BBQ Sauce favs/recipes

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Joined: 2000/11/29 11:55:00
  • Location: Lexington, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/01/26 11:03:07 (permalink)
Hey John, I thought you might want to be present. And I wish you were.

I'll certainly try to meet the Chris Lilly. I think I spoke with Chris's father-in-law, Don McLemore, a few years ago when I phoned to see if the red sauce was sold commercially. I'll sample all the sauces and try some smoked turkey too. Big Bob Gibson's is a place I've wanted to visit for a long, long time. I learned about them by asking Alabama folk where a soul could find great bbq in the northern part of the state.

Incidentally, there's a full page picture of Big Bob Gibson's fare and sauce in "Southern Living Bar-B-Que: Our Ultimate Guide" (2003). John T. Edge wrote the article, which says almost nothing about the restaurants, but includes some very good pictures." The bare bones articles in this special bbq edition are not critical, explanatory, or particularly helpful. They're just a light bit of writing designed to frame the pictures, and showcase barbeque in the region.
#31
frognot
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Joined: 2004/02/16 16:39:00
  • Location: Allen, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/02/16 23:25:19 (permalink)
i really like Goode Company's from Houston, especially on chicken. Also hard to beat McClard's from Hot Springs on grilled pork chops. favorite for beef is Stubb's from Austin.
#32
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Joined: 2004/02/01 22:32:00
  • Location: Amherst, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/02/18 18:41:35 (permalink)
I love the BBQ sauce at Maurice Bessinger's in Columbia, SC. Like it so much that I have it shipped to my house!

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/

#33
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Joined: 2000/11/29 11:55:00
  • Location: Lexington, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/04 05:34:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

I love the BBQ sauce at Maurice Bessinger's in Columbia, SC. Like it so much that I have it shipped to my house!

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/



The popularity of the mustard stype barbeque sauces in South Carolina has been widely written about; they are reportedly the favored sauce for a hundred miles around Columbia.

A few years ago, I finally broke down and ate at a South Carolina pit that is well known for its mustard sauce (among other things). The place I visited was a Bessinger's satellite (or franchise) on the outskirts of Columbia. I'm afraid I not only disliked the thick yellow sauce, I hated it, and think it's the worst thing I ever put on meat. But all around me, folks were ladling it on and loving it. So, I guess it's an acquired taste.

I've recently come to appreciate some of mustard based sauces I've tried since. These are more orange in color, and not at all similar to the Bessinger's style.

My favorite Kentucky sauce for pork is a family recipe out of west Kentucky. It is a spicy red sauce with a very strong mustard note. It was available for sale at The Barbecue Barn on U.S. 127 between Frankfort and Lawrenceburg, Ky. before they sold two years ago this winter. I don't know if it is still served there. I doubt the new owners are allowed to bottle it to go as the restaurant's founder was trying to market it regionally, through Kroger and the like.

Maybe I should try the Bessinger's sauce again; I might like it a little better on a second pass.

Anselmo1, I would enjoy knowing how you became familiar with Maurice Bessinger's mustard sauce. Are you from South Carolina, or did you live there at one point?
#34
Alexander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Joined: 2004/02/27 09:20:00
  • Location: Columbia, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/04 07:09:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

I love the BBQ sauce at Maurice Bessinger's in Columbia, SC. Like it so much that I have it shipped to my house!

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/



The popularity of the Bessinger's type mustard sauce has been widely written about; it clearly reigns supreme for a hundred miles around Columbia. I finally broke down and ate at Bessinger's several years ago, so I could try this beloved sauce. I'm afraid I not only disliked it, I hated it and think it's the worst thing I ever put on meat. But all around me, folks were ladling it on and loving it. So, I guess it's an acquired taste.

I've recently come to appreciate some of mustard based sauces I've tried since. These are more orange in color, and not at all similar to the Bessinger's style.

My favorite Kentucky sauce for pork is a family recipe out of west Kentucky. It is a spicy red sauce with a very strong mustard note. It was available for sale at The Barbecue Barn on U.S. 27 between Frankfort and Lawrenceburg, Ky. before they sold two years ago this winter. I don't know if it is still served there. I doubt the new owners are allowed to bottle it to go as the restaurant's founder was trying to market it regionally, through Kroger and the like.

I should try the Bessinger's sauce again; I might like it a little better on a second pass.

Anselmo1, I would enjoy knowing how you became familiar with Maurice Bessinger's mustard sauce. Are you from South Carolina, or did you live there at one point?


