicken and rice Sat, 04/9/11 1:13 PM (permalink)
            Mom made what may be what you are looking for-she made the rice with chicken broth, put in a baking dish.She sauteed the chicken a bit( in butter, but nowadays olive oil) before placing on top of the rice.Baked it for an hour, then broiled chicken for crispness. Excellent results.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
              Re:BAKED chicken and rice Sat, 04/9/11 3:20 PM (permalink)
              Your post triggered me into action. I have some leftover Beer Butt Smoked Chicken and now I'm gonna make some Chicken Rice Soup. That's a possibility for however you decide to cook your chicken---leftover chicken rice soup!
              <message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 04/10/11 7:29 PM>

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                Re:BAKED chicken and rice Sun, 04/10/11 10:07 AM (permalink)
                When all 4 children were at home, somehow we all got up, dressed, & went to church on Sunday morning.  I had a rotating list of Sunday dinner recipes that I made in a slow oven while we at church.  I come from the south(West Virginia) & we always had a big dinner after church on Sunday.

One of my Sunday dinner recipes was for chicken & rice.  I got this  recipe from a neighbor over 30 years ago.  It is not gourmet, in fact it uses 1 can of cream of mushroom soup,but the soup is diluted so it doesn't have that "cream of mushroom" taste.  I have tweaked the recipe over the years.
                Chicken & Rice:
                1 whole chicken cut into pieces
                1 can golden mushroom soup
                1 can raw rice
                1 T butter
                1T oil
                1 large onion, diced, not minced
                1-2 stalks of celery diced
                salt, not too much, the soup has salt
                pepper.
                Preheat oven to 250( I would put the chicken in the oven at 9am, take it out about 12:30pm).  Melt butter & oil over medium/high heat in overproof dutch oven, add 1 can full of rice(I have a clean empty can that I keep for rice only) , saute , stirring for 4-5 miinutes until rice is no longer opaque.  Add soup, then 1 can full of chjcken broth, stir.  Top with chicken,cover place in oven, bake 3-31/2 hours.
                Not fancy,just plain good.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                  Re:BAKED chicken and rice Sun, 04/10/11 10:56 AM (permalink)
                  I have a dish similar to claracamille's that uses pork chops, and includes carrots, which would work well with some of the other recipes recommended, as long as they weren't cut too thickly. 

markdevis33

• Total Posts: 8
                    Re:BAKED chicken and rice Mon, 06/27/11 2:22 AM (permalink)
                    Why don't you try to prepare Biryani from this

Ingredients

4 tablespoons vegetable oil 4 small potatoes, peeled and halved 2 large onions, finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root 1/2 teaspoon chili powder 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon salt 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped 2 tablespoons plain yogurt 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken pieces cut into chunks   2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 large onion, diced 1 pinch powdered saffron 5 pods cardamom 3 whole cloves 1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1 pound basmati rice 4 cups chicken stock 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Directions

1. In a large skillet, in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or ghee) fry potatoes until brown, drain and reserve the potatoes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and fry onion, garlic and ginger until onion is soft and golden. Add chili, pepper, turmeric, cumin, salt and the tomatoes. Fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add yogurt, mint, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are cooked to a pulp. It may be necessary to add a little hot water if the mixture becomes too dry and starts to stick to the pan.
                    2. When the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture. Cover and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, approximately 35 to 45 minutes. There should only be a little very thick gravy left when chicken is finished cooking. If necessary cook uncovered for a few minutes to reduce the gravy.
                    3. Wash rice well and drain in colander for at least 30 minutes.
                    4. In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil (or ghee) and fry the onions until they are golden. Add saffron, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger and rice. Stir continuously until the rice is coated with the spices.
                    5. In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt. When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well. Add the chicken mixture and the potatoes; gently mix them into the rice. Bring to boil. Cover the saucepan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid or stir while cooking. Spoon biryani onto a warm serving dish.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                      Re:BAKED chicken and rice Mon, 06/27/11 2:44 PM (permalink)
                      Didn't know what a Biryani was so a little Wiki told me.
                      A biryani doesn't satisfy Rusty 246's requirement for a crispy skinned chicken.
                      "
                      The spices and condiments used in biryani may include, but are not limited to, ghee, nutmeg, mace, cumin, pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander, mint leaves, ginger, onions, and garlic. The premium varieties include saffron. For a non-vegetarian biryani, the main ingredient that accompanies the spices is the meatbeef, chicken, goat, lamb, fish or shrimp. The dish may be served with dahi chutney or Raita, korma, curry, a sour dish of eggplant (brinjal) , boiled egg and salad.
                      The difference between biryani and pullao is that while pullao may be made by cooking the items together, biryani is used to denote a dish where the rice (plain or fried) is cooked separately from the thick sauce (curry of meat or vegetables). The curry and the rice are then brought together and layered, resulting in a dish of the contrasting flavors of unflavored rice (which has a hint of the aromas and juices of the curry) and intensely flavored sauce and meat or vegetables."

