BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/25 16:25:48 (permalink)
I have received notes from both WJ and TTM to tell me they got home safely, if a little worn out. They will be posting additional reports and photos shortly.

However, if anyone would care to guess at what TTM had just asked the young lady on the other side of him, feel free to post your thought. Perhaps that will speed up his own description/testimony!! I will say she was a very nice person, with a great sense of humor and held her liquor quite well.

ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1587
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/25 17:42:31 (permalink)
Thanks for the great report. Especially enjoyed the pics of Arthur Bryant's. The only time I was ever in there was in 1976 on a cross country trip, and today it looks like an Applebee's compared to what it looked like then. OK, this was 32 years ago, but I do recall that I also went to Gates and Sons that same day and liked that much more. Back then all we had to go by was Calvin Trillin's American Fried book, so naturally KC was an important stop for us novice roadfooders. No Roadfood Books and no Websites like this one. --Ken
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/25 18:09:53 (permalink)
Ken,
Arthur Bryant's was our first stop using the first edition of Stern's Roadfood. We have been back several times over the years since...some good, some not as good. Since we are usually just passing thru Kansas City on our way either East or West, the location near I-70 made a convenient stop for some good BBQ.
We haven't made K C a destination other than when we got one of the Scotties from a rescue outfit there. We need to make time for a multi-stop visit soon.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/25 20:50:19 (permalink)
Great reports. i have loved them all. You guys know how to party.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/25 21:32:05 (permalink)
Looks like this trip made someone famous...look what I just picked up at the local magazine shop...

Outstanding reports!

I am soooo jealous that my travels of late have been WAY less fun!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18272
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/25 21:36:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I have received notes from both WJ and TTM to tell me they got home safely, if a little worn out. They will be posting additional reports and photos shortly.

However, if anyone would care to guess at what TTM had just asked the young lady on the other side of him, feel free to post your thought. Perhaps that will speed up his own description/testimony!! I will say she was a very nice person, with a great sense of humor and held her liquor quite well.

Well, here's the deal: You show me your and I'll show you mine.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/25 21:57:56 (permalink)

quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen[/i

I'll just go as far to say that whatever he asked her, she seemed very responsive.
I won't go as far to say that liquor was involved.

And yes, she loved his sense of humor. Most likely, TTM was just saying something like "Did you ever see RIBS so BIG before?!? Wow ?!?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/26 08:19:39 (permalink)

At last, After 5 years.. Michael Hoffman demonstrates his sense of humor!! This is a thread to preserve.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/26 16:43:35 (permalink)
After laughing heartily at Mr.Hoffman's response, I thought the same thing-" I just saw a sense of humor!!"
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/26 18:25:33 (permalink)

OK WJ and TTM, ignore your careers and the stacks of work you have to catch-up (no pun) on, Lets get this report on the site before the All-Star game !
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/26 19:11:55 (permalink)
RE: The little imp on the coca-cola advertisement/parking sign on your trip

That happens to be the Sprite Boy. The "Sprite Boy" character, who first appeared with Santa Claus and was used in Coca-Cola advertising in the 1940s and 50s, was created by artist Haddon Sundblom, the same artist who created the drawings for coca-cola of the jolly red suited Santa based on Clements poem. Sprite Boy's name came because he is a sprite -- an elf. Sprite Boy first appeared in ads in 1942, while the drink Sprite was not introduced until the 1960s. The drink, which sparkled, was named after Sprite Boy.

The Sprite Boy, as an elf (or imp, as one might suggest) had the distinction to be the character Coca-cola used to introduce the shortened name "Coke." So ultimately, Coke used Sprite Boy for non-holiday ads as well:

BTW: EXCELLENT TRIP REPORT!!! looked like a ton of fun. Thanks for all the pics and descriptions!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3731
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/26 23:03:09 (permalink)
Wow...I guess I'm up next. I have some additions to the previous Kansas City area discussion. I did arrive first, so I was up a meal on even the legendary buffetbuster!

Not really taking into account the magnitude of the red meat that I would consume over the next 10 days, I decided I needed to kick my vacation off with a nice, juicy steak. I narrowed my choice to Golden Ox, Hereford House, or Jess and Jim's. I'd like to claim that I did endless research, but I really just picked when I got to the hotel - and I really only picked Golden Ox because it was near Kemper Arena, and I thought I would see an additional sports facility to get this trip off on the right foot.

This is an old-style, classic steakhouse, if ever there was one.

From what I have read, this is where the "Kansas City Strip" was invented - but, who knows? The restaurant opened in 1949, and, to me, it looks like it may not have been remodeled since the Sixties. That's not really a bad thing as far as I am concerned. I also understand that the current owners began operating the restaurant in mid-2004, and have had something of a time re-generating business.

