BBQ Lore or BBQ BS

Author
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1151
2008/03/01 17:35:21 (permalink)

BBQ Lore or BBQ BS

After 20 some years in the Navy I thought I had heard all the bs the planet could muster up. Then I read this article whee this guy claims that the brisket from the left side of the animal tends to be more tender than the right because the cow lies in it's left side and therefor uses the muscles of the right side to get up. Thus making in tougher due to more use. The author even goes on to describe how to tell one side from the other. I'm no beginner at making a fool of myself but before I go looking for "left side briskets" I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this? I have been know to raise the bulls**t when I think I'm being had.

12 Replies Related Threads

BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/01 18:01:50 (permalink)
    You could use a bucket of steam to brine a right side brisket and make it as tender as a left side brisket.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/01 18:51:29 (permalink)
    You my friend are being had.

Cows will lay down on either side (as the picture shows) as well as on it's haunches (neither side)

I grew up raising beef, and have NEVER heard of such a thing. I also have been BBQing professionally for over 15 yrs and notice no different from the left or the right side.

Yes you can tell by looking at the brisket which side it comes from, but you will never know which side that particular cow favored while laying down.

Stick to rubbing and slow cooking to make the meat tender.

Bones
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/02 00:24:33 (permalink)
    This story seems to have started several years ago. I have seen this story discussed on the BBQ forum a few times. It is a joke now but in the past years was one of the most discussed topics. Today a big topice is the difference between a BBQ Guru and the Stoker unit. You are getting you leg pulled. Dry age your brisket and then smoke it. Some people are using the Kobe brisket in comps.
    justtable
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/02 00:32:09 (permalink)
    I have heard some Texans tell this tall tale before. I, Like you thought it nothing more than idle chatter. We all know brisket, whichever side is a tough cut. Even if the above mentioned had a sliver of truth to it, how much a difference could their be? And after utilizing the various cooking methods that make brisket fall apart, would you be able to pick your left from your right... Another tall tale from Texas...or T.T.T." />
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/02 08:00:11 (permalink)
    I've heard this story myself for the past few years, but have always thought it was so much bs. It even made it into[url='http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E03EFDF153DF93AA35755C0A9649C8B63']this[/url] article in the N.Y.Times back in 2002. Below is an excerpt:

Nonetheless, the competitors have no shortage of folksy wisdom. "We only use the left-hand brisket, the front shoulder," one explains. "Ninety-five percent fo the cows in the fields lie on their right side, and when they get up they push with their right leg. Toughens it up, so we use the left-hand brisket."

justtable
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/02 08:39:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Nonetheless, the competitors have no shortage of folksy wisdom.

As long as you can realisticly seperate the truth from fiction, I feel like these tall tales generally go hand in hand with BBQ. It all has to do with the cook time. I am sure because of the extended outdoor cooking environment,story telling abounds. At least I know on my cooks they do. Add some 12 oz story enhancers, and there you have it. The proving grounds for some of the most far fetched tales known to man...lol
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/02 09:39:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

I've heard this story myself for the past few years, but have always thought it was so much bs. It even made it into[url='http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E03EFDF153DF93AA35755C0A9649C8B63']this[/url] article in the N.Y.Times back in 2002. Below is an excerpt:

Nonetheless, the competitors have no shortage of folksy wisdom. "We only use the left-hand brisket, the front shoulder," one explains. "Ninety-five percent fo the cows in the fields lie on their right side, and when they get up they push with their right leg. Toughens it up, so we use the left-hand brisket."

And WE all know that the NY Times is SO truthful.
    brisketboy
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/02 11:33:42 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your answers and I do appreciate your time. The book in question was Peace Love and BBQ. They say you can't bulls**t a bullsh**ter and they almost got me. I know that you can always come here for real answers. (Your opinions count too.)
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/02 12:27:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

You my friend are being had.

Cows will lay down on either side (as the picture shows) as well as on it's haunches (neither side)

I grew up raising beef, and have NEVER heard of such a thing. I also have been BBQing professionally for over 15 yrs and notice no different from the left or the right side.

Yes you can tell by looking at the brisket which side it comes from, but you will never know which side that particular cow favored while laying down.

Stick to rubbing and slow cooking to make the meat tender.

How can you tell from looking????
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/03 10:38:02 (permalink)
    Not from the pix above,

However, If you look at a brisket, look at the structure of the meat, look for the top, then look which way the muscle fibers are running.

After looking at several you will be able to discern left or right, not that it really matters though.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4317
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/03 13:32:39 (permalink)
    I had actually read this same right side/left side claim on a hand painted sign at a 'Que joint here in the Chicago area. What's interesting about it, is that it was in reference to pigs! This place supposedly specialized in pulled pork and made the same assertion, almost word for word what was in the article about beef.

I read it twice before I decided it was all tongue in cheek.

brisketboy, where was this "article" published?

Buddy

P.S. BTW, the food at this place was unmemorable at best. I remember the sign better than I do the pulled pork.

B.
    brisketboy
    RE: BBQ Lore or BBQ BS 2008/03/03 14:53:58 (permalink)
    It was about a paragraph or so in a book titled Peace Love and Barbeque written by Mike and Amy Mills. I guess he started the 17th Street Bar and Grill and is famous for the Big Apple Barbeque Team. Interesting book despite a lot of regional fol-de-rol we all know comes with barbequing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1