BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments!

Author
shimane
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2003/07/03 14:28:00 (permalink)

BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments!

Does anyone have a good suggestion for BBQ in the DC area?

I've been to the following:

- Red, Hot, and Blue - Not bad, but not like home (Memphis)
- Memphis BBQ - Not good
- Bubba's BBQ (Falls Church) - Good, not wonderful

If you have any good suggestions, specifically for great pulled pork, let me know!

Regards.

24 Replies Related Threads

Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/03 15:09:13 (permalink)
    Head south on US Hwy 301 about 25-30 miles to LaPlata, MD and go to Johnny Boy's. Pork is pretty good, ribs are very, very good. It's a real wood-burner, producing REAL barbecue.
    wrfc5
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/03 18:13:19 (permalink)
    Visit the Mighty Midget kitchen in Leesburg, VA (45 minutes west of DC). They smoke everything on premises, and everything is delicious. Go on a nice day--no inside seating. The MM is a tiny, pre-fab kitchen small enought to fit in your kitchen at home. Its been around for probably 40 years. The BBQ is the best I've ever had.
    shimane
    Junior Burger
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/04 08:37:10 (permalink)
    I found another one on the web. Anyone been to this place before?

Ben's Whole Hog Barbecue Barbecue/American

Manassas
    7422 Old Centreville Rd.
    Manassas, VA
    703-331-5980
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/04 10:01:01 (permalink)
    Shim...
    Stan from PA posted this on a "Where should I eat Thread" a little while back...Sounds good to me.

Posted - 03/25/2003 : 21:40:52
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stern's recommend Ben's Whole Hog Barbecue in Manassas (7422 Old Centerville Rd.) and so do we!!! The buffet looked so good...and we're glad we gave it a shot. Great brisket, excellent mac and cheese (something I usually don't like) and---make room for the bread pudding...but I'm most embarassed to admit that on this DC to SC BBQ trip we liked Ben's pork the best! The vinegar sauce was terrific!!!

jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/06 20:41:10 (permalink)
    Note that Ben's has changed owners in the recent past. I haven't visited since the changeover so I can't comment on whether or not the quality of the food has been affected. Still, it's something to keep in mind if planning to make the long drive out to Manassas.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/06 20:45:26 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Or you could stop in at King's in Petersburg... right on U. S. 460 Business, if I remember my streets correctly.
    Semi-Oinkishly, Ort. Carlton in succulent Athens, Georgia.
    shimane
    Junior Burger
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/09 17:26:24 (permalink)
    I just went to a place called "BBQ Country" in Vienna, VA which is part of a local? chain with places in Herndon and elsewhere. I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars. I had some good chopped pork in a sandwhich and fries. Average were the beans and the sweet tea (from a fountain, not fresh brewed).

Enjoy
    Austin Bound
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/11 16:07:05 (permalink)
    Texacan Beef and Pork Co is open in Ashburn(located directly behind MCI headquarters off of Waxpool Road in Ashburn. I know forums hate self-serving users so I'll make it short. We offer Baby Back Ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket, Argentine Chorizo as sandwiches til 3 and 1 and 5 pound vacuum-sealed packages to take home and heat up. Open 11:30-6:30 Monday through Saturday.

Our main business is selling to restaurants, caterers and institutions - but we decided to open a small takeout area. We only slow-smoke with pecan and are a USDA federally inspected facility. Take a look at http://www.texacan.com

