BBQ Beans!!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10353
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/21 15:46:53 (permalink)
The best vcanned beans I've found are Ranch Style Texas beans. They are very good. I doctor them up with onions.
They're part of the ConAgra group.
The Ranch Style brand has its roots deep in the heart of Texas. Great Western Foods, the company that created the brand and the Ranch Style Brand Beans product, traces its origins to a commissary established in 1872 in Denison, Texas.They come in about 6 different varieties
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/21 16:05:21 (permalink)
Welcome to roadfood Anna! That does sound good. Lotsa folks here just cook by sight. I do not see so well and am also hoping Ess can get us a little closer. I could mess up about 10 batches otherwise.

Shoot, I am missing a few ranch style flavors Foodb. I can just find reg, sweet onion, and jalapeno.
Joe
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/21 16:08:59 (permalink)
PapaJoe,
you can't find ranch style black eyed peas???
tell me what you can't find and i'll send them to you
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/21 16:48:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

I have yet to do this as I'm somewhat sane. But some people place a pot of beans in their smokers below a pork butt to catch all of the drippings....I can't imagine they would leave them in for the entire cooking time.

You have got to try this! I got the idea from my Dad years ago. My favorite bean to use is great northerns. Prepare your coals in yuor smoker, when ready add your chips if using. Put a 1lb bag of beans in your water pan(after washing and picking over), add a cut up onion and a little S & P. Add just about 2 cups of water so that you can put your water pan into the smoker without extinguishing your coals. Once water pan is in place, use a pitcher to fill the rest of the way. Add your rack and your butt, I only do a 4-6lb usually. Put on the lid and let it go! About halfway through, open your little side door and take a peek, use a flashlight if you have to. If it look like your beans need water, then and only then remove smoker lid and add. I've never had a bean turn out bad. Oh and easy on the amount of chips you use, you want to taste "beans" not all smoke.

Have you ever added bacon?
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/21 16:52:07 (permalink)
Thanks sooo much Xannie for the offer, you are very nice! I can find the peas. What are the other bean flavors? I bet I can find them somewhere around here. I will save your offer for something really good that can only be found where you are. Hmmm, maybe some rattlesnake? Or maybe those big fried scorpions? :~)
Joe
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5108
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/21 17:24:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stlouisguy

quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Is the the flatulance thread?

This thread stinks!

Braaaaaaaap! Oops! Sorry.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/21 17:31:04 (permalink)
now now twinwillow, you know how they say to bury a texan
give him an enema, then he'll fit in a shoe box.

thanks.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5108
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/21 17:33:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

now now teinwillow, you know how they say to bury a texan
give him an enema, then he'll fit in a shoe box.

You hit the "e" instead of the "w".
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/22 12:18:59 (permalink)
Xannie, please do not think I was making light of your gracous offer. But that Texan in a shoe box thing? funny!!!

Back to the beans, does anyone know the other ranch style flavors?

And, I've heard that soaking de gasses beans. Also hear the boiling and rinsing does. Also the baking soda thing. Does anything really help make beans cause less gas???
Joe
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/22 12:26:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

I have yet to do this as I'm somewhat sane. But some people place a pot of beans in their smokers below a pork butt to catch all of the drippings....I can't imagine they would leave them in for the entire cooking time.

You have got to try this! I got the idea from my Dad years ago. My favorite bean to use is great northerns. Prepare your coals in yuor smoker, when ready add your chips if using. Put a 1lb bag of beans in your water pan(after washing and picking over), add a cut up onion and a little S & P. Add just about 2 cups of water so that you can put your water pan into the smoker without extinguishing your coals. Once water pan is in place, use a pitcher to fill the rest of the way. Add your rack and your butt, I only do a 4-6lb usually. Put on the lid and let it go! About halfway through, open your little side door and take a peek, use a flashlight if you have to. If it look like your beans need water, then and only then remove smoker lid and add. I've never had a bean turn out bad. Oh and easy on the amount of chips you use, you want to taste "beans" not all smoke.

Have you ever added bacon?

Oneiron:

No I have never added bacon as the fat from the pork butt makes the beans plenty rich.
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/22 13:21:27 (permalink)
See reply below.
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/22 13:28:07 (permalink)
Anna, I didn't see you were a new poster. Welcome! For thems that don't see so well, like Papa, lessee, try this:

two big cans of pork and beans, ranch style beans, or baked beans. I used Bush's last time.

one pound hamburg, scrambled

2 packets Lipton's onion soup mix

heat together. do not cook too long as the beans will turn to mush. they will anyway but don't give them a head start. add mustard, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, whatever you fancy until you like the taste. Papa, you can't mess this up, honest. Serve with hamburgs and hot dogs, BBQ, anything really. I just had a thought, I bet pork sausage like Jimmy Dean's or what not would work well too.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2006/09/22 14:32:06 (permalink)
Thanks Essvee! Sounds good and lots of variations. I would have never thought of the onion soupe mix. The sausage would be good I think. Essvee, you should start a thread in the recipe section about the soupe mix and ways to use it.

