The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
Voyageur

RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Thu, 11/16/06 2:34 PM (permalink)
Thanks, desertdog! And some people can't imagine mac & cheese as a respectable main dish.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
    RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Thu, 11/16/06 2:43 PM (permalink)
    of course it's a respectable main dish!
    i grew up having it with stewed tomatoes.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
      RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Thu, 11/16/06 7:33 PM (permalink)

After the Patti Labelle M&C success (man, that stuff was good!), I am motivated to try this one over the weekend from the fore-suggested Epicurious web site:

FOUR-CHEESE BAKED BOW TIES

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
      1/4 cup all-purpose flour
      1 1/2 cups milk
      a 28- to 32-ounce can whole Italian tomatoes, drained, reserving 1 1/4 cups juice, and chopped fine
      1 pound bow-tie pasta
      1 1/2 cups coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
      1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 2 ounces)

1/2 cup diced Italian Fontina cheese (about 2 ounces)
      1 1/3 cups freshly grated Romano cheese (about 4 ounces)
      1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (preferably flat-leafed)

Preheat oven to 375°F. and butter a 3-to 4-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish.
      In a heavy saucepan melt butter over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk and reserved tomato juice in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Stir in tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.

In a kettle of salted boiling water cook pasta until just al dente, about 8 minutes, and drain well.

In a bowl stir together pasta, sauce, mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Fontina, 1 cup Romano, and parsley and transfer to prepared dish. Sprinkle pasta with remaining 1/3 cup Romano.

Bake bow ties in middle of oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and bubbling, and let stand 10 minutes before servings.

Serves 6 as an entrée.
      Gourmet
      February 1994

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more Mac & Cheese!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
        RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Thu, 11/16/06 7:53 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Voyageur
        And some people can't imagine mac & cheese as a respectable main dish.

Roadfood of all sorts has the same problem. That's why I love it.

quote:
        Originally posted by xannie_01
        of course it's a respectable main dish!i grew up having it with stewed tomatoes.

What'd the tomatoes drink to get stewed? Vodka? Beer?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Look what I found on www.dogpile.com : http://www.maccheese.com/ !

desertdog

RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Tue, 12/19/06 7:49 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by desertdog

After the Patti Labelle M&C success (man, that stuff was good!), I am motivated to try this one over the weekend from the fore-suggested Epicurious web site:

FOUR-CHEESE BAKED BOW TIES

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
          1/4 cup all-purpose flour
          1 1/2 cups milk
          a 28- to 32-ounce can whole Italian tomatoes, drained, reserving 1 1/4 cups juice, and chopped fine
          1 pound bow-tie pasta
          1 1/2 cups coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
          1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 2 ounces)

1/2 cup diced Italian Fontina cheese (about 2 ounces)
          1 1/3 cups freshly grated Romano cheese (about 4 ounces)
          1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (preferably flat-leafed)

Preheat oven to 375°F. and butter a 3-to 4-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish.
          In a heavy saucepan melt butter over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk and reserved tomato juice in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Stir in tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.

In a kettle of salted boiling water cook pasta until just al dente, about 8 minutes, and drain well.

In a bowl stir together pasta, sauce, mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Fontina, 1 cup Romano, and parsley and transfer to prepared dish. Sprinkle pasta with remaining 1/3 cup Romano.

Bake bow ties in middle of oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and bubbling, and let stand 10 minutes before servings.

Serves 6 as an entrée.
          Gourmet
          February 1994

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more Mac & Cheese!

Finally got around to making this one. What can i say but mMMmm..good!

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
            RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Wed, 12/20/06 3:48 PM (permalink)
            I use the recipe from the Sterne's book Square Meals. It's called "School Cafeteria Macaroni and Cheese" It's topped with crumbled potato chips!

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
              RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Thu, 12/21/06 9:03 AM (permalink)
              Desertdog, glad you tried and liked the 4-cheese mac. IMO that wouldn't be a bad addition to a holiday buffet!

