BEST Sandwiches in Chicago

Author
JAHelgy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
2005/02/10 11:36:53 (permalink)

BEST Sandwiches in Chicago

For the absolute best sandwiches in Chicago, go to Potbelly Sandwich Works!!! They're awesome, and now they've got several locations. They have been toasting their subs for years......long before Quizno's 'came up with the idea'.

--James

25 Replies Related Threads

Fred Ferris
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/10 11:48:43 (permalink)
    Costello's in Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village also is fantastic...they toast as well (which I see the horrible Subway is now doing..wonder if they're any better than their regular junk...anyone tried one yet?)

I also have to admit fondness of Mr. Submarine..the Roast Beef or the Steakburger....very cheap and, yes I admit, probably not to everybody's taste...but something strangely satisfying.
    JAHelgy
    Hamburger
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/10 11:57:53 (permalink)
    HHMMMMM, I'll have to try Costello's. Thanks for the tip. I LOVE my sammiches..............I could live on little else!

--James
    Shane
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/10 12:45:58 (permalink)
    If you're ever on Grand Ave around May St., check out Bari. It's an Italian Grocery with a small deli in the back (which is packed at lunch time!) Great subs, Italian specialities and everything else.They don't do the toasted thing, but this place is awesome. It's a holdover from when this area was all Italian (before the highway went through).
    twodales
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/14 00:02:30 (permalink)
    Last week I had a mightyfine...close to perfect warm, tender, thinly sliced corned beef on rye, yellow mustard...some fat but not too much,2-3" thick. Dill pickle, bag o' chips, Dr. Brown's black cherry soda. All for around $6.00. Satisfied my craving for a while. It's not that easy to find a good corned beef sandwich these days.

Found this delight at New York Bagels & Bialys in Niles, IL. Dempster & Greenwood. Check it out.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3301
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/14 00:57:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twodales

Last week I had a mightyfine...close to perfect warm, tender, thinly sliced corned beef on rye, yellow mustard...some fat but not too much,2-3" thick. Dill pickle, bag o' chips, Dr. Brown's black cherry soda. All for around $6.00. Satisfied my craving for a while. It's not that easy to find a good corned beef sandwich these days.

Found this delight at New York Bagels & Bialys in Niles, IL. Dempster & Greenwood. Check it out.

In another life, I lived off the corner of Dempster & Milwaukee in Niles on Washington Street. Rossini's, one of our favorite Italian restaurants is on the northwest corner. Manny's still serves the best corned beef sandwich in Chicago. They even serve Green River in the old fashioned paper coned cups. My favorite corned beef sandwich is in Milwaukee at Jake's on North Avenue.
    david8344
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/14 01:56:43 (permalink)
    The Chicago area is so diverse that it's hard to determine just one favorite sandwich. If you like huge, hot corned beef sandwiches then I would recomend Manny's Deli on Jefferson just south of the "loop". This is a cafeteria Jewish style deli. The sandwich is served with a potato pancake. Your in corned beef heaven! Also great hot pastrami.
    JAHelgy
    Hamburger
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/14 07:46:48 (permalink)
    Corned Beef------a little piece of Heaven on Earth! You are all going to think I've gone off the proverbial deep end, But I've found Chicagoland's BEST Reuben Sandwich. They serve 'em at Allstate arena in Rosemont. (formerly Rosemont Horizon) They are huge & juicy. They grill them up (including the bread) right in front of you. They only make 'em at 2 of the little food stands there. It's the best part of going to a Chicago Wolves game! Make sure to grab at least 10 napkins!!!!!!

--James
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/14 10:01:10 (permalink)
    Ok--as a NON Chicagoan---who are the Wolves?----and how nice to hear that thier areana has GOOD food---not always true at stadiums/arena!
    JAHelgy
    Hamburger
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/15 09:29:17 (permalink)
    The Wolves are the local AHL Hockey team. If you're not familiar with the AHL, it is sort of the 'minor league' of professional hockey. Thank God for them, since the NHL season has been officially cancelled for this year.
    Yup, stadium food is RARELY good...........yet always pricey!

--James
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1983
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/15 12:27:58 (permalink)
    Speaking of the AHL, our Worcester Ice Cats are leaving for the midwest at the end of the season. The powers that be are trying to get us a new team. My question.......boosters often say that sports teams build downtown restaurant biz, but I have never combined a restaurant meal with the Cats. Am I the exception? Except for pride, is a downtown team good for biz??? My friends in the business look forward to conventions, more than pro sport games.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/15 13:44:59 (permalink)
    The Allstate arena is out in Rosemont, right near to O'Hare airport and it's in such a spaghetti bowl mess of the tollroad system that I can't see that being a draw for people to come into to the neighborhood to spend their money, people generally go to the Allstate for a concert or a game and then leave. The same is to be said of the United Center where the Bulls play, the neighborhood doesn't welcome you enough to want to stay. Now at Wrigley, the whole neighborhood is a destination and the bars, businesses and restaurants in the area explode with fans because it doesn't matter if you get inside the park to enjoy the Cubs experience. The White Sox park is in a sea of parking lot but it is near Chinatown.

Sorry....got off topic. As far as the original post about Potbelly, we badly need a real sandwich spot that will make 'em your way and not the way the corporation says to make them.
    lampwick773
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/15 22:24:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

... The White Sox park is in a sea of parking lot but it is near Chinatown.

Yea, but don't short-change the neighborhood entirely... the ballpark is also near Ricobene's (W.26th between Canal and Wells) and Freddie's (W.31st and Union), both of which have very good versions my favorite kind of sandwich (and a Bridgeport original): the breaded steak!