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                        Re:BAKED chicken and rice Mon, 06/27/11 3:51 PM (permalink)
                        Thanks all, I too prefer my chicken and rice just plain good.  I tried the way I mentioned it above and all I can say is YUCK!  It was edible but not at all what I was hoping to achieve.  At good friend of mine at work says she does it that way all the time.  Must be different tastes.
                        Funny Claracamille I remember my ex husbands great aunt(passed away YEARS ago) making something very similar to your recipe, right down to the can measurements, she called it "Chicken on Sunday".  No kidding. She also insisted that you must first wash your chicken then soak it in baking soda and water for at least an hour before preparing, was that one of the first brines????  She was quite elderly at the time the recipe was given.  I haven't attempted making the baked chicken again, I still have that taste in my mouth of "yuck".  And Claracamille, I'm from W. Va. too, have lived in FL most all of my life and miss the mountains terribly(at times), they always remind me of family and Christmas as a child.

Thanks all!
                        <message edited by Rusty246 on Mon, 06/27/11 3:52 PM>

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                          Re:BAKED chicken and rice Sat, 07/2/11 1:09 PM (permalink)
                          Rusty246

Thanks all, I too prefer my chicken and rice just plain good.  I tried the way I mentioned it above and all I can say is YUCK!  It was edible but not at all what I was hoping to achieve.  At good friend of mine at work says she does it that way all the time.  Must be different tastes.
                          Funny Claracamille I remember my ex husbands great aunt(passed away YEARS ago) making something very similar to your recipe, right down to the can measurements, she called it "Chicken on Sunday".  No kidding. She also insisted that you must first wash your chicken then soak it in baking soda and water for at least an hour before preparing, was that one of the first brines????  She was quite elderly at the time the recipe was given.  I haven't attempted making the baked chicken again, I still have that taste in my mouth of "yuck".  And Claracamille, I'm from W. Va. too, have lived in FL most all of my life and miss the mountains terribly(at times), they always remind me of family and Christmas as a child.

Thanks all!

Rusty,
                          I haven't made chicken this way for a while.  My husband & I try to do lowcarb as much as possible, no rice.  This was one of my Sunday recipes, put it in the oven while at church, ready when we got home.  A good way to make a chicken stretch to serve 6 people.
                          I also miss West Virgina.  I grew up in Dunbar, but my family is all from Mason county, around Point Pleasant.  My mom, 89, still lives in the house I grew up in & cooks for herself every day.  I go back to see her every 2 months or so.
                          What part of West Virginia are you from?

Steadam2011

• Total Posts: 16
                            Re:BAKED chicken and rice Tue, 07/26/11 4:14 AM (permalink)
                            Chicken Baked Rice

Ingredients:
                            1/2 cup butter or margarine
                            1/2 cup chopped onions
                            3 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
                            Salt and pepper, to taste
                            1 dash poultry seasoning, to taste
                            1 cup chopped celery
                            1 cup raw rice
                            2 cups boiling water

Directions:

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and rice and saute until rice is light golden brown. In separate bowl, mix soup mix, salt and pepper, and poultry seasoning with boiling water.

Pour rice mixture in a casserole dish and pour soup mixture over. DO NOT STIR TOGETHER. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or till liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven and mix before serving.

<message edited by Steadam2011 on Sat, 08/27/11 3:27 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com