Since we are doing recipes, here is a fast one when tha gandzillas and their friends converge. One can ranch style, one can pork n beans, whole pack of cheep hot dogs cut up, some BBQ sauce = BBQ beans n weiners. In a hurry I just nuke the beans and dogs seperatly and then mix. They eat em up! Sometimes they leave a bit for me. I like em to. The combo of those two kinds of beans makes a whole new flavor.
Joe
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 582
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/18 05:38:34 (permalink)
Pork N Beans are VERY GOOD!!!

The first time i ever had beans was @ this pizza place and they had them on the Buffet COLD.... Oh my,i fell in love with Baked Beans that day!! (Especially BBQ Baked Beans)

Im getting so hungry for them i might just goto KFC today and get some of thiers (Which i love and havent had in awhile)
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/18 06:56:42 (permalink)
The first time you ever had beans was at a pizza joint? Didn't your mom ever dish them up when you were a kid? Beenies and weenies? I thought that was staple kid food that crossed all boundries.
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/18 07:32:13 (permalink)
Beans.... God's Fruit
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/18 09:43:48 (permalink)
The more you eat......
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/18 11:31:11 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by John A
Me too, but usually only for 2-3 hours. An eight pound butt takes 16+ hours in my smoker, afraid the beans would dry out. John

quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339
Makes sense to me, if the smoker is kept around 220 and the beans would be in there for 8-10 hours. I'd like to see a recipe for this as I'd like to try it. My problem would be finding a kettle to fit in the smoker and one I could use just for that purpose - as I'm sure it would get charred quite a bit. Also, I'm a firm believer of not opening the smoker during cooking, I wouldn't want to have to stir the beans frequently.

Ok first I cook beans in my smoker most of the time. Here’s a recipe you can try. Buy the cheapest Pork and Beans you can find. Although some cheap brands are better than others so try and stay away from those brands that contain molasses, because the molasses has a very heavy flavor and it’s difficult to overcome. Drain ALL THE JUICE from the beans. Then cut an onion and a green pepper up into very very very tiny pieces. If you leave out the green pepper forget the entire recipe it won’t taste right. Dump the beans, green pepper, and onion into a cast iron Dutch Oven. Then add two cups or more (your choice) of brown sugar, and mix well. Put the Dutch Oven (uncovered) into the smoker under a pork shoulder. Now to theedge, John, Oneiron they can’t possibly dry out with all the juice from the pork shoulder dripping into them. Furthermore beans are no different than anything else you put in a smoker, they just continue to cook low and slow. That said there is no exception but the longer they are in the smoker the more of a smokey taste they will pick up. I usually leave them in for 3 or 4 hours. When you remove them allow them to cool somewhat and then scoop off the extra juice that dripped from the pork shoulder. When the shoulder is done and you pull it throw some of both the Brown Betty and the soft meat from the Pork Shoulder into the bean mixture.

But again I don’t want to hear a bunch of “Oh I don’t like green peppers”. If that’s the case don’t use the recipe because it won’t taste rightl. And if you do try it without all the ingredients don't cry to me.
Jack
PS LMAO Maybe I should be the BBQ Nazi. NO BEANS FOR YOU!!
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/19 00:40:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

The first time you ever had beans was at a pizza joint? Didn't your mom ever dish them up when you were a kid? Beenies and weenies? I thought that was staple kid food that crossed all boundries.
Heh YES i didnt used to like them (I hated them as a matter of fact )

I went to KFC today,ah were they good (A little bit too soupy though,i like them a little more dried out (SLIGHTLY -- NOT AS MUCH SAUCE)

Ill go tommorow also and enjoy some more hopefully
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/19 13:45:36 (permalink)
Doc

I was thinking the same thing while I was reading your post.

NO BEANS FOR YOU

That recipe sounds good I will have to try some in my next event.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/19 23:12:20 (permalink)
These Ranch Style beans are what I use for my chili beans.

MikeS.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/20 17:34:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing
Doc I was thinking the same thing while I was reading your post.NO BEANS FOR YOU That recipe sounds good I will have to try some in my next event.

