BOILED PEANUTS

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Jason Perlow
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/08/06 01:54:10 (permalink)

You are something else. Why don't you take your talents and go to egullet.com.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I don't get it... what did he say that was bad?

And by the way... I RESEMBLE that remark!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/08/11 11:24:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Perlow

You are something else. Why don't you take your talents and go to egullet.com.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I don't get it... what did he say that was bad?

And by the way... I RESEMBLE that remark!

I think you sort of enjoyed being Cletus.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/08/11 11:42:51 (permalink)
I agree with Audjudicator, get buy the peanuts a little on the immature side. The older the peanut the long they take to boil. When you open a green peanut check the skin color, the darker red the older the peanut. You can also tell by looking at the shell. The smoother the shell the younger. I put up 2 bushels every summer and freeze for those unfortunate times when fresh aren't available. I place them in a large stock pot and make sure there is at least 4 inches of water to cover, this alleviates have to add water which weakens your brine. I usually boil about 5 lbs at a time, with half box of salt. Keep in mind the peanuts will not taste salty during the boiling process. Once your peanuts have reached the desired tenderness, completely remove the pot from the heat source, say to another burner(you can actually hear the peanuts pop open and start absorbing the salt water if you put your ear close to the pot, I'm serious). Stir and taste every 5 minutes! This is critical as to not have over salty peanuts. Drain when they are to your satisfaction. If you're brave enough to use a pressure cooker, make sure you have VERY clean peanuts to avoid clogging of the pressure valve. This method only takes 19 minutes. Release all pressure and start the soaking process. Whew!
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/08/15 09:09:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

I put up 2 bushels every summer and freeze for those unfortunate times when fresh aren't available.

What are you freezing? Green goobers or boiled peanuts?

Where I live the farmers market guy who sells tomatoes boils them everyday. Hot and Spicy. He makes up his own stuff, primarily cayenne, salt, and I think a little cumin...he won't tell me. But boy are they some good eating.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1187
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/08/15 09:14:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Boiled peanuts are like most any other food, it is the spice that makes them good. If you boiled peanuts by them selves with no spices, they would be like beans boiled without fatback and onions. tasteless. You gotta add salt, and the spices of your choice. You do that and they are pretty darn good.

Unfortunately if you try to undress them in the car while you drive, it gets messy.

I suggest doing it in a place where a mess does not bother you along with your favoratie libation.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

You've mentioned your favorite libation a few times. With your experience, what libation do you recommend as an ideal accompaniment to your boiled peanuts?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/08/15 09:48:34 (permalink)
jmckee: Libations are like anything else, it is a matter of choice. My personal preference is Canadian with ice, but that is just me. I occasionally have a beer. Bushie was in town the other day and we did a cruise up the Tennessee and we enjoyed a Bud Ice Beer along the way. BTW, we had a non drinking pilot. I believe Bud Ice beer is slightly more alcoholic that regular beer.

That is about it for me as I drink very little else.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/08/23 15:39:16 (permalink)

All this talk about peanuts mixed with hot water and salt has me sitting with a fire and a kettle sitting on it waiting for water to boil.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/08/24 18:58:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PeanutMan

All this talk about peanuts mixed with hot water and salt has me sitting with a fire and a kettle sitting on it waiting for water to boil.

PeanutMan, a friend and I made some boiled peanuts last night using the methods I learned from Sundancer's posts. It's hard to stop eating those little goobers...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/09/05 19:02:27 (permalink)
I guess the latest crop of peanuts are just now available from one of my favorite adjoining states. I just obtained the newest crop and I am currently boiling these wonderful gems on my dock for the upcoming game with Marshal and the University of Tennessee. I am watching the boats go up the lake and enjoying my libation with the boiled peanuts. I put several spices in the water with these wonderful goobers such as onions, hot peppers, salt, BBQ sauce.

I am just about to open these jems and enjoy at my dock

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/11/26 10:17:32 (permalink)
And here it is...thanks Sundancer!!
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/11/26 11:04:08 (permalink)
Ah yes !!! And they are still tasty !!!!!

