The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ & Oil Change - Mogridders

bigcab

• Total Posts: 99
BBQ & Oil Change - Mogridders Wed, 04/16/08 5:36 PM (permalink)
Has this been in the forum before ? - has to be a top "Roadfood" destination !

http://www.mogridder.com/index.php

It’s a sight to behold: a 35-foot-long fire-engine-red competition-ready barbecue trailer. Tacked onto one end is a Southern Pride 500 barbecue pit, a piece of equipment fearsome enough to impress even the most casual rib eater.A cartoon mural of a hillbilly, shotgun in hand, in pursuit of a fleeing pig astraddle a cow, is painted on the side.

Fred Donnelly is the man behind Mo Gridder’s. It’s his trailer and his ’cue, and the office of his auto repair business doubles as the dining room. (It’s his name, too — Mo Gridder was a childhood nickname.) “MoGridder’s World Famous Smoked BBQ,” it reads on the big sign out front, below the auto shop’s name, “www.MoGridder.com.”

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
    RE: BBQ & Oil Change - Mogridders Wed, 04/16/08 6:08 PM (permalink)
    Sorry but just because they have a big smoker does not impress me. The quality of the que they turn out is what I judge them by. Anyone with enough money can have a fancy trailer and smoker.

John

bigcab

• Total Posts: 99
      RE: BBQ & Oil Change - Mogridders Wed, 04/16/08 6:17 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by RibDog

Sorry but just because they have a big smoker does not impress me. The quality of the que they turn out is what I judge them by. Anyone with enough money can have a fancy trailer and smoker.

John

There is a place in Detroit that uses a Southern Pride smoker (Slows BBQ) and the place gets rave reviews from locals (reservations recommended) from what I've read the SP is sort of set it and forget it. I wonder if you can taste the difference between a commercial SP smoker and someone that uses post oak and a pit ?

rongmtek

• Total Posts: 503
        RE: BBQ & Oil Change - Mogridders Thu, 04/17/08 1:12 PM (permalink)
        I took a slight detour on my way home about a month ago, and had a 3-way platter at MO GRIDDER'S: ribs, links, and brisket. I think it was $15 or $16.
        First problem: everything was microwaved in the trailer before being served, and still was lukewarm to tepid.
        The ribs were actually quite good. Flavor & texture were just right, they needed just a little pull from the bone. Sauce at the table was average. (I will say eating lunch on a formica table in the greasy waiting room of an auto shop suits me just fine.)
        The brisket was very fatty and had not much flavor, smoke- or meat-.
        The links were pre-sliced into small pieces, dry and a bit too chewy.
        So far, one for three.
        I had beans and collards for sides.
        Collards were OK, nothing I could not have made at home. Not much in them but greens, maybe a few bits of pork. And tepid.
        Beans- generic.
        The cornbread I ordered "a la carte" for $2.75 was crappy.
        I won't bother to go back; not bad BBQ for NYC, but really, that ain't saying much.
        Ron

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com