Helpful ReplyBBQ spare ribs question

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 09:56:43 (permalink)
Grits N Gravy :I think we can agree Chili's doesn't serve the best ribs around, but they made a dang song about them..

Well I promise you no one that knows good Q........ eats ribs at Chili's and it isn't a song it's a jingle for radio and TV. And Chili's dropped their signature Rib Tips, more than a year ago.

Grits N Gravy "I havent had one BBQ expert run up to me to tell me to avoid Chili's because "the serve fake ribs""

Yes you did, you had several on this thread, and Here is a good indication of what people think of Chili's Ribs………….......................

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/420957

Grits N Gravy I'm gonna make some BAKED SPARE RIBS with BBQ sauce so good, Dr. Of BBQ is gonna want to go in business with me!!

A billy goat will show up at your place to eat (if you had a place to eat) before that will happen. But you did say something that interested me.

Grits N Gravy I have enough sense to know to go with a restaurants signature items, and realize if I go with something other than that, its a crap shoot.

So I’d have to ask if you were going to open a restaurant, why would you serve something that you call a crap shoot. Why not make sure you sold the best of the best and offered your customers nothing less?  There is more but I'm bored.
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/13 09:59:35
waydeg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 444
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 11:09:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Well, I'm gonna stick my foot in my mouth but....

If I want true Q - I go to a BBQ joint. e.g. - Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Tx, Arthur Bryant's in KC

I don't go to a family joint that tries to cater to several appetites and expect a premium specialty product.
My point is, offer a good product - like the ribs - but don't pan them of as BBQ. Set your customer's expectations. Don't disappoint. 

But what the heck do I know. I'm a third generation Texan and I prefer pork to beef (especially ribs). WTH

post edited by waydeg - 2010/02/13 11:25:17
WyldeChef
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 13:31:01 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

If your going to serve steaks, chicken, pork chops, seafood off a hickory fired grill. Just get some frozen cheap steaks, junk chicken, thin pork chops, fake seafood and cook it all from the frozen state. Since your going to do crappy half way ribs best if the rest of your menu follows suit. Just think you could open and close in less than a year. WOW what a concept.

Excuse the sarcasm.

Your answer is no. You can make ribs tender, you can make ribs the right texture, you can give ribs the appearance (color) everyone looks for but they will never be acceptable to real BBQ fans.

BBQ restaurants open and close as often as other type restaurants (steak, seafood,fast food)  but the people that really like good BBQ are more particular than any other food group, that I know of.

Real BBQ cooks and just BBQ fans share one thing in common, and that is they (both groups) think they know exactly what good BBQ taste like.  Why try and fool someone and hurt your reputation?

Jack

Made Ginger Ale run out of my nose when I read this.  Thanks Jack, I need a new keyboard now!

I have to agree with the good doctor on this point. If your not going to actually BBQ the ribs then don't serve BBQ ribs. Your menu should only contain items that you prepare better then your competition.

If you can not add to the game do not play, it will cost you more then you know otherwise.

Good luck

doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 17:12:00 (permalink)

Here is a Alto Sham that can smoke and roast.

http://www.alto-shaam.com....asp?productnumber=142

Unlike a traditional smoker, you can actually use it as a straight up oven. There are other models but I bet you can find a used one.

mark
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 00:37:02 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

Grits N Gravy :I think we can agree Chili's doesn't serve the best ribs around, but they made a dang song about them..

Well I promise you no one that knows good Q........ eats ribs at Chili's and it isn't a song it's a jingle for radio and TV. And Chili's dropped their signature Rib Tips, more than a year ago.

Grits N Gravy "I havent had one BBQ expert run up to me to tell me to avoid Chili's because "the serve fake ribs""

Yes you did, you had several on this thread, and Here is a good indication of what people think of Chili's Ribs………….......................

Grits N Gravy I'm gonna make some BAKED SPARE RIBS with BBQ sauce so good, Dr. Of BBQ is gonna want to go in business with me!!

A billy goat will show up at your place to eat (if you had a place to eat) before that will happen. But you did say something that interested me.

