BBQ in San Antonio TX

Author
stephdun38
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/04/30 18:13:17 (permalink)

BBQ in San Antonio TX

I am looking for good BBQ in San Antonio. So far, all the joints I have visited have failed with a big F. I watched Rachel Ray on $40/day on food network and she made a big deal about Rudy's "The worst BBQ in TX". Well I don't know if all the chains are the same but the one of 1-35 in Shertz sucks big time. Apparently when they say they are the worst BBQ in TX, they mean it. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The ribs were just bone and dry. No meat at all! The brisket sucked and the links were mostly salt. I come from Memphis, so I know good BBQ when I see it, but so far, nada. HELP!!

16 Replies Related Threads

Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/01 08:22:02 (permalink)
    The original Rudys in Leon Springs just west of San Antonio is the only good one. You are within an hours drive of Lockhart for Smittys and Kruze Mkt.. Most places are going to give you ribs with only a dry rub and sauce on the side. However the ribs at these other places are meaty. If you want ribs with sauce cooked on go to R.O.s Outpost in Spicewood just west of Austin on 71.

joe
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/01 16:36:00 (permalink)
    Also the City Market over in Luling is close enough.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1076
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/03 10:50:59 (permalink)
    I havenot tried the Rudy's in Selma(it is actually located there,Schertz is the next town over after you cross Cibolo creek).The one in New Braunfels is okay,but I really want to try City Market in Luling.Harmon's in Cibolo,2 miles from me I thought was good.I once tried their smoked catfish.It was very good.I was kind of wary,but thought what the heck.It was nicely done and smoked for my tastes anyways just right.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/03 11:19:41 (permalink)
    Bushie and TexianJoe echo my sentiments exactly.
    I would just stick with the (great) Tex-Mex food in SA.
    Big Kielbasa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/03 11:45:04 (permalink)
    I have to agree with the first poster, Rudy's other then the one in Leon Springs does not pass the test. I wish Doc would visit some of the franchisees and light a fire under them to stick with his original concept.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/04 01:25:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Kielbasa

I have to agree with the first poster, Rudy's other then the one in Leon Springs does not pass the test. I wish Doc would visit some of the franchisees and light a fire under them to stick with his original concept.

I've eaten at all the Rudy's in the Austin area (meeting friends who wanted to eat there), and I'm not impressed at all with Rudy's. I live within a mile of the one in Round Rock, and I NEVER eat there.

However, I've heard from a number of people that the one in Leon Springs is really good, and I've never eaten there, but it's still on my list.

I have a friend living in Austin whom I've known since elementary school (in Springfield, MO). He's one of the handful of guys that were my "road trip" buddies when we got old enough to drive. Even back then (high school), we searched for local restaurants instead of eating at McDonald's. We still get together once a month for lunch. Bottom line; I trust him.

About a year or so ago, he took his brother-in-law on a central TX bbq trip. In one day, they ate at Smitty's, Kreuz, and Black's in Lockhart, City Market in Luling, and Rudy's in Leon Springs. He said they both thought Rudy's was the best, which totally surprised me.

I still doubt that, but I would give the original Rudy's a try.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/04 06:52:48 (permalink)
    I have stayed at a Marriott facility in Round Rock many times. Sometimes when I am running out of time, I walk over to Rudy's which is only a block away. You can sorta pick and choose and I do that.

I get their brisket with some fat and it is better than OK.

For those of us that are use to good BBQ, this does not come close but in a pinch, It works.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    HollyDolly
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/04 10:30:51 (permalink)
    I understand the Salt Lick BBQ is very good up in Driftwood,near San Marcos and it has been on tv several times. Would like to try the fish fry they have out at Texas Pride BBQ out near St.Hedwig.They have fried fish and music on Friday nights in the summertime. Haven't eaten the "q" though so not sure how good it is.
    I think Bushie mentioned a place out on US HWy 87 in Lone Oak called Home of Da Smoke that he thought was good.
    Never been to Smitty's or any place in Lockhart,but I can't imagine Rudy's being better than these other places.I also cut out an article from the SA Express-News about the Gonzales Meat Market out in Gonzales that also does BBQ.They seemed pleased with it.
    stephdun38
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/04 15:11:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for wonderful suggestions. I plan on following up with each BBQ joint suggested here and will probably report back here whether my experience was the same as everyone's. Do you think the quality of bbq @ each Rudy's matters depending on whether the location is a franchise or company owned?
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/04 16:54:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stephdun38

Thanks for wonderful suggestions. I plan on following up with each BBQ joint suggested here and will probably report back here whether my experience was the same as everyone's. Do you think the quality of bbq @ each Rudy's matters depending on whether the location is a franchise or company owned?

