The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ Explanation Book?

X1

• Total Posts: 937
BBQ Explanation Book? Mon, 12/6/10 7:48 PM (permalink)
Does anyone know if there is a book on BBQ that explains what good BBQ is...not just a book of recipes or anecdotes, but what it is about...how it's supposed to be.
I have three friends that love "fall off the bone" ribs (boiled!)...and I went to a somewhat famous BBQ joint down South with a friend who was horrified by the pink "raw" meat ("That's the smoke ring" "What's a smoke ring?" *sigh*)....I need a book that explains why rib meat should cling slightly to the bone, what a smoke ring is, why smoking is the way to go (over boiling), what the word "outside" is and why it's tasty, what "rib tips" are, the difference between "wet" and "dry", etc.
Does such a book exist?

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
    Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Mon, 12/6/10 8:27 PM (permalink)

X1

Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Mon, 12/6/10 8:31 PM (permalink)
      Thanks, Bill...passed that one up when I looked on Amazon earlier. That might work. If nothing else...I think I'd like a copy for myself! 

I'll take other suggestions, too, if anyone has 'em. All three friends are going to get some kind of BBQ book for Christmas.

Holly Moore

Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Mon, 12/6/10 9:14 PM (permalink)
        For something like $75 you can take a day long class that certifies you as a judge by the Kansas City Barbecue Society.  I went through the class last year after I was invited to judge one of their contests.  I learned quite a lot.

The classes are offered throughout the US.

http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2016
          Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Mon, 12/6/10 9:18 PM (permalink)
          Man are you in for a headache!    BBQ varies so much by region & local that cooks can't agree on how  to make BBQ sauce, with out without vinegar; sauce during cooking or after on plate;  dry rub or wet; remove the skin or not (ribs); 4 hour cook or 12 hour cook (slow or slower);  pork or beef;   ..... saltine crackers or croutons;    ... cheese or cheese whiz; soupy chili or so thick you can stand a Ford truck on end in it.   

.. the point is if you like it, .. eat it; then you can write a Roadfood review;    ... or .... cook it the way you like it; then you can write your own Roadfood Cookbook how to make good BBQ!  ...

Good luck on your search for that book!   ......
          <message edited by edwmax on Mon, 12/6/10 9:28 PM>

jackd418

• Total Posts: 49
            Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 7:24 AM (permalink)
            The smoke ring is caused by smoke moving thru the meat as it slowlyyyy cooks(so I've been told)I do par boil ribs in vinegar and water,then finish off on the grill with what ever sauce my strange mind comes up with.

seafarer john

Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 8:29 AM (permalink)
              If "the truth about BBQ" were to be found carved in stone and revealed amid fire and brimstone it would in no way end the argument over what is great BBQ. 

There are two great truths that everyone can agree on: BBQ must be cooked long and slow, and BBQ must be cooked over hardwood smoke. But, how long and how slow? And should it be cherry , mesquite, oak, hickory, apple, etc,etc.
              And how about those of us who will testify that we've had great BBQ cooked over gas or electricity - we just didn't want to know about it.

So, go ahead and search for your unerring bible of BBQ, I hope you never find it - I love the argument too much to give in to any revealed truth. 

Cheers, John 

edwmax

Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 10:50 AM (permalink)
                I get an email news letter from http://www.texasbbqrub.com/.   The newsletter & website has good instructions on how to make good BBQ.    These are generally regarded as being proper BBQ cooking/smoking.     ... there are a couple of other good sites too, but I don't have those url's on hand.      ... A good place to start until you find that BBQ Bible.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                  Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 12:03 PM (permalink)
                  Peace, Love, And Barbecue is a good book but geared a little more toward people who're already a bit familiar with the cooking and culture of barbecue.

If you're looking for a book for someone who's just starting to do his or her own live-fire cooking, "How To Grill" by Steven Raichlen is a good choice.

Brad

X1

Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 4:59 PM (permalink)
                    OK...just to reiterate some points...I'm not looking for a bible of "what makes great BBQ" or what is the best way to BBQ...I'm looking for a book that EXPLAINS BBQ...to very unaware people. I thank you for the suggestions, but I do not need a website or classes, nor do I need the explanations for myself.
                    I need it in book form, one that I didn't write, so that when I talk about smoking vs. boiling, or what a smoke ring is, I don't get a quizzical "WTF are you talking about?" look from my friends. My friends go out to restaurants and their mark of a fabulous rack of ribs is if the meat "fell off the bone" or not. They buy generic (generic!) BBQ sauce from the store when they make ribs at home (by boiling, then grilling, with gas. Then pouring the generic sauce all over them). They think this is the way BBQ should be.
                    When I try to explain, they don't really listen. So I want a book that explains what I'm trying to tell them.

And yes, taste is subjective, and they should eat what they like, but millions of people per day eating McDonald's does not make it good food. Same with BBQ.
                    BBQ should be great..not just "edible".
                    IMO.

KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
                      Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 8:08 PM (permalink)
                      X1

Does anyone know if there is a book on BBQ that explains what good BBQ is...not just a book of recipes or anecdotes, but what it is about...how it's supposed to be.
                      I have three friends that love "fall off the bone" ribs (boiled!)...and I went to a somewhat famous BBQ joint down South with a friend who was horrified by the pink "raw" meat ("That's the smoke ring" "What's a smoke ring?" *sigh*)....I need a book that explains why rib meat should cling slightly to the bone, what a smoke ring is, why smoking is the way to go (over boiling), what the word "outside" is and why it's tasty, what "rib tips" are, the difference between "wet" and "dry", etc.
                      Does such a book exist?

jackd418

The smoke ring is caused by smoke moving thru the meat as it slowlyyyy cooks(so I've been told)I do par boil ribs in vinegar and water,then finish off on the grill with what ever sauce my strange mind comes up with.

only my opinion but boiling any raw meat and you are pouring the flavor down the drain

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
                        Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 9:27 PM (permalink)
                        Have many a book on BBQ. Sauces to how they think it is done. But mankind has been Q'ing since the
                        the earliest fire was built. There is no one single book. If you boil Ribs the terrorist have won 

<message edited by Curbside Grill on Wed, 12/8/10 2:51 AM>

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                          Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 10:07 PM (permalink)
                          X1,
                          I'm not at home, but I seem to recall that Raichlen's BBQ USA gives a good explanation of barbecue styles and proper results.  I think that StinkingChicken has the book, hopefully he can confirm.
                          Jim

p.s. I think I'll change my screen name to CarolinaBrad_Olson.

X1

Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 10:11 PM (permalink)
                            JRPfeff

X1,
                            I'm not at home, but I seem to recall that Raichlen's BBQ USA gives a good explanation of barbecue styles and proper results.  I think that StinkingChicken has the book, hopefully he can confirm.
                            Jim

Jim - I saw that one...and his others...and I bypassed them because they just seemed like a collection of recipes. But I'll look into that particular one a bit further. Thanks!

X1

Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 10:16 PM (permalink)
                              Upon further reading (of reader reviews), it seems that the BBQ USA book does give a history of American BBQ. I'm hoping that means explanations of terms and such. I think I'll pick at least one copy of this one up - Thanks!

edwmax

Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 10:25 PM (permalink)
                                Ok ... so your trying to show a couple of friend the error of their ways.   ... I don't think a book is the way to go; at first anyway.   Show them by making good BBQ that blows them away.   It shouldn't too hard from your description of their BBQ methods.   ... Once they want to know how you did it, then give them the book or instructions.    ... Otherwise, you can't save them from themselves, just lost BBQ souls ....
                                <message edited by edwmax on Wed, 12/8/10 4:07 AM>

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                                  Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 12/7/10 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                  JRPfeff

X1,
                                  Jim

p.s. I think I'll change my screen name to CarolinaBrad_Olson.

I think you mean "ScreamingMonkey, CrouchingTurtle" or something like that.

As for the name change, I fully support it along with your move to Arizona.

X1,
                                  I appreciate your frustration with your friends' ignorance ("Generic BBQ Sauce"?!?  I think I feel my chest tightening up...), but if you've tried to educate them and they refuse to be educated, maybe it's time to give up.  Not on the education, but them as friends.  I mean, really, you give 'em the information and they turn up their noses.  Are they really worth your loyalty and devotion?

As for the boiling of ribs, I live by the old 'Que Credo; "The only time water should come in contact with ribs is if you're giving them a bath or making rib soup.  Any other use of water on ribs leaves them, and the individual responsible for bringing them together, beyond redemption."

Just sayin' is all.

Buddy
                                  <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Tue, 12/7/10 10:28 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
                                    Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Wed, 12/8/10 1:33 AM (permalink)
                                    Here's a detailed explanation of Barbeque:
                                    http://xroads.virginia.edu/~class/ma95/dove/history.htm

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                      Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Wed, 12/8/10 2:20 AM (permalink)
                                      Foodbme

Here's a detailed explanation of Barbeque:
                                      http://xroads.virginia.edu/~class/ma95/dove/history.htm

I hope they didn't get a passing grade for that.

jgillis57

• Total Posts: 8
                                        Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Tue, 01/11/11 8:36 PM (permalink)
                                        I totally agree bbq has different explanations in different regions.....

TooSaucedToPork

• Total Posts: 19
                                          Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Thu, 01/27/11 10:14 PM (permalink)
                                          BBQ for Dummies...big yellow and black book, just like pugs for dummies and computers for dummies.

Explains the history, definition, and regional differences in BBQ.  Also gives a few recipes, and has a lot of reference material.

Neil Gallagher
                                          Too Sauced To Pork Championship BBQ Team
                                          Memphis TN - Buffalo NY

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3593
                                            Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Fri, 01/28/11 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                            I enjoy very much Stephen Raichlen's "Barbecue Bible"  for it's explanations and info. Another good one is The Kansas City Barbecue Society Book. I've got an older edition, and it is skewed towards Kansas style BBQ, but it's very good.

Lost Nation

• Total Posts: 105
                                              Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Wed, 04/20/11 5:28 AM (permalink)
                                              I like Mike Mills... Peace, Love and Barbecue.

Cowtown BBQ

• Total Posts: 8
                                                Re:BBQ Explanation Book? Mon, 06/6/11 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                                Simple.   Throw the friend out.  LOL

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com