Grits N Gravy I have enough sense to know to go with a restaurants signature items, and realize if I go with something other than that, its a crap shoot.

So I’d have to ask if you were going to open a restaurant, why would you serve something that you call a crap shoot. Why not make sure you sold the best of the best and offered your customers nothing less?  There is more but I'm bored.

Dr of BBQ,
I really dont understand why you are being so nasty towards me, bro. I simply asked for some recipe ideas.  ( Nice personal insult with "If you had a place to eat" comment") . Why would you do that?

As to the part about me saying I would make my ribs so good you would want to go in business with me, I did that to try to show you respect , and lighten the thread. 

I found this website and liked it. I saw the pics of your Q and was blown away.

I stand by my opinion that 90% of the dining public do not share your refined taste in BBQ. I have spent my life in restaurants and have learned a lot. 
I stand ny my comment that your passion for what YOU do, has narrowed your persective ...and heck, I'm not even saying thats a bad thing.

I know my ribs wont be "crap", I was just using your words in my premise. 

I'm sorry to have "bored you".  I undrestand, Its  easy to look down on someone that doesnt agree with you 100% and judge them for it... what I dont comprehend is what you get from it, and what good comes from it.
 I hope I have disagreed without being disagreable. I like this Forum and only wish to learn, and when able, to help someone else with my knowledge and experience in this business.

post edited by Grits-N-Gravy - 2010/02/14 01:43:32
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 01:01:54 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

Grits-N-Gravy

From looking at some pics here, I know I'm in the right place.

I'm working on my menu and am  undecided on offering ribs. My concept is grill heavy (no pastas), and I would like to offer ribs. Doing steaks, chicken, pork chops, seafood off a hickory fired grill.

I have a couple of uses for BBQ sauce, so I'll already have that on hand.

What I wont have is a smoker.

My question is could I make some good spares using a oven or Sham?

Thanks in advance.

I think you will find a lot of customers that like your food.

Thank you, Ice cream man.  Steaks and grilled meats are the things I have the most experience in and knowledge of.
 My background is upscale steakhouses, and southern foods.
My goal is to try and mix high quality grilled steaks, Pork chops, and some seafood with southern style vegtables and and high quality desserts to cut out a niche down here in Florida.

I'll be cooking my meats on a hickory (with some oak) fired grill, mixing in some traditional southern entree's (chicken and dumplins, meatloaf, fried chicken, blackened shrimp/fish over cheese grits),and for veggies,doing garlic mashed potato, sauteed garlic spinach, sweet potato casserole, yellow squash casserole, potato salad, cheese grits souffle. etc)

As for appetizers,I'm foing to do Fried Green Tomato's, fried dill pickles, salmon croquettes, spinach and artichoke dip, baked bree, etc)..and y'all know Ive gotta do some Pimento cheese dip, and a pimento cheeseburger.

As to desserts, I plan to do seasonal cobbler, pecan pie, creme brulee.and am working on scratch doughnuts...along with f=baked to order chocolate chip cookies.

I thank y'all that have offered me advice and been cool. I'm wide open to ideas, as I know Ive got a lot  to learn. I know what I know, but also realize I'm a long way from knowing everything.

I think my concept is a fresh fit for here "down north", and hope to use this forum to help me get even better.

post edited by Grits-N-Gravy - 2010/02/14 01:25:24
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 01:52:02 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ,
I really dont understand why you are being so nasty towards me, bro.

I'm not being nasty towards you or anyone else it just makes no sense planing a restaurant if your not going to serve the best food you can produce.

I would strongly suggest you not try to BS your way past your customers and not serve something that you don't have the proper experience and equipment to produce.

Unlike other foods with BBQ fans you usually only get one shot. Once you have smelled the smoke you will never be the same.

As far as this comment:    Grits N Gravy I'm gonna make some BAKED SPARE RIBS with BBQ sauce so good, Dr. Of BBQ is gonna want to go in business with me!!

