BAR PIE

Author
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
2007/07/07 07:09:24 (permalink)

BAR PIE

What ever happened to the infamous Bar Pie?

They seem non existent in this day and age.

Does anyone know the criteria for making a Bar Pie?

Is a bar pie any different in preparation as opposed to a standard pizza pie?

21 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/07 12:53:46 (permalink)
    In my experience eating pizza in N.J. bars, the difference was you could only order a small pie if you were sitting at the bar. I think they have morphed into today's "personal" size pizzas. pb
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/07 13:24:08 (permalink)

Does this qualify? I have eaten here before and this is all that is served at the Colony Grill. It is very good.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1944&RefID=1689

mark
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15302
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/07 13:42:33 (permalink)

Is the difference between a BAR PIE and a Slice served at the Bar only in the size of the pie?

jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/07 20:32:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

Does this qualify? I have eaten here before and this is all that is served at the Colony Grill. It is very good.

mark

Yes, that is definitely a "Bar Pie".

Very thin crust and greasy. I was once told that these small pizzas are cooked in a pan of grease which makes the pizza extra crispy and greasy too. But i am not 100% sure of that info. Anyone who can help on this please feel free to share your info with us. I want to make a bar pie at home and am thinking about cooking it in a well greased 12" cast iron skillet in the oven .
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/08 06:51:51 (permalink)
    Not exactly sure what a bar pie is, but here in the Boston area we have many local watering holes that serve a great pizza.
    A lot of these bars also do a big take out business with a long wait time for your order. Many of these local gin mills made the transition from a bar to full service restaraunt over the years. Chow Jim
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/08 09:51:09 (permalink)
    Ok, maybe a Bar Pie is a Jersey thing?

Where are the rest of you guys from New Jersey?

I need your help over here." />
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/08 10:00:29 (permalink)
    Nope. I remember the bar pie thing down here where I am from. Gone now, though. I remember them being cooked in an industrial style (but small) toaster oven. Last time I saw one was probably '88 or so. They were hot n' greasy and I thought they were pretty good.
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/08 10:26:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

mark

Very thin crust and greasy. I was once told that these small pizzas are cooked in a pan of grease which makes the pizza extra crispy and greasy too. But i am not 100% sure of that info. Anyone who can help on this please feel free to share your info with us. I want to make a bar pie at home and am thinking about cooking it in a well greased 12" cast iron skillet in the oven .

Cooking the pizza in grease is not necessarily a prerequisite for a pizza to be called a "bar pie," although some places may do that. Colony Grill's is said to be cooked in a pan, though after tasting it, it is not greasier than pizza out of the oven. Surprising, considering it is made in an old Irish bar where pizza is the only food item on the menu. The 3 things that elevate this pizza above other mediocre pizzas is a (1)thin, crisp crust (a little lacking in flavor, though), (2) great sausage and pepperoni made right across the street at the butcher, (3) the hot oil (spicy hot) which can be added to the top of any pie - highly recommended on top of any pizza there as the cheese and tomato sauce are nothing special. To me that's what makes it a bar pie - thin crust, smaller in diameter, served in a bar or tavern with a limited food menu (primarily a place for drinks).

Here's an excerpt from the "Chapter 12: Bar Pie" of Ed Levine's book, Pizza: A Slice of Heaven

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2007/06/a_slice_of_heaven_bar_pizza.html#more
    The Dean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/12 10:33:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jack Barry

quote:
    Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

mark

Cooking the pizza in grease is not necessarily a prerequisite for a pizza to be called a "bar pie," although some places may do that. Colony Grill's is said to be cooked in a pan, though after tasting it, it is not greasier than pizza out of the oven. Surprising, considering it is made in an old Irish bar where pizza is the only food item on the menu. The 3 things that elevate this pizza above other mediocre pizzas is a (1)thin, crisp crust (a little lacking in flavor, though), (2) great sausage and pepperoni made right across the street at the butcher, (3) the hot oil (spicy hot) which can be added to the top of any pie - highly recommended on top of any pizza there as the cheese and tomato sauce are nothing special. To me that's what makes it a bar pie - thin crust, smaller in diameter, served in a bar or tavern with a limited food menu (primarily a place for drinks).

