BBQ truck

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/09/30 11:16:29 (permalink)

BBQ truck

There was an article in the Santa Fe papers today about an Alabama guy who moved to NM and set up a BBQ truck off Las Vegas (NM) highway. He has now moved it to Pojaque (north of Santa Fe, near the Pojaque Indian reservation and right next to Kikkoman's a great liquor store - great place for BBQ)

The owner claims he imitates his 'Bama Q" but uses some NM chile on it, too, and likes the truck idea because he is close to the people, can chat with everyone (and, of course can move easily). He plays chess next to the truck and invites customers to play with him.

Do you have any great BBQ trucks near you? Where?

12 Replies Related Threads

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: BBQ truck 2008/09/30 11:37:51 (permalink)
    I ate at a BBQ truck that was part of a bar on Coney Island in Brooklyn. We had a brisket sandwich and wings. Beer Island and BBQ Truck. It is an outdoor beach bar right down the street from the Original Nathans on Stillwell Ave.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: BBQ truck 2008/09/30 11:47:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

There was an article in the Santa Fe papers today about an Alabama guy who moved to NM and set up a BBQ truck off Las Vegas (NM) highway. He has now moved it to Pojaque (north of Santa Fe, near the Pojaque Indian reservation and right next to Kikkoman's a great liquor store - great place for BBQ)

The owner claims he imitates his 'Bama Q" but uses some NM chile on it, too, and likes the truck idea because he is close to the people, can chat with everyone (and, of course can move easily). He plays chess next to the truck and invites customers to play with him.

Do you have any great BBQ trucks near you? Where?

No BBQ trucks in Dallas that I know of. However, it sounds like this guy in New Mexico has the right idea and, is living "the good life". I envy him, for sure.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: BBQ truck 2008/09/30 12:35:00 (permalink)
    While not a truck, Double B Barbecue is in a concessions trailer and the owner parks it at the intersection of state highways 5 and 178 in Midway, Arkansas. I have no idea how often he moves it, though, as I see it just once a year (lunch on the day after Thanksgiving).

The barbecue's not bad but my personal preference is for something a little smokier. He has a couple of propane tanks attached to the smoker; I've never asked but I suspect he might use propane for the heat and wood chunks for flavor.
    Brad
    post edited by Brad_Olson - 2009/01/21 09:40:50
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    RE: BBQ truck 2008/09/30 13:41:29 (permalink)
    Nothing here in Chicago in the way of trucks, but I can personally attest to the brilliance of Roadfood's very own Dr. of BBQ down in Springfield, Illinois. The Doc's bright yellow trailer is like a beacon to those who are starved for good 'Que.

This thread is a very happy coincidence as I will be stopping in on the good Doctor tomorrow as I pass through Springfield on my way to Kansas City and The American Royal Barbecue Cook-off, taking place this weekend.

In my mind I can taste his ribs even now as I sit 200 miles to the north. Wednesday can't come soon enough...

Buddy
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: BBQ truck 2008/09/30 14:07:27 (permalink)
    Daisy May's pushcart on 50th St. between Sixth and Seventh Aves. in NYC. Don't know if it is "great", but it is BBQ on the street.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: BBQ truck 2008/09/30 15:34:35 (permalink)
    Elias' Meat Market in Highland NY parks his BBQ turck at the Gardiner, NY Sky Park every weekend. He serves up a pretty good sandwich of Texas style brisket and a pulled pork with sauce, and I think he also has hotdoga and hamburgers to a clientele of sky-divers. I think the truck is mainly used for catering at parties and is versitile enough to offer a pretty wide range of product. He also stocks some ground meat and steaks for customers to take home and cook.I cant speak for how successful it has been - for a while he had it out every day in a lot along Rt 299, but that didn't last long .

Cheers, John

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: BBQ truck 2009/01/21 09:44:02 (permalink)
    I made my annual visit to Double B last November:

I'm not a potato salad eater and I don't care for the pickles, but his beans are good.  I don't know if they're made from scratch or canned beans that've been upgraded, but the pieces of meat and onion are a definite plus.

Brad
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2982
    RE: BBQ truck 2009/01/21 10:35:31 (permalink)
    We had Crazy Jake's in Palmerton PA, which is actually about 75 miles away from me. He has since opened a joint. I think he uses the truck for events still. He makes a pretty decent BBQ.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: BBQ truck 2009/01/21 11:02:03 (permalink)
    It's basically illegal here.  No fixed vehicular food service in the public right-of-way.  They have to move along, so no cooking goes on.  We do have what are known here as "roach coaches," but they just serve commissary-prepared and packaged foods, pretty much.  They drive around stopping at work sites, etc.

I'm jealous of the truck-food that I see here.
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/01/21 11:03:06
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2011
    RE: BBQ truck 2009/01/21 12:40:03 (permalink)
    The brother of one time baseball great, Ron Darling, ran a BBQ trailer at local events around Massachusetts, but I have not seen him in a few years. I miss him. His was the best, with the possible exception of the pulled pork sold at The Back Eddy restaurant in Westport , Mass. We have 2 hot dog trailers in my town, and the famous Moe's hot dog truck in nearby Worcester, but I don't know of any local BBQ trucks/trailers. Worcester recently came down hard on mobile food, making it very difficult to be in that biz within city limits. They call it a public safty issue, but lots of folks see it as simple anti competition.  
    post edited by tmiles - 2009/01/21 12:41:16
    packerwmn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: BBQ truck 2009/02/04 12:45:45 (permalink)
    When I was in Durango, CO around 2002, we noticed a truck with smoke coming out and a menu propped up outside.  Now this was something I'd never seen, but he had brisket listed so I had to stop (can't get good smoked Brisket here in WI - unless someone knows something I don't).  It was unbelievably good.  We went back the next day to try his tacos, that included the brisket and fried potatoes on soft tortillas which was equally delicious.  We stopped once more before we headed home to grab one more meal.  Haven't been back since, so I'm not sure if he's still there - but I still dream of that meat!!!
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: BBQ truck 2009/02/04 15:46:33 (permalink)
    theres a truck that parks in a lot on 122 in middletown ohio.  its only open a few hours a day until he sells out.  theres a big tow behind smoker tht does the meats.  i never tried it, but everyone said it is great.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1