The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 2 of 8, messages 31 to 60 of 219
buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 7:43 AM (permalink)
Saturday June 14 cont.

Our next stop was McCoy's Public House in Westport, so WJ & TTM could enjoy a microbrew. The place was crowded, especially with what seemed to be several bachelorette get togethers. Since we all wanted to watch the college baseball World Series game on the tv and there were no chairs available, we stood at the bar.

While we were chatting, I felt someone trying to burrow their way between WJ and myself. I turned around and an attractive 25 year old was now between us and she asked if we minded her smoking. Usually, yes, but, now.....not so much. Anyway, she was very outgoing (and a little drunk) and somehow the conversation turned to how much she enjoyed ice fishing when she went to college at St. Cloud State in Minnesota. The idea of this petite young lady sitting out on the ice in the cold, waiting to land fish was extremely funny to us. And yes, you know who, did ask her about lutefisk! I will never be able to think about ice fishing again without thinking of her.

After two beers each for TTM & WJ and a couple of iced teas for me, we decided to move on. By this time, WJ was very tired, so we dropped him off back at his hotel.

WJ, you should have napped instead of taking your walk in that heat. You missed the fun of the rest of that night! Actually, I think you were just trying to get out of pushing a van in the middle of traffic, like we ended up doing. So maybe you are the smart one after all. I'm just glad you didn't incite another brawl like you did in Mobile.

http://www.mccoyspublichouse.com/kansascity/

Since WJ was staying in Country Club Plaza, TTM and I myself had talked about going to Winstead's. This is another famous late night burger joint and there was one located right down the street. Considering how much we both had eaten earlier in the day, neither one of us was hungry. But, being dedicated Roadfooders, we thought we should at least go see what the place looked like. Then I started thinking, I could at least have a milkshake. So, TTM parked and we took some photos of the outside.

Love all the neon!

Since this is one of Kansas City's most popular entertainment areas, the streets were quite crowded. So instead of going in, we headed over towards the other attractive buildings and the fountain. Noticing a van at the intersection, with two teenage boys trying to push, we jumped in to the situation to help.

This is a very busy intersection and it was quickly arranged with the cars next to us that they would wait once the light changed to let us push the van onto a side street. The light turned green, we start pushing and no Travelin Man! I look back and he is playing chicken with the bus behind us trying to retrieve the lens cap off of his camera, which fell into traffic. That was very brave! Wait, is brave the right word? Anyway, we got them parked on a side street and they were very grateful.

After walking around the Plaza for a while and taking lots of photos that didn't turn out of the beautiful fountain, we headed back to Winstead's.

More to come.....

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 8:20 AM (permalink)
    We are headed to Lynn's Paradise Cafe this morning for a breakfast before TTM heads back to Nashville for his flight home. I will add some photos of the Louisville chapter of his journey after he gets his report tagged into this thread. Let it be said that one young Waitress at Huber's Farm Restaurant now had dreams of days enjoyed with a visiting stranger...and the wife of another Bat's Fan has a memory of a ball game that she won't forget for a Long time...The TTM has left broken hearts in Louisville, but he takes his mighty Bat home !

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 9:42 AM (permalink)
      Very, very nice Al. And I can't wait to hear these stories about what a hearbreaker TTM is.

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 2:59 PM (permalink)
        Al-
        Good idea and thank you! I will finish my part of the trip report in this thread.

Saturday June 14 cont.
        The inside of Winstead's also had plenty of cool, interesting things to look at.

Though neither TTM nor I were particularly hungry, neither one of us was going to back down and let the other one be the eating champion. Besides, I think TTM was still stinging from when I called him an "amateur" earlier in the day when he didn't finish his chocolate cake at Niecie's.

We both ordered single steak burgers, which come wrapped in paper.

These are nice little crispy edged patties.

They also had 50-50 on the menu, meaning a french fries/onion rings combo.

Though, looking at the photo, it is more like a 75-25, in favor of the french fries. The fries were just fine, but the dark crusted, greasy o-rings were delicious.

To drink, TTM ordered the strawberry shake,

while I went for the cherry.

Notice how his came in an attractive glass, while mine came in a paper to-go container? We naturally assumed this was a hint from the waitress that she wanted him to stick around and me to leave. But, her explanation was that the small comes in a glass, while the mediums are delivered in paper.

Our waitress seemed to be especially amused by our picture taking and antics and spent a lot of time chatting at our table. When we found out she had never been to Stroud's before (can you imagine living in KC and never visiting Stroud's?), we invited her to go with us. But, she didn't think her husband and three kids would appreciate that!

The waitress suggested a place called Chubby's not too far away that also served late night burgers, but we both had punished our bodies enough for one day. Besides, I still had some leftover chocolate cake waiting for me back at my hotel!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=2632&RefID=2641

More to come.....

