BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2008/10/28 11:15:35 (permalink)

BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52"

during my recent L.A/Vegas vacation, I arranged to meet Roadfooder Mar52, cause I really liked the style of their Roadfood posts.
("their" style, as I did not know whether Mar52 was a guy or gal, until we talked on the phone)
We met on OCT 9th, 2008 for lunch..

We had that instant Roadfood chemistry!
Here is me and MARLENE inside JOEY'S SMOKIN' BBQ

We first ATTEMPTED to eat at this JOEY'S SMOKIN BBQ, Manhattan Beach

6 other locations, mostly in San Diego area. This is their first L.A.
county one. Been open for about a year.
I had read real MIXED reviews on www.YELP.com, and I was anxious to give MY opinion!

Marlene said to the counter girl "I'll have the tri-tip and the macaroni salad".
She was met with this blunt but pleasant response : "We're out of the tri-tip and the macaroni salad"

I figured I would try the beef ribs. Would'nt you know, they were out of them, as well!!!
who ever heard of this?!? I told them they would be better off putting "when available" next to those menu items. Espescially cause the gal told me they had'nt had beef ribs in TWO days!
Plus it was only 11 am, so no place should be out of all that stuff!

Marlene suggested we go over to BABY BLUES BBQ in Venice,

Great idea, Marlene, as I was planning to hit that place, anyway.
Been there a year and a half ago, and loved the beef ribs.

My BEEF RIB from BABY BLUES BBQ, Venice, CA...it was good and crusty!

Marlene had the BRISKET...it was not prepared like either one of us expected!!! She said it was tasty, but it was like eating SPAGHETTI!
Marlene's BRISKET from Baby Blues BBQ

When the waitress came by she let us know "We are out of ..."
Oh no, I was thinking, not again.... well, at least they were just out of one thing, potato salad.

BABY BLUES BBQ menu, Venice, CA.... on Sepulveda Blvd.

After lunch, Marlene suggested homemade ICE CREAM. I was GAME!
GLACIER ice cream, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (about 5 miles south of LAX)

This chain is based in Colorado, and has only about 5 locations.
This L.A. area one is their first one outside of Colorado.
I liked my dark chocolate, but wished my vanilla choc chip had more vanilla flavor. It was plain tasting.

Needed to start working off that jumbo rib, so i did some powerwalking on the beach bike path.
PLAYA DEL REY (only about 2 miles from LAX)

This is the BICYCLE/foot path only bridge that connects MARINA DEL REY with Playa Del Rey. In the background are some of the nice Marina Del Rey houses.

PLAYA DEL REY again, the amazing bike path goes 18 miles, from Santa Monica all the way down to Redondo Beach/Torrance

please COME BACK for more !
Cause I actually DID go back to Joey's on my last day in L.A.
(I'm an idiot, huh?!?) PICS coming later !!! Check back tonight!!

35 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 11:49:05 (permalink)
    Ellen,

Is that Mexican cheese on the corn? It looks excellent! How was it?

John
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 11:52:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

Ellen,

Is that Mexican cheese on the corn? It looks excellent! How was it?

John

Yes, I believe it was that Mexican cojita cheese!
    And it was as excellent as it looked!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 12:47:47 (permalink)
    That was not Beef Briskit, more like Pot Roast, you can't make briskit come out like that even if you wanted to, which I personally wouldn't!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 14:15:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chewingthefat

That was not Beef Briskit, more like Pot Roast, you can't make briskit come out like that even if you wanted to, which I personally wouldn't!

You're right! They should NOT even be calling that brisket..
    they should just call it POT ROAST.
    Even though Marlene said it was good, I felt bad, cause we were both disenchanted when we saw it. Our jaws dropped!
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1157
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 14:51:30 (permalink)
    Hey, Sister! Nice beef rib! Hiya, Mar! It's nice to see you! I've got to say that I had brisket at Sweet Lucy's over in Philly, and the texture really looks something like that. It doesn't taste pot-roastish, though. It's so fantastic that you can come with a BBQ alternative just like that. You can't do that in Jersey!

And why is Whoopie Goldberg standing behind you two in that first picture? LOL.

Pictures are great and I'm starving. Only a few more hours till honey hot wings at PJ Whelihan's with my honey! Pictures just might follow...eventually.

Nice BBQ report.

Much love,

Harriet
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 14:53:26 (permalink)
    Hi Ellen! We had fun!

Can you believe a barbecue joint being out of barbecue?

The flavor of my *cough* brisket was good, but the strings were tough. To eat them I spun them on the fork like spaghetti. Not good! I'd NEVER order it again.

