BBQ in Lexington, NC

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/04/29 14:00:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rapunzll

Does anyone know the hours for Lexington #1?

I was supposed to leave on my trip last night but had to have brake work done and am leaving later. I want to make sure I am going through when they are open!

I thought I had found a website, but can't find it for the life of me now!

Opens at 10 a.m. and closes at 9:30 P.M., 6 days a week. NOT OPEN ON SUNDAYS! And I have found them closed on some holidays. Telephone # is 336-249-9814.
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/04/29 14:01:52 (permalink)
Thank You! You were just in time, I am packing the car and will be out the door! :-)
sauceman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/04/29 16:34:35 (permalink)
I talked to Wayne Monk at Lexington Barbecue just about two weeks ago. The night I was there, people were lined up out the door and lined up 8-10 deep to pay. Despite the chaos and the rush, though, Wayne calmly took me all through the place, including back around the pits. During the Reagan administration, Wayne prepared barbecue for a state dinner, off-site in Williamsburg, Virginia, feeding Margaret Thatcher, Francois Mitterand, and Helmut Kohl. He's a North Carolina barbecue legend but a most unassuming and affable person. Lexington Barbecue is a bit tricky to get to, if you're unfamiliar with the town. It's right off Business 85 (the offshoot of the Interstate marked by the green signs).

Fred Sauceman
Johnson City, Tennessee
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/04/29 18:40:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sauceman

I talked to Wayne Monk at Lexington Barbecue just about two weeks ago. The night I was there, people were lined up out the door and lined up 8-10 deep to pay. Despite the chaos and the rush, though, Wayne calmly took me all through the place, including back around the pits. During the Reagan administration, Wayne prepared barbecue for a state dinner, off-site in Williamsburg, Virginia, feeding Margaret Thatcher, Francois Mitterand, and Helmut Kohl. He's a North Carolina barbecue legend but a most unassuming and affable person. Lexington Barbecue is a bit tricky to get to, if you're unfamiliar with the town. It's right off Business 85 (the offshoot of the Interstate marked by the green signs).

Fred, I have read your writings and I am a fan of yours.

I will be in Lexington, NC next week and I will stop at Honey Monk's

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Fred Sauceman
Johnson City, Tennessee
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/06 08:57:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I will be in Lexington, NC next week and I will stop at Honey Monk's

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer, When do you expect to be at Monk's?
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/11 19:21:46 (permalink)
Ms Rapunzll how is your trip so far? I grew up in Greensboro and we had Stamey's often. However, our real treat was Lex #1. I still go by there when I go to Gboro. When you get it to go they give you a pckage of white bread buns to go with! You are a lucky girl to get all this good advice! Hope you are having fun.
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/11 19:28:36 (permalink)
I am home now and had a great time. I actually have some left over BBQ from Honey Monks that I'm going to have for dinner tonite. I stopped at the Food Lion in Lexington to pick up some of the Duplin wineries scuppernong wine (you can't find it here in northern Michigan)and asked the man ahead of me how to get there and he not only gave me directions, he also told me I was in luck as it was Friday and on Friday there was a woman who did a berry dessert, dang it, the type is on the tip of my tongue and I can't remember. Anyway, I got a bit of that too and it was good! :-)
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/11 20:40:51 (permalink)
That is too great you were buying scuppernong wine! The perfect NC accompanment (read with a Frenchy accent) for Lex #1. Was the dessert cobbler?
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/11 20:52:08 (permalink)
Yes! Cobbler is the word I was looking for! It was good and supposedly only available on Friday.

I have cheap taste in wine, I like the fact that scuppernong actually tastes like grapes!
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/12 08:39:59 (permalink)
Cobbler is yummy. I am a good Southern girl and have several recipes for it. Email me at shanklemsw@msn.com if you want them.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/12 15:25:47 (permalink)
We went directly from the Greensboro airport to Lexington # 1 to kick off our week long visit back to western North Carolina. I knew I had missed the BBQ (chopped, lean brown) but I had forgotten how good the huspuppies and the sauce laced coleslaw are. I always order the large chopped tray (just meat, coleslaw and huspuppies) and sweet tea. The plate adds fries, but gives a little less meat than the large tray. We also got a case (12 bottles) of their unique "Smokehouse" sauce (they don't ship) to give us a little taste of the Monk recipe when my wife slow cooks a pork loin in a crockpot.

