BBQing other than the usual

Author
ahmicchick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
2004/04/22 15:50:34 (permalink)

BBQing other than the usual

Hi Folks,

I posted this question in another forum a couple of days ago, but haven't had a response, so maybe this will be a better place to try.

I'm interested in trying a few different things on my smoker. Can anyone advise me on smoking hot peppers? Any other vegetables? Fish? I'm interested in anything aside from the traditional meats. Also, any recommendations on cookbooks?a

Thanks!

11 Replies Related Threads

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/22 17:12:45 (permalink)
    I know nothing about barbecue as a verb.

BUT as a noun, I am an addict.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/22 17:19:40 (permalink)
    Most fish is usually brined before smoking, but is certainly one of the major smokeable foods. I say try anything you can and report back. I enjoy and use Paul Kirk's cookbooks.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/23 11:37:32 (permalink)
    I agree with Hillbilly-in this part of the country=Barbecue is a noun.
    If you cook outside, you are grilling-or having a cook out-not a barbecue
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

I know nothing about barbecue as a verb.

BUT as a noun, I am an addict.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7307
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/23 16:58:04 (permalink)
    Smoke some jalapenos and put them in a nice tomato sauce with lots of onions.......you just made chipotles!
    Here's a good smoked salmon (or any other fish) recipe from a True Alaskan:

Mike's Fishin Magician Recipe

Lay out fish skin side down. Pour some white wine over fillets and rub in. Sprinkle lightly with rock salt, sprinkle on brown sugar. Place second layer of fillets and repeat. Refrigerate for no longer than 12 hours. Rinse off under cold water, sprinkle with Johnny's (or Lawry's) seasoning and cracked black pepper. Place on drying racks for 5 hours. (We put ours in front of a floor fan). Smoke for 5-8 hours.

Smoked then grilled artichokes (whole) are also excellent!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/23 17:08:55 (permalink)
    I think Johnny's is our secret NW ingredient. But I thank a higher being everyday as I'm lookin at our artichokes grow to fruition. I am happy to live in the land of palms and pines.I'm taking your suggestion to heart, and as soon as they're ready,(about a month) I'm SMOKIN' 'em. Thanks for that suggestion, Ileechef!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/23 19:48:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ahmicchick

Hi Folks,

I posted this question in another forum a couple of days ago, but haven't had a response, so maybe this will be a better place to try.

I'm interested in trying a few different things on my smoker. Can anyone advise me on smoking hot peppers? Any other vegetables? Fish? I'm interested in anything aside from the traditional meats. Also, any recommendations on cookbooks?a

Thanks!

ahmicchick,
    It seems to me that barbecuing fish would be entirely possible - witness the smoked mullet places in Florida! It seems to me that using a pit and/or cooking over wood could make almost any meat taste better - even something like cheaper fish.
    For starters on a marinade, you might want to use Lea & Perrins' White Wine Worcestershire Sauce, if you can still find it. It's great for smoked chicken, so it stands to reason that it would be usable for fish as well.
    Let us know what you end up with. I'm epi-curious.
    Almost Always Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in The Ever-Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7307
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/23 21:49:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

I think Johnny's is our secret NW ingredient. But I thank a higher being everyday as I'm lookin at our artichokes grow to fruition. I am happy to live in the land of palms and pines.I'm taking your suggestion to heart, and as soon as they're ready,(about a month) I'm SMOKIN' 'em. Thanks for that suggestion, Ileechef!

Yes, Johnny's is a special blend! Depending on the size of the artichokes (we used large globe ones from CA) they will take about 2 pans of wood chips. You must par-boil them first (as in nearly cook all the way). Then smoke. Then grill. I know, it sounds like a whole lotta work for a darned artichoke but the end result is definately worth it!!! Serve with garlic aioli for dipping!!
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/23 22:36:58 (permalink)
    Many thanks, folks. Artichokes? Sounds delicious, I never would have thought of that. And I REALLY want to try fish, I think I've actually got some of the white wine Lea and Perrins. Somebody somewhere posted something about grilled fruit, which I think would be great, and maybe it's crazy, but I'm thinkin' that smoking certain fruits and vegetables is a reasonable experiment (yeah, that's right, put that in your pipe!). Now, if I can just find some time...
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/04/24 00:30:21 (permalink)
    We've tried smoking and grilling practically any vegetables you can think of, and a couple of kinds of fruit. Since moving from Texas we don't have the oil drum smoker anymore (sniff..), but do use a kind of smoker that works pretty well that is a small vertical version. Vegies that we like are: onions and field onions, corn on the cob (leave a few shucks on and soak in water a little), broccoli, cauliflower, spuds of all kinds (sometimes we nuke 'em a little first), acorn squash (cut in half, take out seeds and cook cut side down), zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant. The hardest to do right is asparagus. In season, start with larger spears and slice lengthwise, baste with a little olive oil. We make a sort of tent out of foil and cover the spears and pour beer into the coals, which creates steam. Pain in the a** but they do come out great. Favorite fruit is sliced fresh pineapple. We use a fish rack on both the smoker and the Weber for veggies (we use hickory, apple and mesquite charcoal and/or chips...no gas, ever!) Going to try artichokes this weekend!
    db
    barrylann
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/05/07 17:56:45 (permalink)
    I've been successful with smoked catfish rubbed with blackening seasoning. very flakey and mosit. put in a foil pan with olive oil and lemon juice sprinkled over it after it has been rubbed. the smoker stayed a fairly constant 350-360, used maple and hickory. would not recomend using apple or pecan with fish, mesquite and hickory seem to work best for me.

when smoking wild game, consider what they've been eating on the ground. you might be better off buying domestically grain-fed venison, rabbit, etc....also, wild game will dry out FAST during smoking due to a lack of body fat. I've wrapped rabbits in bacon after they were rubbed with sage, roasted garlic, and juniper berries. venison will need to be WELL basted during the process. I use lard. I know its nasty but the taste of the finished product is dyn-o-mite.

for kicks & giggles...try smoking a low-moisture cheese over lower heat. I've had good results with cheddar, and it looks real cool with grill & smoke marks on the block when you serve it at parties.
    barrylann
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: BBQing other than the usual 2004/05/07 18:35:52 (permalink)
    had a thought.....try smoking bread dough instead of baking it! like make a pizza and cook it in a smoker!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1