The spinach was called Creamed Spinach. After the first taste, I didn't touch it. It was nasty flavored with way too much nutmeg and the cream was just milk stirred in to the cook spinach. Crossing that one off of my list also.

The corn bread and corn were Deeeeeeelicious! I added some hot sauce to my corn. I could make a meal just of that so I left Baby Blues happy.

Ellen lives in New Jersey and I live in Los Angeles. It turns out we know some of the same people, one living in Las Vegas.

It's a small, small world and Roadfood is making it smaller!

Ellen, I can't wait until you make it back out this way. It was fun!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 15:40:30 (permalink)
    That IS Whoopie and why is she looking at my tush like that?

Hi Harriet, are you "the sister"? The pork rib eating sister?

Come to LA and I'll eat pork ribs with you!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 15:57:29 (permalink)
    There they are...Beef Ribs!!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3727
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 16:00:50 (permalink)
    Ellen, this was fun to read and it looks like you found a really fun dining companion............how nice!
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 16:43:59 (permalink)
    Even though they called it brisket, it was most likely made from a chuck roll which is a primal cut from the chuck. Cooking a true brisket, there is no where on the brisket you could get strands of beef that length. And keep in mind that they use a chuck roll instead of brisket because a chuck roll is cheaper per lb. and should have less shrinkage than regular brisket because it does not have as much fat in it.

John
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 17:10:21 (permalink)
    Looks like the start of another Ellen classic trip report.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 19:31:06 (permalink)
    Ellen4642 and Mar52:

Sure looks like you had fun together!

Mar52: I appreciated your comments when I took the trip to L.A. in August. I see that you are indeed a local, and anyone that Ellen gives the "seal of approval" to, has mine too.

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 19:41:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mar52

Hi Harriet, are you "the sister"? The pork rib eating sister?
    Come to LA and I'll eat pork ribs with you!

Harriet affectionately calls me "sister". She's one of my Jersey Roadfood.com sisters! We met on the NJ Hot Dog tour a year ago, and hung out again on the tour last month. She's very bubbly, like me, and would've fit right in with our L.A. BBQ adventures!

Both Harriet and my blood sister, Nancy, can be found on my NJ Hot Dog Tour report in the Hot Dog forum. Sept. 2008.

That's neat, though, that you remember that my actual sister does go for those PORK ribs. She loves those baby backs, while I'm all beef.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 19:44:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

Ellen4642 and Mar52:
    Sure looks like you had fun together!
    Mar52: I appreciated your comments when I took the trip to L.A. in August. I see that you are indeed a local, and anyone that Ellen gives the "seal of approval" to, has mine too

Hey, Don! So nice reading your comment!
    Next time you're in L.A., Mar52 is great company to have a nosh with!
    Her and I really connected.
    Just think, that in less than a week you and I will be finally "meating up" for the first time. Daytona, here we come!

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 19:47:41 (permalink)
    Looks like you all had a great time

Although I'm melting at the...gasp..... thought of even considering bbq in Southern California, it does make me look forward to my trip to San Diego/LA which I plan to take next April, except I'll be indulging inAUTHENTIC-REGIONAL roadfood such as Street & Fish Tacos/ Burritos, Smoothies, Sushi/Rolls/Teriyaki and a French Dip or Two.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 19:57:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Looks like you all had a great time

I'm already excited to read your eventual LA/San Diego report!
    Your trip is only 6 months away!

I hear what you are saying about REGIONAL specialties..
    but for me personally, THOSE beef ribs are a L.A. specialty, as I can't get anything like that here in my A.C area!
    NO beef ribs on any menus. Nothing I've seen, anyway, except for Kelsey and Kim's BBQ in Pleasantville that does short ribs.

Hey, I like your multi-colored new posting style, WJ!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 20:00:47 (permalink)
    WJ
    When I saw today's front-page Restaurant... The Mexican Restaurant in Springfield, Mass. I thought of you.

Yep, Watching those Illegals swim the Conneticut River to get out of CN and into Mass. Now there's Regional Specialization for you !!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 20:04:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

WJ
    When I saw today's front-page Restaurant... The Mexican Restaurant in Springfield, Mass. I thought of you.

Yep, Watching those Illegals swim the Conneticut River to get out of CN and into Mass. Now there's Regional Specialization for you !!