Here's an excerpt from the "Chapter 12: Bar Pie" of Ed Levine's book, Pizza: A Slice of Heaven

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2007/06/a_slice_of_heaven_bar_pizza.html#more

I have had a couple of those Bar Pies. Santarpio's is a terrific pie, one of the best in the Boston area. Another great bar pie, not on the list, is J & J Southside Restaurant in Huntington Station, NY (Long Island).

Some have mentioned toaster-ovens and the like...I think you're talking about pre-made (and possibly frozen) pizzas. Those aren't Bar Pies, IMO.

Bar Pies are real pizzas made fresh by real pizza makers. They tend to be thinner than even thin-crust pizzas. Some have almost a cracker-like crust.

A great Bar Pie is a rare treat, I tells ya.
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/12 11:00:03 (permalink)
    Eddie's Pizza, Hillside Avenue in New Hyde Park NY has the classic bar pie. Thin, almost matzoh like crust, good solid tomato sauce, plenty of cheese, blistered in the oven with good char marks on the crust, thes pies have been popular here since the place first opened in the 40's. Get a 'bar pie' at the bar, or head into the small dining room for a full size version of the pie - same great crust, same great taste - plus a full menu of italian dishes.
    The Dean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/12 11:30:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PaulBPool

Eddie's Pizza, Hillside Avenue in New Hyde Park NY has the classic bar pie. Thin, almost matzoh like crust, good solid tomato sauce, plenty of cheese, blistered in the oven with good char marks on the crust, thes pies have been popular here since the place first opened in the 40's. Get a 'bar pie' at the bar, or head into the small dining room for a full size version of the pie - same great crust, same great taste - plus a full menu of italian dishes.

Eddie's is excellent. I'm not crazy about the atmosphere, but they make a good bar pie.

You should sit at the bar at JJ's Southside in Huntington, and see if you like it better. I think is is a little bit better than Eddies, but it's close. I get pepperoni and garlic
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/12 11:32:53 (permalink)
    I bartended for awhile in a dive(beer & shots mostly) and we served bar pies. The owner bought them in bulk frozen from BJ's or Costco. We did have a small pizza oven to cook them in. It was in an awkward spot and all the bartenders would at some point burn their right arm just below the shoulder. But I digress... Everyone seemed to enjoy these pizzas. BTW the shift I worked was 9am til 6pm every Saturday. When I would arrive there were usually one or two customers waiting for me. Haven't been there in awhile but I think they still serve the bar pies.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/12 19:57:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Dean

Some have mentioned toaster-ovens and the like...I think you're talking about pre-made (and possibly frozen) pizzas. Those aren't Bar Pies, IMO.

Bar Pies are real pizzas made fresh by real pizza makers. They tend to be thinner than even thin-crust pizzas. Some have almost a cracker-like crust.

A great Bar Pie is a rare treat, I tells ya.

Yes, this is the type of Bar Pie that i am looking for. Not the frozen mini pizzas but the real hand made extra thin and crispy bar pie. I guess that i have to start looking in bars for these pies.
    Years ago there was an Italian luncheonette down the street from me and they made these pies and miss eating them.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/17 12:47:59 (permalink)
    Bar pies are alive and well in the Boston area, although maybe not as common as they once were.

Some places, like the Lynwood Cafe in Randolph, have made a generations-long reputation on them. The Red Wing in Walpole (nowhere near the ocean but hard by Gillette Stadium)seems to have evolved from a diner to a bar to a respectably greasy roadside cafe known as much for its fried seafood as its bar pies.

I haven't been there in years, but I seem to recall way back from my college years that Crossroads on Beacon Street used to make a suitably greasy, if far from superior bar pie. Anyone know of others?
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/17 13:12:29 (permalink)
    I grew up eating bar pies at EDDIE'S; they also began serving me beer when I was 13. It was just that kind of "neighborhood" place, and certainly that was another time and world, maybe.
    I've written about EDDIE'S on other threads here.
    I still get there about once a year when I'm in the area; the pies are still exactly the same. And they are great!
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/18 07:16:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rongmtek

I grew up eating bar pies at EDDIE'S; they also began serving me beer when I was 13. It was just that kind of "neighborhood" place, and certainly that was another time and world, maybe.
    I've written about EDDIE'S on other threads here.
    I still get there about once a year when I'm in the area; the pies are still exactly the same. And they are great!

