The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ House in Gardena, CA - Jay Bee's

Cubs Fan

BBQ House in Gardena, CA - Jay Bee's Fri, 05/16/03 10:40 PM (permalink)
A friend I was visiting took me a place he a fellow workers often went for lunch. He hasn't been to the place in a number of years, but he recollects that grease from the BBQ pit used to ooze onto the street into the gutter. Shades of Arthur Bryant in KC when Calvin Trillin discovered it and publicized it.

Today, the pit has been enclosed in sheet metal. Had a pork BBQ sandwich with hot sauce and cole slaw. Quite good! Saw others with huge portion of BBQ ribs. They also serve BBQ beef sandwiches BBQ beef and pork ribs and sides of cole slaw, baked beans or potato salad. To my mind the typical Roadfood type place.

From it's location in a residential neighborhood and no credits cards, it caters to locals. It takes some doing to find it, but it well worth a trip when in LA.

Name: Jay Bee's
Address is, 15911 Avalon Blvd., Ph.: 310-532-1064 or 310-515-9221.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: BBQ House in Gardena, CA - Jay Bee's Sat, 05/17/03 8:14 AM (permalink)
    And I thought all Gardena was good for was the Poker Clubs!!! Give us an address please!

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
      RE: BBQ House in Gardena, CA - Jay Bee's Wed, 06/4/03 1:37 PM (permalink)
      just a note about Bryant's. I don't think Calvin would claim to have discovered it. Arthur took over the place from his brother charlie. My mother still calls it charlie bryant's, (she's 84). Charlie learned at the feat of henry perry, the BBQ king http://www.iabbq.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=90 http://www.iabbq.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=99
      Calvin has made the KC area a gazillion bucks, though, and for being the KC area's most beloved & famous favorite son, he is held in great esteem. And besides, he's basically the one to popularize "roadfood"! Who knew the food we all grew up on would become a quest we all participate in?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com