BURLINGTON, VT.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
RandellButts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2007/01/22 12:26:38 (permalink)

BURLINGTON, VT.

THINKING ABOUT A FISHING TRIP TO LAKE CHAMPLAIN. I'LL BE STAYING IN THE BURLINGTON AREA MOST LIKELY. I LIKE ALL KINDS OF FOOD, BUT STEAK AND SEAFOOD ARE MY FAVORITES. I'D APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS.

THANKS!

32 Replies Related Threads

Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/25 18:32:50 (permalink)
    I live in Burlington, and here are my favorites:

Sirloin Sirloon - Great steaks !
    Three Tomatoes- Italian
    Penny Cluse Cafe- Breakfast and Lunch
    RiRa's - Irish Pub has great Fish and Chips
    Vermont Pub and Brewery- Great Wings and Pub Grub.
    Uncommon Grounds- Best Coffee, but there is a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Muddy Waters, Speeder and Earls. All good.
    Shanty on the Shore. Good Fried Seafood.
    Single Pebble- Super Asian Cuisine
    Al's French Fry's- Best Fry's on the face of the earth !
    Nector's - Super Fry's and Gravy. Wonderful Hot Turkey S'wich. Home of the band Phish.
    Ben and Jerry's will do in a pinch !

Many, many more.......let me know what you like !
    mollydingle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/25 21:23:59 (permalink)
    Don't forget to head down the road to either Harrington's or Dakin Farm for smokehouse goodies and cheese...
    The Vermont Pub and Brewery used to make an AWESOME Scotch ale. Do they still?
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/25 21:31:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mollydingle

Don't forget to head down the road to either Harrington's or Dakin Farm for smokehouse goodies and cheese...
    The Vermont Pub and Brewery used to make an AWESOME Scotch ale. Do they still?

I know they still have Burley IRISH Ale.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/25 22:03:06 (permalink)
    There's a couple of good diners in Burlington; Henry's and the Oasis. At least they were good the last time I was there about 10 years ago. pb
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/25 22:38:04 (permalink)
    Mark,
    Is there a favorite hot dog place in or around Burlington?
    The Bear
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/25 23:00:11 (permalink)
    There are two hot dog carts on Church Street. ( The closed to traffice shopping street. A smaller version of Faniel Hall, Boston)

The "Hot Dog Lady" is across from the Starbucks. She has been there forever, and is a "Burlington Landmark" She serves boiled dogs with normal fixings. IMO Fun, but nothing special.

Down a couple blocks on the same street is Kevin's Wicked Mountain Hot Dogs. His cart is located across form City Hall.
    Now this place is for real hot dog lovers ! He serves Sabrett Natural casing dogs, with the most awesome buns. If you are a hot dog lover, this is the palce for you !1

Here is a site that has some pics of Burlington's Church Street Marketplace.

http://coolblue.typepad.com/photos/church_street/churchstnorth.html
    Sourdust
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/26 14:43:08 (permalink)
    Couple more recommendations for you...

American Flatbread: on St. Paul Street, 1/2 block from VT Pub and Brew. The best pizza in Vermont, no question, using mostly local/organic ingredients. 10 or so "regular" pies available, 2 specials that are different every day (one with meat, one without). Also a brewpub, with the best selection of beer in the area, 8-10 of their own and 12-14 others on tap, about 40 bottles, small but well-chosen scotch/bourbon/wine selections. Always crowded; get there at 5 when they open or go for lunch on F-S-Sun.

Five Spice Cafe: best Asian food in the area, just south of downtown. Indonesian/Malaysian predominantly. The curried snapper is amazing.

Halvorsens makes a solid burger, nice slightly upscale/clubby bar atmosphere.

Leunigs and Smokejacks are a couple of fine, moderate-to-expensive bistros with changing seasonal menus.

Asiana House has easily the best sushi in town; if you're looking for quality seafood and are willing to think raw and Japanese, this is definitely the place. Best sushi I've ever had, though I'll admit I wasn't much of a fan of the stuff before visiting this place.

There are several other seafood places in the area, but I can't say that any of them are really great; already-mentioned Shanty is fun, Icehouse just down the street from it is slightly better food, more upscale but a lot more expensive. Plenty of decent places for fish, but nothing that will excite you if you've been along the New England coast that's for sure.
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/26 22:13:10 (permalink)
    HOW COULD I FORGET AMERICAN FLATBREAD !!!!!

Best Pizza on the face of the earth. They refuse to call it pizza, but it is. FABULOUS wood fired flatbread !

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/26 22:26:38 (permalink)
    Mark,
    I'm a regular summer visitor to Hinesburg and often visit Church Street. I enjoy strolling there, but rarely go to any of the restaurants. It's my understanding that the Hot Dog Lady has sold her business and retired.

What I can't seem to find in all of Vermont is a brick and mortar restaurant specializing in hot dogs.

But while I have you on the phone, what do you hear about Starry Night in Ferrisburg? Overated? Good? Thanks for the info.
    The Bear
    Sourdust
    Junior Burger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 00:20:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mark in VT

HOW COULD I FORGET AMERICAN FLATBREAD !!!!!

Best Pizza on the face of the earth. They refuse to call it pizza, but it is. FABULOUS wood fired flatbread !

Well, I dunno about best on EARTH...but best I've had in New England outside of New Haven anyway. And Chicago pizza is a whole other ballgame...
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 20:49:36 (permalink)
    Hi Screen Bear, Thanks for the info concerning Lois. I could have sworn I saw he out durint the holidays.

