BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/04/18 18:58:23 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
My pick for a "last meal" would be The Bar-BQ Pit ("Farley's" )at 604 S. Main Street in Ashland City, Tennessee. It doesn't get any better than that. I would trust anything that came out of their kitchen, purely and simply: the worn card I picked up last time there is still in my wallet, 17+ years later.
Bumper, thank you for mentioning Bar-H in Franklin Springs, Georgia. (I would have after making a return trip: I like to try a place twice before I decide.) There's also a good one in Hartwell, Georgia... Backstreet Bar-B-Que. It's right on U. S. 29 going south through downtown. Its only drawback is that (like many such places in that area: Baty's, Cross Roads, Charlie's, and Vanna Country) it's only open Thursday through Saturday.
I could go for a good pork plate right now, come to think of it.
Painfully Oinklessly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/04/18 19:09:26 (permalink)
Ort: Please tell us about the BBQ joint in Ashland City TN. Being a Tennessean, I am always anxious to hear of a Tennessee place. Obviously and regardless of what many Texans think, Tennessee BBQ is the best

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/09 00:43:06 (permalink)
I'm glad to hear that someone else doesn't like Rendevous. I'd heard all my life that they were the Mecca of ribs, and maybe they used to be. I've eaten there twice; the first time maybe 6 or 7 years ago, and the second time maybe 4 years ago. I thought maybe something was wrong with ME, because they were a great disappointment.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/09 01:04:15 (permalink)
Paul (and All Y'all),
Michael, assuming you read all these, you speak up about Farley's. Dadgum it, it's about time y'all added that place to your listings herein! If I could drive up there, I'd do it for you, but until I get my eye fixed, that's suicide. And I'd rather eat than die anyway.
What DOES Mr. Farley put in that wonderful barbecue sauce, anyway?!? It's utterly a-mazing....
Bar-BQ-Pit-Eously Absent (From Ashland City), Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Until Michael puts in his zloty's worth, the place is right on the main drag south of downtown. The barbecue is superb, but so are all the vegetables (the broccoli casdserole is plumb to die for!) - and you gotta leave room for at least one slice of pie, because you'll look a long time before you find better. I oof at the memories of eating there... my mind's belt has to be let out a notch just at the thought.
Stewey444
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/09 11:14:42 (permalink)
Just a suggestion for some good BBQ up north - it may not compare to true southern BBQ, but the Red Pig in Ottawa, Ohio has excellent BBQ ribs and chicken. It keeps winning awards in Ohio, and is a great place to stop and eat if you are in northwest Ohio!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/09 11:51:13 (permalink)
Passing through Knoxville Tennesssee a few years ago we had great ribs and pulled pork in a large restaurant right down on the Tennessee River. We were surprised at the great quality because this was no "BBQ Joint" - it was a very nice comfortable tastefully decorated upscale restaurant. Sorry, but I can't remember the name except that it might have sounded kind if Irish. Can anyone out there remind me of where I was ...?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/09 12:00:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Passing through Knoxville Tennesssee a few years ago we had great ribs and pulled pork in a large restaurant right down on the Tennessee River. We were surprised at the great quality because this was no "BBQ Joint" - it was a very nice comfortable tastefully decorated upscale restaurant. Sorry, but I can't remember the name except that it might have sounded kind if Irish. Can anyone out there remind me of where I was ...?

Calhoun's won the national prize several years ago for the best ribs in the USA which was held in Cleveland Ohio. They now have several locations and try to locate them on the river. Their food is very good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
bumper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/09 19:06:37 (permalink)
John yes Paul is correct Calhoun's is the place many good items on the menu. If you are in Knoxvegas again try Scrugg's BBQ on Magnolia Ave good place but not fancy at all. Buddy's is all over the area but I do not care for their Q .

Bumper - Heading to N'Orleans 5-11
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/09 20:54:55 (permalink)
Believe it or not -- we have in Washington DC (in Chinatown of all places!) authentic pit wood smoked Texas brisket. The place is called Capital Q and it is good (even the Pres's staff eats there). Have had it and can attest to it being savory and not at all dried out.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/09 22:14:00 (permalink)
Thanks for the name- Calhouns- I'll put it in my journal so I wont forget it again - a great memory...
mesolo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/10 01:58:13 (permalink)
Re: The Rendevous

Just came back last week from Memphis and agree wholeheartedly with STOGIE that Rendevous ribs are not all they're cracked up to be and the SERVICE IS LOUSY! I had to go up to the bar after 5 min. to get something to drink because the waiter was doing God knows what.

There isn't any service their and the management has a 'could care less' attitude. On top of that, the restaurant was extremely dirty. It was the type of place if they dropped something they'd just pick it up and put it back on your plate.