Thats one reason. But mostly I think its because the pit at the original location is well seasoned and its not a commercial smoker like the ones I've seen at the New Braunsfels, Waco and College Station stores.

joe
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/04 20:19:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HollyDolly

I understand the Salt Lick BBQ is very good up in Driftwood,near San Marcos and it has been on tv several times.

I think Bushie mentioned a place out on US HWy 87 in Lone Oak called Home of Da Smoke that he thought was good.

It wasn't me who talked about Home of Da Smoke, but I remember someone did. It's also on my "list to try".

As for Salt Lick, I still like it. It's changed so much from the old days, and I can understand why purists consider it "not real bbq" anymore. I would agree with them if it didn't taste so darn good! The meats taste good, the sides are great, and the sauce is wonderful.
    HollyDolly
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/08 13:23:17 (permalink)
    Now you guys are making me hungery.Why do purists consider Salt Lick not real bbq anymore Bushie?
    To me as long as the meat takes good and the sides as well,who cares?
    It's the flavour I savor.What good is it to do it the "real bbq way"',when the meat isn't tender or full of flavour?Some of these purists are just food snobs to me.

StephDun38,Texas Pride is located out in the country out near St.Hedwig.It's at Lavernia Road and I think FM1518.I think on their website they have a map to the place.I drive by landmarks mainly so I could find it,but would have difficulty explaining it to someone.
    Saw an add for Grady's BBQ.It was their menu.Stuff looked pretty good.Have any of you tried there?
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/26 01:55:21 (permalink)
    Don't listen to anything rachael ray says on her program. She's so afraid to offend anyone that she'd say mcdonald's has the best burgers in the world. She's always oohing and aahing and mmmmm-ing at every restaruant she visits. Frankly, Rudy DOES have the worst bbq. It's terrible and too pepper for my taste. Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo has WONDERFUL juicey bbq. we go there as often as we can.

Harmons BBQ
    100 S. Main
    Cibolo, Tx
    210-658-8889
    HollyDolly
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/05/28 10:22:02 (permalink)
    I talked to my sister the other day,and she said she was going to try to come home for Christmas and was going to bring her boyfriend Ross with her.Heard him say something in the background.I asked what he said and Jessica told me he wanted to know if there were any BBQ and mexican places by me.Told them Lord,Yes.
    It's hard to get the real thing up in new york.
    Will have to try the places everyone has recomended.Since they are coming at Christmas I'll have to check out their holiday hours.
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/06/02 19:06:31 (permalink)
    The family style dinner at the Salt Lick is the way to go. In descending order of "goodness" in my opinion, are the brisket, sausages and then the pork ribs. The ribs aren't baby backs and tend to be tougher and less moist than the slow smoked baby backs you would find in KC or Memphis, in my view.

I may have a minority opinion about the sauce used by the Salt Lick, but I like their mustard based sauce (unusual in TX to say the least) about as well as any.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
    Originally posted by HollyDolly

I understand the Salt Lick BBQ is very good up in Driftwood,near San Marcos and it has been on tv several times.

It wasn't me who talked about Home of Da Smoke, but I remember someone did. It's also on my "list to try".

As for Salt Lick, I still like it. It's changed so much from the old days, and I can understand why purists consider it "not real bbq" anymore. I would agree with them if it didn't taste so darn good! The meats taste good, the sides are great, and the sauce is wonderful.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio TX 2007/06/04 07:43:25 (permalink)
    The only Rudy’s I have been to was the one on 183 in Austin. I thought the brisket was OK, but I loved their ribs. I also thought Kreuz Market was pretty poor BBQ, so to each his own, I suppose.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1