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Thu, 12/21/06 10:40 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by dreamzpainter

for real decadence egg noodles and blucheese!I just cook the noodles, drain and add a package or 2 of crumbled blucheese then stir
                Do that, mix thoroughly (adding cream [that's right, real, heavy cream] as needed to make "flowable"), and set aside. Slice a piece of pork loin (or large tenderloin) into 1/4"-3/8" pieces and brown them. Spread the noodle mixture in a (9 x 13?) baking dish. Now push the pork slices into the noodles at an angle, leaving about 1/3 showing and bake at about 400° until the noodles show a few crispy edges. Good stuff--and stolen right out my memory of a '60s cookbook, the looseleaf one with red plaid covers. Don't remember more than that.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                  RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Thu, 12/21/06 10:45 AM (permalink)
                  "memory of a '60s cookbook, the looseleaf one with red plaid covers. Don't remember more than that."

Better Homes & Gardens, maybe? We have a late 70s edition, my Wife's initial contribution to the ever-growing collection. I still make their scalloped potatoes. Easy recipe and always comes out good.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                    RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Thu, 12/21/06 10:53 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Better Homes & Gardens, maybe? We have a late 70s edition, my Wife's initial contribution to the ever-growing collection. I still make their scalloped potatoes. Easy recipe and always comes out good.
                    Right!--and thanks. We got ours as a wedding present in '66; somehow the whole book has become a sort of "comfort food" itself. I don't always like the recipes, but I've yet to see one actually fail.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                      RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Mon, 08/13/07 12:47 AM (permalink)
                      This how I make mine
                      Kosher salt
                      2 cups elbow macaroni
                      2 eggs, beaten
                      2 cups evaporated milk
                      1/2 cup butter, melted
                      1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                      2-1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar or use 2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere
                      1 cup bread crumbs
                      1 teaspoon paprika
                      1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
                      Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook, stirring occasionally until it is almost tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, the cayenne pepper, and a teaspoon of salt.

Put half the macaroni into a buttered 2-quart casserole and top with half the cheddar cheese. Repeat. Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni and cheese.

In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the paprika, the remaining butter, and the Parmesan. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the macaroni and bake until brown and bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes.

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
                        RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Mon, 08/13/07 1:09 AM (permalink)
                        While this is not a fancy one, I do like it...now if someone could tell me where to get Cafeteria Style `Veal" Patties to go with it...

Cafeteria-Style Macaroni & Cheese

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
                        1 1/2 cups milk
                        1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard
                        1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
                        1/4 teaspoon salt
                        Few drops of hot pepper sauce
                        3 1/2 tablespoons butter
                        1 egg, beaten
                        3 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese (about 3/4 pound)
                        1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
                        1/2 teaspoon paprika

Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a shallow 2 quart baking dish.

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until
                        tender but still firm, about 8 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over
                        moderate heat. Removed from the heat and stir in the powdered mustard,
                        Worcestershire sauce, salt and hot pepper sauce. Set the seasoned milk
                        aside.

Transfer the macaroni to a medium bowl. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the
                        butter and the egg and mix well. Stir in 3 cups of the Cheddar cheese.
                        Spread the macaroni evenly in the buttered baking dish. Pour the
                        seasoned milk over the macaroni and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2
                        cup grated cheese.

In a small skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over
                        moderate heat. Stire in the bread crumbs until well coated. Scatter
                        the buttered crumbs evenly over the macaroni and sprinkle with the
                        paprika.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until the macaroni is bubbling and lightly
                        colored. Transfer to the broiler and broil about 6 inches from the
                        heat until the bread crumbs are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                          RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Mon, 08/13/07 3:09 AM (permalink)
                          Four Cheese Macaroni & Cheese
                          I saw the EXACT recipe as Patti LaBelle's on the www.allrecipes.com web site:---And the editors put it in the All Recipes Cookbook!!!
                          Submitted by: Kimberly
                          "A very rich and creamy version of macaroni and cheese. This can be made any time of the year. My whole family loves it."

