BOILED PEANUTS

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 09:18:19 (permalink)
A hint when buying peanuts from roadside stands, if peanuts are not in season, alot of people will boil and freeze the year before then re-boil and sell during the off season. The usual results are still a fine tasting peanut. I request a sample before buying. If the outer shell is a dark brown color and looks to be partially opened at the "eye" the peanuts have been re-boiled on more than one occasion and generally tastes . This can actually apply when peanuts are in season. It all depends on how much business a person gets in a day. If a person has a slow day selling, you'll probably get the same peanuts on the next selling day. Look for LIGHT color shells, those are your freshest!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 09:21:43 (permalink)
Rusty, thanks for the hint. It seems that all I ever bought were dark?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 09:24:37 (permalink)
If you buy a bushel for 27 bucks, the average cost here in Cent. Florida, you just boil them and add salt or what ever and sell them for 3 bbucks a cup. Killer money is made if you have good goobers. Some charge more and some less but the average is a big styro cup for 2.50 to 3.
Steves Peanuts has a fleet. He is in every flea market in Florida and dang near every major intersection.
UM UM UM.
Rusty246
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 09:41:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PeanutMan

If you buy a bushel for 27 bucks, the average cost here in Cent. Florida, you just boil them and add salt or what ever and sell them for 3 bbucks a cup. Killer money is made if you have good goobers. Some charge more and some less but the average is a big styro cup for 2.50 to 3.
Steves Peanuts has a fleet. He is in every flea market in Florida and dang near every major intersection.
UM UM UM.

I agree 100% on everything you've said Peanut Man. Steve's is everywhere. I like the fried peanuts best. I prefer to boil my own but when traveling Steve's boiled will do in a pinch. Used to get them on the way back from Cresent Beach but that stand in no longer there. We have a peanut processing plant in a small town near here called Williston. I've thought about buying a couple of bushels this season and selling boiled peanuts on weekends. We live right across the street from a ball park and have alot of activity over there during the summer months. I have one propane cooker, thinking about getting another. Presentation is everything. You must have one pot ready to sell and one cookin' up. I've seen people that will bag them adn put them in coolers hot. I like the "cup" method myself. I bought some in Cedar Key once. Good Ol' Boys, they gave me a cup full, 4 paper towels AND a lunch size paper sack for the shells. Couldn't beat that! I think I could pull it off relativly cheap. I think I'd charge $3 per cup. I'd weigh the cup full BEFORE boiling, compare that to how much I paid per pound for the peanuts then come up with my selling price. Salt is petty. Not sure if I would provide the bags and paper towels, nice asset though.
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 09:57:31 (permalink)
My wife is in Williston today as a matter of fact, then off to Old Town to check out our RV park. We DO sell peanuts there :) I live right on Lake George in Florida and also have a place in Texas on the river. While I am in Florida if you would like to go chase some bass or catfish or croppie just let me know @ catfishin@ev1.net
Rusty246
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 10:18:19 (permalink)
I've been across Lake George before! Had to deliver a house boat from Astor Park to Melbourne one Memorial Day weekend, about 10 of us. None of us had ANY fun! Been through Old Town many times on the way to Cross City(don't ask). LOVE all the above types of fish. To catch and eat(note consummption of food here)! Might have to take you up on the offer.
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 19:38:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

I've been across Lake George before! Had to deliver a house boat from Astor Park to Melbourne one Memorial Day weekend, about 10 of us. None of us had ANY fun! Been through Old Town many times on the way to Cross City(don't ask). LOVE all the above types of fish. To catch and eat(note consummption of food here)! Might have to take you up on the offer.

Hey, don't toss Old Town asside. We have a great RV park there it is an old fish camp and quite nice. Here in Lake George it is mostly crabs this time of year that get your bait but we can catch them with a net as they come up. Email me at catfishin@ev1.net if you want to fish the St. Johns or the Suwanee. If you want to fish Texas, hell I will fish there too. Just say the word and I will offer you a motorhome and car to drive around with!
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 19:42:49 (permalink)
I cook my fish like normal folk.. just a little different. I use Pancake batter but sub the milk for BEER. IT pulls out any game taste and makes a great batter. I add a little corn meal to the batter and then cook it in a short fry, thus being a quarter inch of oil. I then do the same with the hushpuppies and then scramble eggs and spladow!!!! You got breakfast! But don't forget the grits with cheese on top!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/28 19:54:53 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

UM UM UM.

I agree 100% on everything you've said Peanut Man. Steve's is everywhere. I like the fried peanuts best. I prefer to boil my own but when traveling Steve's boiled will do in a pinch. Used to get them on the way back from Cresent Beach but that stand in no longer there. We have a peanut processing plant in a small town near here called Williston. I've thought about buying a couple of bushels this season and selling boiled peanuts on weekends. We live right across the street from a ball park and have alot of activity over there during the summer months. I have one propane cooker, thinking about getting another. Presentation is everything. You must have one pot ready to sell and one cookin' up. I've seen people that will bag them adn put them in coolers hot. I like the "cup" method myself. I bought some in Cedar Key once. Good Ol' Boys, they gave me a cup full, 4 paper towels AND a lunch size paper sack for the shells. Couldn't beat that! I think I could pull it off relativly cheap. I think I'd charge $3 per cup. I'd weigh the cup full BEFORE boiling, compare that to how much I paid per pound for the peanuts then come up with my selling price. Salt is petty. Not sure if I would provide the bags and paper towels, nice asset though.

