BK Quadruple Stacker

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/12 10:47:46 (permalink)

jjjr- Thanks I will let that roll thru the house for a day or so, until I have purged myself of all this tomfoolery! I do feel much better already.
Score- Thanks for the offer! I just let this one slip thru for a bit too long.
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/12 13:57:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tukegetting schools to stop selling chips and soda to kids and so forth. If someone doesn't want to eat such foods, then by all means they shouldn't have to, but its not up to them to decide how others are to live their lives.

So you think school cafeterias (which are mostly outsorced to private food service companies) should be totally unregualted as to what they make available to children in public schools?
tuke
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/12 14:12:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:
Originally posted by tukegetting schools to stop selling chips and soda to kids and so forth. If someone doesn't want to eat such foods, then by all means they shouldn't have to, but its not up to them to decide how others are to live their lives.

So you think school cafeterias (which are mostly outsorced to private food service companies) should be totally unregualted as to what they make available to children in public schools?

The responsibility lies with the parents. If they don't want their kids buying extra snacks at lunchtime or from vending machines, then they shouldn't give their kids extra money. Simple as that.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2465
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/13 22:47:05 (permalink)
Hey Tuke, I think its a good thing that schools and fast food places are changing the way they do business. First of all: fast food places aren't changing to healthy options out of the goodness of their hearts. Its all just to boost their image (read: sales)after a lot of bad PR about the quality of their products. Hey, if they are going to put healthy options along with the fat/chemical laden stuff, people still can choose and I'm all for it.

Second: when it comes to kids I'm a firm believer in the educational and physical health of those kids. Schools do what they can in the cafeteria, but who puts the vending machines there and why. Let's look at it, shall we? Big companies who pay for a new building or stadium will gladly fork over the money as long as their product has prime placement in the schools. Why do schools allow it? Because most of them cannot afford to construct a building, or buy new musical instruments for the band without corporate money.
Schools and parents have a tough time competing with the constant bombardment of buy-buy-buy/consume-consume-consume messages that big companies put out there. Yes, its good that a company will do something good for the school, but the tradeoff is that the kids will be inundated with offers to buy their product at every turn. Look, kids can say no or get it somewhere else. For what its worth, I'd rather they got it somewhere else and let the schools stick to the business building not only healthy mind, but healthy bodies as well.
tuke
Hamburger
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/13 23:46:49 (permalink)
Yes, but if the parents don't give kids the extra money, they can't buy from the vending machines. Ulitmately the responsibility to raise children in a healthy/moral/safe manner does not belong to the government. It's the job for the parents.
Man I hate that whole "It takes a village to raise a child" BS.
billyboy
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/14 14:34:16 (permalink)
Hate to say it man, but it does take a village. Sure the parnets do need to be responsible and that shouldn't be taken off of them, but it doesn't mean that the rest of the world can kick back just becuase the kid walked out of the door at home. I know when I was a kid that me and many of my friends had our ways of getting what we wanted without the so called milk money from the folks. Parents only have so much time with their kids each day with school and their jobs cutting into the "quality time". If a school can provide kids with one healthy meal a day, I really can't see that being a bad thing. Its not as if putting healthy food in schools is going to completely cut off the junk food connection to all of the students. I guarantee there are at least two convenience stores on the walk home with plenty of junk food to go around. I just wouldn't want to pay for my kid to go to a school that put getting monies when the price is continuing to bombard them with more junk food.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/14 15:55:58 (permalink)

My last full-time assignment dealt with teaching H S Seniors in the High Desert area of SoCal. (Most were 18 or so yrs. old). At 7:20AM when the first class started I would be ready to go, being a morning person and getting a reasonable amount of sleep the previous night. However, at least half my class would be nodding off most of the class time. If it weren't for their Mountain Dew and Doughnuts I wouldn't have known their eye color!! Now you can say it was my hypnotic teaching style that did it, but it was the sleeping/eating habits of the kids, honest!

The same thing happened at lunch. Our lunch time was 11:15 to a bit after noon. When my last class checked in at 1:15 it would be common for them to bring in one-liter Mountain Dews to keep them from dropping off for a nap during class. Most of these students had jobs, some full-time, after their class time, so they had full schedules thats for sure.

California has a recycling fee on each soda container and some kids would come around after school with large trashbags to collect the days empties...sometimes 100 or more on a typical day would be piled up in the cans outside my classrooom (and there were cans everywhere).

The school didn't want to cut back on the soda drinking even though it acknowledged that it was not a healthy thing...because the soda companies...both Coke and Pepsi gave premiums and discounts for activities, and the 'Staff Room' machines etc. Plus the school sold the cans and bottles in machines at very high prices, and the profit funded many student activities. Students started carrying their own "Water Bottles" to class. Sounded like a solution until we found that many of the "Water Bottles" contained alcoholic mixtures of varying types.