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=four+cheese+Macaroni+and+cheese&SearchIn=All

Hummmmmmmm---I wonder who copied from whom

desertdog

RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Sat, 11/10/07 6:14 AM (permalink)

Seems to be a renewed interest in Mac and Cheese, since there are some great recipes posted on this thread I thought I'd bring it back up.

Mac and Cheese on a fall evening just sounds good!

DD

Voyageur

RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Sat, 11/10/07 2:01 PM (permalink)
                              Wow, californyguy, your recipe is amazingly similar right down to the powdered mustard to the way my mom, who once worked in a California cafeteria, often made Mac & Cheese, although her cooking influences were mostly Kentucky ones.

I can vouch that it's delicious!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Sun, 11/11/07 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                I'm having a baked ham for dinner this evening and mac and cheese just seems to be the perfect side with it. That along with some leftover homemade baked beans and a veg sould fit the bill.
                                With so many great sounding recipes for the mac and cheese it's going to be hard to choose. Now biscuits or cornbread, hmm. Chow Jim

BR

• Total Posts: 233
                                  RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Sun, 11/11/07 9:16 AM (permalink)
                                  Give this a try.

Smoky Mac 'n Cheese

3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
                                  1 1/2 cups whipping cream*
                                  1 tsp dijon mustard
                                  1/2 tsp course kosher or sea salt
                                  1 tsp red pepper flakes
                                  1/4 tsp blk pepper
                                  8 oz shredded Smoked Cheddar cheese
                                  1 28oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
                                  1/4 cup sliced green onions
                                  1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesano Reggiano cheese
                                  1/3 cup cracker crumbs
                                  2 tsp olive oil

Cook and drain macaroni as directed on box. Return to saucepan; keep warm.

Heat oven to 375#778;F. Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 2-quart saucepan, heat cream, mustard, salt and red pepper flakes to boiling. Reduce heat; stir in Smoked Cheddar cheese with wire whisk until smooth. Pour sauce over macaroni. Stir in tomatoes and onions. Pour into baking dish. In small bowl, stir together Parmesano Reggiano cheese and cracker crumbs; stir in oil. Sprinkle over top of macaroni mixture.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are bubbly and top is golden brown.

oscar5933

• Total Posts: 36
                                    RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Tue, 11/13/07 12:07 PM (permalink)
                                    A favorite at our house is macaroni and cheese with chunks of ham and baked till bubbly.

It's also yummy to add ham to scalloped potatoes and bake.

These make great one pot dinners. Serve with salad and bread or just by itself.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                      RE: BEST MAC & CHEESE RECIPES Tue, 07/8/08 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                      I love a creamy and a crusty macaroni and cheese. Someone gave me a recipe for a crusty mac and cheese I made yesterday from tne NY times, it was very good. What was different about this was that I had to boil the elbows, drain and rinse in cold water. The only time I've rinsed the elbows in cold water was to make a macaroni salad. Here is the recipe, very very good if you like it crusty on top and bottom:

Crusty Mac and Cheese:

3 tbs butter
                                      12 oz extra sharp cheddar coarsley grated
                                      12 oz american cheese or cheddar coarsely grated
                                      16oz box elbow macaroni boiled in salted water till tender, drained and rinsed in cold water
                                      1/8 tsp cayenne
                                      salt
                                      2/3 cup whole milk.

Oven 375. Grease a 9x13 pan with 1 tbs butter. Combine cheeses (this should be 3 cups of cheese), set aside 2 cups for topping.

In a large bowl, mix together pasta, 1 cup cheese mix, cayenne, salt to taste. Place in pan, pour milk over surface. Top with the remaining 2 cups of cheese, dot with remaining butter, bake uncovered 45 min. Raise heat to 400F and bake 15-20 min more until crusty on top and bottom.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com