I know what you mean Al,

I was thinking the same thing this morning when I first saw it

I'm gonna have to have a heart to heart with Chris and Amy about that one
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 20:22:00 (permalink)
    As pissed as I was that JOEY'S SMOKIN BBQ was somehow out of BEEF RIBS 11 am,
    I went back for a return attempt at my beef ribs.
    It was Sunday, Oct. 12th, my last day in L.A.
    This time I called first (around 11 am again) I was told by an Andy that "We still have a few left"
    JOEY'S SMOKIN BBQ, Manhattan Beach, CA.... in the parking lot of the nice Manhattan Village Mall.
    It's in the same structure as the movie theatre

I questioned Andy upon entering about why they have trouble keeping beef ribs in STOCK. He said "It's the new supplier we're using. They often don't seem to have enough to sell us, but we like using them cause of the meat quality"
    Anyway, my BEEF RIBS were AWFUL! (in my humble opinion!)

They tasted like they had been BOILED in a pot all night; a soggy,watery taste to me, not a good crusty taste (like BABY BLUES BBQ had)
    I had about 2 bites and threw them out.

MORE L.A. BBQ joints coming in my "L.A. BBQ, Part 2"
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 20:34:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Looks like the start of another Ellen classic trip report.

Actually, since I went to so many places between my 8 days in L.A., and 8 days in Vegas, that I was thinking of splitting up my reports a little bit...(like "L.A. delis", "L.A. Burgers", etc) (sorry , no SUSHI report , Wandering Jew)

But then I just read Ken8038's input on my other thread...
    He suggested I break it down into a part 1, part 2, etc, like I did with my CT Trip report.
    And I can still write in names of restaurants , like "part 2, L.A., Porky's BBQ". He said it's easier to follow that way, instead of me jumping all around to the different food type boards.

mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 21:45:44 (permalink)
    Ellen, I was sorry to hear about your soggy Joey's ribs. I won't give them another try.

We need to do something, though.

This disappointing Joeys is... "Joey's Smokin B-B-Q"...

not to be mistaken with: Joey's Bar-b-q http://www.joeysbbq.com/ (I see a California lawsuit in the making)

MAJOR difference!

I don't know how you'd rate their beef ribs, but let me tell you something. I'd drive you all the way to one of their locations just to eat there. Love that place! I'd also drive you back of course. Maybe we could stop at Langer's or Canter's on the way back!

My critque on Glacier's ice cream.... I've already been back! I can't get enough of that Key Lime Ice Cream.

Again, it was fun and I'd love to do it again!

Miami Don... I was happy to help you with where to eat in LA and let me tell you that you did LA proud! Even though I frequent a lot of the places that you ate, I was able to enjoy it again through your pictures and narration. If you ever come back I'll show you the real way to eat a Phillipe's French Dip and it won't be for breakfast.

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/28 23:20:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mar52

Ellen, I was sorry to hear about your soggy Joey's ribs. I won't give them another try.

We need to do something, though.
    This disappointing Joeys is... "Joey's Smokin B-B-Q"...
    not to be mistaken with: Joey's Bar-b-q http://www.joeysbbq.com/ (I see a California lawsuit in the making)
    MAJOR difference!

I don't know how you'd rate their beef ribs, but let me tell you something. I'd drive you all the way to one of their locations just to eat there. Love that place! I'd also drive you back of course. Maybe we could stop at Langer's or Canter's on the way back!

You're ON , fellow Roadfood gal! I'm definitely excited about going for some noshes with you when I'm in L.A. again..
    I've been to one of those JOEY'S BBQ places a few times while living in L.A. (like on the way back from the L.A. County Fair)
    I loved the place, too.... and of course, I had their beef ribs!
    It's got a nice, rustic feel in there, as well.

Once again, Roadfooders, do NOT confuse Joey's SMOKIN BBQ with this completely unaffiliated "Joey's BBQ" small 3 location chain.
    And that's so NEAT that you are already enlightened with that other Joey's. (espescially being that it's more than an hour away from you, and more like 2 hours in rush hour!)
    When I lived in L.A., I cruised all over the place, too...

It would be so relaxing to have you drive again,(you are so cool!) but of course, I'll insist on paying for all our noshes.
    And like you said, we'll hit LANGER'S and Cantor's on the way back into town!
    Perhaps I'll come back into L.A. in the late winter/early spring...

mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/29 00:03:41 (permalink)
    You're on! I have no problem driving for good food.

Wish my friends understood it.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/29 03:35:25 (permalink)
    Ellen and Marlene, great report! Thanks so much. I haven't been to L.A. since 2001 when I spent 3 months driving through the state and went around L.A. for 3 weeks. If Baby Blues wasn't spelling North CAROLINA correctly, then I'd be worried about their spot-on recreation of its BBQ. I'd be disappointed with that brisket too! Lots of smoke and sauce on the side is how I'd expect Texas style brisket to be.

