The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA???

jnineaz

• Total Posts: 1
BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Sun, 07/1/07 12:58 AM (permalink)
Who has the best Mexican food in the Phoenix area? We were in CA recently and went to Miguel's and we can't stop dreaming about it. Is there anywhere like Miguel's in Phoenix.

MesaMexicanFoods

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Thu, 07/5/07 9:38 PM (permalink)
    Howdy jnieaz,

I'm not sure what Miguel's is like, but I can make some suggestions for authentic and great tasting Mexican food in the Phx Metro area.

Los Picos in Mesa - Fantastic little family place that serves the best hand squeezed Colima Lime Margaritas I have ever tasted. I have tried just about everything on the menu, and it's all wonderful. Their Tioponcho Pork is their signature dish, and I would highly suggest it. It's Nayarit style Mexican, so it's a bit different than most of the other places here (most others serve Sonoran style.

Los Dos Molinos in Mesa and Phx - New Mexican Style Mexican food. Lots of green chili items, and everything is HOT, I mean HOT!!!!

Carolina's in South Phoenix - Old school Mexican Food with a cult like following. They make the best tortillas in the whole world! Not just my opinion, they get voted the best every year by the local papers. Very inexpensive and large menu.

Sylvia's La Canasta in Phoenix - Several locations. Family style Sonoran food with locations ranging from small taco stand to nice sit down restaraunt. She has a great cookbook out, and you can pick it up at some of the locations for much less than buying in a store.

These are only a few of the great Mexican Food places out here, if you are looking for a particular dish or style of Mexican food, let me know and I will see what I can come up with.

I hope this helps!

Jacqueline

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9534
      RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Thu, 07/5/07 11:40 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by MesaMexicanFoods

Howdy jnieaz,

I'm not sure what Miguel's is like, but I can make some suggestions for authentic and great tasting Mexican food in the Phx Metro area.

Los Picos in Mesa - Fantastic little family place that serves the best hand squeezed Colima Lime Margaritas I have ever tasted. I have tried just about everything on the menu, and it's all wonderful. Their Tioponcho Pork is their signature dish, and I would highly suggest it. It's Nayarit style Mexican, so it's a bit different than most of the other places here (most others serve Sonoran style.

Los Dos Molinos in Mesa and Phx - New Mexican Style Mexican food. Lots of green chili items, and everything is HOT, I mean HOT!!!!

Carolina's in South Phoenix - Old school Mexican Food with a cult like following. They make the best tortillas in the whole world! Not just my opinion, they get voted the best every year by the local papers. Very inexpensive and large menu.

Sylvia's La Canasta in Phoenix - Several locations. Family style Sonoran food with locations ranging from small taco stand to nice sit down restaraunt. She has a great cookbook out, and you can pick it up at some of the locations for much less than buying in a store.

These are only a few of the great Mexican Food places out here, if you are looking for a particular dish or style of Mexican food, let me know and I will see what I can come up with.

I hope this helps!

Jacqueline

Do you have a retail outlet? Where is Los Picos Located??

Foodbme

RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Thu, 07/5/07 11:43 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by jnineaz

Who has the best Mexican food in the Phoenix area? We were in CA recently and went to Miguel's and we can't stop dreaming about it. Is there anywhere like Miguel's in Phoenix.

I agree with Mesa Mexican foods. Los Dos Molinos ( they maybe closed for vacation in the hot months) and Carolina's Hole in the wall in the Barrio.

MesaMexicanFoods

RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Fri, 07/6/07 2:48 AM (permalink)
          Foodbme, we don't have a retail store, our online store is our only outlet. We wanted people in other parts of the country and world to have access to the great Mexican food ingredients that both of us are so lucky to have in abundance around here. Being born and raised in AZ, I had no idea that there were so many people out there that didn't know what authentic Mexican food tasted like, or people that loved Mexican food, but were in an area that didn't have even the basics to make the food I took for granted.