ChiTownDiner

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 3:04 PM (permalink)
          Nice job on the extra stop...I know the feeling...one more! Ummm Cherry - my favorite! How was it BB?

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 3:05 PM (permalink)
            CTD-
            Maybe a little thinner than I would like a shake to be, but it did have a very strong cherry flavor. I liked it!

ChiTownDiner

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 3:18 PM (permalink)
              BB - At our Cozy Dog Drive In stop last weekend, they had self serve cherry and vanilla syrup for making your own strength cherry coke! Let's just say - we indulged! Very, very cherry...

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 3:22 PM (permalink)
                BB

That steak burger looked awesome, those shakes looked good too.

So you didn't take the hint to leave and let TTM & his waitress have some fun.....

Your trip looks like you had a great time, I can't wait to see the rest of the adventures and hear the others join in on thier adventures too.

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 3:39 PM (permalink)
                  A funny little moment that I am going to stick in here, because I am afraid I will forget it.

When we first got in WJ's & TTM's car rental at the airport, TTM started plugging in the name of our destination in the Hertz Never Lost GPS. When he put in restaurants, Kansas City, Kansas, the first thing that came up, was it asking if we wanted a listing of popular chains! All three of us got a laugh out of that. If it only knew!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 4:34 PM (permalink)
                    What a fun report-I am enjoying the on going contributions.You guys must have had a riot, from the sounds of it!

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 6:14 PM (permalink)
                      Sunday June 15

I was quite happy to sleep in late and relax in my hotel all morning. TTM did the same. WJ walked to a coffee shop near his hotel. By the time we all got moving, Arthur Bryant's was already open.

One of the most famous barbecue parlors in the country, we were very curious to see if they were still that good.

Various shots from the inside.

Here is the menu, if you have really good eyes!

Once again, I went for the burnt ends sandwich,

with a side of baked beans. Honestly, this sandwich was just okay. Maybe I was expecting more. It definitely did not have the flavor of the one I had the day before at LC's.

Both WJ & TTM got the beef and ribs meat trays. The only difference, I think, was TTM got half the portion size.

I will let both of them chime in on the particulars, but neither one of them liked their food. TTM especially, was disappointed, since he had loved the food on a previous visit.

The fries were also a notch or two below what we had at LC's.

Well, at least the drinks were big!

Maybe Arthur Bryant's was just having a bad day. I don't know. I can tell you out of the three barbecue parlors we tried, we all agreed that it was an easy dead last.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=213&RefID=213

After a very short drive, we arrived at the Negro League Baseball Hall of Fame.

Since all three of us are big baseball fans, this was a very enjoyable way to kill a few hours. Sorry, no picture taking on the inside, a policy they were VERY serious about.

We did spot a young lady in a red St. Cloud State t-shirt, but alas, it wasn't our ice fisher.

More to come.....

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                        RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 7:24 PM (permalink)
                        BB, I've catered several large events at the Jazz Museum. The last one was for 450 people, last month. It is a wonderful place with a great staff. I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Sorry to hear about Arthur Bryant's. I grew up with AB's, but haven't been much in the last several years because it just isn't the same as it was. I've decided I truly hate that sauce!

LC's is my favorite. Followed closely by Oklahoma Joe's.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                          RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 8:04 PM (permalink)
                          beffetbuster, for years I have been among those who rejected the notion that Arthur Bryant's has been going downhill.

Until Christmas, 2007 that is, when we had a similarly disappointing meal. Mrs. Roadhouse and I split a burnt end sandwich and a variety of sides, all of which were subpar.

While I too am a fan of LC's, my current favorite in KC is BB's Lawnside BBQ. It is an absolute perfect balance of good food and great ambience, representing, IMHO, everything a great greasehouse should be.

Love the report, BTW. Lot's of familiar haunts making me just a little but jealous. That's okay, I'll be there in October for the American Royal and I'll get my fix.

Buddy

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 9:34 PM (permalink)

Not to give away TTM's Story... But look closely at the look our young waitress was givingTHE TRAVEL' MAN. You could write a Romance Novel based on that look !!

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                              RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 10:22 PM (permalink)
                              Dang! She's looking at Steve the way Al looks at a full rack of ribs!

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2933
                                RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Tue, 06/24/08 11:01 PM (permalink)
                                Man, I have to say I loved reading this far, thanks.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                  RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 4:41 AM (permalink)
                                  LC's burnt ends had some great looking crust!

I see what you mean about Arthur Bryants; that sliced beef looked much too dry to me..

Those burgers from the Town Topic and from Winsteads both look real good, and even real similar.
                                  And they both look griddled to me.