This steakhouse is located in a very out-of-the-way area of Kansas City - in other words, you have to be going there to go there. I suppose that they would do some serious business when there is an event at the arena, but on this Friday night, it was disturbingly empty. Truthfully, I was a little apprehensive when I arrived to find a half-empty restaurant.

Unfortunately, this plate looks a lot better than it actually was. The famed strip steak was severely undercooked. I ordered "medium" and followed my temperature order with the words "pink, not red" as a descriptor. In the past, I have found this helpful when ordering in a steakhouse where I was not familiar with their cooking reputation. The few people to whom I have shown this picture all immediately thought that the steak looked undercooked (I don't see it from the picture, but I did the minute I sliced through). Also, the fries were tepid. I was encouraged to order the "cheesy potatoes," which were described as the house specialty. Since I was meeting Cliff later on for a burger, passing on the extra cheese calories seemed like a good idea.

I sent the steak back - something I almost never do. It came back with an almost over-the-top apology and perfectly cooked. They also replaced my fries (I never said anything about them being cold) with the cheesy potatoes - essentially Potatoes au Gratin, which were good.

The steak was nice and juicy, and when prepared as ordered, quite tasty. Naturally, the wait staff saw me taking pictures - which may have accounted for the over-the-top attentiveness to my displeasure with the first steak. My server asked about my trip, and where I'd heard about their steakhouse. He gave me a pretty good history lesson, and even told me that Arthur Bryant was once the owner (or part-owner) of Golden Ox and had a hand in Hereford House, too. They said that business started going downhill when Mr. Bryant started working his kids into the business fold. Keep in mind - third or fourth hand information that may make a better story - don't know - but, it was what I was told.

Quite frankly, I thought this was a pretty decent value for a steak. The service was top notch and the food was above average. I did limit my bill by not ordering alcohol, appetizer, or dessert, but, this isn't outrageous by any stretch.

Golden Ox Restaurant
1600 Genessee St
Kansas City, MO. 64102

More coming...
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 00:44:00 (permalink)
Just a little more Kansas City and then on to Omaha!

I really liked Independence. I wished we had a little more time to poke around this town.

Inside Clinton's, I had ordered the "Cookies and Cream" (buffetbuster couldn't remember what I had ordered).

This may be my favorite picture of the whole trip (well...in KC).

I loved the "soda jerk" t-shirts, and I wanted to take a photo of one. As an added bonus, reflected in the mirror is a nice shot of wanderingjew checking out this fine young lady's ummmm...well, you know.

After wanderingjew bailed on us at 10 pm on a Saturday night, buffetbuster insisted that we hit one of his favorite spots in KC.

After Stroud's, we had to part ways with buffetbuster, and I was able to convince wanderingjew to hit the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art for my intended photo op....

See the statue in front of that building? I was curious as to what that could be. Turns out....

...there is one of Rodin's famous The Thinker statues! I was always curious what this guy was thinking about. Who would have thought that it was...

...the impending arrival of a mutant, giant shuttlecock. I didn't know that Rodin was such a sci-fi guy - but, I guess that's why you go to museums - to learn new stuff.

For more information, the link to the[url='http://www.nelson-atkins.org/']Nelson-Atkins Museum web site[/url].

We walked over to Country Club Plaza, which houses a number of Kansas City's famed fountains. The centerpiece of which is the JC Nichols Memorial Fountain.

This was one cool fountain.

One of the places that I didn't get the chance to visit was Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ. Fortunately, I was able to get this shot of wanderingjew "taking the bull by the horns," so to speak. If only that bull knew what he was planning on eating later on in Denver....

Dale did confide in me that now that buffetbuster was gone, we can finally start enjoying our trip. To that end, I promised I wouldn't post this picture of a very satisfied wanderingjew coming out of....

One thing that I really did like about Country Club Plaza was that the integrity of the older architecture remained intact despite the whole area being overrun with stores like Restoration Hardware, The Gap, and, of course, the Cheesecake Factory.

If you care to see the rest of my pictures from KC, you can find them on my [url='http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/collections/72157605838997349/']flickr page[/url].

Omaha's coming (as soon as I get the pictures uploaded)....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10085
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 08:08:06 (permalink)
Excellent photos TTM, especially your sundae! I am bummed I missed out on the giant shuttlecocks, though. What I want to know is why I look drunk in the photo, when it was me who was drinking the iced teas?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 08:11:30 (permalink)
Scorereader-
Thank you very much for the info on Sprite Boy. I had no idea about the history.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7686
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 08:15:39 (permalink)
I'm finally peaking my head out from reality (if only for a brief moment)

I will post a few additional photos and footnotes for Kansas City (and a photo for "coming attractions" for my Chicago visit in September)

After TTM posts about the Omaha portion of our trip, I will then post about Denver and Albuquerque...

