The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ sauce on Briskit?

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 01/23/08 11:21 AM (permalink)
I see people put BBQ sauce on Briskit before tasting it, can't figure that out, it's like putting ketchup on a filet mignon. OK if the briskit is really dry, otherwise I don't get it. Do you sauce your briskit?

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 01/23/08 11:36 AM (permalink)
    This is a wonderful recipe...
    1/2 cup honey
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    seasoned salt to taste

1 (5 pound) beef brisket
    1 cup apple cider
    seasoned salt to taste

3/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    seasoned salt to taste
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Season the brisket all over with seasoned salt, and place in a roasting pan. Pour the apple juice over it, and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
    Roast the brisket for 3 hours in the preheated oven. Don't peek.
    Prepare a grill for low heat. In a small bowl, stir together the honey and soy sauce, and season with seasoned salt.
    When the roast comes out of the oven, place it on the preheated grill. Grill for 30 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the honey sauce.
    Meanwhile, in a saucepan over low heat, make a barbeque sauce by combining the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, seasoned salt, and garlic powder. Cook and stir over low heat for 15 minutes without allowing the sauce to boil. If you boil the sauce, it becomes very vinegary.
    Let the brisket rest for about 10 minutes after it comes off the grill. Slice and serve with the barbeque sauce.

Big_g

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 01/23/08 11:59 AM (permalink)
      I always server the sauce on the side.....let the meat speak for itself.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Thu, 01/24/08 3:10 PM (permalink)
        Sauce on the side but I almost always dip the meat in it. I like a smoky spicy sauce for brisket.

Mossman

• Total Posts: 40
          RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Mon, 01/28/08 11:44 AM (permalink)
          Tried that sauce last night....EXCELLENT!!!!!!!

thanks for sharing the recipe

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
            RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Mon, 01/28/08 11:55 AM (permalink)
            I always serve sauce on the side. I don't like the idea of sauce moistening the bark on the outside. In fact there's places here around Austing which will give you a funny look if you ask for sauce.

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
              RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Mon, 01/28/08 12:14 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Big_g

I always server the sauce on the side.....let the meat speak for itself.

I agree. But then plenty of people like to pile cole slaw on a bbq sandwich which to me kind of defeats the purpose of good cue.

Bluemaxx

• Total Posts: 465
                RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Mon, 01/28/08 3:00 PM (permalink)
                The first half of he brisket goes down all by itself. Then, and only if the sauce is very good will I dab a little of the remaining brisket in the sauce. Usually a good mix IMHO

motoeric

• Total Posts: 56
                  RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Mon, 01/28/08 7:02 PM (permalink)
                  I would never plop the sauce on without trying the meat first. I guess that once you decide it needs a sauce, the next question is what type of sauce do you use? I prefer a loose, Texan red sauce for brisket, but a vinegar sauce for pork.

Eric

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                    RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Mon, 02/18/08 2:03 PM (permalink)
                    Mix some of the juice from the brisket w/ whatever sauce you like. Serve it on the side.

Salw w/ pulled pork I like, but not w/ brisket.
                    Joe

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                      RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Tue, 02/19/08 12:52 PM (permalink)
                      Ann- How many would average size (non Roadfood) appetites you say your recipe serves after the brisket cooks down? - Rusty

PapaJoe8

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Tue, 02/19/08 1:16 PM (permalink)
                        I think I could eat that pre cooked 5 lb.. er by my self! Good question though Rusty.
                        Joe
                        Oh, after it's cooked!

wheregreggeats.com

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Tue, 02/19/08 3:05 PM (permalink)
                          For about 5 years, I got to be a judge at the Houston Rodeo BBQ and there the sauce had no place at all.

The meat was judged on it's own. Entirely.

I didn't think that was altogether fair in that in the ideal world great meat is combined with super sauce and the end is a symphony of BBQ.

In any event the judging was a great experience.

Sundancer7

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Tue, 02/19/08 5:09 PM (permalink)
                            I personally always order sauce on the side so I can judge the taste of the meat. Then I add the sauce to judge that.

