BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast

Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2005/02/17 22:47:38 (permalink)

BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast

quote:
Stevekoe said: I am less inclined to do seafood in AZ, unless it is something extraordinary. I live on the coast of central Florida, and we get some seafood here! BBQ and steaks are lacking, though.

He said this in another thread, but it got me going because I had some pretty good Q for supper tonight in the central FL town of Bunnell (corner of SR-100 and US 1)--I keep forgetting the name of the place though it's Fat somebody's. My family lives in Ormond Beach and I have lived in Gainesville and Winter Park although I now live out west, spreading my time between 2 towns where decent Q is REALLY scarce. So I find it a treat when I get back here where there seems to be a BBQ place anywhere you go. At least in the Daytona area there are 3 local chains that I know of (Sonny's, Dustin's and Woody's) and any of them are better than anything I know of in either SF or Tucson. For one thing, the concept of "sweet tea" in a LARGE glass just hasn't penetrated outside the southeast but it's an essential part of the BBQ ritual IMHO. Dustin's, in particular, not only gives you that huge glass of tea but asks you if you want another one, gratis, to go when you leave--I usually do. Also, I like PORK Q and out west they seem to focus on brisket and chicken and such.

8 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast 2005/02/17 23:59:24 (permalink)
    BT, was it Fat Boy's, on US 1 a little south of Titusville and Dixie Crossroads.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast 2005/02/18 09:48:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

BT, was it Fat Boy's, on US 1 a little south of Titusville and Dixie Crossroads.

No. I used to be a regular at Fat Boy's on 441 at the southern edge of Gainesville in the 70's and I'd love to try it now. But the place I ate last night is small and independent and it's at the corner of SR-100 and US 1 in Bunnell as I said.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast 2005/02/18 15:40:21 (permalink)
    Was it Fat Man's by any chance? Stopped there once several years ago--before I became a road food junkie. Remember that it was better than okay. How did you find it compared to some of the better Que you've had?

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast 2005/02/18 17:00:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

Was it Fat Man's by any chance? Stopped there once several years ago--before I became a road food junkie. Remember that it was better than okay. How did you find it compared to some of the better Que you've had?

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

I think so, but I can't quite remember what came after the "Fat". It IS better than average. I've now eaten there twice. It seemed really good the first time. Yesterday, the meat didn't seem quite as tender but still very flavorful. I can only speak for the pork though--both times I had a pork sandwich.

I've got to admit I've had to settle for a lot of mediocre BBQ for the last 22 years I've lived beyond the BBQ belt. So I'm easily pleased these days but this did please me.

But I really started this thread not to praise this one place but to get others to help me convince Stevekoe there IS worthy BBQ in Central Florida.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast 2005/02/21 18:24:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT
    But I really started this thread not to praise this one place but to get others to help me convince Stevekoe there IS worthy BBQ in Central Florida.

You may be right, but I don't know that I would call Bunnell central Florida!

Not really trying to nitpick, but I think most people consider anything north of the I-4 corridor, especially on the east coast to be "north Florida."

But, if you tell me that it is worth driving this far:
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1a=&1c=melbourne&1s=fl&1z=&1ah=&2y=US&2a=&2c=bunnell&2s=fl&2z=&2ah=
    ...then I will go!

Steve
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast 2005/02/21 21:34:38 (permalink)
    I'm not trying to tell you to drive over 100 miles to this place. It's decent but not THAT good. I'm trying to (1) suggest that given the number of BBQ places around Volusia and Flagler Counties (and, from what I recall, in Alachua, Marion and Orange Counties) it's hard to believe there's nothing near Melbourne, and (2) stimulate people closer to Melbourne to offer suggestions.

As far as the "North Florida/Central Florida" thing, being no longer a Floridian I don't pretend to expertise but the Daytona TV stations (which admittedly also cover Orlando) call their coverage area "Central Florida". Back when I lived in Gainesville, we kind of looked at anything from Ocala south as "Central Florida". I think it depends on from where you are looking at it.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast 2005/02/22 17:37:34 (permalink)
    Is a hundred miles really that far to drive to try a new "Q" shack?? I DON'T THINK SO! At the least it gives you a destination for those saturday explorations rides to nowhere. If you can't find good "Q" in florida your not looking. Chains like Sonny's and Bono's are everywhere and small shacks are tucked back off the beaten path all over florida as in most of the south. Of course some people are only looking for a specific type of "Q". Personally I don't really care if the sauce is mustard, tomatoe or vinager based, good "Q" is good "Q"
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: BBQ near the east-central Florida Coast 2005/02/22 18:17:34 (permalink)
    Here is a site that might give a little guidance.

http://www.flbbq.org/joints.htm

As far as Melbourne goes,Brevard has a large quanity of q joints.

Charlie & Jake's,on the Eau Gallie CSWY,would be as close as we get for quality.

Stick with the pork.

Tom
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1