BREAKING NEWS!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15233
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2011/12/18 09:57:05 (permalink)
Jim,
Yeah the bulletin about JFK caught me in a Freshman 'Pysch 101' class in the old Academic Building at Salem State College, Salem, MA. The impact of the news was staggering, but the reaction of the girl sitting at the desk beside mine was the thing that comes to mind whenever I am reminded of the incident...She screamed over and over then puked all over herself and the desk.  The things you recall can sometimes haunt you !
   I do recall the night the air-war of Desert Storm began, with the CNN reports in Bagdad broadcasting live during the air-raids. I sat up all night watching the reports.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7840
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2011/12/18 18:08:18 (permalink)
Al, I did the very same thing.  It just amazed me that I was watching it as it was happening.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2011/12/18 18:59:54 (permalink)
mayor al

Jim,
Yeah the bulletin about JFK caught me in a Freshman 'Pysch 101' class in the old Academic Building at Salem State College, Salem, MA. The impact of the news was staggering, but the reaction of the girl sitting at the desk beside mine was the thing that comes to mind whenever I am reminded of the incident...She screamed over and over then puked all over herself and the desk.  The things you recall can sometimes haunt you !
  I do recall the night the air-war of Desert Storm began, with the CNN reports in Bagdad broadcasting live during the air-raids. I sat up all night watching the reports.

Your mentioning that girl brought back another detail for me.  The only one in our class that was upset was a girl who happened to be the only Catholic in our section.  The rest of us felt deprived that we would not be seeing JFK debate Goldwater in 1964.  As hard as it may be for some younger to realize, goldwater was actually leading Kennedy in the polls as the 1964 election approached.  Even though present recounting of the Cuban Missile Crisis now makes Kennedy a "hero", those of us who lived through that true "near death" experience rather resented the fact that the Russians thought JFK so weak that they could get away with crap they never would have dared under Eisenhower.  My chemistry teacher had the best take on the tragedy:  "Damn it.  Now they'll make him to out to be great".  Indeed.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2011/12/18 19:05:52 (permalink)
Big Don:

I always loved Alberini's.  What a treat it was to go there in the '70's & '80's.  My last visit there in 2004 was a disappointment as they were experimenting with a "haute cuisine" menu.  My dish was vile.  I just checked their menu and I am glad to see the "standards" back, including steaks.  I intend, therefore, to visit again next time I am in town for golf.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2011/12/18 20:12:50 (permalink)
I was 4 years old when the "breaking news"came on about Kennedy's assasination-I was watching Queen for a Day" in the basement while Mom was upstairs vacuuming and listening to the stereo.I remember the vacuum turning off and hearing Mom crying. I also remember the breaking news of the earth quake in San Francisco; my parents were there for a conference. Took me 2 days to get thru by phone, but they were okay.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2011/12/20 16:57:00 (permalink)
And then there was that Tuesday morning when I was, as usual, listening to Howard Stern.  Stuttering John ran in and said "A plane hit the World Trade Center".  Howard asked, "What, some drunk in a Piper Cub?".  "No man, it's on CNN; tons of smoke!".  At that point I ran downstairs and turned on CNN just in time to see the second plane hit.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/12/20 16:59:52
mar52
Sirloin
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2012/01/11 14:13:16 (permalink)
Just had a BREAKING NEWS interuption on my television.

There is a building on fire in North Bergen, NJ.

I'll be sure not to drive by there today.

HUH??????
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18370
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2012/01/11 14:18:01 (permalink)
You moved? Perhaps you should change your Location on here. It still shows you as being in California.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2012/01/11 14:23:10 (permalink)
Nope, that's why I'm confused.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2012/01/11 17:41:49 (permalink)
mar52

Nope, that's why I'm confused.

Ask Dr. George, he's a Dr. so he's obviously smart, he'll figure it out, while wiggling his mustache!

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 724
Re:BREAKING NEWS!!! 2012/01/18 03:10:36 (permalink)
THIS JUST IN...

Hello, I'm Dan Lather...

According to a study by a few senior interns at DBI (the Dubious Research Institute), at least half of what viewers see on television is pure bullsh!t...

These facts came to light after it was discovered last week that the viewing public is actually losing faith in what their tv's tell them...

We talked with a typical housewife, Jane Dough of Lordsburg, New Mexico, who said "I find this hard to believe. I depend on my television to give me the info I need on a daily basis. Now you say my TV has been lying to me all this time ? You now say the political polls are rigged, that CSPAN coverage of Congress is actually a sophisticated Animatronics movie set by Disney, the Apollo "moon landings" were filmed in Death Valley by the CIA, and that Dick Clark is merely a hologram at the Smithsonian...I don't know  what  I can believe in anymore. And to think I let this tv into my home, and now I feel so violated...I think I want my tv to leave and never come back" ...

Professor I.W. Harper thinks it's a possible "credibility gap", but is still not convinced that most of "Prime Time" programming is just a bunch of crap that adds little to the vital information that's rumored real people allegedly want...

Television programming that actually adds to the quality of life of viewers is still possible in theory according to Harper, but to be sure he proposes a study be conducted of the most underserved tv audience: the Amish...

To explore this issue in depth, tune in tonight to Geraldo as he conducts an in depth interview with Lindsey Lohan, Kim Kardashian, Pee Wee Herman, Dr Phil, and Krusty The Klown...

Is it possible that real life is a parody of what we see on TV...???

Film at 11...

We now return to our normal programming... but we'll be back in half an hour with continuing coverage and analysis...

post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/01/18 03:19:35
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1