A complex problem, but not as easy to resolve as it sounds.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/14 16:01:42 (permalink)
lord, i'm old. i don't mean to veer off topic but do schools still have water fountains?
i can't ever remember being allowed to take water into a class much less soda.
(toddles out of the forum whilst leaning on my walker)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/14 20:43:52 (permalink)
Xannie,

Yeah the school has some (not many) water fountains...but consider the attitude of the adults who won't drink tap-water, or won't use a public fountain.... it does carry down to the kids.
It is a different world out there. Since I retired 5 years ago, my former school is now pushing 'health beverages' instead of soda. Funny though, the 'health beverages' are produced by Coke and Pepsi also. "Red Bull" and "Whoop Ass" are big sellers, my former associates tell me! The kids gotta work to make the payments on the car and the insurance they have to have because they don't like to ride the yellow bus to school. So their life is 'busy,busy,busy'!
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/15 13:27:05 (permalink)
For any of you pushing the limit, here the specs for the BK "MOAB".
I hear if you order pickels on it, it reduces it down to the same fat as a Whopper...." />

tuke
Hamburger
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/15 16:56:59 (permalink)
Now that I've seen the picture, I have a craving for another one.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/15 18:05:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tuke

Now that I've seen the picture, I have a craving for another one.

You, tuke , are my hero....
salsailsa
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 405
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/15 23:53:50 (permalink)
68 grams of fat- That's disgusting.

As per the schools issue, I think it's good that a lot of schools make an effort to promote healthier eating. A lot of children develop poor eating habits because of their parents. Ever notice overweight parents tend to have overweight children? It's not genetics, it's poor eating habits steming from the parents.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/16 03:04:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by salsailsa

As per the schools issue, I think it's good that a lot of schools make an effort to promote healthier eating. A lot of children develop poor eating habits because of their parents. Ever notice overweight parents tend to have overweight children? It's not genetics, it's poor eating habits steming from the parents.

This reminds me of what I think everytime parents come into my work and order nachos and cheese, chili cheese fries, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers and anything else greasy fried for their kids while on vacation.

It makes me ill to see the fat these people pump into their children.
No salads nothing healthy....And they all are plump "rosy" cheeked lil dumplings.. Its sad...
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/17 15:48:03 (permalink)
quote:

http://www.food-management.com/news/13316
Link to school nutrition.......
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/17 16:07:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

http://www.food-management.com/news/13316
Link to school nutrition.......

Holy crap...there IS an area where DC Public Schools aren't Failing. C's and D's, but not an F! Wow, and I thought is was all a lost cause.

(~you should know that I say that tongue in cheek - I have taught in DCPS and my wife continues to teach in DCPS. We're some of those people who think the DC schools should be tops in the nation - leading as an example since it's the Capital City, not last)

SurrealGourmet
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/17 16:32:01 (permalink)
Why all this talk about fat grams and calories in the BK Stacker? The Bacon and Cheese Ciabbata Burger from JNTB only has two patties and STILL beat it.

Click on the image to view bigger:

OOPS...it won't enlarge. Anyway...it's 1,140 calories and 79 grams of fat!!!
Riku The Surfer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/20 05:37:15 (permalink)
Don't even get me started on school regulation...I'll go all to hell. (especially if it involves internet topics)

But I would have to agree with tuke though...you don't want your kids to have it...pack their lunch. Simple. And yeah the goverment should regulate and all that, but hey they can only do so much. It is the parents responsibility to regulate a lot of that.

I'm one of those people who hated them regulating the Cookie Monster...c'mon..it's a classic thing for that thing to eat all the cookies...jeez..that's where gov't went wrong with regulation...

Luckly I'm from a high school that had both a salad bar and deli sandwiches...
spicoli
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/20 11:02:32 (permalink)
quote:

Yes, but if the parents don't give kids the extra money, they can't buy from the vending machines. Ulitmately the responsibility to raise children in a healthy/moral/safe manner does not belong to the government. It's the job for the parents.
Man I hate that whole "It takes a village to raise a child" BS.

The thing is that when I was in Jr. High, no one got "extra" money. All the kids would just take their money allotted for their cafeteria lunch and spend it all on Ho-Hos, ice cream and sodas instead of the standard cafeteria food. And that's all they would eat all day.
tuke
Hamburger
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/21 16:34:47 (permalink)
That problem could be circumvented by having the kids bring their lunch from home rather than buy it at school.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/23 01:38:30 (permalink)
Have you seen Supersize Me? Whether or not you agree with other points the movie made (I hope most people on this website would agree than McD's and the other chains suck, but there's all sorts of things that movie brings up that could be debateable) I think the subject of the quality of food in schools is nicely addressed- the school that started giving their students natural, fresh, healthy lunches had better attendance, academic performance, less behavior issues....as I recall, this was an alternative school for kids with learning and behavior problems, so this was a major issue.