Rusty: Tell this rural East Tennessee boy about fried peanuts. We are not there yet.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2004/01/29 00:30:01 (permalink)
Ort., The produce stand south of Athens, on U.S. 441 was at Bishop. And the gentleman who owned it was a Mr. Bishop. His place is on the east side of the highway.

Oddly enough, when I first stopped there, I was with my Athens' friend, a transplanted Michigander whose last name is Bishop.
Rusty246
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2005/02/17 09:50:39 (permalink)
Went into my local hometown grocer lsat night and lo and behold WE HAVE GREEN PEANUTS ALREADY! I scooped up about 10lbs and went home and boiled every last one of them, and, will go back for a bushel tonight. They were .98 a pound which is VERY cheap and they are excellent in quality. Full and just mature enough to be good and juicy(yes, I'm still talking peanuts!) I feel like I struck the motherlode. I'm eating some as I type and if my IT guy comes in and see my keyboard he'll surely flip!
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/10 19:47:46 (permalink)
Simple method..

I haven't read all the postings on this but my grandson and I came up with this really good method.

Raw or green peanuts
2 tablespoons sea salt

Put slow cooker liner in crock pot add the above ingredients, cover with hot/warm wter and cook on high for 6+ hours.. put a heat-safe saucer on top to weight the dry peanuts down. Loosely fold over the bag and let them rip....

We always put them on in the morning and checked them around 5:00 p.m. If they're not soft enough let them keep cooking.. The lenght of time will be according the type of peanuts you use.

We haven't searched out the road side stands since we came up with this method.

It CAN be done in a pot on the stove top but it just takes too much 'watching'..
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/10 20:22:54 (permalink)
I was born in Tennessee but still do not appreciate boiled peanuts, I think they're nasty. Fried peanuts, that's another story. Are boiled peanuts an acquired taste?
debdog42
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/15 08:16:22 (permalink)
Funny I should find this post right now! I live in the northwest and have ony had canned/pouch boiled peanuts and wanted to try making my own. I spent many hours online trying to find a reasonable place to purchase raw peanuts and finally bought here:
http://whitleyspeanut.com/vcart/itemblock/?itemblock=37
My 5 lb bag just came today (their prices include shipping!) and I'm gonna use this recipe to cook mine:

Boiled Peanuts

1-1/2 quarts raw peanuts
1/2 cup salt*
2-1/2 quarts water

Wash peanuts until water runs clear. Put nuts in crockpot. Add salt and water. Stir well. Cover and cook on high for 5 to 7 hours. If necessary, add additional water to keep peanuts covered.

*The peanuts will get saltier the longer they sit in their cooking liquid.
Rusty246
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/15 08:58:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by debdog42

Funny I should find this post right now! I live in the northwest and have ony had canned/pouch boiled peanuts and wanted to try making my own. I spent many hours online trying to find a reasonable place to purchase raw peanuts and finally bought here:
http://whitleyspeanut.com/vcart/itemblock/?itemblock=37
My 5 lb bag just came today (their prices include shipping!) and I'm gonna use this recipe to cook mine:

Boiled Peanuts

1-1/2 quarts raw peanuts
1/2 cup salt*
2-1/2 quarts water

Wash peanuts until water runs clear. Put nuts in crockpot. Add salt and water. Stir well. Cover and cook on high for 5 to 7 hours. If necessary, add additional water to keep peanuts covered.

*The peanuts will get saltier the longer they sit in their cooking liquid.

"Raw" peanuts? I wish you luck, "green" peanuts are what you need. Did those instructions come with your peanuts? I guess it could work, you'll have alot of boiling time I guessing. With green peanuts it shouldn't take anymore than 45 minutes to an hour depending on how fresh they are. I'm really interested to know how yours turn out. Please keep me(us)posted.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/15 09:21:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shortchef

Are boiled peanuts an acquired taste?

nope. I loved them right from the start.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6202
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/15 09:24:16 (permalink)
I agree...I've only had them a few times when I've been down south...but I always get them and enjoy them!!!!
Rusty246
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/15 09:28:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

quote:

UM UM UM.

Mr. Sundancer:
They are "raw" peanuts that are deep fried and salted.

Rusty: Tell this rural East Tennessee boy about fried peanuts. We are not there yet.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rusty246
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/15 09:30:22 (permalink)
Mr. Sundancer:

I don't know how my reply got lost up there in past posts but fried peanuts are just "raw" peanuts deep fried and salted.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/15 16:48:04 (permalink)
quote:

Mr. Sundancer:

I don't know how my reply got lost up there in past posts but fried peanuts are just "raw" peanuts deep fried and salted.

I was in North Carolina today and they were at about every convenience store I stopped at.

I bought them and you can eat the shells and all. Great with evening libation.

Paul E. Smith
Rusty246
RE: BOILED PEANUTS 2008/07/15 16:55:27 (permalink)
We call the ones you eat shells and all "pops" as they are immature peanuts and you just pop the whole thing in your mouth. Makes me want a beer.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1