I would take issue that Maurice Bessingers "... clearly reigns supreme for a hundred miles around." In fact, of the people I know who truly like bbq (live in Columbia), none will go there because they (and I) consider it overly-sweet slop and wouldn't be caught dead putting on the sacred meat. Maurice has gone big and planted smaller places all over Columbia and seems to be doing a big business with tourists and people who have moved in from other areas. He also cashes in on breaking the 11th commandment - Thou shalt not serve bbq except on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, thus picking up the Monday - Wednesday crowd. The rest of us hold our cravings and go to much better places that are numerously scattered about the area. Although I don't particularly care for their BBQ (preferring to founder on their chicken livers), go out to Shealy's in Batesburg/Leesville and find out how popular it is by standing in a line that coils around the parking lot and then extends a block up the street. Plenty of time to share likes and dislikes (For some reason their catered bbq, IMHO, is much better than the in-house version). They also market their sauces - mustard-based (and greatly superior to Maurice's) and a red sauce similar to the more vinegary and peppery one that is common in the Savannah River area around Barnwell.

I heartily concur in your opinion of Maurice's sloppy sweet goo and would advise you not to waste your time on a second visit - it's just as bad as your original experience. I hope that other's won't judge the midland SC mustard-based sauces by it.
#35
Stogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Joined: 2003/03/12 09:21:00
  • Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/05 19:59:03 (permalink)
Hey JiminKY..

My fave sauces are all mustard based. Head over to my recipe page and check them out. I have tried literally dozens of mustard sauces and the ones I like best I have listed there.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/bbqguru/bbqguru.html

Stogie
#36
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
  • Location: Athens, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/05 20:49:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Here's a fairly typical recipe for the style of sauce favored for barbecue in eastern North Carolina:

EAST CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE

Here is how many folks in the South/East prepare a barbecue sauce.

2 cups cider vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In a glass jar, combine all ingredients. Close the lid and shake vigorously. Let stand for several hours, preferably in the sun. Store in a cool dry place.

Recipe from Les Kincaid



JimInKy,
Thank you a zillion for leaving out the sugar! It doesn't need it with cider vinegar!
Gustily Salutorially, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
#37
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
  • Location: Athens, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/05 20:53:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander

quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

I love the BBQ sauce at Maurice Bessinger's in Columbia, SC. Like it so much that I have it shipped to my house!

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/



The popularity of the Bessinger's type mustard sauce has been widely written about; it clearly reigns supreme for a hundred miles around Columbia. I finally broke down and ate at Bessinger's several years ago, so I could try this beloved sauce. I'm afraid I not only disliked it, I hated it and think it's the worst thing I ever put on meat. But all around me, folks were ladling it on and loving it. So, I guess it's an acquired taste.

I've recently come to appreciate some of mustard based sauces I've tried since. These are more orange in color, and not at all similar to the Bessinger's style.

My favorite Kentucky sauce for pork is a family recipe out of west Kentucky. It is a spicy red sauce with a very strong mustard note. It was available for sale at The Barbecue Barn on U.S. 27 between Frankfort and Lawrenceburg, Ky. before they sold two years ago this winter. I don't know if it is still served there. I doubt the new owners are allowed to bottle it to go as the restaurant's founder was trying to market it regionally, through Kroger and the like.

I should try the Bessinger's sauce again; I might like it a little better on a second pass.

Anselmo1, I would enjoy knowing how you became familiar with Maurice Bessinger's mustard sauce. Are you from South Carolina, or did you live there at one point?


I would take issue that Maurice Bessingers "... clearly reigns supreme for a hundred miles around." In fact, of the people I know who truly like bbq (live in Columbia), none will go there because they (and I) consider it overly-sweet slop and wouldn't be caught dead putting on the sacred meat. Maurice has gone big and planted smaller places all over Columbia and seems to be doing a big business with tourists and people who have moved in from other areas. He also cashes in on breaking the 11th commandment - Thou shalt not serve bbq except on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, thus picking up the Monday - Wednesday crowd. The rest of us hold our cravings and go to much better places that are numerously scattered about the area. Although I don't particularly care for their BBQ (preferring to founder on their chicken livers), go out to Shealy's in Batesburg/Leesville and find out how popular it is by standing in a line that coils around the parking lot and then extends a block up the street. Plenty of time to share likes and dislikes (For some reason their catered bbq, IMHO, is much better than the in-house version). They also market their sauces - mustard-based (and greatly superior to Maurice's) and a red sauce similar to the more vinegary and peppery one that is common in the Savannah River area around Barnwell.

I heartily concur in your opinion of Maurice's sloppy sweet goo and would advise you not to waste your time on a second visit - it's just as bad as your original experience. I hope that other's won't judge the midland SC mustard-based sauces by it.