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

ann peeples

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Tue, 02/19/08 6:58 PM (permalink)
                              Rusty-thanks for asking!! In my estimation and experience,this serves about 6-8 people.But we love brisket that way.I also serve cabbage on the side, potatos, rolls, etc.I also love leftovers, so I compensate for that.

frognot

• Total Posts: 54
                                RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 02/20/08 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                A really good BBQ sauce with some good brisket is like icing on a cake. It's a synergy thing.

Crappy sauce with a crappy brisket will still taste like crap.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 02/20/08 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                  For brisket, I like a warm tomato-y sauce ie. Goode Company or Sonny Bryan's.

I try to keep some Goode Co. sauce in stock here at home ... even if I don't rightfully smoke the meat, it brings out the nice flavor.

PapaJoe8

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 02/20/08 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                    Great one, I must give credit to Sonny Bryan's for the juice in the sauce thing I mentioned earlier.
                                    Joe

Rustywolf

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 02/20/08 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                      OK - Ann. It's on the menu for company this weekend! I usually do my oven brisket in non barbecued fashion (slow-cooked with lots of paprika, onions and mushrooms) but this sounded too good not to try. Too icy here in Michigan for grilling the final steps, though. So I'm going to use the broiler for that effect. I'll post a "post-mortum" for you. Sides will be roast potatoes and fresh string beans. Thanks again for sharing! - Rusty

ann peeples

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 02/20/08 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                        Rustywolf-hope you enjoy it!!Too icy here in Wisconsin for grilling as well.Finishing off in the broiler is perfect-look forward to your review of the recipe!!

PapaJoe8

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 02/20/08 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                          What time will it be ready Rusty?
                                          Joe

ann peeples

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Wed, 02/20/08 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                            I bet I will beat you there, PapaJoe!!

Rustywolf

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Thu, 02/21/08 3:06 PM (permalink)
                                              Papa - If I had to feed Roadfoodies, I'd need a brisket apiece! - Rusty

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Sat, 02/23/08 7:58 PM (permalink)
                                                a good brisket should not need sauce, that being said...

If a brisket is bland and dry, a good sauce can cover a multitude of sins.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Sun, 02/24/08 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                                  I agree,CK.But sometimes its fun to try different versions!

Rustywolf

RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Mon, 02/25/08 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                                    Ann - This was a SMASH HIT with family and guests. Thank you so much for the recipe and idea. We will make this over and again. It is truly "The Peeples Brisket." A few post-dinner notes follow:

1) I used apple cider rather than juice. Your recipe named both. I don't think it would have mattered. The meat came out tender and delicious. Also, your recipe cited "seasoned salt" but didn't specify. I used Lawry's to good effect.

2) I poked a few small fork holes in the aluminum foil, fearing a wet, sticky explosion in the oven. Cooking time was exactly three hours. I feel you could turn the heat down to 250 from the start and go longer and slower, though. I roasted the brisket with the fat cap on top.

3) Save all the juices in the pan! Lay the sliced brisket in it after you cut it up. They will soak this up in short order.

4) I increased the honey baste by about half as much. The brisket liked this very much. I used the broiler rather than an outdoor grill. This actually allows for better control to prevent burning. By using a whole brisket, I cut the fat cap off, trimmed it down, and found a smaller, good chunk of meat underneath.

5) The biggest hit? Your BBQ sauce! Just powerfully rich and smoky tasting. A snap to make, and I made it ahead of time and nuked it right before serving. It was Oh My God great.

6) I served 6 adults and had enough leftovers that I froze for another dinner for two down the road.

Again, great recipe, great results.

- Rusty

DandyDog

• Total Posts: 175
                                                      • Location: Lake Placid, FL
                                                      RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Mon, 02/25/08 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                                      well with such rave reviews on Ann's recipe, I must try it. Just wondering how this would go.....
                                                      1. Instead of season salt how about some Essence?
                                                      2. Adding some liquid smoke to the honey mixture
                                                      3. Chipotle powder to the bbq sauce
                                                      But first I must try Ann's the way she recommends. It sounds delish

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                        RE: BBQ sauce on Briskit? Tue, 02/26/08 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                                        I am thrilled that your brisket was a success,Rustywolf!I know we love it.And this type of recipe can be adjusted to your liking.So DandyDog,your additions would probably work well.Let us know!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com