BBQ in San Antonio

Author
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1069
2008/05/28 08:59:39 (permalink)

BBQ in San Antonio

Wow,today's food section of the San Antonio Express News
gives a list and description of BBQ joints around San Antonio.
!.Augie's Barbedwire Smokehouse www.augiesbarbedwiresmokehouse.com

2.Barbecue Station Restaurant www.barbecuestation.com
3.Bill Miller BBQ www.billmillerbbq.com This is a local chain
4.City Market in Luling
5.The CountyLine BBQ www.countyline.com Was not impressed with their stuff and the location listed is on the River Walk area.
6.Grady's Hill Country Smokehouse www.gradysbbq.com
7.Harmon's Babecue in Cibolo www.harmonsbbq.com
8.Harrison Family BBQ,204 E.Central,Nixon,Texas
9.Home of Da Smoke,13433 U.S.Hwy 87E.,St.Hedwig ,Tx.Someone in the past posted a review of the place, got good marks for flavour.
10.Old Smokehouse, San Antonio,www.oldsmokehouse.net
11.Rudy's Country Store and BAr-B-q various locations,
12.The SmokeHouse,roland Avenue,San Antonio,www.thesmokehousesa.com
13.Texas Pride Barbecue,2980 E.Loop 1604S.Adkins,Tx.
www.texaspridebbq.com
This last one has a fish fry every Friday night throughout the Spring and Summer,.You can also purchase naturally their bbq,and listen to a band play.

At Harmon's you can get a big baked potato loaded with bbq,and i had an excellent smoked catfish there one time for lunch.
Wish i didn't work friday night or i would go to Texas Pride,instead of TJMAXX.
The SmokeHouse,located at Rigsby and Roland in San Antonio,was the only San Antonio BBQ joint listed amongst the Top 50 barbecue spots
in Texas according to Texas Monthly's June Issue,2008.

7 Replies Related Threads

iceomat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio 2008/06/01 14:25:13 (permalink)
    I worked at a Bill Miller's in Austin for a while and it was really poor bbq. I was a manager and got free food, but I still wouldn't eat the meat. They did have pretty good pies and fried chicken, but I wouldn't recommend the place to anybody.
    HollyDolly
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio 2008/06/02 09:10:35 (permalink)
    Well,I eat occasionally at Bill Miller's. Haven't been to Harmon's in awhile,though I ought to maybe next week.
    They get really packed at times with people from Randolph AFB.
    Bill Miller's is fairly quick,and sometimes I want something different.I go out once and awhile to Goerke's in Marion.
    A friend at work is getting married in July,and they are having BBq from Bill Miller's for their reception food.Still think bbq is not wedding food,but that's just me.If getting married would want a nice restaurant or hotel for my reception.
    Yeah,you're' right about the food.Had their chicken tenders and they were very good.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3728
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio 2008/06/02 09:21:11 (permalink)
    I don't know what it is, but from my somewhat limited experiences in San Antonio, it seems as though the BBQ belt missed this city completely.
    skylark68
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio 2008/06/26 13:41:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I don't know what it is, but from my somewhat limited experiences in San Antonio, it seems as though the BBQ belt missed this city completely.

You definitely have to go outside of San Antonio for the most part for good BBQ from what I've found. Luling, Lockhart, and Taylor aren't too far and have the BEST BBQ in Texas.

I live right outside of Houston and it's pretty poor BBQ wise too.
    HollyDolly
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio 2008/06/27 10:12:58 (permalink)
    I have to agree with you on this one.Just like San Antonio is not noted for any great seafood restaurants.
    xstcher2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio 2008/07/05 10:28:25 (permalink)
    Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo, Tx is awesome. We eat there frequently and we took a friend their once and anytime he needs catering and the theme is bbq he only uses Harmon's.
    MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: BBQ in San Antonio 2008/08/20 19:53:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by xstcher2

Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo, TX is awesome. We eat there frequently and we took a friend their once and anytime he needs catering and the theme is bbq he only uses Harmon's.
    Having lived in the San Antonio area (mostly in the Universal City to New Braunfels area) for the last 30+ years, I have to confirm the idea that true excellent BBQ has bypassed San Antonio. You have the choice between big-place and chain BBQ or small mediocre BBQ. The only exception to this anywhere near town is indeed Harmon's in Cibolo. Maybe it's because it used to be a woodworking shop, and all the fine wood aura remains, or maybe it's the fine hard work and dedication, but their grub is Excellent! Even the old stand-by from decades ago, Goerke's in Marion, has lost it's way.

Outside of that, there is the Lockhart BBQ nexus (Black's, Smitty's, Kreuz Market and the under-appreciated Chisholm Trail), the City Market in Luling, and the many great places in the Texas Hill Country (like Cooper's in Llano). But for the best BBQ near San Antonio, it's definitely Harmon's.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1