BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7686
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/20 18:18:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by catosaurus

I've so enjoyed checking in on this thread every day, hoping (and being pleasantly satisfied) when an update has been posted. It's been almost like a vacation for me. I'm extremely glad that WJ and TTM took the time to document their adventures (both in dining and sight-seeing) for us. I'll miss seeing new supplements!

I just love this website and its posters!

Thanks...

Buffetbuster also deserves a tremendous amount of credit for starting the thread and his main contribution for Kansas City...

But....not so fast...

TTM still has his report to do for his last two days in Louisville and Nashville and I'm sure there's going to be plenty of added commentary from The Mayor and Poverty Pete.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10085
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 08:11:28 (permalink)
Since I have been on Roadfood so little in the last two weeks or so, I am way behind in commenting. But, I have to tell you wanderingjew, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Myron Noodleman. I have no idea why I find him so funny, but I really do!
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 09:22:28 (permalink)
"Myron Noodleman" is, in fact, Rick Hader of Tulsa, OK. Hader, who used to be a Math teacher at Tulsa's Union High School (my son's alma mater), displayed a lot of guts by debuting his Myron Noodleman character in the late '80s in front of his students and teaching buddies at Union football games.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 11:00:57 (permalink)
Thanks Howard. As a retired teacher I love to read of former teachers who have done 'well' in their second career!!
OH TTM, Your final Flight is now ready for departure!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 11:07:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Since I have been on Roadfood so little in the last two weeks or so, I am way behind in commenting. But, I have to tell you wanderingjew, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Myron Noodleman. I have no idea why I find him so funny, but I really do!

quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz
"Myron Noodleman" is, in fact, Rick Hader of Tulsa, OK. Hader, who used to be a Math teacher at Tulsa's Union High School (my son's alma mater), displayed a lot of guts by debuting his Myron Noodleman character in the late '80s in front of his students and teaching buddies at Union football games.

I never even heard of the guy until my visit to see the Albuquerque Isotopes. He's never been to McCoy Stadium here in Pawtucket- at least as far as I know- truth is- I'm not sure how receptive the crowd would be
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 11:51:58 (permalink)
Well, WJ, Now you know him like a brother, Ehh? I am sure the fine folks in Pawtucket (Wasn't there a Limerick about that place?) have a number of things to gain by contact with the outside world !

BTW, Is the Baseball Park in Pawtucket named after the 'Law & Order' D A Character (McCoy) played by Sam Watterson? The inner perimeter highway (I-264) here in Louisville seems to be ! It is the Watterson Expressway!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 12:11:17 (permalink)
Guys, I enjoyed reading the continuing saga of your quest for baseball & roadfood. Very good pics and stories. Amazing how you fit sooooo much food into so little time.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 12:33:03 (permalink)
WJ,

Good pictures of NM, that fry bread at the Pueblo Cultural Center looks over cooked but eveything else looks great. I'm glad you got to the Center, it gives you a great view of each of the Northern Pueblo tribes.

Myron Noodleman has appeared several times each year at the Kane County Cougars game in Geneva Illinois. They are a Class A club associated with the Oakland A's. Last time I went to a game, you could get some great grilled pork chops off a big grill behind the stands.

http://www.kccougars.com/
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 12:47:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joerogo

Guys, Amazing how you fit sooooo much food into so little time.

I don't know how we managed to also- There were so many other places I wanted to check out-especially in Omaha- I know TTM wanted to go to his Italian Restaurant, and at the same time I never had the chance to try the Cheese Frenchies or Potato Casseroles- I'm confident TTM will be back in Omaha many more times since he's a huge CWS fan, prior to this visit, the last time I was there was a decade ago, and truth of the matter is, I'm not sure if I'll ever be back since most likely after next year- most of my trips will be abroad- that's if the $$$ ever improves-
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 13:17:48 (permalink)
WJ-
I have seen Myron Noodleman in both Nashville and Altoona (twice) and he received warm receptions from both. I am curious why you think he may not play as well in Pawtucket.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 13:24:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

WJ-
I have seen Myron Noodleman in both Nashville and Altoona (twice) and he received warm receptions from both. I am curious why you think he may not play as well in Pawtucket.