To answer your other question, Los Picos Parrila is located at University and Longmore in Mesa(1542 W. University Drive). My SO stumbled upon it some years back, and it's been one of our favorite places ever since. It's on the north side of the street with a tall sign, so it's fairly easy to spot. I believe they are closed on Tuesdays, you might want to give them a call before you go, just to make sure they are open (480-833-4711). It's very comfy, and pretty small sit down place, a few booths and about 6 tables in the center of the rectangular room. If you can resist the amazing Margaritas (which are made with real juice instead of flavored sugar water), you can get out of there pretty cheap.

I'm glad you mentioned Los Dos Molino's extended vacation. For those who don't know, the family periodically goes back to their place in Springerville on the AZ/NM border, where they grow the chiles they use in their fantastic dishes. I don't know what they do to make those chiles so hot, but they definitely have that one down! I'm not a hot food fanatic, but it's worth suffering through the small amount of discomfort to eat their food. Plus, you can get a big ol glass of homemade sangria for a few bucks to help quench the heat!

Jacqueline

PHXFAN

RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Tue, 07/10/07 5:54 PM (permalink)
            quote:

PHXFAN

RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Tue, 07/10/07 6:00 PM (permalink)

[/qu
              Hi,
              I was born and raised in Phoenix and all of my family and friends loved Don's Valle Luna. Whenever we had family come into town from out of state they would want to go to Don's Valle Luna to eat. A matter of fact, a couple of times we had to freeze dry mexican food and send it next day mail to them. Hope this helps.

Foodbme

RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Wed, 07/11/07 12:02 AM (permalink)
                I had Brunch at Dick's Hideway on Monday. I had the Carne Adovada with eggs. Very filling & very good. $12 Bucks + tax, no drinks. It's NM style cooking which means Spicy & Hot! No sign on the outside, (Hideway, Get It???). If You've never been there you need to go by the Number on the entrance, 6008 N. 16th st. It's on the NW corner of 16th St & Bethany Home Rd. Directly across the street from TEXAZ Grill. More Great food on One intersection than anyplace in the world!!!@

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                  RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Wed, 07/11/07 12:51 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Foodbme

I had Brunch at Dick's Hideway on Monday. I had the Carne Adovada with eggs. Very filling & very good. $12 Bucks + tax, no drinks. It's NM style cooking which means Spicy & Hot! No sign on the outside, (Hideway, Get It???). If You've never been there you need to go by the Number on the entrance, 6008 N. 16th st. It's on the NW corner of 16th St & Bethany Home Rd. Directly across the street from TEXAZ Grill. More Great food on One intersection than anyplace in the world!!!@

I second the

For New Mexican Style food, Richardson's just down the street (1582 E Bethany Home Rd) and Carlsbad Tavern in Scottsdale http://www.carlsbadtavern.com/ serve up some great eats. The Roswell Reuben is on my short list as a lunchtime favorite.

DD

bowtieman

• Total Posts: 14
                    RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Sat, 07/14/07 3:27 PM (permalink)
                    Just outside Phoenix in Old Avondale is a little known treasure called Cafe Zamora it is family owned,it's not fancy but if you want to experience what it's like to eat at a Mexican Grandma's house this is the place!Burrito's melt in your mouth tender and the portions are generous too.

Foodbme

RE: BEST MEXICAN FOOD IN PHOENIX AREA??? Sat, 07/14/07 6:06 PM (permalink)
                      Espo's (Between the 101 and Mccormick Rd)
                      Espinoza's Foods
                      3863 W Chandler Boulevard
                      Chandler, AZ 85226
                      http://www.espinozasfoods.com
                      Phone: (480) 963-020
                      Voted the best Mexican restaurant in the East Valley,
                      by the New Time local paper four times!
                      Authentic Sonoran-style Mexican cuisine. Homey Hole in the Wall place with OUTSTANDING Machacha Beef. Best I ever ate.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com