BBQ places in Columbia SC

Author
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
2003/03/07 08:52:56 (permalink)

BBQ places in Columbia SC

I recommend you try Milenders or Little Pigs in Columbia SC. They are both buffet style, about $8 each. Excellent BBQ, both mustard based and some vinegar based.

Also recommend Ward's BBQ in Sumter, SC. This one is ketchup based. The hash and rice is great !

17 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2003/03/07 09:22:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

I recommend you try Milenders or Little Pigs in Columbia SC. They are both buffet style, about $8 each. Excellent BBQ, both mustard based and some vinegar based.

Also recommend Ward's BBQ in Sumter, SC. This one is ketchup based. The hash and rice is great !

Drat! we were just there, but missed them. Oh, well, there's always more time to eat SC BBQ ... one of my favorite styles. We DID get to Sweatman's in Holly Hill. Mmmmm-good! Thanks for the tips.
    dt917
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2003/03/10 17:12:56 (permalink)
    For Columbia, SC, you can't beat Maurice's Piggy Park. Tons of local color, too -- Maurice is a notorious Confederate, which was quite a sight for this Boston yankee. Enjoy your pulled pork and mustard sauce while reading a self-published screed about how Abraham Lincoln was a godless, filthy liar (for sale, 50 cents at the counter).
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2003/04/09 23:38:38 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Leave Columbia on U. S. 1 and drive the 25 or 30 miles to Batesburg/Leesville. There are two places there within three blocks of each other.
    Shealy's Bar-B-Que House at 340 E. Columbia Ave. (on U. S. 1) is the more famous and ostentatious of the two, with superb vinegar and mustard sauced pork, great barbecue beans (probably the best I've ever had), and excellent coarse-chopped cole slaw. We were there on Saturday night, and they had something they called "chicken stew" that was mind-blowingly good. They serve buffet style, so you can try a bit of everything and oof your way out when you're sated. They're closed on Sundays.
    Jackie Hite's is on Railroad Street: there is a sign on Columbia Avenue - about three blocks east of Shealy's on the other side of the street - directing you. Their mustard sauce pork is extraordinary, the cole slaw is heavenly, and although their buffet is nowhere near as large a spread as Shealy's, danged if I didn't prefer Hite's item-to-item just a tad. They're closed on Mondays.
    This, folks, is a double whammy that is not to be missed.
    Sincerely Satisfied, Ort. Carlton.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2003/04/10 08:38:09 (permalink)
    D&H BBQ in Manning is excellent too ! They have a very tangy vinegar based BBQ. Tastes great and a nice place to eat.

mobley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2003/04/10 13:36:35 (permalink)
    Don't like that mustard BBQ, but boy, oh boy, BBQ hash is some fine stuff and found only in SC. Anyone know of an SC phenom know as chicken bog? If so, where can i find some.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2003/04/10 14:49:47 (permalink)
    Very familiar with Chicken bog, and I LOVE IT ! Unfortunately I have only had it at either my mother's or grandmother's house. Don't ever recall seeing it on any menus anywhere !

Red Chicken stew and catfish stew too !
    lechap
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2003/06/24 08:51:47 (permalink)
    I've eaten at the Piggy Park many times and each time Maurice's politics made the pork less sweet. I think I've been there for the last time. However, if you're ever in Holly Hill, SC you gotta' try Sweatman's BBQ. Only open on Friday and Saturday, it's located a couple miles outside Holly Hill in an old farm house. Just ask anyone for directions, Sweatman's is legendary. The deal is, for $6.00 you can have all the whole hog que, ribs, hash, rice, slaw, and white bread you can pile on a styrofoam plate. Price includes sweet tea and for $.50 you can top it off with a great banana puddin'.
    MasterRegi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/25 19:46:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dt917

For Columbia, SC, you can't beat Maurice's Piggy Park. Tons of local color, too -- Maurice is a notorious Confederate, which was quite a sight for this Boston yankee. Enjoy your pulled pork and mustard sauce while reading a self-published screed about how Abraham Lincoln was a godless, filthy liar (for sale, 50 cents at the counter).

-----------
    Anyone with an ounce of self respect would not patronize Maurice's Piggy Park B-B-Q. My first time in Piggy Park I noticed religious literature, which in itself is no problem, but when there are more flyers about "Maurice's own Personal Religious Beliefs" advocating black slavery as a long-time practiced christian idea, I was quite offended, (even though I am Hispanic), at the idea that anyone would openly support that way of life in their business. I never went back again.
    Then ...
    If anyone recalls the "Confederate Flag Debate" here in SC a few years back. Once it was decided to remove the flag from the statehouse, Maurice immediately placed Confederate flags at all his store locations and was fined for too many banners according to current laws, he fought it and was mildly reprimanded but has still been flying them. He is such an ignorant A**hole that in protest he even placed flags at locations that were closed and for sale. Throughout the state, grocery stores, (Bi-Lo, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, Even Wal-Mart, etc), stopped selling his products in their stores and he now sells them only online, at the stores/restaurants and under another name through his Brother's business in Charleston, SC. But his retail business has gone down more than 50%. I know a guy who was working for him in an executive position, but quit shortly after the flag incident.
    So, although it may be good B-B-Q, each time someone patronizes Maurice's they are only fueling this ignorant, biggoted, old fart, Redneck ways.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/25 19:51:06 (permalink)
    Is Millender's just off the Interstate? There is one just off the Interstate where we always eat whenever we make the trek to Columbia. Sorry, I can't remember the name, haven't been there in a loooong time.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/25 20:36:13 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Since I posted above, I've been told about Trenton BBQ in Trenton, S. C. - and also another place on U. S. 378 on the way from Sumter to Columbia (far closer to Sumter).
    Y'all making me HONGRY!
    Wanting To Pig Out, Ort. Carlton in All-Too-Tomato-Basedly Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I won't ever return to Maurice's either, and not primarily because of his neanderthal politics (which I abhor): his sauce is made out of sorry yellow mustard instead of the good brown stuff. He can fly as many Confederate flags as he wants; that won't make him any more a Southerner than I am, and I don't even own one.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/26 15:20:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