Where is Eddies??
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/18 07:37:46 (permalink)
    PaulBPool mentioned the location above, but I am glad to repeat it:
    EDDIE'S PIZZA is on Hillside Avenue in New Hyde Park, NY (Long Island). It is just west of Marcus Avenue.
    For those who don't know, EDDIE'S opened shortly after World War II and was the neighborhood bar & pizza joint for the first generation of suburban Long Islanders, and many more to come after. These were the men who fought the war and their new families, escaping the crowded boroughs for the green, open spaces of Long Island's north shore. My folks bought a house there in 1950; the GI Bill enabled just about anyone with a job to grab a piece of the American dream and own a home. I still have photos my Dad took of the potato fields that became my neighborhood.
    EDDIE'S was (and still is) legendary for their bar pie, a smaller version of the thin crust pie described in this thread. For many years, the crusts were made offsite by close friends of my family; a high school classmate's family owned the place for a while. The constant for more than 30 years was the cook, Hugo; a one-legged, pot-bellied jack-of-all-trades who seemed to live in the kitchen and never sleep. We would watch (from one of the red leatherette booths) through the kitchen door as Hugo prepared an antipasto platter: one for the platter, one for Hugo.
    I mentioned that they began serving me beer when I was 13; this is true. I had already been hanging around for so long, playing the old bowling game, or just shmoozing, that it seemed OK; and I was old for my age. A true neighborhood joint, a community resource of sorts; the first visit I made there after leaving New York for ten years, I ran into 4 or 5 people I knew. EDDIE'S was even featured in HBO's ENTOURAGE, when the boys have a dozen pizzas flown into Hollywood from EDDIE'S.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/31 18:06:15 (permalink)
    Ok,I tried the Bar Pie over at "Star Tavern" on Dodd Ave . I believe it's in Orange NJ. The pizza was pretty good . Especially being that they run a special: $4 for a Bar pie served at the bar only. What a bargain! They did get me for the beer though, $3.25 for a Coors light draft beer!" />

Here is a picture of their Bar Pie:

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/07/31 18:35:01 (permalink)
    Back in the 70's, Bar Pies I had where pretty much Tony's frozen pizzas cooked in their little electric table top oven. Tasted pretty darn good, considering they made a decent frozen pizza back then. Plus they where greasy (before the health craze destroyed todays pepperoni). Back in the very early 90's, I worked at a small tavern called "Abbots" in Indianapolis. Though this was a short lived job, they only served beer, personal pizza, fries and burgers. Canned sauce for the pizza had a really good zing to it, and the tabletop Bloodget Pizza brick oven could handle up to 8 personals at a time (had 2 ovens).
    I sure miss that greasy pepperoni that would add some serious flavor..
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/08/03 13:58:08 (permalink)
    The Clover Bar in Grand Haven, Mich., on Beechtree Street (616) 846-3580, on the east side of town from U.S. 31, is locally famous and justifiably so for their delicious, cheesy and generously topped bar pies, all with outstanding ingredients, and particularly good pepperoni and olives (green or black!).

If you're in West Michigan, give these a try. I'm an ex-New Yorker and it kills me to admit there is any pizza worth eating out here. - Rusty
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BAR PIE 2007/08/04 09:37:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rustywolf

The Clover Bar in Grand Haven, Mich., on Beechtree Street (616) 846-3580, on the east side of town from U.S. 31, is locally famous and justifiably so for their delicious, cheesy and generously topped bar pies, all with outstanding ingredients, and particularly good pepperoni and olives (green or black!).

If you're in West Michigan, give these a try. I'm an ex-New Yorker and it kills me to admit there is any pizza worth eating out here. - Rusty
    For an ex-New Yorker to like it then it must be good.

New Yorker certified
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1