BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant?

Author
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
2005/02/15 21:41:09 (permalink)

BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant?

On Monday we went to a neighborhood Mexican restaurant for dinner. I had noticed that they offered a full rack of BBQ ribs, but I had always stuck with the traditional dishes - enchiladas, usually. Last night I decided to try the ribs, and they were quite good. The sauce was interesting in a good sort of way. The vegetable offerings were chorizo mashed potatoes, french fries, or grilled mixed vegetables - which I chose. That turned out to be zuchinni, summer squash, onion and mushrooms - very reminescent of fajitas, without the meat.

The meal was quite good, and today a foodie friend told me that good ribs in a Mexican restaurant wasn't that unusual. Mexican cuisine has always been heavily pork, so this is a natural extension of their capabilities. It was a first for me, and I eat in independent Mexican restaurants in the Atlanta area with some frequency. I grew up in New Mexico, and I certainly never came across them there. Ribs are certainly marketable in the southeast. Have others found Mexican restaurants serving BBQ ribs? Have I been blind?

13 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/15 22:16:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Milt

Have others found Mexican restaurants serving BBQ ribs?

Yes, only in BAD mexican restaurants. They do that here in Rhode Island along with combining Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese in one Restaurant. If they ever did that with Portuguese and Italian, the sky would fall!!
    Scott -- DFW
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/16 16:13:57 (permalink)
    Given a reasonably flexible definition of barbecue, I've had a fair amount of barbecue at Mexican restaurants. On a recent trip to the Lower Rio Grande Valley, for instance, I had barbecued fajita tacos (made with mesquite-smoked flank steak), cabrito al pastor (cooked on a spit over mesquite coals), and genuine barbacoa (cooked in an underground pit with mesquite coals).

For more details and photos on that trip, see http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=20.

Scott
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/16 20:33:17 (permalink)
    Mexicans eat lots of pork and I would assume they don't throw away the ribs (they don't throw away any edible parts of edible critters that I know of). So I'd further assume they do ribs though I haven't encountered those in places serving "Mexican" food this side of the border. But we all need to keep reminding ourselves that what Americans know as typical "Mexican" food is just street food in Mexico. It would be like opening an "American" restaurant somewhere and serving hot dogs and hamburgers and expecting people to think that was the extent of what people in the US eat.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/16 20:57:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

It would be like opening an "American" restaurant somewhere and serving hot dogs and hamburgers and expecting people to think that was the extent of what people in the US eat.

I hate to mention this but living in a household where we have had 2 different "au pairs" in the past three years and meeting many of their friends............that is exactly what a lot of Europeans and Mid Easterns think of American cusine. They were shocked to find that our family did not go to fast food restaurants and that we ate foods other than hamburgers and hot dogs. Of course, a lot of families that they came in touch were ate exactly what they thought Americans do eat all the time..............too bad.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/24 18:30:50 (permalink)
    Pappasito's has excellent babyback ribs. They come covered with sauce, but it's not necessary. They are great by themselves.
    Mr.Pig
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/27 09:51:26 (permalink)
    They also consume a lot of goat meat. That is why the meat goat industry has flourished in North Carolina. Everytime I order something with ground, seasoned meat I wonder.

On occasion, I had Mexican laborers on construction sites that worked with my electricians and when I made BBQ for my crew, the Mexican contingent did not recognize what it was and were hesitant to eat. They were quite pleased with it after eating. I wonder if BBQ is something that is learned after they have been in the USA for a while. The guys I had did not act as if it were a staple dish in their respective regions and they came from all over, some of strong Spanish heritage and others from strong native heritage.
    smokinsteve
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/27 15:36:18 (permalink)
    I can not wait to always return to Mexico where some of the best grilled food is available. Right outside our house, there is a family that grills half chickens right in the street and sells them to the local lunch crowd with beans and rice. Quite good and only $2 (US). Not sure what wood they use, I asked but did not comprehendo.

ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/27 17:08:46 (permalink)
    In Los Angeles many restaurants have costillas de puerco on the menu. They don't have the typical bubba que sauce on them but instead you will find either a green chile sauce or a red chile sauce.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/27 17:25:04 (permalink)
    "On occasion, I had Mexican laborers on construction sites that worked with my electricians and when I made BBQ for my crew, the Mexican contingent did not recognize what it was" I have worked and lived with a large contigent of mexicans as well while working for an underground utilities installer. We would spend weeks at a time on a job location and the company usually rented large houses instead of motel rooms. I learned to appreciate real mexican type food but was a little nonpulsed by the storage of fresh eggs in the cabinet instead of the refrigerator.(never asked what I was eating, just enjoyed) A lot of the food was cooked over coals but I'm not sure you could call it barbq. They did however enjoy american style barbq, seeing as how the big boss often threw Q parties.
    Scott -- DFW
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/28 12:29:14 (permalink)
    I imagine the Mexican workers on your construction crew would recognize barbacoa. Cow heads are wrapped with maguey leaves, banana leaves, burlap, or aluminum foil and buried in a pit with hot coals, where they're slow cooked.

This is cachete (i.e., cheek) barbacoa from Vera's Backyard Bar-B-Que, in Brownsville, Texas. Delicious stuff.
    http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=23

Scott
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/02/28 13:36:49 (permalink)
    Eating with the Mexicans I followed the same rule I use with the elderly Cherokee lady next door.. "don't ask, just enjoy" and definately dont watch the preperation!! I did learn how to make and use fresh taco' shells..
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/03/25 13:49:45 (permalink)
    I wonder how that tastes. Do they put a mexican style bbq sauce on them?
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: BBQ ribs in a Mexican restaurant? 2005/03/25 16:30:07 (permalink)
    I've had the ribs at Molina's in Houston and at La Margarita in San Antonio. Both times they were tasty, but rather dry and tended to be the bony ends rather than the good parts. I imagine Pappasito's would do a better job, but I'll stick to their fajitas.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1