Alexander,
Truth is, I liked Jackie Hite's even better than I did Shealy's. It's on Railroad Street a block off U. S. 1... watch for the sign.
Bating You For Leesville, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is 142 Miles Northwest Of There.
#38
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Joined: 2000/11/29 11:55:00
  • Location: Lexington, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/06 01:20:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
I would take issue that Maurice Bessingers "... clearly reigns supreme for a hundred miles around." In fact, of the people I know who truly like bbq (live in Columbia), none will go there because they (and I) consider it overly-sweet slop and wouldn't be caught dead putting on the sacred meat.

Hey Alexander, I wanted to say that mustard based barbeque sauces are favored in the region around Columbia, NOT the particular sauce from Maurice Bessinger's. I'm glad you caught and spoke to my glaring error. Thanks. I'll edit my post now to correct that remark.
#39
BFranklin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Joined: 2004/03/06 12:17:00
  • Location: Lincoln, AL
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/06 12:32:49 (permalink)
[http://www.recipegoldmine.com/bbqguru/bbqguru.html

thank you for this eddress - it will come in handy this summer!
#40
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Joined: 2004/02/19 01:32:00
  • Location: Lake Charles, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/18 16:50:55 (permalink)
If you are a BBQ fan, you must give this a try!

Best Baked Brisket
pounds lean beef brisket
2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1 tablespoon onion salt
1 tablespoon garlic salt

1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
salt and pepper to taste

1 Pour liquid smoke over brisket. Rub with onion salt and garlic salt. Roll brisket in foil and refrigerate overnight.
2 Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place brisket in a large roasting pan. Cover and bake for 5 to 6 hours. Remove from oven, cool, and then slice. Put slices back into pan.
3 In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, ketchup, butter, water, celery salt, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir, and cook until boiling.
4 Pour sauce over meat slices in pan. Cover and bake for 1 more hour.


Everyone I know who has tried this swears this one is the greatest! Great for rainy days. I usually use double the liquid smoke heh, I love the stuff!
#41
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Joined: 2004/02/19 01:32:00
  • Location: Lake Charles, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/18 16:56:50 (permalink)
OOPS MY BAD!

for the recipe I posted above "Best Baked Brisket"...

4* lbs lean beef brisket

#42
Shara
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Joined: 2003/08/25 18:58:00
  • Location: Asheville, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/03/18 18:43:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SkiPatroller

Has anyone tried the sauce out of NC called "Bone Sucking Sauce?"

I was down on the Outer Banks years ago when I came across this and bought it due to the unique name. It definitely lives up to that name!

Now, I can find it here in Eastern PA at several shops.

It comes in several varieties (regular, hot, thick) and they even have other sauces as well including one called Hickup'n Hot Sauce that is not bad if you like it hot!


Are these typical eastern Q sauces, Ski (i.e., vinegary)? If so, I'd love to know where you buy it, if you found it in any suburban Philly locations. Thanks.
#43
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
  • Joined: 2003/11/16 14:10:00
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/06/21 14:40:48 (permalink)
As I was experimenting with sauce last night I looked up this thread today. I’ve been
screwing around with bbq sauce the last few years. Here is what I made last night. It’s
not exact as I tend to just through stuff in the pot.

Sauté 2 onions in olive oil
add:
Tablespoon of crushed garlic
1 small can pineapple rings with juice
2 cups approx. ketchup
About half of a can of the smaller tomato paste
Around a tablespoon of tomato paste concentrate
a big hand full of both white and brown sugar
Tablespoon each of stone ground mustard and horseradish
teaspoon of habanero powder
teaspoon or less of liquid smoke
6 Tablespoons Worcestershire
1 Tablespoon crushed black pepper
1/2 cup vinegar

I just let it simmer for around 4 hours and add a bit of water now and again as needed. I run it though a strainer when done. turned out pretty darn good.
#44
SkiPatroller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Joined: 2003/07/24 13:23:00
  • Location: Allentown, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/07 15:40:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Shara

quote:
Originally posted by SkiPatroller

Has anyone tried the sauce out of NC called "Bone Sucking Sauce?"

I was down on the Outer Banks years ago when I came across this and bought it due to the unique name. It definitely lives up to that name!

Now, I can find it here in Eastern PA at several shops.

It comes in several varieties (regular, hot, thick) and they even have other sauces as well including one called Hickup'n Hot Sauce that is not bad if you like it hot!


Are these typical eastern Q sauces, Ski (i.e., vinegary)? If so, I'd love to know where you buy it, if you found it in any suburban Philly locations. Thanks.


In the Allentown area... the Allentown Farmers Market has a standholder who has it for sale (they sell all kinds of sauces, coffee and other such items.

In the Pocono's... I saw the sauce (and of course, bought it too) at the outlet mall located near Camelback Ski area. They even have it in the gallon size container (I tried but my wife said no).