As you probably know- Southern New England can be BRUTAL

Recently some guy in Massachusetts was beat up because they thought the guy was a Yankees Fan- The only reason why they thought he was a Yankees fan was because he had a New York license plate- the guy wasn't even a baseball fan!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 14:03:58 (permalink)
When WJ won the "Mr Congeniality", the "Most Adaptable", AND the "Most likely to Marry a Dominating Woman" Awards in the "Best of Rhode Island" poll, it gave us a little insight into the 'Community Ambience' of our Pawtucket friends!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3731
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 14:56:30 (permalink)
I will get on to posting my last leg as soon as I can. It is hard to believe that we have been home for nearly a month already. It's no wonder that I'm itching to get back out for another trip. I think buffetbuster has already had two weekend jaunts (and one canceled trip to KC).

I really need to get out more.
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 15:00:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man
I really need to get out more.
Don't feel so badly. I already missed Summerfest, Taste of Chicago, and Country Thunder (to which I could WALK) because I've been out of work since March.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 15:39:39 (permalink)
Don't feel alone, Steve. We had hoped to get a couple of weekend trips in this summer, However, due to Janets work schedule, It looks like "after Labor Day" for us. With her daughter moving from 29 Palms CA to the Camp Leguene NC Area that will be one long weekend trip. I am determined to do the Wisconsin-Twin Cities for Fall Color this year (With a stop in Omaha and KC on the way home. Not sure of the timing, but that's our plan for now.

I have a couple of phoos of TTM when he was here that I will add to his Louisville Chapter.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/21 15:55:24 (permalink)
Truly a wonderful, exciting trip to follow along on-Thanks for all of it!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/27 16:11:04 (permalink)
Heading down the home stretch. I figure that some folks may need a musical accompaniment to get through the last chapter(s) of this epic journey, and nothing seems more appropriate than[url='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzRm_Ut7HM']this[/url].

Stardate 1312.4 - Denver, CO to Nashville, TN

TTM's log: The impossible has happened. I have separated myself from my Earthly companion and journey on to my next destination – Nashville.

Today is a really weird day, as I am completely reliant on American Airlines to get me to my destination, on time, with little room for error. Surprisingly enough, I arrived in Nashville a few minutes before my scheduled arrival time. Since BNA is a relatively small airport, the rental cars are still located right on site with no need for a shuttle or anything. I was on my way less than 15 minutes after wheels down! That, unfortunately, is where my good fortune ended. Despite Poverty Pete’s fine directions from the stadium to the ballpark, I somehow ended up lost – making concentric circles around the stadium and extending myself farther and farther away each time. Unfortunately, Greer Stadium is not well marked with signage – but, you would think I could have seen large light stanchions? Nope. I still got there with plenty of time before the game, found quick and easy parking, and caught up with PP quickly, but my poor navigation skills did bleed into quality eating time at Judge Bean’s BBQ.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3041/2707383558_b9458d6757_o.jpg[/img]

Tell me that this doesn’t have my name written all over it – a bbq joint inside a baseball stadium! I could think of no finer place in all the land to break bread with Roadfood.com’s only ” super-duper roquefort-stuffed rotisserie tenderloin.” Keep in mind, this is not a booth set up on the concourse, it is a full-scale restaurant that overlooks the playing field.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3127/2707383470_154030b1d8_o.jpg[/img]

The Judge puts out his menu in plain talk – and doesn’t appear to take too much crap from anyone, least of all the customers! I wish my photo of the menu turned out better – because it is humorous to read. One menu item prompts customers that the beef brisket will contain a little fat – and for those who may not like their brisket a little fatty to order something else – like chicken! The menu also notes that all drinks (yes, even water) are free, but glasses run $1.50. Since the place is obviously themed as a Texas barbecue joint, I did what any self-respecting, Texas BBQ eater would do – I ordered a frosty-cold Shiner Bock, on draught, while Poverty Pete lined up some food. This is what remained before I remembered to take a photo.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2707383610_f9591187dc_o.jpg[/img]

Poverty Pete was ready to take away my “man card” – because I am pretty sure that these were the hottest items to set themselves on my tongue on quite some time! Top – “Texas sushi” - sausage and cheese stuffed jalapeno wrapped in brisket; bottom – “Shrimp Diablo” - jalapeno pepper stuffed with smoked shrimp and cheese and wrapped in bacon. They were good, but I could not eat these in quantity. The very attractive blonde waitress also thought I was a Yankee wuss.

