BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th

Author
karilyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
2012/06/21 20:16:29 (permalink)

BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th

Still ironing out details but you can at least mark your calendars.  We're sticking to the 2nd Thursday of the month.

We're hoping to pick a location closer to Providence to pick up some attendees who have a longer drive to Boston.  The suggestion box is accepting mail!

Last  month we hit three places in East Boston, all Peruvian.   Pollos A La Brasa El Chalan - amazing rotisserie chicken.  Rincon Limeno Restaurant, more selections of Peruvian dishes in a more upscale setting.  Frio Rio, a Peruvian convenience store known for their frozen desserts  - unusual ice cream flavors and traditional shaved ices complete with hot sauce!  And of all things, both halves of Ayersian are in Peru as I type this.  They can fill us in on how authentic the food was that we ate.

28 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7677
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/21 22:34:41 (permalink)
    If we decide on Rhode Island- Providence (or Pawtucket) would be the safest bet. Like Boston, let's try something different from the iconic Rhode Island favorites- frankly other than Italian, most Rhode Islanders simply don't do the iconic stuff.

Perhaps Thai...?
    http://www.apsara-palace.com/Welcome.html

or Indian...?

http://www.kabobandcurry.com/

or Greek??

http://andreasri.com/

I went to this place a while back and really enjoyed it- perhaps some Venezuelan?

http://www.laarepari.com/

Here's a place I've been dieing to try- an Ethiopian Restaurant that opened just over a year ago and four star reviews on  yelp!

http://www.abyssinia-restaurant.com/

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/22 10:05:17 (permalink)
    Gregg's Restaurant is a local chain noted across RI for their desserts.

www.greggsusa.com/menu/desserts
    paulde
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/23 14:43:56 (permalink)
    The Greek or Venezuelan places would be my picks.  Not a fan of Indian but would also try Ethiopian if they don't use Cumin.  How about some Portuguse.  I am very farmilar with New Bedford and Fall River but not so much the RI places. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/24 10:44:44 (permalink)
    Paulde

Not  a problem.

I don't recall Ethiopian food using cumin. It's probably more similar to middle eastern stuff. 

I couldn't link up Gregg's Restaurant last time.
    it's a favorite among Rhode Islanders for cakes and pies.
    https://greggsusa.com/menu/desserts

Another huge favorite here in Rhode Island is Haruki for sushi. I've been there a couple of times and thought it was ok, it just simply couldn't compare to what I enjoyed in Southern California.
    http://www.harukisushi.com/about_east.html

Or if anyone wants to try something more iconic- there's the roadfood favorite- Caserta's Pizza.

http://casertapizza.com/

asegidoc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/24 11:39:15 (permalink)
    if providence, try Los Andes a fantastic Peuvian/Bolivian restaurant on Chalkstone Ave---A true hidden jewel!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/25 08:25:24 (permalink)
    Asegidoc

I'm not familiar with Los Andes.
    Roadfooders Ayersian, who regularly attend the Boston monthly meetups  are currently in Peru so it may be interesting to find out their take or if it would measure up.

Paulde

I forgot to mention, Fall River and New Bedford may be a little too far out of the way for those coming from West or North of Boston. However there are a few Portuguese restaurants in East Providence, I haven't been to any of them however I've never seen or heard anything negative.

One of my favorite restaurants in Rhode Island, Spain Restaurant actually has two locations, one in Cranston and one down in Narragansett, although I wouldn't walk in with Jeans and a T -Shirt- Polo and Khaki's are fine though.

http://www.spainrestaurantri.com/
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/06/25 08:26:30
    asegidoc
    Junior Burger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/25 17:03:25 (permalink)
    wandering jew, I have eaten at Los Andes over 25 times(it is right next to my hospital)
    I promise a fantastic, reasonably priced experience at this family owned gem!
    paulde
    Hamburger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/28 21:14:10 (permalink)
    WJ

Hey Dale….. sounds like you have a good handle on the area. Why don't you suggest an itinerary and see who we can coax down to RI. If you can manage to get in a "REAL GOOD" stuffie that would be great.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/06/29 08:12:51 (permalink)
    Paulde

Karilyn and I had e-mailed eachother, and we agreed I'll followup with Bethgrd sometime over the weekend via e-mail to put together a final plan.
    A "REAL GOOD" stuffie? I thought we were going to eat like locals?
    Honestly, I can't think of any really good places in Providence or Pawtucket.
    There used to be a great bar called "Stuffies Bar and Grill" in North Providence that had 3 types of stuffies, they had the regular stuffie, the portuguese stuffie and the seafood stuffie. This would have been exactly what you're looking for but they've been closed for about 5 years.