I don't get down to Philly that often but I will keep an eye out if I do.

Just an FYI... it is a red sweet sauce rather than a vinegar based sauce.
#45
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Joined: 2004/07/03 13:19:00
  • Location: San Francisco, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/07 23:20:23 (permalink)
I don't care what else goes in the sauce (and my personal preference is for the NC-style vinegar-based sauces such as several described here), what I really hate is artificial smoke flavor. And that means it's getting very difficult these days to find a bottled sauce in the supermarket. They nearly all have artificial smoke. I grew up on the original Open Pit in my eastern youth but I haven't been able to find that in years here in CA. So recently I have been using Firehouse brand (comes as #1, #2 and #3--varying levels of heat) which Safeways in CA carry. Of course I usually "doctor" it up some--for ribs I like a little sweetness so I often add some cane sugar syrup.
#46
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Joined: 2002/05/02 11:27:00
  • Location: Roanoke, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/08 01:09:13 (permalink)
When I grill chicken I make a white sauce, consisting of cider vinager, sugar or Splenda, mayo, prepared horseradish, granulated garlic, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, black pepper and chopped parsley. I never measure, just keep adding this and that until it tastes right. I also use this on burgers instead of straight mayo.
#47
cindymuldoon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2004/07/11 12:07:00
  • Location: Riverwoods, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/11 12:37:35 (permalink)
I'm in the Chicago area. Anyone know of GREAT barbeque here? I'm just back from Austin and was able to experience Salt Lick. Absolutely loved the experience and have already run through their bottled sauces we bought. I would rather make Q sauce than buy. Does anyone have a recipe that tastes similar to Salt Lick? Thanks for your help.
#48
MissJ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Joined: 2004/07/14 17:38:00
  • Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/14 18:00:08 (permalink)
They all sound good, I can't find a good BBQ in Orange County, Ca. Does anyone know of any
#49
Rick51NH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Joined: 2004/07/11 10:18:00
  • Location: Merrimack, NH
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/15 13:21:06 (permalink)
Look for Woody's Sweet & Sour Sauce (Yellow writing/top). It's an excellent BBQ sauce with a hint of heat. AMade with pineapple juice. Just add some cayenne and simmer it for awhile if you like more heat. UPC code 47900 00209.

Rick
#50
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
  • Joined: 2003/04/10 22:21:00
  • Location: Dallas, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/15 14:15:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Maynerd, I know you make it down to Austin some. Have you ever tried the Salt Lick? It's the most unique and tasty sauce I've ever had.


Well Bushie, it's taken me almost a year to the day to respond, but I think I went to the Salt Lick a few decades back and haven't been back . No particular reason, just haven't made it out that way. I think the last time I went out there was with an old GF that was in town and she had a very unruly daughter with her. So I just wanted to eat up and go. So no, I don't really remember their sauce. I'll have to make a point to head out that way.
#51
Grillmeister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
  • Joined: 2004/07/02 01:21:00
  • Location: Sherman, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/15 16:54:27 (permalink)
Any good Memphis/Mid-South style sauce recipes out there?

In an effort to be a well rounded cook, I'm working my BBQ skills eastward from my native Texas beef brisket towards the Carolinas. I'm learning some Mid-Southern techniques (pig country) at the moment. Thanks to the Carolina boys for the recipes...I will be using them during the next step!

BTW: The Texan contingent has it right...dry rub brisket, no sauce, BUT use Stubb's for the table when you get home.
#52
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
  • Joined: 2001/08/27 15:44:00
  • Location: Evanston, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/15 17:27:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cindymuldoon

I'm in the Chicago area. Anyone know of GREAT barbeque here? I'm just back from Austin and was able to experience Salt Lick. Absolutely loved the experience and have already run through their bottled sauces we bought. I would rather make Q sauce than buy. Does anyone have a recipe that tastes similar to Salt Lick? Thanks for your help.


My favorite BBQ in the area is Hillery's in North Chicago. It is carry out only. I think the ribs and tips are on a par with Sonny Bryant's in Dallas. Great smoky flavor, perfect texture and a not too sweet, peppery sauce.
#53
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
  • Joined: 2001/08/27 15:44:00
  • Location: Evanston, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/15 17:28:59 (permalink)
Oops, I meant Sonny Bryan's.
#54
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
  • Joined: 2001/08/27 15:44:00
  • Location: Evanston, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: BBQ Sauce favs/recipes 2004/07/15 17:30:35 (permalink)
One of my favorite BBQs is Arthur Bryant's. Does anyone have the sauce recipe or a reasonable facsimile? I know its available on line but I would prefer to make it myself.

Thanks.
#55
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1