I didn’t get to try anything else on the menu, as we had to head downstairs to meet up with some of PP’s friends who were joining us at the game. PP secured us some fabulous seats – directly behind home plate, in lovely heckling distance.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/2706566343_80521f9b06_o.jpg[/img]

Knowing that I prefer ballparks with some character, as opposed to those newer stadiums that all look alike, the first thing I noticed was the ultra-cool edifice out in left-centerfield.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2707383716_8fa3f307ef_o.jpg[/img]

Ladies and gentlemen…THAT is a minor league scoreboard, if ever I’ve seen one!

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2707383296_d2feed2057_o.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately, all of the charm of their older stadium seems to be lost on the locals, who seem to want that new-style, downtown, amenity-laden park – complete with Ferris wheel. At Greer, most of the fans were once again dressed up in empty-seat costumes.

One of the teams won, one of the teams lost, the guy we heckled hit a towering home run (true story), but you all don’t care about any of that. Once the sensation returned to my tongue, I really enjoyed my visit to the ballpark. PP has some great friends who all thought I was completely nuts for ending my vacation with a one-day stop in Nashville – only to drive to Louisville. PP also has an inordinate number of friends who think that he needs “watching,” as I was told on more than one occasion to make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble.

I needed some food at this point, so PP led me to a spot right across the street from my hotel. Blackstone Restaurant and Brewery was easily the best of the lot of the brew pubs I had visited in the last week and change. I’ll admit, it probably helped that I had something of a beer connoisseur with me, and my usual caveats about brew pubs still apply (overpriced, Yuppie, ordinary food), but this was the best of the bunch. PP and I split an order of their piping hot, fresh soft pretzels (2 for $4.50). I believe that PP was really impressed with their homemade mustard – I did not partake. As for the beer, I ordered a Nut Brown Ale, which was awarded the Gold medal at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival. When I asked PP if I was making a good beer selection, he informed me that he was one of the judges at the aforementioned 2000 Great American Beer Festival and was one of the judges who awarded that gold medal – so, yeah, he thought I was making an OK choice. PP was not really hungry, but I needed entrée food, so I ordered a menu item called “steak and biscuits.” These were four slider-sized sandwiches consisting of a slice of filet on a fresh, fluffy biscuit($11). Au jus sauce accompanied, and our bartender rustled up some extra, as these made for a pseudo-French dip-style meal. The sandwiches were good and filling. PP had two or three of their different beers, but I’d be darned if I could remember what they were. I am sure that he will chime in with the details.

Monday – the day after the last day – Nashville, TN to Louisville, KY

I knew I had an early wake-up call to meet up with Poverty Pete for breakfast at the legendary Pancake Pantry near the Vanderbilt University campus. I knew I was close – which was good, as I am not always up at the butt-crack of dawn. I made it close to on-time, but unfortunately, I was distracted while I was getting dressed at the news of George Carlin’s passing. A sad day, indeed.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2707946366_dff3048949_o.jpg[/img]

For all you regulars…when was the last time you saw this? No line outside...I guess this is what happens when you meet at oh-dark-thirty for breakfast. Who knew?

How about this sight?

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/2707946474_2d7b933b18_o.jpg[/img]

PP and I were pretty much the only ones in the whole place – the whole time we were there. PP was pretty clear that this would not be the case on any weekend morning. Still, even in a mostly-empty restaurant, the employees move fast!

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2707946846_5cf1c4501e_o.jpg[/img]

Hmm…what to order? I think I’ll go with the pancakes.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2707130939_a0faeb38b6_o.jpg[/img]

The Caribbean Pancakes, to be exact. Five buttermilk pancakes covered with whole banana, shaved coconut, chopped pecans and powdered sugar. Dollops of butter also accompany. Bottles of hot "maple flavored" syrup (tall, dark bottle) and cold sweet cinnamon cream sauce (shorter, light brown bottle) are on the table to use at your own discretion. Wait until you see the butter start melting into these bad boys…

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/2707946714_48e227e40d_o.jpg[/img]

Make no mistake about it – these are some serious Grade A USDA Prime pancakes. The combination of flavors worked perfectly. I usually just douse my pancakes in butter, as I don’t much care for the super-sweet syrupy stuff so early in the morning. These, however, begged for a little bit of the sweet cinnamon cream sauce (not a lot – but, some!).