They are sold at about every little roadside country store in South Carolina !!! They may not always be fresh, but they are always good !!!
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2003/11/26 11:41:30 (permalink)
We are drawn between cold and hot ones. They both are SO good...and yes, the SC ones do seem to be better...Landrum and Edisto Island area to name two.
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/22 09:15:44 (permalink)

Boiled peanuts in a shell is disgusting. This is how peanuts are ruined, they turn into a putrid mush with absolutley no flavor to them at all.

Yuck!
tonemonster2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/22 09:25:27 (permalink)
Sorry guys but I tried boild peanuts in the Smokie Mtns. of NC and nearly blew lunch. I don't understand their appeal !
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/24 15:27:12 (permalink)
Well dudes, it may be a southern thing and perhaps you have to be from the rural south to enjoy. It may be like grits. I have noticed that most people from the north have no appreciation for grits of any kind. I think they view them as sort of unappetizing hick thing, however us poor folks from the woods know better.

Around the Knoxville, Georgia, and South Carolina area, boiled peanuts are available several different ways. Hot, onion, garlic, BBQ and plain. They are a bit messy however tasty. I don't believe or expect everyone to enjoy them but those of us who do really like them.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
clrkaddison
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 01:55:35 (permalink)
On a yearly week long baseball trip a couple years back i had the pleasure of trying boiled peanuts at a Greenville Braves game and i thought they were one of the best things this Chicago kid ever ate with a beer. They were just plain (salted) but damn were they ever GOOD! On the same trip i ate a hotdog with chili and coleslaw for the first time at an Asheville Tourists game. At first i was apprehensive considering us Chicago folks have definite ideas about what does and doesn't go on a hotdog, but you folks know how to eat! we are going down to Chattanooga for a family reunion this june because it is centrally located between Chicago, Houston and Loxahatchee(fla). Will i find boiled peanuts there? any local vittles i should try?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 05:00:21 (permalink)
clrKaddison: I cannot tell you if you will find boiled peanuts in Chattanooga, but be sure to try the Sunset Inn for BBQ. It does not open until around 4:00PM but their ribs are excellent. In addition downtown Chattanooga over toward the aquarium is really neat with a whole lotta fun places to eat.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 05:19:46 (permalink)
Well a while back I made it to Florida and found all the boiled gems I could eat. Even this time of year they are on about every corner. I found them all over North Carolina but they were not fresh HOWEVER, they were still a sight for sore eyes. Finally got the little big lady to enjoy them. Now she even spots the stands before I do.
gottatravel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 07:31:42 (permalink)
While living in Hawaii I would eat boiled peanuts at times. Never having eaten any outside of Hawaii I am wondering if there is a differance in style and or texture. Anyone have thoughts on this.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 08:12:13 (permalink)
Gottatravel:P Since you did not described what you had in Hawaii, I will tell you that they are essentially just put in a pot and boiled. Most of the time you can get them seasoned in the pot with hot sauce, garic, onion or some type of Cajun seasoning. In my opinion, they are better just boiled in a brine solution.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 09:06:56 (permalink)
I agree, just salt water boiled is tops in my book. I have had them in just about every way known to man and some that my wife came up with.. Lord help me and The salted boild IN THE SHELL peanut are tops in my book. I did find some that were out of the shell boiled and I couldn't even attempt to try them.
I like the Florida Runners for boiling. The Jumbo's are to tough and take to long to boil in my opinion.
Glad to see this thread kicking again.
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 09:52:48 (permalink)
At the company I work at, eating boiled peanuts is somewhat of a right of passage. My boss shoved some across the desk to me. I didn't love them at first but I knew I would. Kind of like oysters.

The first time I bought them for myself was at the headwaters of the Ichituckney River up by Gainsville, about 23 years ago. This old man had a rig set up alongside the road. The bed of his pickup was full of the peanuts still on the vine, talk about fresh.

I think it is a southern thing only because of availability. Salt is the dominate factor for me. Too little salt and they are bland.

Sometimes the peanuts stick to the shell which makes them difficult to eat. Does anyone have an idea why this happens?

We bought raw peanuts at the grocery to take north with us one year. They were in a styrofoam tray and wrapped in plastic. 5 days later when we went to cook them for our northern relatives they were moldy. Darn.