CK,
LMAO yes your right. But it just irritates me to no end that so many people complain that they don’t like green peppers or onions, and if they are cut into tiny pieces or even ground into a mush they love what ever food or dish they’re in. But if they knew you had used green peppers for example they’d turn their nose up at the dish. Of course I also don’t like people that look at a recipe and think, “oh I’ll leave this item or that item out and it won’t matter”. First that’s total disrespect for the author of the recipe and secondly it’s just silly to think it will be the same or better. If you follow that recipe to the letter you’ll make some great baked beans.But then once you try it if you want to change it that's ok. By the way I run my onions and green peppers through a food processor and turn them into mush just to hide them.
Jack
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/21 22:02:29 (permalink)
Jack, I tried it twice, just as U e-mailed it to me. They were good,however; my customers said they did not taste like BQ beans to them. I added 4oz of BBQ Sauce to them and they loved them. Different areas different strokes.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/21 22:52:49 (permalink)

Of all the BBQ Beans we have enjoyed...or endured.. with our BBQ at countess stands and stores, Janet and I are united in saying we think that the old standby Arthur Bryant's consistently puts out the abosolute BEST side of beans served anywhere. That is a subjective review based on our likes and dislikes. What a great dish they are.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4304
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/23 20:11:13 (permalink)
Al, there was a time when I would have agreed with you. However, based on the remarkably second rate food we had at Bryant's this past Christmas season I no longer consider AB's beans (or much of anything else we ate) worth the time, money, or calories spent.

I wish it weren't true but there ya go.

Buddy
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2007/04/24 07:48:48 (permalink)
Bush's with brown sugar, molasses, spicy mustard, bbq sauce, chopped onion, fried chicken skin, ground sausage, and bacon. They always go fast.

John

Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2008/03/08 02:33:10 (permalink)
Oh my lord do those sound good!! (Better than KFCs)
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6347
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2008/03/08 08:24:46 (permalink)
Famous Dave's makes a great baked bean side!
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2008/03/08 23:04:43 (permalink)
I love the beans at BBQ joints. They are the best. I wish I could make them as good.
wingmanBBF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: BBQ Beans!! 2008/03/17 21:27:41 (permalink)
Being a transplanted new Englander now living in S. Florida, barbecue beans and baked beans both conjur up fond memories. Beans seem to be the one thing that the very far North and the South agree are a vital part of a good meal. My mom was from the deep woods of Maine where little had changed from the English roots of the hardy loggers and potato growers.
Beans (usually pinto or red kidney)would be started to soak on Thursday. The water would be changed throughout he day Friday until evening when they would be put into a covered earthen-ware baking pot and placed in the ground with a burned-down fire and hot rocks...dirt-covered and left until Saturday night when they would be opened and served as the main course for dinner with homemade brown bread. They would then be served with every breakfast, particularly Sunday.
During the week on those rare occasions when my working Mom made beans (in the oven) I would relish the next day's school lunch. Her beans were always thick enough that they would become a solid mass overnight in the fridge. She would make a bean sandwich with white bread, a mass of the beans, butter (she was English) and ketchup.
I got smart and started asking for two. She never knew that I sold or bartered the second one and had my choice of the other kids' lunches with my baked bean sandwich as currency.
Bean-Hole beans are still cooked by the Fire Department every Saturday night in Boothbay Harbor, Maine during the summer and sold at the town Green on Rooute 27. I've had them twice...once wonderful, once not good at all...caveat emptor...a dying or dead art.
Since she seldom made beans from scratch, Mom became a true canned bean shopper.
Before Bush, all the beans in cans except B&M (national brand made in Portland Me) and Friends (local New England brand) were and are..steamed in the can.
Mom would buy only B&M or Friends Red Kidney baked for breakfast, peabeans for dinner. She lived in FL for some time before passing at age 93 and never took to Bush's even though they were also baked. She found them thin and watery.
I used to tell people that I'm the only person in CT who knows that barbecue is a noun. I've had a series of smokers including an original Smokaroma...now a good cabinet smoker is my weapon of choice.
I start off with B & M, Bush's if not available, add mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, my own yellow barbecue sauce, S and P and wait until the last three hours of the shoulder.
I open the smoker and cut off a few pieces of the brownies, Mr. Brown(whatever you call it) and put it in the pot with the beans. I leave the beans under the shoulder(s) for an hour, then move them up over the shoulders and leave them still uncovered for the last 2 hours....I still like that crusty little low-water mass of beans at the top of the pot, and if they're too dry, a little water stirred in vigorously brings them back instantly.
My daughter's twelve. She goes to a private day school where I feel uncomfortable among the other parents because I'm the only one that doesn't play pro golf, pro hockey or pro baseball. My poor deprived daughter is mortified to be the only kid in her very small class that "Still fies commercial."...Palm Beach County is a very long way from the woods of Aroostook County, Maine.
Although I like to think that my Mom still lives in her only Grnadchild, until recently, the only affirmation was my daughter constantly correcting my grammar. However, I'm at home mroe these days and able to do the beans more often than I used to when Sarah was smaller.
She does love the baked bean sandwiches and last week she amazed us and asked for two sandwiches in her lunch, particularly since she is now conscious of her figure.......I wonder what she's getting in return..Beluga Sushi????Fois Gras sandwiches????...Maybe I can convince her to bring something home..........
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1