BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ...

Author
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
2010/03/11 18:45:36 (permalink)

BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ...

Dear Roadfood Friends ,

My husband Paul & I will be in Birmingham , Alabama from May 1st through May 14th . I would love to meet with some of my fellow Roadfooders while we are in the city !

15 Replies Related Threads

will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/03/11 20:06:45 (permalink)
    I'd love to meet up with you somewhere during your stay in Bham.  You'll have plenty of time to hit some great spots!  Please send me a private message when you know more about your schedule and your eating plans.
    iqdiva
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/03/11 20:31:18 (permalink)

will_work_4_bbq

I'd love to meet up with you somewhere during your stay in Bham.  You'll have plenty of time to hit some great spots!  Please send me a private message when you know more about your schedule and your eating plans.

Oh that would be great will_work_4_bbq ! :) ... I hope that we can include a visit to BRIGHT STAR during our stay... We'll know more closer to the date of visit to Birmingham ...

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10473
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/03/12 13:28:12 (permalink)
    iqdiva-
    I wish you better luck than I had back in November, getting a group of Roadfooders together in Birmingham.  But no matter what, you will enjoy meeting will_work_4_bbq.  She is great company!

As for Bright Star

iqdiva
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/03/12 13:57:20 (permalink)

Oh Cliff I can't wait to meet her ! We'll have a grand time !

iqdiva
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/06 18:35:08 (permalink)
    Susan Ellen Pollan Susan Ellen Pollan Tomorrow evening Paul & I are having a " Meet & Eat " with my Roadfood friend from Homewood , AL , Lynn Bacon AKA WILL_WORK_4_BBQ on the Roadfood.com site ... We're going to Niki's West here in B'Ham , AL . Niki's is a very well known local landmark restaurant specializing in great down-home Southern... meats & vegetable dishes... as... well as pies ...They also have Greek specialities ! We're so excited about getting to eat at Niki's & most importantly getting to meet Lynn ... She has such a sweet telephone voice ! :)
    www.nikiswest.com
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/07 21:29:44 (permalink)
    And a WONDERFUL time was had by all!  Met IQDIVA and her lovely hubby Paul tonight for a fabulous Niki's supper full of vegetables and conversation.  We also got the double-secret-insider-hot cinnamon roll to cap things off.  (Sorry, BB, but I wasn't aware of the DSIHCR when you and I ate at Niki's...next time!)  Otherwise, we ate okra in many forms, butter beans, greens, salad, green beans, tomatoes, flounder and fried pork chops.  Had such a blast, we have decided to dine together again in the very near future - like next week!  What delicious FUN!  More about our evening from Susan.....
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10473
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/07 22:10:27 (permalink)
    will_work_4_bbq-
    I can't believe you were holding out me with the cinnamon rolls!  Glad you guys got together and had such a good time. 
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/08 06:14:21 (permalink)
    Next visit, BB.....next visit!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/08 11:05:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report! We are so pleased to read of our friends "The Diva's", Paul and Susan. We have enjoyed visiting with them on several visits to Alabama and find them to be wonderful friends and company !

iqdiva
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/08 15:05:36 (permalink)
    will_work_4_bbq

And a WONDERFUL time was had by all!  Met IQDIVA and her lovely hubby Paul tonight for a fabulous Niki's supper full of vegetables and conversation.  We also got the double-secret-insider-hot cinnamon roll to cap things off.  (Sorry, BB, but I wasn't aware of the DSIHCR when you and I ate at Niki's...next time!)  Otherwise, we ate okra in many forms, butter beans, greens, salad, green beans, tomatoes, flounder and fried pork chops.  Had such a blast, we have decided to dine together again in the very near future - like next week!  What delicious FUN!  More about our evening from Susan.....