Plus, for what Sox Park (now US Cellular, or whatever it is this week) lacks in charm and neighborhood friendliness, it does have better than average concessions. Quick, diverse, and pretty darn tasty.
    JAHelgy
    Hamburger
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/02/17 09:38:13 (permalink)
    Speaking of the Cubs / Wrigley Field, they've got a special nacho plate (only available at about half of the vendors) that comes with cheese as well as chili! GOOD stuff on opening day when it's onle 40 degrees ou--James
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/03/02 11:05:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JAHelgy

For the absolute best sandwiches in Chicago, go to Potbelly Sandwich Works!!! They're awesome, and now they've got several locations. They have been toasting their subs for years......long before Quizno's 'came up with the idea'.

--James

FYI, Potbelly Sandwich Works has locations in five states (Texas, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota) and the District of Columbia. Also, I must admit that I've never caught on to the idea of toasted subs. To me, toast should be served at breakfast with butter and jam, and submarines should be served on untoasted bread. The only toasted sub I've ever had has been at Quizno's, and I definitely wasn't impressed. Like the regular subs at Subway, it had too much lettuce and not enough meat. I don't eat at Subway often, but when I do go there, I order double meat.
    westsidetommy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/03/03 19:39:25 (permalink)
    Potbellys!?! I dunno, I think we can do better than chain-food in Chicago.

Johnnys, Mannys, Bounas, Frankys, Fontanas, Ricobenes, LaMilanes, Poochies to name a few and I'm sure there's a zillion places I don't know.

LaMilanese at 32nd and May has a breaded-steak I think better than Ricobenes.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4233
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/03/03 19:57:35 (permalink)
    Add my vote for Costello's (two locations: Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village) under the general heading of "sandwiches". If we're talking about a more specific item, I'd also agree with Manny's for corned beef. What about Italian Beef? Tortas? Subs?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/03/03 21:45:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rbpalmer

To me, toast should be served at breakfast with butter and jam
    Err, ever have a club sandwich?

hehe
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/03/03 22:44:15 (permalink)
    For great sandwiches in the Chicagoland area check out Franco's Cucina. They have two locations, Streamwood and Schaumberg and one soon to open in South Elgin (on Randall rd). My favorite sandwich is their Italian turkey, basically it is like an Italian beef sandwhich but instead of beef they use turkey breast. They serve it with your choice of mild or hot giardinara (sp?).

They also have terrfic subs, Italian specialites such as chicken parm, sausage and peppers, arachini and they make a terrific square pan pizza which can purchase by the slice.

BTW - They also make all their own breads and sweets and are known for their cannolies (sp?.
    JAHelgy
    Hamburger
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/03/22 11:26:40 (permalink)
    I just got back from Mr. Submarine...........and am VERY disappointed! I had one abou 2 weeks ago (my first) and didn't care for it at all. Today, on a bit of a whim, I went back to give them another chance. I ordered a totally different sammich, and it tasted JUST like the last one. They must pack up all their ingredients in the same package overnight.......so sad.

--James
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/03/22 20:31:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by westsidetommy

Potbellys!?! I dunno, I think we can do better than chain-food in Chicago.

Johnnys, Mannys, Bounas, Frankys, Fontanas, Ricobenes, LaMilanes, Poochies to name a few and I'm sure there's a zillion places I don't know.

LaMilanese at 32nd and May has a breaded-steak I think better than Ricobenes.

The original Potbellys is in Chicago Hopefully they will keep thie independance like the original Al's Beef on Taylor St
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/03/23 08:53:02 (permalink)
    I have tried the Potbelly's in the Geneva Commons in Geneva, Il twice and find it to be very bland. There are only 11 sandwiches on their menu, they say they are made to order but there aren't many options and some have an extra charge. There is a new deli opening on Third Street in Geneva and I am hoping we can finally get a real deli in this area and not the "Canned" stuff from the likes of Potbelly, Subway and such. We'll see when they open.
    readjl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/04/13 15:51:12 (permalink)
    Regarding Bari Foods, I sometimes worry they are going to cross contaminate. Those employees seem to drift from the deli side to the raw meat side of the counter without any coordination whatsoever. Plus, bari's bread is too hard, and they take forever! I like the deli though and support it, they have great ricotta, and sell imported San Marzano tomatoes in cans etc., but their sandwiches are just OK. Do they use Volpi?

ONE OF THE BEST sandwiches in the city of Chicago is the Oggi Special (Rib-eye) at Oggi's Trattoria at Grand and Noble not far from bari. It is a marinated rib-eye with onions, mushrooms, green peppers and cheese. It is outstanding, and one of the most UNIQUE sandwiches I have ever had. You should really try it, with a plate of seasoned fries. Highly recommended.
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/04/13 23:04:14 (permalink)
    "the thorndale deli"[close to the cta red line] near broadway on thorndale in the edgewater neighborhood.great baked polish ham,fabulous corned beef and delicious smoked turkey too.choice of fresh breads and sides like potatoe salad,macaroni,egg,bean salads as well.
    westsidetommy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/04/14 03:34:11 (permalink)
    Mirischka's, in Cresthill out by Joliet, makes a killer steak sandwich on garlic bread and I mean GARLIC bread. They have great onion rings too.
    JAHelgy
    Hamburger
    RE: BEST Sandwiches in Chicago 2005/04/15 15:31:57 (permalink)
    OGGI is Awesome.............but still, I believe the absolute BEST sammiches are created in my own kitchen!!!!!!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1