Now its "back to work" time for me, in fact I will be coming in Saturday as well for a few hours in order to play "catch up".

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 09:17:45 (permalink)

OK Now we have a plan. I have the second part of the Louisville Chapter ready to go when you non-retiree's get around to posting the Omamha, Denver, N Mex, and Nashville segments. This is like shooting a movie then piecing it together in the editing room !!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 09:29:31 (permalink)
It just struck me this morning the scope of this trip by the guys and all the different cities they will be reporting from. This is going to be a real monster!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 15:32:30 (permalink)
A couple of quick thoughts before I begin the section on Omaha....

Re: Town Topic -- This place was fun, and funky, but does not belong on any list of "Ten Best" or some such. I think it was on the Playboy list that came out earlier this year. I would think that Playboy may know fried chicken better than burgers, given their proclivity for breasts and thighs.

Re: Niecie's -- This is one the best breakfasts, albeit not at all traditional, that I have ever had. To top it off, the waitstaff alone is worth the visit - these people are great. When I gave her a hard time about having a sign on their building that said "CHICKEN AND WAFFLES - ALL DAY EVERY DAY" and then telling me that they have no waffle iron, she just looked at me and said "Well, you can HAVE chicken and PANCAKES!" Hilarious.

Re: LC's -- I really wish I was hungry enough to eat here. I ate maybe a third of my burnt ends "sandwich." I was just too stuffed from a full breakfast, OK Joe's, Clinton's, a beer at the brew pub....too much! Oh well, I could tell it was a great meal - I just wish that I could have enjoyed it a little more.

Re: Arthur Bryant's -- This hurts to say. Really. But, this meal flat out sucked. I am an unabashed fan of Arthur Bryant's - have been three times in the last five years (so this is not a memory of "AB's hasn't been AB's since Arthur died" or "...for 20 years" or anything like that). It was my favorite BBQ joint outside of Texas (which says something). This was not just a place that didn't live up to its memories - this was a bad meal. The three of us sat their silently eating - and I think it was because no one wanted to be the first to say it. But, the brisket was dried out, the ribs were, too. The fries were good - easily the best thing on the table. After the meal and as time went on, the more I realized just how bad it really was - and this was $25 for a plate of food bad - not just a $10 burnt ends sandwich bad. I was bummed...really bummed. This doesn't mean that I will never go back, but to me, one meal in KC has always meant Arthur Bryant's - and everything else could wait. That is just not the case any more for me. Arthur Bryant, the man, should still be on BBQ's Mount Rushmore, but a blind recommendation for this place won't come from me.

Re: Negro League Museum -- This should be a must stop for any baseball fan, or any follower of the history of this country. This was my second visit, and I would gladly go again the next time I am in town. Admission was $6 - and worth every penny.

Re: Stroud's -- Wow! This was some really, really good fried chicken. Sometimes it is hard for places that others have raved about to live up to the hype. This was not the case for me at Stroud's - one could make the argument that the hype is understated. I am glad that someone had previously warned me that the breading at Stroud's was not as flavorful (perhaps "salty" is the word some would use) as others on the fried chicken circuit, but the flavor is in the juiciness of the chicken. When I saw the size of the breast pieces, I was initially worried that they would HAVE to be dried out to be cooked thoroughly - not the case at all!

If I were ranking the places that I ate in KC (and that is so tough to do given the nature of a $35 steak versus a $2.10 single hamburger), I would go as follows:

Stroud's
Niecie's
LC's
Oklahoma Joe's
Town Topic
Golden Ox
Winstead's
(which was still really good)
Clinton's (may have scored higher if they had homemade ice cream)
Shoe leather
Bowl of cereal the consistency of golf balls
Arthur Bryant's
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 20:00:05 (permalink)
Epilogue and Footnotes

Gee, I feel like I'm writing a thesis here...

I'm so thankful for my local coffeehouse. The owner of Main Street Coffee is a dedicated proprietor who is on the job by 5AM - I told him about my trip in advance and I was so thankful that he had my French Roast ready when I arrived at 5:20am (they don't open until 7AM!)