Great shots of Playa Del Ray. If I lived there, I'd be biking along that path 5 days a week! Gorgeous!

Those ribs from Joey's did look suspect, like they overly sauced them just before serving, trying to hide inferior meat.

Looking forward to the rest of the report!
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/29 04:54:32 (permalink)

I miss So-Cal. It is a different state of mind.

Close reading of the menu states that the brisket is beer braised. This will certainly create a stringy appearance using the grain to this effect. In some ways, what you see is what California has called beef BBQ since way back when I was cooking there, this actually looks better than I remember. It is possible that he is using tri-tip as their 'brisket'. Odd that tri-tip doesn't appear on the menu. That's regional.

=== it does make me look forward to my trip to San Diego/LA which I plan to take next April, except I'll be indulging in AUTHENTIC-REGIONAL roadfood such as Street & Fish Tacos/ Burritos, Smoothies, Sushi/Rolls/Teriyaki and a French Dip or Two.===

I think that if I was in So-Cal, BBQ would be on my agenda after I ate every other style and type of cuisine. ...twice. For a beef injection, I would go for burgers.

mark
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/29 08:05:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

I miss So-Cal. It is a different state of mind.

Close reading of the menu states that the brisket is beer braised. This will certainly create a stringy appearance using the grain to this effect. In some ways, what you see is what California has called beef BBQ since way back when I was cooking there, this actually looks better than I remember. It is possible that he is using tri-tip as their 'brisket'. Odd that tri-tip doesn't appear on the menu. That's regional.

=== it does make me look forward to my trip to San Diego/LA which I plan to take next April, except I'll be indulging in AUTHENTIC-REGIONAL roadfood such as Street & Fish Tacos/ Burritos, Smoothies, Sushi/Rolls/Teriyaki and a French Dip or Two.===

I think that if I was in So-Cal, BBQ would be on my agenda after I ate every other style and type of cuisine. ...twice. For a beef injection, I would go for burgers.

mark

Mark after my "nirvana like experiences" with burgers in Omaha, I know nothing will compare. I see the "wink" so you know my thoughts that burgers in LA are extremely overrated. Besides the burgers I get here in Rhode Island are so much better. I do look forward to another trip to another burger mecca- Kansas City. But unfortunately I have to wait till 2010 since I'm gonna tie that trip in with Minnesota (and the Twin's new ballpark), Iowa and the Dakotas
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/29 09:25:17 (permalink)

wj,

I agreed, go with what is available and popular in the region. L.A. is such a cultural mix, that BBQ would not be a goal. My point was that I would try many other foods -twice- before going for BBQ. I would go to the Baja Fresh store that is right next to the BBQ place. I bet they have everything on the menu.
    There are many different beef dishes to be found down there. Go to a Korean BBQ, for their beef ribs and if you like pickled vegetables, they have that down too.
    My ex was from Memphis and she would not let me eat California BBQ. Bless her heart on that one.... I don't eat Cajun/Creole food in Connecticut. No need for disappointment. I sense that ellen felt that way with some of the things she encountered.

=== I see the "wink" so you know my thoughts that burgers in LA are extremely overrated===

They weren't a goal for me either, but while there I did have to try the usual standard bearers for burgers in L.A., once.

Here is what a California burger was for me. I ate here all the time.
    excellent burger, rings and shakes.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3951

They have expanded the menu considerably since I left. One thing I want to point out is the Bordenave burger. The roll is made by Bordenave's Bakery, one of the better bakeries in the Bay Area. This is a -true- sourdough with a firm and unique texture. It is a all American burger that you cannot get anywhere else in America:
    http://www.phyllisgiantburgers.com/menu/burgers.html

mark
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/29 12:25:32 (permalink)
    Ellen, if you ever get to Playa del Rey again, there is a super road food joint there called "The Shack", a burger place, try the Shackburger, Loisiana hot link charbroiled on top of the charbroiled patty, unforgettable!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5077
    RE: BBQ "meat up" with lovely L.A. Roadfooder "Mar52" 2008/10/29 12:45:33 (permalink)
    Marlene, I wonder if your serving came from the brisket point and not the flat. This photo is about a year old but IIRC the slices are from the flat and the piece to the right with the visible grain is part of the point:[URL='http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/Brad_Olson/Grilling/373090-R1-050-23A_023.jpg'][/URL]

Brad
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1