I was reminded why we get to Lexington anytime we are within 100 miles. WHAT A GREAT PLACE!!
apacheplume
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/12 16:33:31 (permalink)
Can anyone tell me if there's still a place in Charlotte that served Lexington-style bbq called "Camp Greene"? Used to go there in the late 80s while working as a reporter for the Charlotte Observer. Or, we'd try to go there; he'd only open up when he felt like it, which wasn't often; he didn't have a phone; and you'd just have to drive by to see if the door was unlocked. It was located in an ancient log-cabin type deal from the 1940's in the warehouse district. I still dream about it.
minniesales
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/14 10:02:44 (permalink)
I used to stop by Lexington #1 on my way home from the High Point furniture market twice a year because my husband wouldn't let me in the house without a pound or two of lean brown and a couple of bottles of sauce. I seem to remember that they also had curb service - you could pull around the side and honk for service. Am I remembering that correctly?
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/14 10:11:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by minniesales

I used to stop by Lexington #1 on my way home from the High Point furniture market twice a year because my husband wouldn't let me in the house without a pound or two of lean brown and a couple of bottles of sauce. I seem to remember that they also had curb service - you could pull around the side and honk for service. Am I remembering that correctly?

Yes, you are.
gbuchold
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/28 14:18:52 (permalink)
Hillbilly,

Do you know if Honey Monk's will be open on Monday (Memorial Day)? I am on my way from Chapel Hill to Charlottesville VA and heard about Lexington BBQ and want to give it a try. I could stop Saturday morning and get it to go, but I'd rather sit down and eat it Monday night if possible.

Greg
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/05/30 14:21:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by gbuchold

Hillbilly,

Do you know if Honey Monk's will be open on Monday (Memorial Day)? I am on my way from Chapel Hill to Charlottesville VA and heard about Lexington BBQ and want to give it a try. I could stop Saturday morning and get it to go, but I'd rather sit down and eat it Monday night if possible.

Greg

I have been out of the loop for a couple of days, but sorry I didn't get back to you before now. I don't know the Memorial Day schedule. Se my post on page 1 for their telephone number.
Jim in NC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/08/23 14:30:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by apacheplume

Can anyone tell me if there's still a place in Charlotte that served Lexington-style bbq called "Camp Greene"? Used to go there in the late 80s while working as a reporter for the Charlotte Observer. Or, we'd try to go there; he'd only open up when he felt like it, which wasn't often; he didn't have a phone; and you'd just have to drive by to see if the door was unlocked. It was located in an ancient log-cabin type deal from the 1940's in the warehouse district. I still dream about it.

That would have been Old Original Barbecue located on Camp Greene St. They were real log-burners and pretty damn good, especially for Charlotte. They closed 10-12 years ago.

Jim
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/08/23 15:39:40 (permalink)
We arrived home Saturday from a short trip to western NC where we spent two days and ate at four Lexington BBQ's.

Our first stop was Lexington BBQ where we forgot to ask for "outside brown" and we made the further mistake of ordering sliced pig. The large thick odd shaped chunks of pork just did not make it for us.
The "dip" was excellent -vinegary and spicy, and the red slaw was also delicious. The hush puppies tasted like they might have been made in a factory someplace and warmed up in the kitchen. But I'd go back with no hesitation the next time I'm in Lexington.

Second stop was Smokey Joe's. This was our favorite, the BBQ ws nicely chopped with a mixture of outside brown and white meat, the sauce was excellent - a little more tomato than at Lexington . the slaw was fine, red, and tasty. The hush puppies were better than at Lexington, but still not the greatest.

We had a late afternoon snack of a BBQ sandwich at Jimmy's which was also very very good. they offered two sauces, one spicier than the thinner one which I learned was just the spicier one watered down a bit. The slaw was excellent .

We drove out to Cook's, a place off the beaten path ,about five miles out of town and pretty much hidden in the woods. The chopped BBQ was delicious, the sauce was spicy without too much heat, and the slaw was the best we had in Lexington. The hush puppies were great - little round slightly larger than a grape sized nuggets of pure corn meal delight. And we had a pleasant conversation with a man and his wife who had grown up in Stone rRidge, NY , a town just over the mountain from us - small world...

We had breakfast of eggs and "livermush" at Jimmy's - the stuff is just like scrapple and I love scrapple. And the huge biscuit at Jimmy's was superior!