Poverty Pete had a great-looking non-pancake breakfast, himself. I’ll be darned if I recall the name, though, but it looked like it could have been called “the kitchen sink.”

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2707946930_5bbc230ef4_o.jpg[/img]

This was one heck of a breakfast – just the kind of thing to fill up before a nice lengthy drive. A few minor complaints that keep Pancake Pantry from a “perfect 10”: (1) for the kind of money they charge for their food, REAL maple syrup should be automatic. If Cracker Barrell can do it….and (2) about that cost…

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2707130627_68b6bafd9e_o.jpg[/img]

$16, including tax and tip, for a pancakes and eggs breakfast is just this side of obscene. For that kind of money, they BETTER be the best pancakes I’ve ever had. They were excellent, but I am not sure that they were THE best, as I really enjoyed the ones I had last summer at the Cozy Corner Diner and Pancake Pantry in Chicago.

[img] http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1382/701107603_3458392138.jpg[/img]

Still, this is an absolute winner – and a must-stop for anyone traveling through Nashville.

[url='http://www.judgebeans.com/']Judge Bean's BBQ & Steakhouse[/url]
4th Floor - Greer Stadium
534 Chestnut Street
Nashville, TN 37203

[url='http://www.blackstonebrewery.com/restaurant.html']Blackstone Restaurant and Brewery[/url]
1918 West End Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203

Pancake Pantry
1796 21st Ave S
Nashville, TN 37212
(right by Vanderbilt University)

Off to Louisville....
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2293
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/27 16:50:57 (permalink)
What I mostly remember from that episode is TTM crying in his Shiner about how hot the poppers were. Compared to Prince's or Bolton's hot chicken, on the heat scale those poppers might as well have been a bowl of cheerios. If a stuffed jalapeno stops you in your tracks, I'm NOT taking you to Prince's.
As for the beer at Blackstone, they had on tap a couple of lagers. I wasn't impressed, and upon questioning the bartender, learned that the brewer, Dave Miller, and his assistant Travis, had both left the brewery. I was kind of relieved at hearing that. The beer they were serving wasn't really up to Dave's standard.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 02:00:05 (permalink)
Continued from previous day – I think it was a Monday - Nashville to Louisville

Poverty Pete and Al the Mayor had me on a rigorous time schedule, so right after breakfast, I hit the road north to Louisville. Al had called me in the morning (a) to make sure that I was awake and (b) to let me know that there may be some ugly weather on the Tennessee/Kentucky border. While this isn’t the most exciting stretch of road, it was my first time making this drive, so I kept myself entertained looking at what went by – all the while desperately searching for some radio station not playing country music! I really did want to stop at Dinosaur World, but I trekked onward.

As I approached Louisville, I gave Al a call to let him I was near. He agreed to meet me at the exit ramp, as navigating towards his place was a bit tricky. Since the Bowens actually live in southern Indiana, I crossed the Ohio River, and lo and behold….

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2709216414_e51a532a19_o.jpg[/img]
OK…I cheated. I got this one in a rest stop because the actual welcome sign is on a bridge over the river, and I didn’t feel like cheating death to take a photograph.

I arrived at Casa Bowen in one piece and had a long-awaited reunion with Mr and Mrs Mayor, as well as Demi and Duff. Upon arrival, I was immediately placed in a chair and all-but blindfolded. Al and Janet provided with me a welcome gift (I think they said it was my prize for enduring that trip with wanderingjew) that made my jaw drop – a brand new, personally inscribed bat from the Louisville Slugger factory in nearby Louisville. I was speechless for a good while – and anyone who’s met me knows that’s no easy task. This was the coolest present I’d received in quite some time…no lie. They were smart in giving it to me then, as they knew for sure that my inner eight-year old would have been kicking and screaming had they tried to tell me NOT to buy one at the factory later that day. Before we made off to lunch, I took a brief tour around Bowen Orchard and got to witness the Scotties “fishing” – truly a sight to behold, as long as you don’t have any particular fondness for goldfish (they’re on the losing end of this battle).