It's good if you always put the name of the city next to the name of the restaurant when you first descibe the place. ("LC'S, Kansas City") . It took me a little while with some of the places to realize if you were still in Kansas City, or if you moved on. Cause I know you guys are usually continuously on the move..
                                  (Plus the fact that lots of Roadfooders just SKIM these reports, or just look at the PICS...)

Great job! I know how much work goes into these trip reports, (tons of editing, pasting, and posting)
                                  But it's fun, cause it comes from the heart.... and it's like a grass roots thing.
                                  (unlike reading some mainstream Frommer book on Kansas City) (ugh)

Look forward to the next excerpt!

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 6:36 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Dang! She's looking at Steve the way Al looks at a full rack of ribs!
                                    Or the way a lion looks at an antelope!

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 8:46 AM (permalink)
                                      Sunday June 15

We had very much wanted to go visit the sculpture gardens outside of the art museum, but a thunderstorm rolled through KC, so we were limited to indoor activities. TTM was disappointed, since he had wanted to go snap some photos of the giant shuttlecock, and no, that is not a euphemism. We headed back to McCoy's Public House for a few more beers and watch the college World Series.

Unfortunately, the tvs were tuned in to soccer and something else. An uneventful visit, except I did spot a table across the room where I saw someone actually photographing their food. Boy, did they look stupid!

Time for one more stop before I had to fly home. And the trip couldn't have ended at a better place than Stroud's, home of the world's best fried chicken!

We went to the Oak Ridge Drive location, since this one is closest to the airport. After an unexpectedly short 20-30 minute wait, we were seated.

Meals here start with excellent, comforting chicken noodle soup.

Everything here is served family style, like the green beans,

cottage fries,

and mashed potatoes and gravy.

Cinnamon rolls are supposed to be delivered to the table at the beginning of the meal. Our waitress said they were out at the moment and they would bring us some as soon as they were ready. We were well into our dinner, when they arrived.

I have always enjoyed the cinnamon rolls, but coming out piping hot, straight from the oven? It blew me away how good it was. This was better than any other dessert I had over the weekend. Yes, even better than the cakes from Niecie's!

But the reason to come here is for the pan-fried chicken.

Incredibly juicy and delicious, this is fried chicken perfection!

I think Stroud's is on the short list of places any Roadfooders should try to visit at least once in their life.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=189&RefID=189

Time was getting short for me, so I said my goodbyes to the guys and dashed off to the aiport. Unfortunately, my flight back to Pittsburgh ended up getting delayed for over two hours. I didn't get home until after midnight. Had I known, I could have spent that extra time eating more cinnamon rolls and chicken at Stroud's!

The baton has been passed.....

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 8:53 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

BB - At our Cozy Dog Drive In stop last weekend, they had self serve cherry and vanilla syrup for making your own strength cherry coke! Let's just say - we indulged! Very, very cherry...
                                        It sounds like you showed at least some restraint. If I was there, I would have had you provide a distraction, while I stuck my head under the spigot!

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                          RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                          So you're still in Kansas City? How many days were you in Kansas City for?
                                          I went to that famed Jess and Jims steakhouse awhile back, for their famed Playboy steak...
                                          did'nt think it was all that, though...

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
                                            RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                            BBuster,

What, no fried chicken liver appetizer at Stroud's? Shame, shame!

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                                              RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 9:45 AM (permalink)
                                              Waitress' thought bubble:

"That guy looks like he has six pounds of undigested
                                              red meat in his colon. I gotta get me some of that. "

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                                RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                                LOLOL. Between that and the euphemism crack from Mr. Cliff up there, you guys are bringing the funny today! You guys should have a Fark contest with that picture.

Oh Cliff, those cinnamon rolls just about brought tears to my eyes. Loverly.

buffetbuster

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                                  Travelin Man-
                                                  Some attractive young woman is making googoo eyes and you can barely keep your eyes open! What gives? Did the Scotties keep you up all night?

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
                                                    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 11:48 AM (permalink)

Travelin' Man's thought bubble:

"I've got six pounds of undigested
                                                    red meat in my colon. I can't even look at this cute waitress until I get rid of some of that. "

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                                      • Location: Round Rock, TX
                                                      RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                                      Excellent report, y'all. Awesome trip!

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                                                        • Location: Franklin, NJ
                                                        RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 1:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        Totally enjoyed every minute of it! The laughter... the tears (brought on by not being able to taste any of that delicious looking food!!). What a fantastic trip report! Sue

ChiTownDiner

RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 3:43 PM (permalink)
                                                          BB - Those photos are so clear...great, great job! I can really appreciate them as I get started with the camera. Not quite just point and shoot!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
                                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga Wed, 06/25/08 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                                            It looks as if you guys had a terrific time. Thanks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 2 of 8, messages 31 to 60 of 219

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com