My 7AM flight out of TF Green took my to my layover at Midway in Chicago

With a couple of Atkins Protein Shakes under my belt- I was hungry!
I then realized, "hey I'm on vacation, I can eat now"

So......................when in Rome (or Chicago)
I made my way into one of these

A "Chicago Style" charred dog from Gold Coast Hot Dogs

I've said it before and I'll say it again- it was like a vegetable garden exploding in my mouth- although the charred version added some "zing" to the mellow taste of the dog.

I arrived in Kansas City shortly after 11am. I got my luggage and took the shuttle to the rental car agency. TTM and BB arrived and whisked me away and before I knew it I layed eyes on this sign

and realized "hey toto, we're in Kansas now!"

Here's a "somewhat" better photo of the Smokey Joe at Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City KS

As a "city boy" from "back east" I'm still amazed at the mode of transporation that people still rely on in "flyover country"

Here's TTM

Unlike me he FAILED to grab that bull by the horns- perhaps symbolic of a "special delicacy" he chose to decline during the latter part of our trip

After TTM and I went to the Nelson Atkins museum, we walked over to Jardines a really cool Jazz Club across the street from my hotel- TTM didn't stay, but I did- it was young talent night and it's a pleasure to know that young folk are keeping Jazz alive-I heard some great musicians that evening while enjoying the local Boulevard Ale

I also rediscovered a fantastic coffee house in Kansas City called The Broadway Cafe located in the Westport Neighborhood about a mile walk from my hotel- I walked there both Sunday and Monday Morning. Not only was the coffee strong and flavorful but they had an Oat Bran Square that really hit the spot...

My thoughts about the restaurants we went to weren't that different than TTM's or BB's.

Oklahoma Joe's was great- I really enjoyed the Smokey Joe but thought that the smokeyness was a tad overdone- the beans were great

LC's was just fantastic- I've had burnt ends before at Jack Stack's and found them bland- LC's had the right balance of flavor and smoke
and the Fries were the best I had in KC

Arthur Bryants was the biggest dissapointment of the trip- Bland Cold Dry Brisket and Ribs (well the ribs werent' cold) what a contrast from my first visit in 2000- well at least the fries were good

Strouds- outstanding as always...

I'm going to leave this portion of the trip with this...

Part of the Jazz Museum, this is The Blue Room, which is where Jazz Musicians perform on almost a nightly basis.
Slim Strummer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 21:17:42 (permalink)
Simply outstanding.

I am glad to see that WJ wears his Yankee gear outside of New England as well.

--Alex
kkrhmom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/27 23:43:23 (permalink)
Wow...what an awesome report!!! Great photos, lots of laughs. Can't wait to see the next chapter in the saga.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2886
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/28 07:00:18 (permalink)
TTM - Your "Town Topic" line was the best of the day...I'll be laughing all day...Thanks!

WJ - The Smokey Joe does look great! Keep 'em coming.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/28 08:39:46 (permalink)
TTM & WJ-
As I was driving to the airport in KC, it occurred to me that we hadn't discussed the food at Stroud's very much. I think we were all too busy eating and then I left in a hurry. So, I wasn't really sure if you guys liked it as much as I did. Glad to read you put it at #1, TTM.

Oh yeah, great photos by both you guys!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6648
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/28 17:28:01 (permalink)
Great photos and reports from all! Thanks!
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2392
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/30 04:12:43 (permalink)
Fantastic, stellar report guys! Those burgers at Town Topic and Winsteads look good and crusty! Chicken and pancakes might just catch on! BB, those cakes look like a pair of mighty fine substitutes for pie any day. Sorry to hear Bryant's wasn't up to snuff. That brisket did look a bit grayish. I've always wanted to go there. Those burnt ends at LC's look like the BOMB!! Great crust on them! Oh, the torture that is Stroud's! Thanks for a great trip report! Dale, I shoulda sent you some Red Sox gear to wear for the trip pictures!!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6355
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/30 14:18:41 (permalink)
Our local minor league team now has a special for Thursday nights called "Thirsty Thursday" where Beer is cheaper than water. I think I am going to head out to a game this week.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/30 15:05:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

Our local minor league team now has a special for Thursday nights called "Thirsty Thursday" where Beer is cheaper than water. I think I am going to head out to a game this week.

CK,

I'm curious- which team is your local minor league team?
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6355
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/30 16:13:48 (permalink)
The Florence Freedom (Frontier League)

http://www.florencefreedom.com/
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/30 16:20:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

The Florence Freedom (Frontier League)

http://www.florencefreedom.com/

Oh, I thought you were talking about an affiliated team..

They're independent....

For some reason, independent league games never really appealed to me

I went to one independent league game- the Bridgeport Bluefish-
in Bridgeport CT

I just couldn't get into the game because of that.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1