The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style?

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Sun, 03/2/03 11:40 AM (permalink)
Talking with a Southern buddy of mine the other day; the conversation oftens turns to BBQ. Tomato-based sauces be darned -- we decided that the alternative is much better. My bud is a HUGE fan of Eastern North Carolina style pulled-pork BBQ - the vinegar and pepper-based sauce. I'm more partial to what he calls "South Carolina" style BBQ sauce - which is a yellow-mustard and vinegar style. Can anyone recommend a good (and I mean GOOD) commercial brand South Carolina style sauce that I can find in a bottle, in a store somewhere here in Florida? BBQ season, as far as I'm concerned, is already upon us. I have some pig (apologies to E.B. White) that is screaming for some of this yummy sauce...and my briquettes are getting warmer....

Michael Stern

RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Sun, 03/2/03 12:23 PM (permalink)
    Stickfingers (see stickyfingers.net) is a (relatively) small chain of BBQs in the south; and their mustard Q-sauce isn't bad at all. The good thing is that they're all set up to mail it.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
      RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Fri, 03/7/03 8:38 AM (permalink)
      You can try Maurice's piggy park in Columbia SC.

Website is at :

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/

Love his sauce !

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
        RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Fri, 03/7/03 11:31 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by scbuzz

You can try Maurice's piggy park in Columbia SC.
        Michael and scbuzz will be pleased to learn that the said buddy brought me a bottle of Maurice's sauce to work the other day. (I didn't know it contained pineapple! How neat!) You can bet your sweet bippies I will be firing up the grill and laying on the pork chops this weekend. By the way, my Southern buddy likes dipping corn dogs in his Maurice's.

lysergic

• Total Posts: 1
          RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Sun, 03/9/03 4:21 PM (permalink)
          I have been to Maurice's in Columbia, SC while on business and the best way I can describe their restaurants is that of the KKK Cracker Barrel (In some of their restaurants they sell merchandise promoting their “southern heritage”). The literature they sell in their stores are anti-Semitic and almost (not quite, but almost) promote white supremacy. Personally I walked out of the place as soon as I noticed exactly what their "heritage shop" was so as not to give these jokers any of my money. Guy I was working with in town that week also said their BBQ was not really all that good anyway.

scbuzz

RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Mon, 03/10/03 9:33 AM (permalink)
            I must admit that the owner of Maurice's Piggy Park (Maurice Bessinger) may have some questionable beliefs, and I in no way support them, but I do like the BBQ and the sauce is fantastic ! And you can get it from the Internet.

Stogie

• Total Posts: 128
              RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Wed, 03/12/03 9:27 AM (permalink)
              Kristi...

I am a true lover of the mustard based sauces. I am providing 2 links, both of them full of great sauce and BBQ recipes.

http://bbqcentral.hypermart.net/amregions/overview.htm
              This is the best site for explaining the various regional types of BBQ sauce.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/bbqguru/bbqguru.html
              This is my personal web site that features all of my home grown recipes....both BBQ and non-BBQ related.

I always make my own sauces as none of the stores carry any of hte good ones.

Stogie

MadBBQer

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Sun, 03/23/03 12:13 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by lysergic

I have been to Maurice's in Columbia, SC while on business and the best way I can describe their restaurants is that of the KKK Cracker Barrel (In some of their restaurants they sell merchandise promoting their “southern heritage”). The literature they sell in their stores are anti-Semitic and almost (not quite, but almost) promote white supremacy. Personally I walked out of the place as soon as I noticed exactly what their "heritage shop" was so as not to give these jokers any of my money. Guy I was working with in town that week also said their BBQ was not really all that good anyway.

Go for the Q, not the politics!

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                  RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Sun, 12/28/03 2:40 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by lysergic

I admire you for walking out. I did not know about the guy's politics when I tried the que with mustard sauce at one of the Maurice franchises just outside Columbia some years ago. I hated the stuff; it just tasted awful to me.

I've since learned all about him and will never exchange coin for his company's provender again. I don't believe we can separate the que from politics in this case. Spending money at Piggy Park, the franchises or at the Web site only encourages him.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1084
                    RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Mon, 12/29/03 10:29 PM (permalink)
                    I wouldn't patronize it for more than one reason!!

This webpage attests to how tacky the place is & how bad the food is http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/bbqtour/maurice.html

fummunda

• Total Posts: 24
                      RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Mon, 01/5/04 2:52 AM (permalink)
                      Sorry, but to me patronizing a place or company run by an avowed hatemonger because the sauce is tasty is just giving him money to propagate his filth. I'd gag on the stuff if I knew it was helping to finance such a repulsive enterprise.

There have to be alternatives that are more palatable.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                        RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Tue, 01/6/04 5:13 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by shaynas_mom

I wouldn't patronize it for more than one reason!!

This webpage attests to how tacky the place is & how bad the food is http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/bbqtour/maurice.html

Maurice's Piggy Park is not included in more recent editions of Eat Your Way Across the U.S.A. (1999) and Roadfood (2002).

scbuzz

RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Tue, 01/6/04 8:28 AM (permalink)
                          Well, since I was the one that originally posted the link to the Piggy Park establishment (nearly a year ago !), I feel a bit compelled to comment since it has generated quite a bit of posts !

I do not nor have I ever endorsed Maurice Bessingers beliefs. Since that time, I have found there to be many other excellent quality sauces available. There are also many other fine B-B-Q places that serve better que without the politics and beliefs of Mr. Bessinger.

Sorry to have stirred up the board !

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                            RE: BBQ Wars! Eastern NC style or SC style? Tue, 01/6/04 10:15 AM (permalink)
                            Just checked out Maurice's website. Wouldnt eat his bbq if it was the last on earth.Someone said we should go for the cue,not the politics----dont think Maurice wants us to!!!!There more politics then food at his website and to be honest, i dont think he would want me there,or my friends either,so i will just find some other place to eat---bet theres plenty in SC to pick from where i DONT have to read about what a scumball Abe Lincoln was while im eating!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com