I would never go back, that's how lousy it was.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/21 15:43:50 (permalink)
Folks,
We have discussed cooker and smokers, and BBQ 'machines'on a number of these threads. I think that for some of us the small backyard cooker/pit/smoker is the one tool we are most familiar with...So when we get a chance to see a bigger operation, we compare it to ours and stand in awe of the Pitmaster who tends the large production units.
Once a year here in Louisville, Churchill Downs hosts the "Taste of Louisville" program. It is a day at the track, but adds a huge group of vendors from all over the midwest who gather on the infield of the racecourse to sell or give away samples and larger plates of various regional specialties.. I was introduced to Burgoo and Derby Pie at one of these sessions.
Kraft brings the Cooking unit in the photo here. It is my idea of the ultimate BBQ Cooker. There is a crew of 4 or 5 depending on the job. They travel around the country doing events, fairs, and other special shows. I saw them at the Superbowl in San Diego a few years back, doing a tailgate party. It is only one of a dozen or more BBQ vendors present on this fun-filled day. They told me they did several thousand Pork Chop Sandwiches that day at the Downs. I think this would be the ultimate retirement job for me !!

BTW That is Janet and I at the front of our dream-vehicle !!!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/21 20:52:14 (permalink)
Mr Mayor: You and your lovely wife make a great couple, but, let's face it; what really caught my eye was the Peterbuilt and that monster it was towing...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/21 22:31:46 (permalink)
John,
That's not a Monster...That's a typical Kentucky Pig Roaster!!!
You are correct it is a huge rig, They have 4 or 5 guys running it when it is setup. They use a separate tank truck for the Propane and charcoal (uses both, depending on the menu). All those lids on the cooking sections are powered, as are the grill/grates inside. It was amazing to watch these guys in action!!
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/22 10:13:40 (permalink)
Hi all, have been a fan of this site for months and decided to join in the discussion.

I was in Llano last weekend, where my family has been visiting for years. Mr. Coopers has always been a must when we are there. However, since all of the attention that has been drawn to the place by the President, it just doesn't seem the same.

The lines are LONG, and it is HOT outside. I had the pork chop (sauce please) and it was delicious as usual, but the price was $14.00 for the chop alone.

I also bought some beef jerky, a must for road trips, and Coopers is great. I also bought some jalepeno and cheese summer sausage and it was excellent as well.

A recent article on "Pit Stops" in the Texas Monthly magazine recommended skipping the Mr. Cooopers in Llano, and going to the one in Mason. You can also order some things from Mr. Coopers on line.

For my last meal: City Market in Luling, no question! Ribs, sausage, and brisket, beans and potato salad with a slice of onion and some pickles and washed down in Texas tradition with a Big Red.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/22 13:10:01 (permalink)
Regarding Farley's in Ashland City, TN: The address Ort. gave is now occupied by a restaurant operating as "Sue's Kitchen". May still have great 'cue, but it's apparently no longer the "BBQ Pit". How long since you were there last Ort.?
glenda Palmer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/22 14:35:51 (permalink)
You are right. Corky's on Poplar and Poplar only is probably the best barbeque ever. The person that talks about Gridleys in 80's being so wonderful is also right. It was the best and over the years it has declined. I haven't eaten at Rendezvous in years but everything has its day.
quote:
Originally posted by Stogie

Like rumbelly, I too compete around the country in cook-offs. We have taken 2nd and 3rd Place in Ribs at the big Memphis event, so whenever asked about the "best" BBQ places, the stock answer is....in my backyard! LOL

Anyway, I can't believe folks still enjoy the Rendevous. Possibly...no scratch that.....THE WORST ribs I have had for a "famous" place. The first time I gave them the benefit of the doubt. The second time confirmed it...terrible ribs and atrocious service. I will never ever return. The problem is, they don't slow cook them, they grill over direct heat for an hour. This does not give the ribs time to render the fat and tenderize. They were so tough, BOTH times, you run the risk of yanking your teeth out!

I am also surprised no one has mentioned the Germantown Commissary or Corky's. These are the 2 best in town. I prefer Corky's dry to their wet ones. Others of note..Interstate BBQ, Cozy Corner, Leonard's Pit BBQ and finally Willinghams's. I actually learned at the knee of John and have been forever grateful, though it has been several years since I ate at his joint.

Stogie
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/22 18:39:51 (permalink)
Pogophiles (and all y'all),
It's been over 10 years. Things change, don't they? Of course, Mr. and Mrs. Farley may well have relocated to a larger place. Did you check the phone book? And how was Sue's Kitchen? You had ought to have stopped; it might be as much a culinary treasure as was Farley's - although imagining two places that good in a town of that size is rather improbable.
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
topferment
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/22 23:40:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Saw a thing on Food Festivals about a Goat BBQ Festival in South Texas.... Is that an annual event? Are there pits that regularly serve goat, the way a bunch of them here in the Ohio Valley serve Mutton?

