BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/19 20:01:03 (permalink)
Paul
Dan's BBQ is east of your Ontario Motel, about 8-9 miles. Valley Blvd runs right beside the 10 freeway on the north side. Follow the 10 east to Cedar Ave exit in Fontana. Take a left at the top of the ramp, and an immediate left onto Valley after you cross over the freeway. Dan's is an old Ice Cream stand (Foster Freez, I think) His cookers are usually out on the sidewalk in front of the place, and a couple of picnic tables for you if you don't want to 'take-out'. Prices are normal, but I get the sauce on the side to dip stuff in rather than have it bury the meat.
Let us know how it turns out if you go.
BTW- This weekend will be our first full-sized cooking effort of the season. Two 8 lb Pork Butts and one Turkey Breast (about 8 lbs. also) will go into/onto the smoker/cooker. I have some seasoned hickory chunks from a down tree (last fall) and plenty of charcoal. The rubs will go on Friday night, and the meat into the smoker Saturday Morning. 8-10 hours will do these just fine, with the turkey being done a bit before the pork. Report on success (or lack of it) will follow.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/19 20:11:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Paul
Dan's BBQ is east of your Ontario Motel, about 8-9 miles. Valley Blvd runs right beside the 10 freeway on the north side. Follow the 10 east to Cedar Ave exit in Fontana. Take a left at the top of the ramp, and an immediate left onto Valley after you cross over the freeway. Dan's is an old Ice Cream stand (Foster Freez, I think) His cookers are usually out on the sidewalk in front of the place, and a couple of picnic tables for you if you don't want to 'take-out'. Prices are normal, but I get the sauce on the side to dip stuff in rather than have it bury the meat.
Let us know how it turns out if you go.

I will not be there until the November race with NHRA. I will definately go there as I assume it is close to the Ontario Mills, which we always visit due to Krispy Kreme being on the premise.

In addition we will also have breakfast at the restaurant directly adjacent to the now defunct winery close to the Ontario Airport. It was a super breakfast. I understand that you know it well.

Thanks for the tip

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/19 20:29:55 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor: Any chance you would invite my entire family to your BBQ feast Just kidding, but I know anything you do will be the best in America

The type of event you are doing in my opinion is the best family thing you can do. I appreciate your efforts.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/21 19:48:37 (permalink)
Paul and other chowhounds,
We did the Turkey breast over night, then soaked some brats in beer and stuck them in (for 2 hours) with the Pork Butts this morning. Here they are at about the half-way point. The two Butts were in the smoker for 7 hours, got to 170 degrees inside so we pulled them out. The machine settled in at 225 degrees for the day with only the addition of some Hickory chunks (soaked) to the charcoal now and then.

To tie us into the Apple Thread on the board, here you can see how my little orchard can be observed from the cooking area. Those are the strawberry beds in the foreground, behind the cooker. The orchard extends to the left up the hill. That's my closest neighbor out yonder, so we have room to play in the dirt a bit. What a great day for a BBQ!!

yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/21 19:56:58 (permalink)
Nice place you got there, Mr. Mayor. I sure wish the weather would warm up over here in Seattle.

-Yumbo
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/21 20:03:35 (permalink)
LA, not L.A. Haven't been in the latter since 1965.
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Rick
Next time you are out in the Fontana-San Berdoo area...Try Dan, The BBQ Man's stand (an old Foster freeze Stand) on Valley Blvd. at the Cedar Ave Intersection in Bloomington. Real Cookers on the sidewalk, Dumpy facility..Pork...Things are the way they should be...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/21 21:04:05 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor, in just a few more years, you will not be able to see you neighbor and Bambi will have privacy to consume all those great apples and pears.

Sure did appreciate the smoke coming out of your combo. What type is it.

You have a nice country place and it sure does look private.

The BBQ looked great. How does pork shoulder do on it?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/21 22:23:48 (permalink)
Paul,
The fruit trees are all semi-dwarf, so 12-16 ft is about the ceiling for them. I prefer to keep them pruned into a spread-open but lower top shape. I don't like ladder-work.
The Pork Butt does just fine. I get them before the local market cuts them into 3-4 lb chunks...The two in the foto are each 7-9 lb. Give them 7 hours (or more) at 225 degrees in the smoker, using charcoal with 2 or 3 hickory chunks that have soaked in a water bucket for an hour or so. I add fuel as needed...in todays example I added about 20 briquets 4 hours into the exercise...and used about 12 chunks of hickory (fist-size) over the course of the day.
The cooker is a Brinkman, not the best for sure, but it sure works for me $140.00 at WalMart
Tater
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/06/23 17:20:24 (permalink)
Best ribs I've had in my 15 bbq eating years are at Strawberry's in Holcomb, Missouri. It's 2 hours from everywhere, but the drive is worth it. They also serve a mean pork "steak". You have to see it to understand. I've had 5 slabs of ribs (and 2 or 3 steaks) in the past 6 months and it maintains the quality like nowhere else. Each time I eat their 'que, it's better than I remembered.

I have to defend the Rendezvous. It can be inconsistent (2 bad slabs), but I've eaten there 30 or so times and have never had bad service. I avoid the peak hours though. One more thing...Cozy Corner's ribs are probably the best in Memphis depending on the last place I've eaten. Corky's or Germantown Commissary don't even compare in my opinion.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/07/28 12:16:36 (permalink)
One of the best BBQs I can remember is the Iron Works in Austin, Texas. Can anyone tell me if it is still around and any good?

Cheers,
Phil.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2003/07/28 12:34:53 (permalink)
My BBQ last meal would be at The Salt Lick right outside of Austin.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4587
RE: BBQ-American Culinary Blockbuster! 2005/05/08 09:16:31 (permalink)
mr. mayor, maybe you can give us a picture update on how big those trees are now.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1