I'm sticking with the goat theory. LMAO
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/14 01:56:09
Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 02:19:42 (permalink)
Sounds good to me Grits I hate smoke.
I BBQ my ribs at home I don't smoke them.
I'm not fussy on sauce, just some good bread and butter.
One of my favourites is a big plate of cold day old BBQ ribs with lots of bread and butter.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 02:54:31 (permalink)
On the back burner
Liver n Onions. Not everybody in every family likes this. But you do a good Liver n onions with mashed taters they will come . Oh Mom, I hate Liver.  Others order whatever. My Favorites on the road are :
Meatloaf/Brown gravy       woolworth's had good meatloaf
Liver n Onions                    Pork, beef and/or chicken sauted in butter sauce
Hamburgers
Fried Chickin

OH and appitizers
Reg you mentioned but found in upstate Ohio, Kraut Balls. Unreal. OH transplants.
post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/02/14 02:58:27
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 09:18:48 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

One of my favourites is a big plate of cold day old BBQ ribs with lots of bread and butter.

why is that no suprise?
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 10:48:17 (permalink)
bill voss

Ice Cream Man

why is that no suprise?

BBQ is Southern everybody does their own.
You would not know Speckled ,Fordhooks, to baby limas or butterbeans
Field peas to Crowder peas, Purple hulls to zippers.  All with pot Likker over rice.

Three kinds of ribs. Baby backs, Spare ribs and Country style, the meaty one.
A good baked,braised, or smoked country style in my book is king. A quick glase and on the barbie or broiler, I am talking Rest. not home.
  Ribs done with our Homemade Honey Orange BBQ sauce.   No BBQ there.

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/02/14 10:52:58
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 10:54:58 (permalink)
right. That's why it was humorous to hear an opinionated Canadian weigh in on
smokeless BBQ.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 11:07:07 (permalink)
I know people that still refer to grilling as BBQ.
Canadians have their comfort food and me being a southerner running all over canada 6-9 mos a year,  got use to there comfort food, rib sticking good. Love their transportation laws.
never found a good bowl of chili.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 11:13:39 (permalink)
No salad here, a bowl of beans, thick slice of onion with Cornbread Muffins and butter comes first.
90% PLUS of rest. in my area.

Have a pot of Fordhooks on stove now.
post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/02/14 11:22:31
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 11:41:20 (permalink)
Well seeing that everyone else here is opinionated it must be just that I am a Canadian.
Doesn't matter lots of Canadians like smoke just not me and you can torcher me all you want but I still won't like smoke.
I still think Grits will find lots of Americans that will eat meat with out smoke. I don't know what makes you think we don't have 3 kinds of ribs in Canada or some of the best pork in the world.
As for chili you've got that right, you wouldn't like it because we don't think food has to burn your mouth on the way in and your ass on the way out to be good.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 11:48:53 (permalink)
" />
waydeg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 444
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 13:45:55 (permalink)
Just to set things straight - Grits - you don't need an enclosed smoker to do BBQ. And if you don't want smoke, don't do smoke, but I thought I read in your first post that you are grilling.  
"Doing steaks, chicken, pork chops, seafood off a hickory fired grill. " 
Maybe, I'm confused on what you're trying to accomplish.
This is the Salt Lick near Austin, Texas that has some of the best BBQ in the state. Not necessarily my top pick but way up on the list. It's an open pit, they use a mix of woods and it's good. If you can cook low and slow and flavor your product with some type of wood smoke - it's BBQ.  Grits - do it or don't do it. It's your call and your rep. Let your customers determine the fate of the plate. 

I have a Top Dog cart and could serve Oscar Mayer franks all day to Texans and sell them as Sabretts or Vienna Beef dogs. That will work out fine until someone from NY or Chi town calls my bluff. Texans? We wouldn't know any better unless we've had the real deal. You think I try to pass off Pace picante sauce as high end salsa? No way. It's "consumer grade". Customers are smart.

post edited by waydeg - 2010/02/14 13:52:16
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 14:14:05 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

Well seeing that everyone else here is opinionated it must be just that I am a Canadian.
Doesn't matter lots of Canadians like smoke just not me and you can torcher me all you want but I still won't like smoke.
I still think Grits will find lots of Americans that will eat meat with out smoke. I don't know what makes you think we don't have 3 kinds of ribs in Canada or some of the best pork in the world.
As for chili you've got that right, you wouldn't like it because we don't think food has to burn your mouth on the way in and your ass on the way out to be good.

