BBQ explosion on Long Island

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
2006/08/26 17:18:48 (permalink)

BBQ explosion on Long Island

Anyone notice the BBQ explosion on Long Island?

Hog House in Huntington
Smokin' Al's in Bayshore
Tennessee Jack's in E. Islip
Red Smoke Southern Style BBQ in Brookhaven
Bobbique in Patchogue
Farmer Bar - Cutchogue Barbecue Co.
Smokehouse Grill in Sayville
Big Daddy's in Massapequa added a "pit BBQ" (whatever they mean by that)

I've only been to the first three. Anyone here been to the others? Any I missed listing?

40 Replies Related Threads

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/26 23:32:25 (permalink)
    Bet most of them won't be there in 3 years.

MikeS.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 01:23:41 (permalink)
    What is that commercial for pace salsa

"NEW YORK CITY???"

I guess them there Yankees think they are so smart for stealing our que, but like MikeSh said, let's see how many are there in 2-3 years.

I love New York food, but for que.......
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 01:45:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scott_R

Hog House in Huntington
    Smokin' Al's in Bayshore
    Bobbique in Patchogue

I've only been to the first three. Anyone here been to the others? Any I missed listing?

Bobbbique ???????
    Who in the NY world of Madison ave. dreamed THAT one up?
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 06:44:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cajunking

"NEW YORK CITY???"

I guess them there Yankees think they are so smart for stealing our que, but like MikeSh said, let's see how many are there in 2-3 years.

What are you talking about? {Yankees stealing our Que}. Hell! We invented it! Remember that little gathering at Plymouth? They Qed that bird along with some venison and whatever else they could get their hands on, so cajunboy put that thought in your smoker. Chow Jim
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 11:01:40 (permalink)
    quote:

Hog House in Huntington
    Smokin' Al's in Bayshore
    Bobbique in Patchogue

You've posted this twice, so I'll answer it twice.

There are 2 chain BBQ places, Smokey Bones (Ronkonkoma) & Famous Daves (Smithtown & Roosevelt Field). There's also a place called Jackson's in Commack at 6005 Jericho that's popular (haven't been there myself) and there's Eldorado in Centereach & Port Jeff. Also there's Spicy's in Bellport and Riverhead and Turtle Crossing in E Hampton. So far I've liked Smokin Al's the best.
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 11:04:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow
    Bobbbique ???????
    Who in the NY world of Madison ave. dreamed THAT one up?

Named after his daughter (and combined with barbeque, I suppose)
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 11:05:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

MikeS.

You may be right, but Smokin Al's has been there for 3 years already and is Zagat rated.

http://www.smokinals.com/
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 11:33:27 (permalink)
    yeah they may have qued that first bird, but if it wasn't for the indians we may have never had que.

so let's call that one a draw.

Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 11:57:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cajunking

"NEW YORK CITY???"

I find that Pace commercial to be irritating. Perhaps I shouldn't: maybe they're just jealous that New Yorkers are doing it better.

Actually, some of the worst BBQ I've ever had was when I was coming back from a cross-country drive and I stopped off at a place in Tennessee.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/08/27 13:18:25 (permalink)
    Yes, i was just ribbing my northern friends

Good que and bad que can happen any place.

My worst experience was in TX, brisket so dry and burnt no amount of sauce could save it.

Watchdog12
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/04 20:48:22 (permalink)
    I've tryed several places mentioned on the list.
    Bobbique's has good BBQ and a Great selection of beers on tap, etc..
    It's become quite the hangout for people from miles around..

With that said, the Best BBQ place IMO is/was Poppa Rick's Texas BBQ
    which is, unfortunately, temporarily out of business because his
    snooty Woodbury neighbors complained about his (genuine) rustic-Texan set-up.
    You can still order stuff from him - 631-433-9063
    He's hoping to re-open sometime soon.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/2003/10/papa_ricks_texa.html
    http://www.popparicksbbq.com/
    quote:

Hog House in Huntington
    Smokin' Al's in Bayshore
    Bobbique in Patchogue

Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/19 21:01:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Watchdog12
    With that said, the Best BBQ place IMO is/was Poppa Rick's Texas BBQ
    which is, unfortunately, temporarily out of business because his
    snooty Woodbury neighbors complained about his (genuine) rustic-Texan set-up.
    You can still order stuff from him - 631-433-9063
    He's hoping to re-open sometime soon.

Not quite true.

I don't doubt people in the area complained about him but he had other problems. For one, my investigation shows that he was permitted as a mobile unit--which basically means a hot dog truck. You have to be MOBILE to have that permit. Instead, he was extensively set up with services connections--and I don't think legally. He'd either have had to be a true mobile unit or get make his setup legal--that means grease traps, sewer lines, etc. Significant $$$$.

I don't know the stories (you need an insider for that), but I don't think it's simply matter of the honest business getting steamrollered by the rich residents.

You can check this all out with a Freedom of Information Law request with the Health Dep't.

BTW, he was in Nassau County, not Suffolk--as determined by GPS.
    kyleJohnson
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/22 00:40:30 (permalink)
    You might want to check out restaurant's health inspection before you go. Lesson learned the hard way:

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/health/CFRestaurant/violation.cfm?ID=92444

quote:
    Originally posted by kozel

quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

MikeS.