The other issue here, regarding it being the parents responsibility- there was just an article in the Chicago Tribune this past week about how poor neighborhoods in Chicago are "food deserts" where the grocery stores are few and far between, but there's plenty of fast food chains and convenience stores in these areas, so the residents get most of their food from there. This leads to poor health, obesity, etc. Someone in the article said it's a huge hassle for them to get on a bus/train, kids in tow, go to the grocery store that's several miles away, get the necessities, schlep it all back on the bus/train....it's impractical and they're out of options.

And to tuke, yeah, the touchy-feely "it takes a village" stuff is annoying, but consider the statistics:
- 1 in 8 kids in the U.S. under 12 goes to bed hungry at night (http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/present/stats.htm)
- 1 in 5 kids live in poverty in the U.S.
(http://www.nypirg.org/homeless/facts.html)
- Recent research indicates that even mild under-nutrition experienced by young children during critical periods of growth may lead to reductions in physical growth and affect brain development
(http://www.nypirg.org/homeless/facts.html)

I could go on, but you get the gist of it. Basically, we're failing the next generation of kids, the ones who could potentially be your doctors when you get old (don't know anything about you, you could be older now.)

Just read your most recent post, just above mine- refer to my "food desert" comment- if the parents can't get the food at home, how can they give it to their kids to take to school?

This topic is a lot broader and serious than "it takes a village" can handle.

tuke
Hamburger
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/24 12:35:30 (permalink)
Children from families who cannot afford to buy/make lunch are placed on a free lunch program. Free lunch does not cover extra snacks and desserts.
As far as Supersize Me is concerned, for the most part it's a crock. The guy ate nothing but Big Mac extra value meals in the largest available size for every meal 30 days straight... then acts like its some big shocking revelation to the audience when he gets sick. Of course you'll get sick from that! But that doesn't mean Mc Donald's and other fast food places should be condemned. Nobody is being forced to eat all of their meals there. You can go a couple times a week and you won't end up like Morgan Spurlock. Sure it might not exactly turn you into the healthiest person alive, but the results from Supersize Me are in no way applicable to any real person.
SurrealGourmet
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/24 17:20:15 (permalink)

quote:

As far as Supersize Me is concerned, for the most part it's a crock. The guy ate nothing but Big Mac extra value meals in the largest available size for every meal 30 days straight... then acts like its some big shocking revelation to the audience when he gets sick.

Did you actually watch Supersize Me or are you just stating stuff you heard about the movie? If you watched it you would realize that he didn't only eat Big Mac meals....he had everything on their menu at least once. He ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there. There are no Big Mac meals offered at breakfast. Secondly, he ONLY..repeat...ONLY super sized the meal if the person taking his order asked him if he would like it super sized. You left out the fact of what it did to his liver in the process. Do you honest think there are people who eat at McDonald's every day? I for one think there are. What it did to his liver was worse than someone who had drank excessive alcohol everyday for a very long period of time. I'm not saying that it's McDonalds fault, and the same would happen if you ate fast food in the fashion that he did but who is the public going to listen about...McDonalds or Captain D's.

Just stating the facts....
billyboy
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/24 18:40:41 (permalink)
Take a look at the book Fast Food Nation and it'll give a you a pretty in depth idea of how the fast food industry is connected and has a major influence on how so many people eat and the farming industry (beef and potatoes in particular). I personally boycott McDonalds on the principle that there is so much good, homemade food around me that is cooked by people who actually care about what goes into their creations and have a passion for it. The whole fast food industry is predicated upon the belief that most people (correctly) don't like change and are afraid to try new and strange things. Its a multi billion dollar industry that guarantees you will get the same meal in Augusta, ME, Tampa, FL, San Diego, CA, Seattle, WA and all points in between. McDonalds is, behind the U.S. government, the #2 purchaser of satellite imagery. They use it to pinpoint the best sites for new franchises based on traffic patterns. Good business for sure, but the ability to have so much influence on what and how we eat and all that money to me should translate into a product that hasn't been processed to the point of adding artificial flavors to to make the food taste like what it is supposed to in the first place. It seems to me that fast food is the antithesis of what Roadfood is all about. Exploring new, strange, different foods made by people who do a few things and do them well. Every once in a while I do get a craving for a fast food fix, then I remember "Two For the Road" and I try to find a new place to go, run by someone with a vision for good food, simply prepared. My two cents (and then some)!
tuke
Hamburger
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/24 20:23:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SurrealGourmet

quote:

As far as Supersize Me is concerned, for the most part it's a crock. The guy ate nothing but Big Mac extra value meals in the largest available size for every meal 30 days straight... then acts like its some big shocking revelation to the audience when he gets sick.