We loaded up into one car, and once again I was grateful for not having to find a place. Joe Huber’s Restaurant is out in the middle of nowhere. As we made our way along the winding country roads, Al gave me a brief history about the Huber family – and how pretty much all the houses we’d see belong to one member of the Huber family or another….or one of the other families that also had a farm – and then added a restaurant. Heck…if one can do it…

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/2708399405_9b4fc6b9c8_o.jpg[/img]

One of the things I was told is that Huber’s grows a lot of flower bulbs – in particular, day lilies. They were in full bloom on this summer day.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/2708399639_34e4c6d9c3_o.jpg[/img]

We were seated quickly and greeted by our adorable (and previously seen) server. She dropped a basket of fried biscuits on the table, with apple butter and strawberry preserves. She was instructed to keep the biscuits coming until one of us passed out. She did.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2708400489_c382c6ec02_o.jpg[/img]

I ordered the fried chicken (a half chicken), which came with two sides. I chose corn on the cob and green beans (look at me…eating something green again!). The corn, I was told, was fresh picked from the farm recently.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2708400607_2d26f032d1_o.jpg[/img]

Al tried to goad me into ordering the “family style” portion, which included a taste of pretty much every side on the menu. With breakfast still a recent memory, I knew I didn’t need anywhere near that much food. I feel bad saying that this was only the second-best fried chicken of this trip, but when Stroud’s is on the itinerary, it’s tough to place first. The only other time I had corn this fresh was when I visited one of the Zellwood corn farms in central Florida for sweet corn. I saw them pick the corn, shuck it, and cook it in front of me. This corn was crisp and sweet, too…with just the right amount of butter. I know that I tried the green beans, but I also know that I left one or two pieces of chicken in Al’s fridge, so I am sure that I didn’t get far.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/2709216658_89c62e32d2_o.jpg[/img]

The Mayor’s meal did come with all the sides, and I tried the chicken and dumplings and a taste of the mashed potatoes. Both were excellent, though I admit that I don’t have a lot of experience with chicken and dumplings.

I am sure that they tried to push desserts on us, but I don’t remember anything. It may have been a fried chicken coma, though, and I just don’t remember. I kind of regret not picking up some of the strawberry preserves for take-home. In retrospect, they probably would have traveled easy.

Following lunch, we made our way into downtown and made off for the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3208/2708399851_1deb97b92d_o.jpg[/img]

Outside the building, they have the world’s largest baseball bat, which extends 120 feet into the sky.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2708575061_8a39a0c315_o.jpg[/img]
Forgive me….one of my favorite photos from this trip.

A few doors down, another company gets your attention with a clever marketing campaign.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/2709216720_072408f161_o.jpg[/img]

Anyway, they don’t let you take pictures on the factory portion of the tour, but I found the whole thing fascinating. They have different dips and dyes to produce the different finishes on the bats – all done by hand. They showed how they can carve almost a dozen bats out of a really good piece of timber. The company also showed off their “other” sports products – including gloves (I didn’t know that they made gloves), aluminum bats, golf clubs, etc. There are a LOT of bats on display – each with a story to tell. They recently opened a new exhibit – one featuring baseballs signed by the last 100 years worth of Presidents.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2708573453_ef08e5fb14_o.jpg[/img]

[img] http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2396/2708573795_8711b933b1_o.jpg[/img]

I thought this display was really cool.

[img] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2709390866_1ac6602567_o.jpg[/img]

All of the other signed balls were on a blue pedestal if the president was a democrat or a red pedestal if the president was a republican. This was to set the scene for the 2008 election – with one pedestal half painted blue and half red….and Obama is on the left and McCain is on the right – I thought that was clever. It was interesting to see some of the presidents that had multiple signatures. For instance, they showcased three Gerald Ford balls – one was signed “Gerald Ford;” one was signed “Gerald R. Ford;” and one was signed “Jerry Ford.”

I would add the Louisville Slugger tour to my list of peripheral “musts” for baseball fans – the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa; the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY; Williamsport, PA for the Little League World Series, etc.