Thanks for reading and pardon the intrusion!
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/07/11 16:20:08 (permalink)
    I can recomend Chubbys in emitsburg md . Its on rt 15 north of thurmont , Very good food Typical Bus station BBQ decor Fair prices
    Check it out
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/09/05 11:24:09 (permalink)
    My favorite place for good barbeque in DC is Capital Q, near the corner of 7th and H streets NW. As a purveyor of Texas-style barbeque, it specializes in beef brisket, which is the best I've had anywhere. It is tender with a great smoky flavor, and, unlike the brisket that I've had at most other places, it is quite moist. Although the sauce (tomato-based) is quite good (you can get it spicy or mild), I always get it on the side so that it doesn't interfere with the taste of the brisket. Also very good are the pork ribs (the big ones, not the baby back ribs) and the smoked sausage and turkey. The one time that I had the barbequed chicken, it was flavorful, but a bit on the dry side, probably from sitting under a heat lamp for too long. The sides are also generally very good, with my favorites being the jalepeno cornbread, the collard greens and the black beans (unusual for a barbeque joint, but good). I would also recommend the Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Co. at 2418 Wisconsin Avenue in DC. The brisket isn't as good as Capital Q's, but the ribs and chicken are both fine.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/09/05 13:44:06 (permalink)
    Consider this another vote for Leesburg, Virginia's Mighty Midget Kitchen -- a toll-booth-sized (and look) restaurant literally built from the fuselage of a B-2 bomber. Brian (the owner and chef's) smoked and BBQ fare is worth the 45-minute drive west of DC (which can be done very quickly predominantly on two expressway toll roads -- one of which is Virginia's longest private toll road, a 14-mile, 65 MPH, $ 2 thoroughfare that might as well serve as the Mighty Midget's welcome mat). Enjoy the Midget (not yet reviewed by the Sterns, I believe) however dress to sit outside because that's all the seats they have.
    rholt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/09/05 16:48:07 (permalink)
    Across the Potomac on GW Parkway, head into Old Town, Alexandria, VA. and try King Street Blues. It's actually located just off of King St., and they have pretty good BBQ, live music and cold drinks.
    johnconniff
    Junior Burger
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2003/10/24 16:29:44 (permalink)
    The best barbeque in DC, hands down in Rocklands Barbeque. There are two locations, but I would recomend the location on Wisconsin Avenue in DC (2418). Amazing BBQ, great pulled and chopped pork sandwhiches, excellent fish...I've ate there for over nine years, never a bad meal. Also, I have visited most of the places listed in Road Food in the south for BBQ, Rocklands can hang with any of them.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/03/21 19:49:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rbpalmer

My favorite place for good barbeque in DC is Capital Q, near the corner of 7th and H streets NW. As a purveyor of Texas-style barbeque, it specializes in beef brisket, which is the best I've had anywhere. It is tender with a great smoky flavor, and, unlike the brisket that I've had at most other places, it is quite moist. Although the sauce (tomato-based) is quite good (you can get it spicy or mild), I always get it on the side so that it doesn't interfere with the taste of the brisket. Also very good are the pork ribs (the big ones, not the baby back ribs) and the smoked sausage and turkey. The one time that I had the barbequed chicken, it was flavorful, but a bit on the dry side, probably from sitting under a heat lamp for too long. The sides are also generally very good, with my favorites being the jalepeno cornbread, the collard greens and the black beans (unusual for a barbeque joint, but good). I would also recommend the Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Co. at 2418 Wisconsin Avenue in DC. The brisket isn't as good as Capital Q's, but the ribs and chicken are both fine.

Would second the Capital Q recommendation. Great atmosphere too. Kenny's Smokehouse located on Maryland Ave SE is pretty good, but order the sauce on the side, otherwise their mixed bag of bbq is drowned in the stuff. Good collard greens.
    foxyrhythm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/04/27 11:21:13 (permalink)
    If you can make it to Rockville, MD, there is a place called O'Briens on Gude Drive. I've been to a lot of BBQ places across the country and have never had better.

C
    Acuff-12
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/04/27 14:01:04 (permalink)
    Went to "Ben's whole hog Bar-b-q" and it was great, for around DC. Not like NC, but pretty close. I got there when it opened at 10:30 and got my port and hush puppies. They even had sweet tea. Still good. There is another place called "The Silver Pig" which is in Madison Heights, VA (rt 29, right north of Lynchburg) real NC Bar-B-Que.