You may be right, but Smokin Al's has been there for 3 years already and is Zagat rated.

http://www.smokinals.com/
    bigbear
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/23 12:00:43 (permalink)
    This morning, I was filling up with gas at the Valero gas station on Rte. 110, just north of Sunrise H'way, in Amityville. I looked up and there are some Grand Opening banners on the front of a place called SECOND'S BBQ. It's easy to miss because they're just off Rte 110 at #2 Washington Ave. The owner, Carolle, said that they have been open about five weeks. He said that he serves a Tennessee-style cue. The meat is marinated wet, smoked dry and finished on the grill. They're take-out only.

I was there as they were setting up for the day, so I can't report on the food yet. Anybody been there?
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/23 16:53:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigbear

This morning, I was filling up with gas at the Valero gas station on Rte. 110, just north of Sunrise H'way, in Amityville. I looked up and there are some Grand Opening banners on the front of a place called SECOND'S BBQ. It's easy to miss because they're just off Rte 110 at #2 Washington Ave. The owner, Carolle, said that they have been open about five weeks. He said that he serves a Tennessee-style cue. The meat is marinated wet, smoked dry and finished on the grill. They're take-out only.

I was there as they were setting up for the day, so I can't report on the food yet. Anybody been there?

I keep passing by and meaning to go.

I'll try to stop there on Monday.
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/29 21:14:58 (permalink)
    quote:

Went there today (Friday)--developed a cold over the weekend, so didn't want to try it when I couldn't taste it.

Bought the beef ribs and sides of collard greens and rice & beans (and it came with cornbread).

LOVED it. Very, very tasty--and that extends to the sides which, though it may sound like hyperbole, were the best I've had at a BBQ place. The ribs weren't sauced up, exactly--they were very juicy, enough that you need napkins.

Just look at this and tell me it doesn't make your mouth water:

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/29 22:40:37 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Went there today (Friday)--developed a cold over the weekend, so didn't want to try it when I couldn't taste it.

Bought the beef ribs and sides of collard greens and rice & beans (and it came with cornbread).

LOVED it. Very, very tasty--and that extends to the sides which, though it may sound like hyperbole, were the best I've had at a BBQ place. The ribs weren't sauced up, exactly--they were very juicy, enough that you need napkins.

Just look at this and tell me it doesn't make your mouth water:

no, because I don't see that much meat on those ribs..
    perhaps you could have positioned the ribs better to show off the meat, cause they look real thin meat-wise from the pic.

glad you enjoyed it , though
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/29 22:51:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641
    no, because I don't see that much meat on those ribs..
    perhaps you could have positioned the ribs better to show off the meat, cause they look real thin meat-wise from the pic.

Don't know what you're looking at; there was plenty of meat. Enough that I was quite full afterwards.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/09/30 00:46:50 (permalink)
    Now this is what makes my mouth water;

Did the brisket on Wednesday, 12 hours in the smoker, and the greens with bacon Friday afternoon. The plate was dinner Friday night.

MikeS.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/01 11:15:24 (permalink)
    We tried the Farmer Bar in Cutchogue yesterday. The better half had the Memphis sampler (Chicken, ribs, brisket and pulled pork) and I had the ribs dry. The beer was good but the food was very disappointing.
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/04 23:05:47 (permalink)
    Another, better pic of the Second's BBQ's beef ribs.

LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/05 07:58:30 (permalink)
    from Newsday:
    BBQ trend still smokin' (10/4)
    BY JOAN REMINICK
    Newsday Staff Writer

October 4, 2006

The barbecue trend continues to smoke. In North Bellmore, Laura's BBQ Roadhouse just opened at 1759 Bellmore Ave., 516-409-4510, under the ownership of Texas native Lloyd Adams and his wife, Long Islander Laura Adams.

The couple started out with a mobile catering business called Laura's BBQ Shack, which served as a vendor at the annual Grill Kings Long Island BBQ Cook-Off at Belmont Park Racetrack in Elmont this past July. "We received the People's Choice award," said Adams regarding that venture. While the new restaurant offers ribs, pulled pork and chicken, Adams' professed favorite is brisket. "Being from Texas, I do like the beef," he said. The eatery, which occupies the site that formerly housed the Smithville Cafe, has an outdoor smoker.

For the past month, Barbecue Bill's has been filling the streets of Greenport with the scent of hardwood-smoked meats. The bi-level restaurant, at 47 Front St., 631-477-2300, offers deck seating and overlooks Greenport's harbor. Pit master Doug Cress co-owns the place with manager Bill Winkle. They offer such classics as brisket, pulled pork and ribs, both baby backs and St. Louis-style.

Will Breakstone, who won the 2003 Grill Kings Long Island BBQ Cook-Off, just opened Willie B's, 222 Fifth Ave., Bay Shore, 631-206-2580. It has no tables and only does takeout and delivery. Breakstone, a former municipal bond broker and financial consultant, had been running a catering operation for the past couple of years. He said he envisions his new business as "the Domino's of the new millennium." Specialties include brisket, pulled pork, pulled chicken, barbecued chicken, baby back ribs and smoked sausage.

