BEST Bagels on Long Island???

Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3742
2006/05/06 21:00:41 (permalink)

BEST Bagels on Long Island???

I am looking for the single best bagel on Long Island. My boss has entrusted me with bringing her back the definitive NY bagel. Well, if I try to get H&H, I don't think I will be able to catch my flight in time. So, since I will be coming from Long Island, maybe the best thing to do is find some reasonable facsimile that will suffice her pretty knowing pallette.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Steve

22 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/06 22:06:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

I am looking for the single best bagel on Long Island. My boss has entrusted me with bringing her back the definitive NY bagel. Well, if I try to get H&H, I don't think I will be able to catch my flight in time. So, since I will be coming from Long Island, maybe the best thing to do is find some reasonable facsimile that will suffice her pretty knowing pallette.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Steve

Not sure where you are on Long Island Steve, but one of my favorites in Suffolk is Higbie Bagel on Higbie Lane in West Islip. I have served them to company and now have to bring them whenever I go visiting. I am not saying they are the best ever, but if you are near this area, they will serve as an excellent example of a "NY bagel".

Good Luck in your quest, and hope that if you bring back some duds, you don't get demoted!
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/06 23:02:41 (permalink)
    Bagel Boss in Hicksville. There are other BBs, but I think they get their's from the original Hicksville branch. Best I've ever had, by far.

http://www.everyonelovesbagels.com/
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/09 12:43:38 (permalink)
    There used to be a great bagel shop in the Peninsula Shopping center on Peninsula Blvd (duhhhh) in Hewlett...same plaza as Woodro's ...a very good kosher style(I think) deli....but it's been years since I've been down there...I miss really good herring in cream sauce...where the slice up the fillet...weigh it...then give you extra onions and sauce on top...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/09 12:55:58 (permalink)
    If you're on the South Shore, there's a relatively new place on the corner of Bellmore Road and Jerusalem Avenue that is excellent. Very H&H ish (large, dense and slightly sweet).
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/09 13:00:29 (permalink)
    Linda W: Why did you have to reminisce about herring in cream sauce?? Sitting here at least a hundred miles away from any place that would slice up the fillet and respond to my call for "extra onions, please," In fact, we'd ask for an extra container of onions and cream sauce!

Hmmm, 100 miles ain't much... (Childhood memories of Brooklyn!)
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/09 13:08:56 (permalink)
    Having lived on Long Island all my life, there are plenty of good bagel places around. My personal favorite, however, is "Hot Bagels" on Merrick Road in Massapequa (next to the High School). Old fashioned, hand rolled, and boiled. GREAT!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/09 13:17:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PaulBPool

Having lived on Long Island all my life, there are plenty of good bagel places around. My personal favorite, however, is "Hot Bagels" on Merrick Road in Massapequa (next to the High School). Old fashioned, hand rolled, and boiled. GREAT!

Those places are becoming rare. Many places now get their bagels delivered on big sheets and just bake them on site. Some done like that are okay...but not like ones done the right way!
    sbpressman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/09 13:59:59 (permalink)
    Slim's Bagels on the North side just off Exit 31 of the LIE. You can see them boiled and baked. Nice and chewy.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/13 20:01:11 (permalink)
    The bagels at House of Bagels at Vanderblit Parkwy and Commack Road are great . Unfortuantely, the appy stuff there is only so-so- THe whitefish and lox at Bagel Boss are better, but the bagels are not. I'm a Brooklyn girl- I know my bagels- don't like em soft and mushy-House of Bagles gets my bagel vote, Bagel Boss the appy vote.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/13 20:38:42 (permalink)
    I ended up pushing this assignment to next week, as I wasn't going to be in the office the day after my arrival home -- it is bad enough that they are day-old bagels, but over the weekend bagels are not cool. I will be out on Long Island next week -- staying in Nassau and working in both Nassau and Suffolk, so I will try to hit more than one spot to determine if one bagel is better than another. Since I was also planning on bringing back some cream cheese, though, Bagel Boss may get the advanatage.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Steve
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7761
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/14 00:22:39 (permalink)
    quote:

I ended up pushing this assignment to next week, as I wasn't going to be in the office the day after my arrival home -- it is bad enough that they are day-old bagels, but over the weekend bagels are not cool. I will be out on Long Island next week -- staying in Nassau and working in both Nassau and Suffolk, so I will try to hit more than one spot to determine if one bagel is better than another. Since I was also planning on bringing back some cream cheese, though, Bagel Boss may get the advanatage.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Steve

Steve, I didn't notice your quest for the best bagel until now. I grew up with Bagel City on Merrick Road in Merrick. Apparently they are now called bagel plaza www.bagelplaza.com they're still really good the last time I checked. They're in the Holiday Park Shopping Center.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/14 12:34:10 (permalink)
    Ok, I have an additional question for this group. Some time ago I had a GREAT salt bagel at an office in Oceanside. I was not able to find out where it was made. This one also had Carraway seeds like a salt stick. Now I'm from Suffolk (Ft Salonga) and would like to find a source. Any ideas?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/14 14:21:22 (permalink)
    I will try to check out Bagel Plaza in Merrick, too. That is not too far from the Long Island Marriott (well, Merrick Road is not far -- I just need to drive to Merrick!).

kozel -- what you are describing sounds more like a kimmelweck roll and less like a bagel. Kosher salt and carroway seeds on a "bagel-ish" type roll, but I haven't ever seen kimmelweck rolls with a hole -- like a bagel would have.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/19 00:38:40 (permalink)
    Conveniene definitely won out over all other factors in the end.