Whow, not what I said, I like your opinions. Most Business owners are alpha. It is just the Darkside comes over here and causes things.
I followed your threads on the Darkside, like the thoughts. the ones on hamburger and french fries with Georgiadogs, they don't understand.
Want it their way.  
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 14:54:53 (permalink)
I guess what I am hearing is that ribs should never be cooked in an oven. Well I do it all the time. They taste great not only to me but to my friends and family. When I have guests over they always ask me to make ribs. Sometimes I smoke them and sometimes I cook them in the oven. While both taste totally different there are never any left at the end of the day. Saying that smoking certain pieces of meat is the only way to cook them is just silly. Calling oven cooked ribs BBQ is just as silly. I can teach a novice to cook ribs in an oven. There are many people that will never be able to BBQ ribs in a smoker. I would rather eat my oven cooked ribs than the ribs served at almost any chain in the country. Including City BBQ here in Ohio.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 14:59:47 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

I guess what I am hearing is that ribs should never be cooked in an oven. Well I do it all the time. They taste great not only to me but to my friends and family. When I have guests over they always ask me to make ribs. Sometimes I smoke them and sometimes I cook them in the oven. While both taste totally different there are never any left at the end of the day. Saying that smoking certain pieces of meat is the only way to cook them is just silly. Calling oven cooked ribs BBQ is just as silly. I can teach a novice to cook ribs in an oven. There are many people that will never be able to BBQ ribs in a smoker. I would rather eat my oven cooked ribs than the ribs served at almost any chain in the country. Including City BBQ here in Ohio.

Usually their brisket is fairly tasty and juicy.

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 15:03:20 (permalink)
oven baked ribs are great, they just aren't BBQ.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 18:44:20 (permalink)
Mine are BBQed, Just not smoked.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 21:00:27 (permalink)
by most accepted definitions, that makes no sense.
WyldeChef
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 21:46:42 (permalink)
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Wood + Fire + MEAT = BBQ.

There is a period on the end of that equation for a reason.

There is no Pot of Water in that equation.

There is no Oven in that equation.

Just Wood, Fire and Meat.

If you use propane or charcoal with no wood you are either baking or grilling.

If you use a pot of water you are simply making a mistake.

Guys with BBQ in their name are never going remain silent when someone pipes up with a FauxQue idea.. These guys (myself included) have spent a good period of their lives chasing the blue smoke and can easily take offense to someone MISLABELING their menu items.

I do not think that anyone here is trying to be offensive. There are just some really STRONG feelings when it comes to BBQ as an art form. Which is why the ancient preparation is still so very very popular.

Please remember we are all behind you 100% Even Doc's Goat.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 21:57:53 (permalink)
mmmm. BBQ'ed Goat.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 22:46:48 (permalink)
By Southern US standards you are right but believe it or not you are not on the planet by yourselves.
Look up the definition the rest of the world goes by.
I never even told you how I BBQ, I sure never said I boiled or baked anything.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 22:48:05 (permalink)
well, we're only talking about Roadfood, not the World.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 22:49:23 (permalink)
Wood + Fire + MEAT = BBQ.

There is a period on the end of that equation for a reason.

What did you forget the smoke before the period or you arguing in my favour.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 22:50:42 (permalink)
bill voss

well, we're only talking about Roadfood, not the World.

So tell me what roadfood is?

WyldeChef
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 23:12:42 (permalink)
If you burn wood with fire there is smoke.

Doesnt matter where in the world you are. Pitching pigs into pits in Hawaii or hanging fish over the fire in maine BBQ is BBQ. Wood+Fire+Meat

My posts were not at all directed at you Ice Cream man.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1