Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
2013/08/30 20:33:18 (permalink)

BBQ & Music

A nifty essay here by the author of "Smokestack Lightning"
 Why Barbecue Doesn’t Travel Well - Bloomberg
I never thought I’d say this, but I miss Arthur Bryant’s original barbecue sauce. 
His Kansas City smokehouse, which was made famous decades ago in a Calvin Trillin essay, served a sauce that’s been described as a mixture of Comet and ketchup. That description isn’t far off. The sauce’s gritty texture negates whatever pleasant flavors its ketchup-like ingredients might offer. By the standards of traditional sweet barbecue sauces, it’s a bitter abomination. But when it comes to personal aesthetic statements, Bryant’s sauce is without peer. It represents a throwing down of the gauntlet; a simple, unwavering declaration: “This is the sauce we serve. Take it or leave it.”
Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama, takes a similar approach. Its mayonnaise-based white barbecue sauce is a shocking sight when slathered on smoked chicken. But it’s their sauce, and they stick with it.
In our barbecue epoch, the personal and the unwavering are sorely missing.
Barbecue has rapidly spread from the great Southern smokehouses of its birth all the way to such once-primitive backwaters as New York and Washington. Even in Midwestern and West Coast cities where barbecue was introduced during the great black migrations of the 20th century, there is a resurgence of interest.
continued.....
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2013/08/30 20:35:28

10 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/08/30 22:49:53 (permalink)
    I love Lolis Eric Elie's work!  A first edition of "Smokestack Lightning" is a treasured part of my library.  I have to agree with his assertion, comparing the migration and evolution of 'Que to that of the Blues.

In my travels, and even in my Sweet Home Chicago, I have eaten at many of these places seeking to bring all the Barbecue Regions under one roof.  The food at most of them has been exceptional, but Mr. Elie is right in saying that they lack the regional fervor and chauvinism of a roadside shack in Texas or the Carolinas, or any of the other great 'Que regions in America.

The article is a solid and entertaining read.  Not too long neither; totally worth any good Roadfooder's time to give it a look.

Buddy
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/08/31 02:30:08 (permalink)
    The molding of the Universal BBQ menu (pun intended) is well entrenched and fast being accepted by 'US' as we seek safety and sameness under the guise of what is "Our Farvorite" style.  Thus "Famous Dave's" is similiar to what HoJo's was 50 years ago, a beacon of safe eating that allows one to place a claim for participation without risking an unsatisfactory experience.

Channel 854 on the Direct-TV list offers 24 hour/day BLUES music. I often have it playing thru the house as my 'Muzak Background' but must accept that it is enough of a stimuli to often get me to go find a BBQ lunch or dinner after several musical hours of conditioning my response to the sounds of what should be appetite-development music.

Two unconnected thoughts at 2:30 AM that were generated more by Buddy's comment than the article itself.

Thank God for Owensboro Style BBQ. So Far it has held it's own in the drowning of the BBQ Regions in Sweet Baby Ray's !!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/08/31 11:33:23 (permalink)
    Hey, IN THE PROPER SITUATION, I like Sweet Baby Rays! I think though, there is the problem. When people don't know what BBQ is except from restaurants that serve variations of popular BBQ, such as Tony Roma's or Famous Dave's, then they won't encourage real BBQ to make the transition from one area's regional specialty to another. Western NC BBQ must be a shock to people who know BBQ only as sweet and out of an oven.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/08/31 11:56:04 (permalink)
    Sweet and out of the oven? That ain't  BBQ, Ed!
    I don't know what music that'd relate to-maybe Johnny Mathis? :)
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/08/31 14:58:28 (permalink)
    It really is amaing how many people think BBQ ribs are made into an oven. How about Jackson Browne's The Pretender?" />
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/08/31 16:03:30 (permalink)
    It's amazing how many people think BBQ is any meat, prepared any way, as long as it's drowned in BBQ Sauce.

How about Sam Cooke's, "Fool's Paradise"?  Had to do a little searching to come up with that one.

Buddy
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/09/01 02:52:33 (permalink)
    Am I the only one who here's Don Ho's old tune "Tiny Bubbles" and gets the image of a Whole Hog Luau (BBQ Hawaiian Style?)

Watched a Foodie program on good 'Truck Stop Food' earlier this evening... Was reminded of this thread when they commented on a Truck Stop in Maine serving Lobster Rolls and BBQ Ribs to two truckers sitting at the counter... making a point about the filling of the customer's desires.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/09/02 11:57:19 (permalink)
    Buddy, that's not even something new. I remember how many times I went to friend's houses when I was a kid for BBQ Ribs, only to find they meant gloppy, falling apart (half the time because they boiled them first) and baked in the oven in something they called "barbecue sauce". To this day, the thoughts of that mess send chills down my spine. 
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5153
    Re:BBQ & Music 2013/09/02 14:25:47 (permalink)
    As it's Labor Day weekend I'm cooking some regional items from Steven Raichlen's book BBQ USA: beef ribs ala Blue Smoke (Manhattan), skirt steak from Sammy's Roumanian (also Manhattan), South Carolina-style smoked pork with mustard sauce, and chicken legs with Gibson/Alabama white sauce.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:BBQ & Music 2014/08/03 17:26:35 (permalink)
    Playing the part of WJ, I'm bumping this thread, which I'd forgotten about.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1