Lexington is a great little town to visit. We discovered a wonderful Arts Center, the biggest hardware store I've ever seen, and the people were universally friendly and helpful. The service in every place we went was fast and friendly, and the prices are remarkably low considering the quality of the really fine BBQ available every place we went. BTW: we were given a list of 26 BBQ in and around Lexington to choose from.

Cheers, John
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/08/23 15:55:53 (permalink)
You know Lexington bbq is the real deal when it poses an environmental hazard.

Quoted from the Raleigh "News & Observer":

June 15, 2004 News & Observer, The (Raleigh, NC)
Not bad air, county says, just good barbecue

Wade Rawlins Staff Writer

It seems barbecue smoke by another name -- in this case, pollution -- just doesn't smell as sweet. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says Davidson County doesn't meet a new, tighter standard for particulate matter -- pollutants that include microscopic particles of dust, dirt, soot and smoke. It has considered putting the county on the state's dirty air list, to be released this fall. Being on the list can make it difficult to recruit industry, and
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/08/23 16:19:15 (permalink)
The couple of BBQ's that have opened in NYC have gone thru Hell
trying to get permits because of that sweet and healthful smoke that bureaucratsjust don't understand.

cheers, John
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/08/25 01:08:50 (permalink)
Lexington is still on my "must do" list. Just returned home from trip to Atlanta done only to hit a few roadfood places. Will post a full trip report soon, but didn't have time to stop southbound, had to make do with Stamey's in Greensboro and passed thru nothbound on Sunday with everything closed.
kansascarolinian
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2004/10/06 19:34:53 (permalink)
Don't forget to head west on highway 64 to Asheboro (about 25 miles), and give Hop's BBQ a try. Also try Henry James BBQ , I love their coleslaw and tangy sauce
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2005/03/03 19:39:03 (permalink)
I drove by Lexington BBQ today, yes, I drove by, did not stop. it sure was tempting. I was eating a pizza I'd bought earlier. But, this place looked so neat. It was cold today and the brick building next to the restaurant ( I assume the smokehouse) was billowing out about 4 chimneys of BBQ smoke that I could smell from the road.
I wanted to try bbq on this trip but honestly, there were so many joints it would be impossible.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2005/03/03 20:02:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I drove by Lexington BBQ today, yes, I drove by, did not stop. it sure was tempting. I was eating a pizza I'd bought earlier. But, this place looked so neat. It was cold today and the brick building next to the restaurant ( I assume the smokehouse) was billowing out about 4 chimneys of BBQ smoke that I could smell from the road.
I wanted to try bbq on this trip but honestly, there were so many joints it would be impossible.

Too bad you missed some great "Q" in Lexington. Many will say that this is the best place in the USA for great smoked pork. Others may argue that Lexington, TN is the best. I have never visited Lexington, NC and I look forward to that great experience. You may have missed a wonderful time.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
carlton pierre
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2005/03/03 20:16:42 (permalink)
Not to worry, Paul, I'll be heading back that way again. Your earlier posts indicated you were going there and were going to give a review.

What happened was I'd order a pizza the previous night from a place in Fayetteville called Tony's Pizza which never came so I had pizza on the brain on my way home. Stopped at a neat little place in Siler City, NC called Big Daddy's Pizza and was eating that as I passed thru Lexington. NC, that is.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2005/03/05 22:49:17 (permalink)
I had a large tray of "Lean Brown" (not on menu, just available by request) at Lexington # 1 Thursday and bought an additional 3 pounds(plus 3 pints of slaw) to take home for a gathering Friday night. What a treat!!
carlton pierre
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2005/03/06 06:02:04 (permalink)
What does Lean Brown cost per pound?
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2005/03/06 08:15:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

What does Lean Brown cost per pound?

$9.95. They don't ship, but they keep a supply of styrofoam coolers on hand to ice down your order for the trip home.
brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2005/03/06 08:51:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

I had a large tray of "Lean Brown" (not on menu, just available by request) at Lexington # 1 Thursday and bought an additional 3 pounds(plus 3 pints of slaw) to take home for a gathering Friday night. What a treat!!

Lean Brown is a new one to me. What does that mean?
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ in Lexington, NC 2005/03/06 09:40:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brentk

quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

Lean Brown is a new one to me. What does that mean?

It has more of the outside meat, exposed directly to the wood smoke and direct heat. You can als ask for "outside brown" at a lot of Q joints and get similar meat. It is heavily smoked and there are some who don't particularly like it that way.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1