I've had many, many stuffies since I've moved to Rhode Island (and before hand too) My personal favorite for a stuffie is a very "locals" out of the way place that's always packed
    The Crow's Nest in Warwick
     http://crowsnestri.com/

It's not anywhere near where we are going to be, but for me it's on the way to Providence. If you want to swing by there early ( I can probably meet you there before 5pm)  let me know
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/06/29 08:26:12
    karilyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/01 20:32:28 (permalink)
    Real Estate continues to overwhelm me this week and into next . . . BUT I am definitely attending.  Beth is a no . . . Heather is a yes.  Again, thanks Wanderingjew and Paulde for putting this one together.  Can't wait to hear about the travels of Ayersian !!!

So excited about Roadfood in CT this September!!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/02 08:23:47 (permalink)
    I'll hold off on finalizing our itinerary pending a consultation with Paulde
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/06 14:57:12 (permalink)
    Ok,

I just spoke with Paulde

Here's the final plan

We'll be starting at  5PM at the Crows Nest in Warwick
    www.crowsnestri.com
    Those who want to join us are more than welcome.

Then we will all meet at 6:15 pm at Abyssinia in Providence for Ethiopian cuisine
    http://abyssinia-restaurant.com/
    And we'll finish off with something iconic at the Roodfood favorite Cassertas on federal fill for pizza, wimpy skippy's and pigs in a blanket

http://casertapizza.com/

Why don't we get a definite head count???

karilyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/07 13:25:56 (permalink)
    Thank you boys for mapping out a plan!!!!

Heather and I are both coming!!!!  We may have one more . . . I'll let you know if we do.

See you Thursday in Rhode Island!
    asegidoc
    Junior Burger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/07 15:45:33 (permalink)
    Casertas is a classic for sure< but the ceviche at Los Andes a mile away is a better way to end a summer trip!
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 899
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/07 18:30:10 (permalink)
    WJ, we have returned safely from South America and are definitely looking forward to chowing down with you all next week!  This itinerary sounds great, so we'll start fasting in preparation...  Chris
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/08 09:08:15 (permalink)
    Chris,

Glad you and Amy had a fantastic trip, as you know I was following along on facebook. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures 
    paulde
    Hamburger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/09 16:52:28 (permalink)
    Hope you can all make it to the Crow’s Nest.  Welcome back Chris and Amy and glad you will be attending.  I will see if my daughter can get free and join us.  I have been in Wareham last week and this week.  Made a few trips to New Bedford and 1 to Fall River.  I will fill you in on the details Thursday.

Paulde
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/11 08:46:57 (permalink)
    Ok,

Looks like it will be Karilyn and Heather
    Paul and possibly his daughter
    Chris and Amy
    and yours truly.

I asked my friend Mike and his wife, Lori to join us (some of you met Mike in Worcester) but they are new homeowners and also have a "bun in the oven" so they are busy doing new homeowners stuff.

So there will be 6, or possibly 7 of us.

See everyone tomorrow!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/11 12:20:23 (permalink)
    Looking forward to the report! I live vicariously thru you people!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/12 12:49:56 (permalink)
    Almost forgot.

For anyone who still has an appetite left after Casserta's

A stop at  Pastiche- just steps away is a must !
    http://www.pastichefinedesserts.com/home.html
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/13 18:16:15 (permalink)
    Three cheers for Wanderingjew and Paulde for putting together such a great line-up of Rhode Island classics and exotic cuisine for all of us last night!  We began at Dale's local haunt, The Crow's Nest in Warwick, for stuffies and these tawny clam cakes:

Karilyn & Heather began the evening with lobster rolls and clam chowder:

Then we all drove into Providence for Ethiopian fare at Abyssinia. We began this culinary tour with Kategna, deep-fried injera chips topped with mitmita spice and served with a garlic and cilantro-herbed Greek yogurt dip (descriptions from their menu):

Everyone completely devoured these Lamb Sambussas, with fresh ground lamb spiced with onions, garlic, ginger and fresh mint, hand-wrapped in two thin pastry shells and fried to a golden brown:

A close second place were these Sikwar Dinich Tibs, an adaptation of Ojojo, a popular East African snack. Two deep fried yam cakes with tomato, onion, and cilantro:

For entrees we tried the Doro Wot, traditionally cut, bone-in chicken marinated in lemon, stewed in a berbere sauce, flavored with
    onions and garlic, spiced with metin kemun, an Ethiopian blend of spices, and finished with savory qibe butter. Garnished with a hard-boiled egg and ayib, Ethiopian cottage cheese. Considered the ‘signature dish’ of Ethiopian cuisine:

And the meat combo platter, which included a beef dish and samplings of the veggie dishes (lentils, chickpeas, collards, cabbage, beets, et al.):

Resembling the rolled-up finger towels we were given later (!), injera bread was served with all of this, a spongy sourdough pancake of sorts that you tear off and pick up the food with instead of forks.  Its texture is very close to Maine ployes:

As a review framed on their wall stated, Abyssinia is helping Providence to shake its "only Italian food" reputation:

Next: dessert before dinner #2!
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/14 14:06:19 (permalink)
    What is a snuggery, exactly? Thanks to eagle-eyed Karilyn and Heather, we found out after dinner at Abyssinia. Across the street they led us to the Duck & Bunny Snuggery for cupcakes. They had already dug into their cakes by the time I thought to take a picture, but we chose the Banana Nutella and a Carrot Cake mini:

Duck & Bunny is a cool place to eat and drink and, well, snuggle.  Karilyn struck up a conversation with a patron seated next to the cupcake counter, and I thought for sure she was going to get a snuggle out of it, but she only got laughter in return!  Karilyn let us try their Red Velvet and Salted Caramel cupcakes, and they were really delicious. Their menu emphasizes light fare like crepes, tea sandwiches, salads, etc. But what we really want to try -- and this will warrant a return trip soon -- is their New York System Hot Wiener Omelette (drool!):

We then drove across town for dinner #2 at Caserta Pizzeria:

What is a Wimpy Skippy? It's a spinach turnover with pepperoni and cheese:

The spinach was too bitter for my taste, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. The pig-in-a-blanket disappeared even faster:

Caserta's famous pizza came next, a thick crusty pie with splotches of tomato sauce and cheese. We ordered ours half-cheese, half-pepperoni, and interestingly enough, they don't offer sausage as a topping -- though the sausage links in the pig-in-a-blanket were quite tasty:

Caserta is very informal, with canned sodas and paper plates. I think the majority of patrons was working on full pies, too. When they started flipping chairs around us, that was our cue to leave!

Another grand time was had by all, and many thanks again to WJ and Paulde for arranging this special Rhode Island expedition!  The Boston Monthly Meet-Up is always on the second Thursday of the month -- next meeting is Thursday, August 9.  Hope to see you all there!    Chris
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/15 11:25:12 (permalink)
    Ayersian,

Thanks for posting the photos. 

I committed a Wanderingjew Faux Pas- its the 2nd one in a month ! " />- the other one I committed in West Virginia when I went to Ritzy's Lunch. Anyway, as it turns out, Pastiche was open until 11 PM, I thought it was too late to go when we left Caserta's because I thought they closed at 10 PM
    paulde
    Hamburger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/15 12:47:44 (permalink)
    Dale deserves the credit for this meet up.  My sole contribution was to suggest a stop for a “STUFFIE”.  I enjoyed the pizza at Caserta but the highlight for me was the food at Abyssinia. I thought everything we had was very tasty.  Enjoyed seeing the RF gang and hope to see you at the next event.
    Chris…..Thanks for the great pictures.
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/16 09:46:08 (permalink)
    What an interesting and varied group of dishes.  I'll take a lamb sambussa and a "Wimpy Skippy", please!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/16 10:02:14 (permalink)
    You ate all of this in one night!?! I'll take some of that lamb dish too!
    karilyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/17 11:14:39 (permalink)
    We're so lucky that we have our own paparazzo up here in MA . . . thank you Chris for doing the honors.  I love your photo journalism skills!  And thank you Dale and Paul for putting together the itinerary.  

I found Duck & Bunny on my list . . . I intend to go back there one afternoon for their high tea.  My salted caramel cupcake is worth a return trip as well!  Happy travels . . . see you and Amy in September!

Dale . . . look out your window and let me know if you see any kayakers!!!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:BOSTON-ISH MONTHLY MEET UP . . . Thursday, July 12th 2012/07/17 11:55:44 (permalink)
    Karilyn

Unfortunately I'm at work right now and there's not much scenery, all I see is the Route 4/I 95 merge through the trees.
    Oh, you mean my "condo" window!
    I''ve yet to see a kayak, canoe or rowboat. Sail boats - lots of them, But that's about it. Sorry....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1