another place on U. S. 378 on the way from Sumter to Columbia (far closer to Sumter).[/br]

Mr. C, that would be Sikes. I have eaten there many times. While I don't consider it one of my favorites, it is fairly good. Go on a little way into Sumter and try Wards BBQ (corner of Alice and Wise dr.). Excellent tomato based bbq.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/26 15:47:27 (permalink)
    You just reminded me of the name of a great BBQ place between Laurens and Newberry. Wise's.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/27 09:28:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood

Is Millender's just off the Interstate? There is one just off the Interstate where we always eat whenever we make the trek to Columbia. Sorry, I can't remember the name, haven't been there in a loooong time.

Millender's is just off the I-26 at the US 378 Exit. Since they have re-routed the frontage road (Chris Drive) you have to turn toward Columbia, turn right onto the new Chris Drive, and immediately turn right again on the road that goes to the motel. Continue on that road around the curve and Millender's is on your left.

The new construction has left Millender's on a miserable dead end, and Mrs. Millender says she will close as soon as she can find a buyer. She is still open at present.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/27 10:47:38 (permalink)
    What is chicken bog and BBQ hash????
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/27 13:15:08 (permalink)
    Chicken Bog is a NE SC dish, mainly from the Peedee region. It originally consisted of a chicken (the older the better); some side meat, either smoked or salt; onion (if you had it); salt; lots of black pepper; rice; and water. You stewed the chicken (killed, plucked drawn and cut into pieces) with the side meat, onion, salt, and pepper over an open fire. When the chicken approached being done (tested with a pocket knife), you judged the amount of liquid so that there was roughly a 2:1 ratio of liquid to rice, and added the rice. It was then cooked until the rice was done. At least, this was the way it was made in Williamsburg County in the 1940's while tending the fires used in flue-curing tobacco, and it tastes much, much better than it sounds. I does tend to be somewhat greasy and sticky (hence the name "bog"). The modern version has all sorts of abberations such as smoked sausage, bell peppers, etc., which I don't care for. There is an annual "Bog Off" held in Loris, SC, I think in the Fall.

BBQ hash is made (correctly) from hogs' heads, feet, liver, and other organ meats, with various other additions, such as minced hard-boiled eggs. Each bbq joint has its own recipe, jealously guarded. Many places now simply use the bbqed pork and omit the more exotic ingredients, and some few just water down their sauce and mix it with the pulled meat. True bbq lovers spot this at once and cry anathemas against the guilty establishments. My own feeling is that the bbq and the hash stand as equals, and if I don't like the hash I will probably not care for the bbq.

BTW, Millenders makes a traditional hash.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/02/27 16:49:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alexander

quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood

Millender's is just off the I-26 at the US 378 Exit. Since they have re-routed the frontage road (Chris Drive) you have to turn toward Columbia, turn right onto the new Chris Drive, and immediately turn right again on the road that goes to the motel. Continue on that road around the curve and Millender's is on your left.

The new construction has left Millender's on a miserable dead end, and Mrs. Millender says she will close as soon as she can find a buyer. She is still open at present.

That's so sad. Thanks for the info. P.S. I could have done without knowing their hash was "traditional." LOL. " />
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: BBQ places in Columbia SC 2004/06/18 15:22:10 (permalink)
    Well, it appears that Mrs. Millender has given in; the restaurant is up for sale and was supposed to close sometime this month.

I think a lot of folks in Columbia are fed up with Maurice's politics. I take my out-of-towner commie lib friends in there just to look around to freak them out.

If you're ever in Charleston, check out his cousin Melvin's restaurant. He posts clippings from the newspaper in which he basically says that he doesn't share Maurice's beliefs and really only has a name in common. His marketing has even shifted to basically his first name. His sauce is terrific, and he makes my favorite slaw.

Last year a new place opened up downtown called the Palmetto Pig--it's on Devine St. one block off Huger. They have this great tangy sauce, really good chicken, and a well-stocked buffet for $7.50. My only quibble is that they charge for the banana pudding.

There's a wonderful takeout-only place in Lexington called Porky D's. They're only open Thursday through Saturday and they usually run out of ribs by about 8 pm every night, but they're great.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1