OK…I am exhausted now. There should be one final installment coming…hopefully tomorrow. Heck, it better be tomorrow. I leave for my next trip on Friday!
[url='http://www.joehubers.com/']Joe Huber Family Farm & Restaurant[/url]
2421 Scottsville Rd
Borden, IN 47106

[url='http://www.sluggermuseum.org/']Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory[/url]
800 West Main St.
Louisville , KY 40202
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 05:49:41 (permalink)
Love that shot of the presidential baseball. Nashville's park looks great. Thanks for the update.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2392
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 06:27:36 (permalink)
Steve, great stuff! Love that gui-tar scorebaord. Classic! Those jalapenos look right up my alley. I love how you staged your delicious looking pancakes on the battered Roadfood book. I agree with you on the maple syrup. Even if their prices were lower, it is a pancake house! Why blaspheme them with Mrs. Butterworth or some other such drivel?
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 06:43:49 (permalink)
That Huber stuff looks scrumptious; the Bowens did you right. At some point you should have some Iowa/Minnesota sweet corn; I bet it'd give that Florida ear a run for its money.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6201
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 07:23:36 (permalink)
The presidential baseball is something! What an idea!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 08:46:52 (permalink)
Now that we read what TTM has to say, I am looking forward to hearing from The Mayor about what REALLY happened at Huber's restaurant!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 09:42:00 (permalink)
With regards to the presidential baseballs...

It was really hard to get photos in that exhibit. For obvious reasons, everything had to be shot with no flash - and then enhanced with photo software. The baseball with all of the presidential signatures was a poster that they had hanging by the entrance. They may have even had these for sale? All of the "real" baseballs were on similar blue and red pedestals, under glass, throughout the exhibit.

I really do like the way that they kept the red/blue theme throughout. You will also notice that the "jerseys" hanging above are all red/blue depending on party affiliation, and the jersey number was the sequence in which the man was president.

@Nancypalooza - Iowa/Minnesota sweet corn MAY be better...don't know. It seems the Florida crop can be hit or miss, but I did like the stuff that I had fresh picked at Zellwood. Those folks treat corn like Bubba from Forrest Gump treats shrimp!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 10:11:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

It seems the Florida crop can be hit or miss, but I did like the stuff that I had fresh picked at Zellwood. Those folks treat corn like Bubba from Forrest Gump treats shrimp!

Or the way Rhode Islanders treat Italian Restaurants

Wow- there really was life after me

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 10:27:28 (permalink)
Dale I think they understood that you needed to get back to chasing those dominating women. ;)
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 10:58:14 (permalink)

TTM,

I have just one question:
Wouldn't this board cause the fans to fret too much about the score?
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 14:26:51 (permalink)
Being a pancake lover, that Caribbean breakfast plate with the whole banana's looked absolutley scrumptious....and loving coconut like I do, I would have been in heaven!
And I dont get that excited over breakfast!

WOW.... I think those are the best pancakes I have ever seen!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/07/28 15:33:45 (permalink)
OK Working from distant memory is difficult for the Mayor, but here goes. We welcomed TTM to our humble retirement home mid-morning on that fateful day. Once he and the dogs calmed down and quit sniffing each other, we made the presentation of the Bat we had waiting for him. Louisville Slugger really does a great job in creating these gifts and they make an ideal item for a real fan to enjoy. Here is Steve's Bat-

We then loaded into our truck and headed up to Starlight Indiana, to Joe Huber's Farm Restaurant. After a short run up into the "knobs" as hills are called in this area, we arrived and settled down for a nice lunch.
Steve has become involved with recording his roadfood experiences on digital media, so he set to work photographing everything that came to the table.

Here is our Lunch. While he hit the fried Chicken we selected the Chicken Livers (about half of that order went home to become doggie snacks late that evening.

The young lady who served our lunch as already be introduced earlier in this thread, but you need to see the "eharmony" emotions at work here. She asks us each time we visit when her "Knight" will return to take her away to Sunny Florida??

Then it was back into Town to the Slugger Museum and Bat Factory. This was a nice visit with TTM making sure he got to each of the displays and the gift shop in time to purchase a number of special souveniers.

When we left the Slugger Museum we jumped back across the River to Rocky's Italian Grill on the Riverbank across from the City, for a drink or two and some light nibbles before going to the game.

On to the Bats Stadium and the game with Rochester.

Steve discusses "aftergame" activities that included some 99 cent Margaritas with a new friend at the game! She turned him down!

The Bats Mascot tossed a tee shirt our way, but TTM missed the catch!

So ended our night of fun. Bright and early again the next morning we headed for Lynns Paradise Cafe for Breakfast.
Here's the Menu and my French Toast!

We then followed TTM up to the Interstate to see him off...and caught him stopping here...He claimed it was for a restroom stop before hitting the road...but we think that perhaps he is a closet chain-user !!!

NOW My Friends, You Know The REST OF THE STORY!!!

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1