BBQ Shack, Paola, KS

Author
swkreiter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2008/08/26 14:07:06 (permalink)

BBQ Shack, Paola, KS

I was back in Kansas City last week to re-live my misspent youth and my brother suggested we haul it out to Paola for some BBQ at the BBQ Shack - as featured on DD&D. We were not disappointed. I had the beef & sausage combo with cole slaw and warm potato salad; big brother had the BBQ pork sandwich with fries. I can't remember what they were called, but we each had one of these, too - a whole roasted jalapeno stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. Three sauces - Wimp, Regular, and HOT were available on the table. I have to say, everything was excellent. Meats were done to a turn - smokey, juicy, melt in your mouth good. And each of the sauces had something to recommend it. The warm potato salad deserves a special mention, too. Even the basics - fires and slaw were top-notch.

The owner/operator, Rick, is somewhat gruff, but basically a nice guy. He's also an Andy Griffith Show nut - the place is plastered with posters. The meats are smoked outside in a portable, rotisserie-style smoker that holds approx 500 lbs at a time. One of the guys was kind enough to pop the cover and give us a look.

I'm new to this forum, but I've eaten an awful lot of BBQ in my time. If you're ever anywhere near Paola, do yourself a favor and find the BBQ Shack. They're getting ready to move across town to a new place, which means (to me anyway) that they'll lose a bit of the "shack" ambiance. But I'm sure the food will stay as good as ever.

Steve K

10 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/08/26 14:10:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by swkreiter

I was back in Kansas City last week to re-live my misspent youth and my brother suggested we haul it out to Paola for some BBQ at the BBQ Shack - as featured on DD&D. We were not disappointed. I had the beef & sausage combo with cole slaw and warm potato salad; big brother had the BBQ pork sandwich with fries. I can't remember what they were called, but we each had one of these, too - a whole roasted jalapeno stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. Three sauces - Wimp, Regular, and HOT were available on the table. I have to say, everything was excellent. Meats were done to a turn - smokey, juicy, melt in your mouth good. And each of the sauces had something to recommend it. The warm potato salad deserves a special mention, too. Even the basics - fires and slaw were top-notch.

The owner/operator, Rick, is somewhat gruff, but basically a nice guy. He's also an Andy Griffith Show nut - the place is plastered with posters. The meats are smoked outside in a portable, rotisserie-style smoker that holds approx 500 lbs at a time. One of the guys was kind enough to pop the cover and give us a look.

I'm new to this forum, but I've eaten an awful lot of BBQ in my time. If you're ever anywhere near Paola, do yourself a favor and find the BBQ Shack. They're getting ready to move across town to a new place, which means (to me anyway) that they'll lose a bit of the "shack" ambiance. But I'm sure the food will stay as good as ever.

Steve K

ABT's "Atomic Buffalo Turds" is one name for your stuffed jalapeno's.
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/08/26 16:40:55 (permalink)
    Give his Burnt Ends sandwich a try. I live in Oklahoma but try to stop by when I'm in the area.
    swkreiter
    Junior Burger
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/08/28 17:19:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

ABT's "Atomic Buffalo Turds" is one name for your stuffed jalapeno's.

That's right! The server kept calling them ABTs but I didn't want to look stupid by asking her what she meant. Tasty little devils! Thanks for the "definition".
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/09/01 15:37:02 (permalink)
    Did they say how close they are to moving to their new location? It was supposed to happen 3 months ago.

Keith
    swkreiter
    Junior Burger
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/09/01 21:27:07 (permalink)
    Sfreader -

As you say, they've been "close" to moving for a while now - something keeps coming up. There was a sign over the register 2 weeks ago now when I was there that said mid-September. On the way out of town we drove by the new place. The sign is up and everything, so don't know what the problem is. My only comment is that the new place is just a storefront in a small strip-mall kinda deal. They're going to lose about 99% of their character when they go. But it's a lot closer to the highway, so they're sure to keep doing a bang-up business.

Steve K
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/09/02 01:23:53 (permalink)
    Help an old guy out here, is KC in Kansas or Missouri or both?
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/09/02 08:31:04 (permalink)
    I'm not looking forward to the new structure, but I can understand their need for more space for food prep and storage.

The locals many not appreciate the character as much. While it isn't going to appeal as much to us Road Food folks, the move will probably help their local business.

MikeS, the Kansas City metro area is spread over several counties in Kansas and Missouri. There are "Kansas Cities" on both sides of the State Line, but other larger communities include Overland Park & Olathe Kansas, and Independence Missouri. Most of the time when we say Kansas City, we mean the metro area, not either of the towns with that name. KC,MO is the largest single community in the metro area.

Paola is south of the metro area on the Kansas side.

Keith
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/10/02 16:33:18 (permalink)
    Was by there today. The old restaurant is closed and the sign says that the new one will open tomorrow.

There were a lot of people working on the new facility today, but I am not sure they will make their deadline tomorrow.

Keith
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/10/03 00:35:34 (permalink)
    SFreader, thanks for that information.
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ Shack, Paola, KS 2008/11/01 12:35:27 (permalink)
    Visited the new location yesterday. Although they messed up my order (brought brisket instead of sausage) it was still good. The menu is slightly changed and most items are about 50 cents higher.

I updated http://www.kansastravel.org/bbqshack.htm with new photos and the new menu.

Keith
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1