BBQ

Author
euclid
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
2012/05/23 20:11:02 (permalink)

BBQ

Curious. In Sundays NYT, 5/20/12 edition, in the Travel section, page 12, there was an article entiteled "$100 a Day On the Road".  The author mentions the three following BBQ joints. Any comments, experience or must go?

Moore's Old Tyme BBQ, New Bern, N.C.
Hog Heaven, Pawleys Island, S.C.
Randy's Bar-B- Que, Savannah, Ga.
   No need for editorials regarding my reading preferences; I only buy the NYT on Sunday for the Book Review and Travel section. What I do however is drive this approximate route several times a year. Always willing to make a detour
   Shamelessly, I admit, I did not go to the SEARCH function...not interested in dusty archives.  Always curious about good food. Again, I cannot encourage you fine folks enough to try Gary Lee's just North of the recently departed Geogia Pig. You would be cheating yourselves if you do not make this stop. Nope, I do not have a dime invested other than eating their fine exquiste chow.

Euclid

2 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:BBQ 2012/05/23 20:38:57 (permalink)
    euclid
      No need for editorials regarding my reading preferences; I only buy the NYT on Sunday for the Book Review and Travel section. What I do however is drive this approximate route several times a year. Always willing to make a detour
      Shamelessly, I admit, I did not go to the SEARCH function...not interested in dusty archives.  Always curious about good food.
    Again, I cannot encourage you fine folks enough to try Gary Lee's just North of the recently departed Georgia Pig. You would be cheating yourselves if you do not make this stop. Nope, I do not have a dime invested other than eating their fine exquisite chow.
    Euclid

Hopefully you've got things covered ...  ... Perhaps we can enjoy a rare dialog about food ... and get some refreshing, current info and opinions.  Kudos.
    All I can offer is that my one trip to GA Pig was rewarding ... I look forward to following your advice Gary Lee's.
    euclid
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:BBQ 2012/05/29 21:07:45 (permalink)
    Well Wheregreggeats.com, it appears that we are not creating any traction with this post. In that it seems we have our own thread here, some comments if I may. The Georgia Pig was certainly rewarding when it was on. Having eaten there many times over the past several years however, when it was on..superb. When not, regretable. No need to editorialize. No longer relevant.
       On the current update side of travels and stops. Dixie Crossroads continues to excell with their rock shrimp. I might add they have added grilled oysters to their menu, topped with a garlic, cheese and butter combo and served with a hefty piece of garlic bread slice (half a loaf). Well worth the pain of not only eating that but 24 rock shrimp as well. As an aside, while washing my hands in the mens room after my meal, a rather large man came into the bathroom moaning. I inquired whether he was O.K. and he responded that he had just finished "all you can eat" shrimp; 12 dozen worth. On his way to catching a flight to Dallas. Delighted I was not on that flight. Wow. On my way out, we spoke to the manager about this feat and he informed us the most shrimp he had seen consumed in one sitting was 22 DOZEN! RIP.
       I think Tony's Subs in Scranton Pa. has been reviewed here before, but alas my skill sets do not permit me to confirm. I will state that their Cheese Steaks are simply outside of the sandwich definition. Bucket list must do.
       Left field on this one. Pizza in Florida??? If ever in the Homestead Florida area, skip the grouper for at least one meal and try the Big Cheese. A million items on the menu but, be advised, their pizza is as good as I have had. I believe they have a spot in Miami as well.
       Thank you kindly for responding to my post. It seems that one is always commanded to search and figure out one's own path when so many have gone before. I get it but that misses the critical point. Is the restaurant still great or if its still open. Heck, even the Kool Aid cats running the show and writing their books, and I thank them gratefully, observe that some of the best are deceased or on the critical list.
       Cafe Del Buono, Utica New York. Try it.
    Euclid
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1