BBQ Pizza

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
memphis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2005/11/27 14:18:37 (permalink)

BBQ Pizza

If you've never tried BBQ pizza, Ya gotta give it a try. I had it in Memphis Tennessee, and went crazy. Not many restaurants around that specialize in this, but here's how I make it at home here in Jersey. Pick your favorite BBQ sauce, Sweet Baby Rays is my preference. Spread the sauce on the pizza crust, just like you would with regular pizza sauce. Throw Mozzerela, and sharp Cheddar cheeze on top. Throw it in the oven, and cook. Take out of oven, throw pulled pork over the top, squirt on some more BBQ sauce, and take that first delicious bite. You'll love it.

32 Replies Related Threads

Mattken85
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/28 00:54:31 (permalink)
    BBQ pizza is superb there is an awesome place in Mountain View, AR called Tommy's Famous. The owner Tommy was raised in Memphis and Chicago, so its almost natural that he would make a killer BBQ pizza. His BBQ is awesome and so is his pizza some of the best around. He also makes his own hot sauce that is very unique some love it some don't only one way to find out.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/29 01:02:33 (permalink)
    The only BBQ pizza in my area (Northern WV) is the BBQ chicken with red onions. I like this BBQ pizza but would love to try some with the pulled pork. I'd make some myself, but i'm lazy.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/29 02:42:27 (permalink)
    Somehow BBQ sauce, and BBQ for that matter on a pizza crust just dont sound right.. Never tried it personally, and doubt I ever would. We have some places that serve it on a Kaiser bun or in a Sub bun.. And thats pushing it. I prefer it by itself on a plate along with some sides...
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/29 04:07:03 (permalink)
    The LaRosa's restaurants around here had a Montgomery Inn topper pizza a few months back. I never tried it because Montgomery Inn has never been my thing, but maybe TJ gave it a shot. We've been doing bbq chicken pizza at home for years, and we've made some killer pizzas using taco sauce and salsa with grilled chicken.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/29 08:12:11 (permalink)
    I consider myself a pizza purist, I s'pose. I don't even care a lot for chicken, thai chicken, or anything on a pizza except maybe sausage or pepperoni as far as meat is concerned. I've had some of those other pizzas but none has made a lasting impression on me.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/29 11:20:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wallyum

The LaRosa's restaurants around here had a Montgomery Inn topper pizza a few months back. I never tried it because Montgomery Inn has never been my thing, but maybe TJ gave it a shot. We've been doing bbq chicken pizza at home for years, and we've made some killer pizzas using taco sauce and salsa with grilled chicken.
    I can't stand LaRosa's - so no......also as I learn more and more about BBQ from what i read here and in a few other places, Montgomery Inn's luster (for me) has dimmed considerably. The folks at Junebug's claim to have worked there before and also claim that Montgomery Inn "paints" the grill marks on and bake the ribs. Bizarre.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/29 12:32:46 (permalink)
    We get a BBQ Pepperoni pizza from Pizza King or a local place called Nick's. Both are great! It looks to me like the trick to BBQ on a pizza is to use a little less than you would with pizza sauce. Cook it a little longer until the BBQ gets real sticky! Also most pizza places around here have a Hawaiian pizza. It is Ham, Pineapple and red onions with BBQ sauce and it is good but I only want a slice or so, it is more like a desert pizza to me.

Butch
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/29 14:03:51 (permalink)
    I had a wood oven pizza with a BBQ type sauce (thin layer), smoked salmon, and red onions.
    It was pretty good. But, definately not your typical pizza.

For an appetizer type meal when watching football, it's good. But when I'm craving pizza nothing works like a Genoa: pepperoni with thick cut salami.

plb
    • Total Posts : 1036
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/29 16:51:47 (permalink)
    Pizza King / Sir Pizza (subject of more than one thread here) specialize in BBQ pizza.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/30 00:37:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

I can't stand LaRosa's - so no......also as I learn more and more about BBQ from what i read here and in a few other places, Montgomery Inn's luster (for me) has dimmed considerably. The folks at Junebug's claim to have worked there before and also claim that Montgomery Inn "paints" the grill marks on and bake the ribs. Bizarre.

Mio's also has a very good bbq chicken pizza. I'm glad you've seen the light about Montgomery Inn. Pork chops in ketchup. I can do that well with my head tied behind my back.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/11/30 20:18:54 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

Mio's also has a very good bbq chicken pizza. I'm glad you've seen the light about Montgomery Inn. Pork chops in ketchup. I can do that well with my head tied behind my back.

After many trips to Cincinnati over the years, Dad and I finally went to Montgomery Inn last year. I had my reservations walking in and my low expectations were well met. Now don't get me wrong--the food, although way overpriced, was tasty, but, the word "Barbecue" should not be applied to this establishment in any way shape or form.

There's a similar type place here in Chicago called The Gale Street Inn. They are a well established institution on the northwest side of the city. They are known as a "rib place", not a barbecue joint. The ribs are indeed baked and never exposed to smoke or fire and yet they have been popular with the masses for decades. Go figger.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/22 23:48:21 (permalink)
    One question.. WHY?...
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/23 03:06:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

One question.. WHY?...