I needed to get from the Long Island Marriott to Newark Airport -- and frankly, I was running a little late on check-out. Knowing that any trip that requires a run on the BQE means adding extra time to sit idly in traffic, I felt that closer was better. I hopped off the Meadowbrook and hit Bagel Boss on Old Country Road in Westbury/Mineola/Garden City (I am not sure which burg actually contains the shopping center -- seems they all about run into one another right there).

First, let me say that there seems to have been some serious bagel inflation. I paid $9 for a dozen -- a price that would seem to be more inline with what one would pay at H&H, but didn't quite seem like suburban bagel prices. I bought two dozen bagels -- and received just 24 bagels. It seems like not too long ago, buying bagels by the dozen mid-week would net you a bonus of 3 or 6 bagels per dozen -- or at least 13 (the traditional baker's dozen). Alas, George W. Bush seems to be responsible for the price of bagels increasing astronomically.

Their cream cheese was no bargain, either. My total bill -- which consisted of the two dozen bagels, two containers of cream cheese (one plain, one veggie) and one black-and-white cookie -- was $28. The upside was that the one bagel on which I noshed on the way to the airport was fabulous -- cinammon raisin...mmmmmmm!

The bagels will make their way to the office tomorrow morning, but I am confident that these are winners. Thanks to those who offered suggestions -- my plan is to keep trying the others on subsequent trips to Long Island!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/19 08:19:52 (permalink)
    quote:

First, let me say that there seems to have been some serious bagel inflation. I paid $9 for a dozen -- a price that would seem to be more inline with what one would pay at H&H, but didn't quite seem like suburban bagel prices.

Glad you got some good bagels! Those prices seems like more evidence of urban sprawl...Deeper into shruburbia the prices are lower and you still get 13 at most places.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/19 08:51:42 (permalink)
    The place here in Kings Park gives an extra 6 free when you buy 12 and I think they are no more than 60 cents each.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/19 12:27:10 (permalink)
    Well, the gang at the office loved them, so they were worth the price, I suppose. Maybe it was the $4+ cream cheese that did me in! I could have bought a slab of Philly at Publix and these rubes wouldn't have known the difference!

Boss ate hers plain -- no butter/cream cheese right out of the bag! It's no wonder we get along so well. Me, I loved mine yesterday - the crustiness of the exterior combined with the soft interior made for quie the treat! Today's day olds were a pale comparison for me -- but, for the rest of the office, a day old from NY is better that most of what we can get around here!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7761
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/19 12:48:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Well, the gang at the office loved them, so they were worth the price, I suppose. Maybe it was the $4+ cream cheese that did me in! I could have bought a slab of Philly at Publix and these rubes wouldn't have known the difference!

Boss ate hers plain -- no butter/cream cheese right out of the bag! It's no wonder we get along so well. Me, I loved mine yesterday - the crustiness of the exterior combined with the soft interior made for quie the treat! Today's day olds were a pale comparison for me -- but, for the rest of the office, a day old from NY is better that most of what we can get around here!

Steve, next time you should try Bagel Plaza in Merrick. They've been around since 1962 (that's before I was born!!) and apparently are the oldest bagel shop on the South Shore of Long Island.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/05/28 17:42:16 (permalink)
    House of Bagels gives you 18 when you buy a dozen. Pretty good deal on really good bagels- they do have decent cream cheeses- I just would go elsewhere for the lox and whitefish. (Not a Jewish bagel place, if you catch my drift.)
    fabulousoyster
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/06/25 10:35:37 (permalink)
    I would say Bagel Boss in Hicksville, (South Oyster Bay Road) Long Island. Their whitefish salad and egg salad are the best too and they are not skimpy with the cream cheese or butter. Big delicious bagels. The EVERYTHING bagels are my favorite with lots of butter.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2916
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/07/22 16:59:03 (permalink)
    I only know it as "Hot Bagels" - on the south side of Montauk Highway, midway between Sayville and Bayport. I believe a Bayport address. If you're flying out of Islip, it's only 10 minutes away. We lived nearby for 2 years, and perhaps 2-3 times per week I'd stop by for hot, out of the oven bagels. The scallion cream cheese was creamy and strong...perfect! Most mornings, you were 10 feet away from the guys making them.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: BEST Bagels on Long Island??? 2006/07/24 05:37:35 (permalink)
    Boca Raton is closer and I am sure bagels are just as good.
    I mean you got the flying bagel guy from West Palm south....
    Who needs NY?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1