My Dear Roadfood Friends , please forgive the delayed posting , but
    Mr.Paul & I experienced a viral infection on our laptop last evening . We were rescued by our B'ham Best Buy " Geek Squad " & everythings up & running this afternoon .
    Our " Meet & Eat " With Miss Will_Work_4_BBQ was one of the best times that Paul & I ever had ! NIKI'S WEST was FABULOUS , the Southern cooking was FABULOUS ( and that's comin' from a really good Southern cook ) & the wonderful,wonderful company of Miss Lynn was FABULOUS as well . It was such a blessing to us to have such great homestyle food , wonderful service and sweet,sweet and charming company !
    As Lynn said earlier , we had veal cutlet with gravy , fried flounder , and fried porkchops accompanied by fresh collard greens , fresh Southern fried ( creamed ) corn , fresh baby butterbeans , fresh pole beans , blackeyed peas , fried okra , okra & tomatoes , tossed salad and I think that Lynn had some stewed tomatoes . Incredibly good cornbread muffins , corn bread sticks & to-die for yeast rolls were on our plates as well as unlimited sweet tea , unsweetened tea & diet coke for me ! Our meats & fish were perfectly cooked with not a bit of greasiness & the veggies were as close to homemade as my own !
    For dessert , Paul couldn't resist a piece of Niki's pecan pie & as an extra special treat Lynn requested one of their very famous cinnamon rolls ! She & Mr. Paul divided that delicious cinnamon roll & enjoyed every crumb !
    But, the most special part of our blessed meal was Lynn ... What a sweet Angel she is ... We are truly blessed that she is our friend & lovely Roadfood Pal !

iqdiva
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/08 15:10:12 (permalink)
    P.S. Dear Roadfood Friends ...
    Paul , Lynn & I are having another " Meet & Eat " at another B'ham landmark restaurant next week ... Lloyd's BBQ !
    We'll be sure & post a report on our visit !
    iqdiva
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/08 15:16:50 (permalink)
    Thank you my Dear Friend Al for that wonderful compliment ! You and Janet are such treasures & dear friends !
    Love
    Susan
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 923
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/08 18:24:04 (permalink)
      OH MY GOSH !! That yeast roll!!! I tried to yap about it on fb but had snafus as usual...looks so delicious and like so much fun!  So VERY glad that the viral infection belonged to the COMPUTER!!! " />  that's much better.  
    sop that
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/08 20:12:45 (permalink)
    Back in 1995 I did a business trip to Birmingham, I didn't have a lot of time, it was an in and out trip.  My contacts took me to a BBQ place that was close to where we were working, it was good.  They mentioned that if we had more time we would go to another place.  Well that place was on the way to the airport from where I was working and my flight was around 2pm so I planned to have lunch there.

I had a BBQ pork sandwich, and to this day I think it is the best BBQ pork sandwich I've had.  Congratulations Birmingham!

I wish I remembered the name of the place,  but I am glad I remember the flavor of that sandwich. 
    iqdiva
    Re:BIRMINGHAM , AL . MAY 1ST - MAY 14TH ... 2010/05/14 11:47:18 (permalink)

Last evening , Paul & I had another wonderful meal with our sweet Dear Friend Lynn ( will_work_4_bbq ) . We went to an iconic restaurant , Lloyd's Restaurant here in Birmingham , AL . Lloyd's has been serving fabulous meals in the Birmingham area since 1937 .The food was SO GOOD ! Lynn had the fried catfish fillet , hush puppies & THE BEST ONION RINGS I'VE EVER EATEN ...LLOYD'S ONION RINGS ! Paul & I had a great New York Strip , baked potatoes & LLOYD'S ONION RINGS ! I LOVE THOSE ONION RINGS ! :) I also had some hush puppies & two pieces of Lloyd's fried chicken to take back to our hotel ! And , Paul had some of their homemade lemon pie for dessert !
    But, the most special part of our meal was Miss Lynn ! She is such a Sweet Angel & we were truly,truly blessed by her fantastic company ! P.S. We didn't get any photos because we were HUNGRY & we started eating when our beautifully fresh tossed salads came with Lloyd's House made Thousand Island , Blue Cheese Dressing & Ranch Dressing ! :) YUM !!! :)

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1