They've never had the real thing.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/23 18:58:29 (permalink)
    We made BBQ pizzas in the place I worked in 1969 at college (Ball State).
    The procedure was to pour a ladel of regular sauce on the pizza shell, then a ladel of bbq sauce, and mix them together on the shell, then add the goodies.

They said that the bbq sauce was too thin and would run off while baking, so we I have continued that theory at home: "cut the sauce."
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18648
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/23 19:44:03 (permalink)
    I would have to rank the idea of barbeque apizza right up there with idea of Hawaiian apizza -- two things that should not be eaten by human beings with taste buds.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/23 20:25:18 (permalink)
    Gizmolito,
    Were you there when David Letterman was there?
    The Bear
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/23 20:31:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I would have to rank the idea of barbeque apizza right up there with idea of Hawaiian apizza -- two things that should not be eaten by human beings with taste buds.

My sentiments exactly!
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/26 16:48:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Gizmolito,
    Were you there when David Letterman was there?
    The Bear

I don't think so- he graduated in '69. I was a freshman in the fall of that year. He's a really old guy, y'see.

He was a local legend real fast though, when he showed up the next year as a TV weatherman, and also the wacky host of a late night movie show on Saturdays called...the Late Show!
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1563
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/26 17:42:27 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

My sentiments exactly!

If it's good, eat it. If you don't want to try it because you're a "purist" (whatever the hell that is), don't. And if you judge it before you try it, then you're opinion doesn't mean squat.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 08:08:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

quote:

quote:

My sentiments exactly!

If it's good, eat it. If you don't want to try it because you're a "purist" (whatever the hell that is), don't. And if you judge it before you try it, then you're opinion doesn't mean squat.

My sentiments exactly!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 09:52:36 (permalink)
    Eating BBQ pizza for me would depend on the "sauce" (not too sweet) and the "toppings" (NO poultry). Other than that, I would give it a try.

Pulled BBQ Pork Pizza:

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 11:13:43 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

My sentiments exactly!

Being a purist has nothing to do with this. If I want barbeque, and I love good barbeque, then I'll get it from a place that knows something about barbeque. If I want pineapple I'll buy one. I love freshly-sliced pineapple and I love grilled pineapple. But if I want a tomato pie I get a tomato pie.
    porkbeaks
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 16:28:45 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My sentiments exactly!

Being a purist has nothing to do with this. If I want barbeque, and I love good barbeque, then I'll get it from a place that knows something about barbeque. If I want pineapple I'll buy one. I love freshly-sliced pineapple and I love grilled pineapple. But if I want a tomato pie I get a tomato pie.

And I suppose there are those folks that say this about sausage & mushroom pizza, "If I want sausage, and I love good sausage, then I'll get it from a place that knows something about sausage. If I want mushrooms, I'll buy some. I love freshly-sliced mushrooms and I love sauteed mushrooms. But if I want a tomato pie I get a tomato pie."
    You can't knock it if you've never tried it. pb
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 18:09:40 (permalink)
    Now you're being silly.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7898
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 18:29:05 (permalink)
    All I know, from all my traveling around is that by far when it comes to thin crust pizza, the NYC area (and yes that includes New Haven too, Hoffman!) has the most superior product TEN FOLD. And I'm saying this from experience.
    However I would be willing to give BBQ Pizza a try (in Memphis ONLY!) and that pineapple and Canadian Bacon on Pizza is absolutely disgusting. It was popular on the West Coast, but then again West Coast Pizza sucked anyway, so it didn't make a difference.
    porkbeaks
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 20:15:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Now you're being silly.

Why do you say that? Where is it written that sausage/mushroom pizza is more appropriate than ham/pineapple? pb
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 20:30:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

Now you're being silly.

Why do you say that? Where is it written that sausage/mushroom pizza is more appropriate than ham/pineapple? pb

It is written in the annals of apizza.
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 21:00:54 (permalink)
    Colletta's in Memphis originated the barbecue pizza right after WWII.The original location is on South Parkway in Memphis. They still barbecue their own shoulders for the pizza's. The S. Parkway location is an interesting place to visit. It has not changed since the 40's and the Colletta family still operates the establishment. You can see three generations working together. The original is not far from Graceland and Elvis was a regular. There are pictures and other memorabilia documenting their origination of the barbecue pizza and visits from Elvis ( when he was alive!). The pizza is good but I personnally prefer their other more traditional ones. The restaurant is definitely worth visiting on a trip to Memphis. It is like a walk back in time. They have another location in the suburbs but it does not have the atmosphere of the original. BVoth locations also have good traditional Italian food.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ Pizza 2005/12/27 21:30:34 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

Now you're being silly.

It is written in the annals of apizza.

Now who is being silly? Good thing you edited the spelling of annals!

Why dump on something other people enjoy, especially since you, who have not tried any form of it, by definition do not know what you are talking about?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1