Did you actually watch Supersize Me or are you just stating stuff you heard about the movie? If you watched it you would realize that he didn't only eat Big Mac meals....he had everything on their menu at least once. He ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there. There are no Big Mac meals offered at breakfast. Secondly, he ONLY..repeat...ONLY super sized the meal if the person taking his order asked him if he would like it super sized. You left out the fact of what it did to his liver in the process. Do you honest think there are people who eat at McDonald's every day? I for one think there are. What it did to his liver was worse than someone who had drank excessive alcohol everyday for a very long period of time. I'm not saying that it's McDonalds fault, and the same would happen if you ate fast food in the fashion that he did but who is the public going to listen about...McDonalds or Captain D's.

Just stating the facts....

Ok so maybe I was wrong about the Big Macs but it's all basically the same anyway. And no, I don't honestly believe there is anyone alive who eats at Mc Donald's three times per day every day. My whole argument throughout this post has been that food consumption is a personal choice. All one could and should do is live their life and make their own personal choices... not try to make choices for other people because you think you know whats best for them. Everyone needs to stop pestering fast food chains because nobody is forced to go to them or order anything they don't want to have. Live and let live.
billyboy
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/24 22:04:34 (permalink)
Exactly, and no one is forced to eat the "healthy" options on the menu either. I'm just saying that people going to a fast food place should have an option other than "three OR four all-beef patties" or "fries or larger fries" with that. It's difficult for someone to walk into a FF place and make a "personal choice" between healthy and unhealthy food if the unhealthy is all that there is to choose from. Sure, they could go somewhere else, but most fast food place are about convenience. People on their lunch break from work, or don't have time to sit down at a restaurant or cook a meal because the kids have soccer/piano/insert extracurricular activity here that evening. Believe me, fast food places offering healthy choice like salads, baked potatoes, and such aren't doing so just because of pressure (probably in part), but because they know there is a market for it. No chain introduces a new item unless they have had about a year of focus groups, research groups, and tests telling them that it is going to sell and consequently make them money. My big beef with most chains is that their passion is only to the dollar and not to creating truly good food. To me, good food is about caring what goes into the food, and the experience people have when they go to a place to eat it. FF is so impersonal. I spent about 8 months traveling the U.S. with a children's theater group and ate at many regional "roadfood" style places and kept a hard copy journal of what I ate and the people I met. Just thinking about those places and the people I met brings a smile to my face. I've never had a FF experience bring a smile to my face years later.
tuke
Hamburger
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/24 23:20:53 (permalink)
My gripe isn't with healthier food being offered alongside the other menu options. I agree with you that it is a good thing. What I'm complaining about is when a new menu option is introduced (such as the quad stacker) people go nuts over it and lash out against Burger King, when they can either just not go there or go there and buy a salad or something.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/25 01:06:45 (permalink)
I agree Billyboy; between Supersize Me and Fast Food Nation, I've avoided chain fast food places for several years now...I do occasionally go to places like Subway, but at least it's a little more healthy than the burger places (as long as you don't put cheese or mayo on it) and you get to watch them make the food, so I trust the quality and food safety a little more.

Why go to someplace like McDonald's, BK, whatever and get some low-quality, greasy, dried out, cold, thin rubbery meat, on a soggy bun with not enough veggies (and the ones that are there are half-spoiled), made by some ignorant teenager who was probably picking his nose (or worse) before he made your sandwich, contribute to these soul-less corporations that contribute to the environmental problems we have in the world (cutting down rainforests for ranching, encouraging a disposable society and urban sprawl, non-sustainable agriculture, etc.) and contribute to our society's health problems (hmm, more advertisements for FF places in poor neighborhoods, what a surprise!)

Oh, now they've put four of these meat patties on a bun? Where do I sign up?

Paying an extra couple of bucks for higher quality food, supporting a local business and having a unique experience is worth it! And they have better salads!
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/25 21:50:28 (permalink)
Kind of got off the topic of the original post.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5117
RE: BK Quadruple Stacker 2006/07/25 22:29:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by abe_froeman

Why go to someplace like McDonald's, BK, whatever and get some low-quality, greasy, dried out, cold, thin rubbery meat, on a soggy bun with not enough veggies (and the ones that are there are half-spoiled), made by some ignorant teenager who was probably picking his nose (or worse) before he made your sandwich, contribute to these soul-less corporations that contribute to the environmental problems we have in the world (cutting down rainforests for ranching, encouraging a disposable society and urban sprawl, non-sustainable agriculture, etc.) and contribute to our society's health problems (hmm, more advertisements for FF places in poor neighborhoods, what a surprise!)

I find that many roadfood places hire those same ignorant nosepicking teenagers you speak so well of.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1