Care to smoke your own? Paul Kirk, the legendary pitmaster, cookbook author and co-owner of Manhattan's R.U.B. (Righteous Urban Barbeque), will be conducting a one-day seminar entitled The Baron's School of Pitmasters on Oct. 21 at the Water Taxi Beach in Long Island City. Kirk will preach on, among other topics, brisket, pork butt, pork ribs, chicken, sausage, fire management, fuels, rubs, and contest presentation. The class, limited to 40, costs $250. For information, go to whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com. For questions, and to reserve a place, contact Robert Fernandez; e-mail bbqwhite trash@optonline.net or 917-763-5062.

One reason to plan a drive out to the East End this time of year is that several dining spots are offering price breaks for the fall season. Alison, 95 School St., Bridgehampton, is featuring a plat du jour every Tuesday to Sunday from 5:30 p.m., with a different special running every day. On Sunday, for example, the dish is a lobster potpie for $27. Included is a green salad and a glass of wine. For information or reservations, call 631-537-7100.

Another deal may be found at Almondito, 290 Montauk Hwy., East Hampton, which is running a three-course $19.95 prix fixe Thursday to Monday from 6 to 7 p.m. and all night on Wednesday. For information or reservations, call 631-329-6700.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8334
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/05 08:54:39 (permalink)
    Those ribs look good and meaty to me!
    slabtown
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/06 10:04:45 (permalink)
    I have been asked to cook a couple of hogs for a pig picking for the football team at the US Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY in November. It is not practical for me to tow the cookers 800 miles from South Carolina.

Do any of you have any ideas where I can borrow or rent two cookers? Propane would be preferred because of the setup there.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Brooklynq
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/13 12:25:19 (permalink)
    Don't forget Willie B's oin Bayshore. Just opened recently and easily one of the best BBQ places on Long Island. Only drawback is that it's take out only.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/16 07:47:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by slabtown

I have been asked to cook a couple of hogs for a pig picking for the football team at the US Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY in November. It is not practical for me to tow the cookers 800 miles from South Carolina.

Do any of you have any ideas where I can borrow or rent two cookers? Propane would be preferred because of the setup there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

There is a butcher her in Commack/Huntington/Dix Hills on Jericho Tpke (south side) called Meuller's that provided me with a pig and cooker a few years ago. They may be able to help.
    Watchdog12
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/21 11:27:02 (permalink)
    Here's the current compilation tempting list of LI BBQ Joints:

If y'all know any more LI BBQ Joints -- add on

Hog House in Huntington
    Smokin' Al's in Bayshore
    Bobbique in Patchogue
    Big Daddy's in Massapequa
    Smokey Bones (Ronkonkoma)
    Famous Dave's (Smithtown & Roosevelt Field)
    Jackson's in Commack at 6005 Jericho Turnpike
    Eldorado in Centereach & Port Jeff
    Spicy's in Bellport and Riverhead
    Turtle Crossing in E Hampton
    Laura's BBQ Roadhouse 1759 Bellmore Ave N.Bellmore 516-409-4510 Texas native owner
    Barbecue Bill's 47 Front St. Greenport 631-477-2300 -- St. Louis-Style.
    Poppa Rick's - Texas Style - Tel Order Only -- 631-433-9063

Willie B's, 222 Fifth Ave., Bay Shore, 631-206-2580 - take out only -
    Will Breakstone, who won the 2003 Grill Kings Long Island BBQ Cook-Off

SECOND'S BBQ just N/O Rte 110 at #2 Washington Ave -- Amityville - Tennessee-style cue. meat marinated wet, smoked dr, finished on the grill. Take-out only -- Some say the Best!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2006/10/26 22:39:48 (permalink)
    Went to the smokehouse Grill saturday, and Bobbique tonight.

Smokehose was okay. The atmosphere is not what you'd expect, and seems wrong. I had pulled pork and it was a bit mushy and more saucy than I like. It was also served without any bread/corn bread, which I found unusual.

I was far more impressed with Bobbique. They had a choose your 2 or 3 meat combo, which smokehouse didn't (they had one standard combo). The sausage and chopped brisket were outstanding, and the pulled pork was drier, but not too dry...just how i like it. I would have to say among the places I have been to, which include many on the list, this is a top rank entry. I still need to try Willie B's, Spicy's, and Eldorado.

I hope these places, at least the good ones, will be here in 2 or 3 years. They may not be as good as some of te classic southern Q places, but it is good to have something decent close to home.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: BBQ explosion on Long Island 2007/05/09 08:56:08 (permalink)
    quote:

Hog House in Huntington
    Smokin' Al's in Bayshore
    Bobbique in Patchogue

Went past the Smokehouse Grill and they were closed...for good. They had decent food, but seemed confused about what a BBQ joint should look like. It was way to upscale inside.

quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

MikeS.

It hasn't been a year yet, but only 1 down so far. Several of the others have been there three years or more, and the newer ones seem to be quite busy. I guess the worry is that any time something gets big all at once, there is a good chance it will vanish just as fast.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1