Matt
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/05/04 12:29:27 (permalink)
    Heather and I also went to Ben's 2 weeks ago-great BBQ-even had it without sauce.
    Onion Rings, Mac and Cheese were great.
    The owner could not have been more hospitable, and we left with leftovers and extra sauce.
    Always mention Roadfood when you arrive, he gives extra special attention.
    he loves to hear that people are actually seeking and travelling for his BBQ.
    DaveM
    barrylann
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/05/04 14:31:55 (permalink)
    contact Arthur Jones

wajonesy3@yahoo.com

he and Newell Watkins make the best Mississippi & Memphis style slow smoked BBQ inside the beltway. ask him when he's having his next "bring-your-own-meat" party (probably memorial day) and let him cook you some of the best you've ever had.
    kdiammond
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/06/25 22:13:02 (permalink)
    Went to Texacans == Really good. Work around the corner at MCI and was taken there to pick up lunch. Had the ribs and the pulled pork sandwich (shared both with a co-worker) along with the slaw. It was great que even without the sauce. Sorry cannot report on the sauces as I am trying to be low-carb (hence no beans or the potato salad, sigh). Moist and really well flavored from the rub. Am going back.
    Mississippi Snopes
    Junior Burger
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/06/26 19:08:05 (permalink)

I use Rocklands in Arlington as a test for whether someone is a fan of barbecue as food or as a some kind of test of regional authenticity -- more concerned about whether the place looks "right" than whether the food tastes good. Rocklands definitely does not look "right" -- it's a yuppie pool hall just packed with 20-something wannabe politicians and baby lawyers. While the crowd isn't chic and the place isn't fancy, you're much more likely to run into metrosexuals than rednecks.

But the barbecue is fantastic. In fact, I'll put Rocklands' beef brisket up against the best of the best American barbecue -- Sims in Little Rock, McClard's in Hot Springs, Leonards in Memphis, Wilber's in Goldsboro, Boyds & Sons in KC, Leitha's in Hattiesburg MS, the Ridgewood in Bluff City TN, the Railhead in Ft. Worth -- Rocklands doesn't have to take a back seat to any of these (well, maybe to Sims, which is, after all, the pinnacle of American cuisine).

Give it a fair chance and I think you'll agree that Rocklands is good stuff. If atmosphere matters & you just can't get over the lack of verisimilitude, get take-out. Just don't let regional snobbery deprive you of this great BBQ.

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/11/07 22:26:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wrfc5

Visit the Mighty Midget kitchen in Leesburg, VA (45 minutes west of DC). They smoke everything on premises, and everything is delicious. Go on a nice day--no inside seating. The MM is a tiny, pre-fab kitchen small enought to fit in your kitchen at home. Its been around for probably 40 years. The BBQ is the best I've ever had.

We went to the Mighty Midget today. The bbq is just great and the atmosphere is super. There are lots of choices, probably some very good ones in Leesburg, but the Mighty Midget made it for us.
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/11/07 23:28:49 (permalink)
    I haven't been myself, but the wife used to live and work in DC and she mentioned a place called "Hogs on the Hill." Don't know if it's still there or not.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/11/08 06:45:18 (permalink)
    Hogs on the Hill has become Kenny's smokehouse, I think. (I've only lived in DC for two years.) The bbq there is ok, but those who remember Hogs on the Hill say that it was better than Kenny's.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: BBQ in DC ? Suggestions / Comments! 2004/11/08 08:16:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mississippi Snopes

But the barbecue is fantastic. In fact, I'll put Rocklands' beef brisket up against the best of the best American barbecue -- Sims in Little Rock, McClard's in Hot Springs, Leonards in Memphis, Wilber's in Goldsboro, Boyds & Sons in KC, Leitha's in Hattiesburg MS, the Ridgewood in Bluff City TN, the Railhead in Ft. Worth -- Rocklands doesn't have to take a back seat to any of these (well, maybe to Sims, which is, after all, the pinnacle of American cuisine).

I like Rocklands, but I think that the brisket at Capital Q, in DC's Chinatown, is better.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1