Mayor, My wife's family is from Monterrey, Mexico(150 miles south of Laredo,TX) and young goat(cabrito) is a local specialty. It's traditionally split down the breast and spit roasted over an open fire and it is delicious. You can find it along the Tex/Mex border up to San Antonio and some other major metro areas if they have a large group of immigrants from northern Mexico.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/23 10:51:57 (permalink)
Ort,
I'm working on it, haven't gotten over there yet. I need to check up on the state of catfish in Ashland City anyway. I'll report back after some further investigation...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/23 11:13:20 (permalink)
Pogo,
We ate catfish at the Riverview in Ashland City about a month-6 weeks ago. All was good, but the Bigger filets seemed a bit mushy. The smaller fingers were great. The view over the river is outstanding!!

Topfer-
I have some Guatamalan friends that used to do the same thing for Easter and other Major 'Feast' Days. Never got the chance to sample it.
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/23 14:41:30 (permalink)
Based on numerous posts I want to visit Van's Pigstand in Shawnee, OK on a future trip to Oklahoma City. Although, based on the name, it seems that the pork and ribs would be the specialties, can anybody comment on the best menu items to try?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/23 17:53:15 (permalink)
Howard,
Pork and Ribs say it all, hehehe The side dishes are good. We had Beans, Slaw and Potato Salad. BUT the Meat is what we focus on.
P S- They do have good brisket also !
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/23 18:10:52 (permalink)
Last time I had goat was in Zanzibar ( little bits of goat meat on wood skewers and lots of spice) about 50 years ago. and I loved it.
Does anyone know where I might find a restaurant or joint or picnic with goat around my stamping grounds- the Hudson Valley of the EMPIRE State ? I see goats around the area but who eats them?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/23 18:19:57 (permalink)
My neighbor had a Memorial Day cookout for the neighborhood last year and he did the goat thing. I guess he did it wrong, but I was turned off. It was stringy and tasteless. He cooked it over oak trees he had cut down.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/23 20:31:21 (permalink)
I currently live in LA, where there appears to be no barbecue. (They do cook beef, of all things, over charcoal and call it barbecue.) If I had to take one last meal of barbecue (dreadful thought!) it would be at Nina's, in Union City, Tennessee. Jim Pierce retired and opened a place, then his wife Nina quit her job to help him out. The pulled sandwiches are wonderful, a mix of light and crusty pork, but the ribs are out of this world. Naturally, it's served West Tennessee style with cole slaw and sauce, and home-baked beans are optional. The place is in what was once a gas station, so there's plenty of parking. The section of town isn't the greatest, but Nina's is worth going there!

Second choice would be Little Porky's in Covington, right on US 51. The barbecue is great (almost as good as Nina's), which is a good thing: you don't go there for atmosphere! Sanitation a little iffy, air conditioning overworked, service so-so; but notwithstanding all that, every time I used to go through Covington, I stopped.

Bozo's in Mason had a wonderful reputation, but the maybe three times I went there I found it completely ordinary. I gave up.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/05/23 21:05:24 (permalink)
Rick
Next time you are out in the Fontana-San Berdoo area...Try Dan, The BBQ Man's stand (an old Foster freeze Stand) on Valley Blvd. at the Cedar Ave Intersection in Bloomington. Real Cookers on the sidewalk, Dumpy facility..Pork...Things are the way they should be...
paul and louise
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/19 17:39:21 (permalink)
arthur bryant's bbq
what an experience
they do beef good
i just got out there last week for the first time and i hope not the last........
i can't say if it is off from what it used to be, i can only say if it was any better before i don't know how anyboby was able to handle it
the wife is from kc and has never been a fan, but she took me and watched me eat-she said it seemed the same old place she knew...
i had the burnt end sammich with fries and loved it
and there was a lot to love, too
the sauce was unlike anything i ever experienced
[i bet st. peter did ask if he brought the sauce]
the armed security guard outside was a first for me also
i wonded how many folks have been to a restaurant with an armed
security guard-that might make a good trivia question
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/19 19:03:35 (permalink)
Paul,
Thanks for the feedback...on a couple of other posts we had heard the A.Bryant's was sliding downhill. They may be, but it is nice to know that they are still good enough to get rave reviews also. The guard has been there for several years...since the place was 'discovered' by the Yuppie crowd and the parking lot started hold those Mercedes and BMW's.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/19 19:29:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Rick
Next time you are out in the Fontana-San Berdoo area...Try Dan, The BBQ Man's stand (an old Foster freeze Stand) on Valley Blvd. at the Cedar Ave Intersection in Bloomington. Real Cookers on the sidewalk, Dumpy facility..Pork...Things are the way they should be...

Mr. Mayor: Is this location close to where we race at Pomona and where we stay at Ontario?

thanks

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1