Cakes
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 10:08:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

At the company I work at, eating boiled peanuts is somewhat of a right of passage. My boss shoved some across the desk to me. I didn't love them at first but I knew I would. Kind of like oysters.

The first time I bought them for myself was at the headwaters of the Ichituckney River up by Gainsville, about 23 years ago. This old man had a rig set up alongside the road. The bed of his pickup was full of the peanuts still on the vine, talk about fresh.

I think it is a southern thing only because of availability. Salt is the dominate factor for me. Too little salt and they are bland.

Sometimes the peanuts stick to the shell which makes them difficult to eat. Does anyone have an idea why this happens?

We bought raw peanuts at the grocery to take north with us one year. They were in a styrofoam tray and wrapped in plastic. 5 days later when we went to cook them for our northern relatives they were moldy. Darn.

Cakes

Peanuts that stick to the shell are older peanuts, you'll notice how dark the skin is. The lighter the skin, the younger. Also, when they're younger they'll absorbe the saltiness of the brine better. Yes, Florida Runners and Valencia's are the best(3-4 peanuts per nut, "hog" peanuts, 2 to a nut). Also, peanuts don't have but about a 2-3 day fridge life. After that they begin to get slimy!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 17:02:14 (permalink)
The worst thing about boiled peanuts is you cannot consume while you are driving unless you really want to trash your car. I cannot handle that as I am a clean car freak.

I like to get them right out of the boiling pot and have them with a little evening libation. I like to consume them where a mess is not a issue.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 17:30:38 (permalink)
Ort. On U.S. 441, just south of Athens are several roadside stands, selling fruits and vegetables, new harvest Vidalias, jellies, and boiled peanuts. I always stop at one operated by a man I call Mr. Haney. His covered stand is in his front yard, and it's a pleasure sitting around talking with him while slurping some of his flavorable boiled peanuts. If you want to visit him this spring and summer, I'll try to dig up his name for you.
gottatravel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 19:34:16 (permalink)
Sundancer7,
What they were was just as you describe. peanuts boiled in a brine, (water and hawaiian salt) I assume. I would always stop at this one place before the University of Hawaii baseball games and load up with boiled peanuts and some kine of poki. Yum Yum!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 20:45:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Ort. On U.S. 441, just south of Athens are several roadside stands, selling fruits and vegetables, new harvest Vidalias, jellies, and boiled peanuts. I always stop at one operated by a man I call Mr. Haney. His covered stand is in his front yard, and it's a pleasure sitting around talking with him while slurping some of his flavorable boiled peanuts. If you want to visit him this spring and summer, I'll try to dig up his name for you.

Jim,
Thanks a million! Those stands are along the stretch between Watkinsville and Bishop, then again after Bishop and by Farmington - all in Oconee County. Madison is about 12 miles on south of that stretch, and Athens about 12 miles north.
Appreciatively, Ort. in 30601.
Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/27 21:08:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Well dudes, it may be a southern thing and perhaps you have to be from the rural south to enjoy. It may be like grits. I have noticed that most people from the north have no appreciation for grits of any kind.

One grit or two? I remember being at Durgin-Park in Boston at one of the communal tables, sitting next to a family from the Deep South. They thought Indian pudding was really weird ... until we suggested they think of it as a form of grits.

South Carolina's "creamy grits" is a food of the gods!
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 02:23:50 (permalink)
Some people put SUGAR in grits.. yes, it's true! Back to P-nuts, I finally taught my wife how to eat them with one hand and to keep your car clean just put the shells in a bag. I too am a clean car freak but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Also, when it comes to peanuts sticking, I have found that they have not been boiled long enough, that too will cause them to stick.
___
Anyone remember the song "Found a peanut, Found a peanut, Found a peanut, yes I did?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 08:18:13 (permalink)
I don't totally understand how folks can make a living selling boiled peanuts, but they do. No matter which way you travel into the Smokies, there is always vendors selling boiled peanuts often with elaborate trailers.

They use to sell those things in junky places but they are going more upscale now with BBQ like trailers with chrome and whitewalls. Go figure. No tables with white table cloths, but you know what I mean.

One guy I saw had a trailer with four 50 gallon barrells. He had them all going. I bought a bag of each flavor. The best were still plain and boiled in salt brine.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1