I have not eaten at Stary Night, but some friends have, and said it was very good. Kind of a trendt place, but the experience was very good.
    It was featured on the Food Network not too long ago.
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 20:51:50 (permalink)
    Concerning hot dogs,

I know that Al's French Frys grills there, so they must be good........I would try them. I know the fry's are awesome.
    The place is so inexpensive, you could try the whole menu for little $$
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 22:33:21 (permalink)
    quote:

Five Spice Cafe: best Asian food in the area, just south of downtown. Indonesian/Malaysian predominantly. The curried snapper is amazing.

Scratch that one off your list. A 2 alarm fire gutted the place this morning. $750,000 in damage.
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 22:38:47 (permalink)
    Just changed owners, and I was hoping it would become the must go to place it once was.
    Let's hope the new owners plan on reopening
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 22:42:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Mark,
    Is there a favorite hot dog place in or around Burlington?
    The Bear

I think the best hot dog around is the guy running his cart at the Home Depot. Although, I do wish we had more variety and a "real" restuarant that caters to mostly hot dogs. But alas, we don't.
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 22:53:37 (permalink)
    That's the same guy who is on Church Street.
    Kevin's Wicked Mountain Dogs.........Yeah I wish we still had the Red Hot Stand in Mallet's Bay. Waited 20 minutes for the dogs, but they were worth it.
    Grilled dogs, and grilled buns with a great meat sauce.....YUM !
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 22:59:15 (permalink)
    There was a dude with a hto dog cart over by Chili's and the Christmas Tree shop one day. His sign said Kevin's Wicked Mountain Dogs. I didn't end up getting one cause I had already eaten. Do you have any more info on this guy? Sounds like hes got quite the operation going?
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 23:07:54 (permalink)
    All I know is he serves top quality products. Sabrett dogs and mustard. He is big into being involved in the community. He has given away thousands of dogs as part of local events.

Seems to be one of the good guys !
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 23:11:11 (permalink)
    is there a website for his business?
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 23:16:13 (permalink)
    Have not found one yet...........

I will ask him next week when I am on Church St.
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/27 23:31:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mark in VT

I live in Burlington, and here are my favorites:

Sirloin Sirloon - Great steaks !
    Three Tomatoes- Italian
    Penny Cluse Cafe- Breakfast and Lunch
    RiRa's - Irish Pub has great Fish and Chips
    Vermont Pub and Brewery- Great Wings and Pub Grub.
    Uncommon Grounds- Best Coffee, but there is a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Muddy Waters, Speeder and Earls. All good.
    Shanty on the Shore. Good Fried Seafood.
    Single Pebble- Super Asian Cuisine
    Al's French Fry's- Best Fry's on the face of the earth !
    Nector's - Super Fry's and Gravy. Wonderful Hot Turkey S'wich. Home of the band Phish.
    Ben and Jerry's will do in a pinch !

Many, many more.......let me know what you like !

ok, heres my two cents on his choices.

-Sirloin Saloon is definately a good choice

-Never been to the Three Tomatoes or Penny Cluse

-RiRa's is great!! I don't even drink beer and I love it. It caters to a little bit more older crowd in general. Nice atmosphere. DJs on the weekends. Food is pretty good. Drinks are too. Definately must check out.

-VT Pub and Brewey. Like I said above, I don't drink beer but I like going to this place. I always get a burger. They are really good here too. Plus, for those of you who like to try samples, you can order a shot size amount of beer in like, what, between 3-5 glasses? I can't remember the number it gives you the chance to sample a wide variety of beer without buying a whole glass. Truth be told, I've never ordered the wings there yet. Always been a burger. Shame on me.

-Don't do coffee or seafood so skip the next 2

-Single Pebble while I've never personally been there, I've had friends tell me about it all the time. The food is fantastic there. The only downside I've heard is its expensive. $100 for dinner for 2 I guess isn't uncommon. But they rave about the food so check it out if you like good, expensive food.

-Al's French Frys is like an institution in the area. Everyone knows it and everyones eaten it. Its far from heart healthy food but its darn good. Fresh cut fries, burgers made to order while you watch them make it(as long as you can stand tall enough to look over the counter) The place is always packed and theres a reason for it. But they do a really good job of moving the line fast. I've seen employees still there from when I was a little kid. Must be doing something right to keep them there all these years. They work their butts off and I am sure are paid pretty good for it.

-Nector's is THE place to go if you want fries and gravy and a LOT of it. He even has a window over by the cook so he can take orders from people out on the street. Definately a place you want to check out. Lots of history there too with many bands playing. Side note: The original Nector Rorris(I hope I spelled his name right) retired several years ago and sold his business. The new owner came in and I believe kept everything the same. All the sauces and secret recipes don't seemed to have changed. Another definate place you want to go if you like gravy fries.

-Ben and Jerry's has outstanding ice cream. Unfortunately its not cheap but you can't go wrong with any B & J flavor. My personal fave is Phish Food.

Just to add to the list too.

-Libbys Blue Line Diner. Its not located in Burlington but its not far outside the city. They serve comfort food like meatloaf and all the usual home cooked foods. Very nice place. Love going there.

-Hoagie Hut is located in Malletts Bay which is just outside Burlington as well. I believe this place has the closest thing to a real philly cheese steak as you're gonna find. The sandwich is loaded with meat and cheese and topped with onions, peppers and mushrooms(all optional if you like) You can't eat this sandwhich like a normal one. You have to eat it with a fork. Its too mamouth to stick into your mouth at once. Also, they serve steak fries which are really good too.
    Sourdust
    Junior Burger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/28 01:32:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MBFDFyre

quote:

Scratch that one off your list. A 2 alarm fire gutted the place this morning. $750,000 in damage.

DAMN! That sucks. Not that I ate there often, but it was a beautiful, intimate space and I think about it much more frequently than I can go there. I hope they can put it back mostly as-it-was; Burlington doesn't have that many restaurants that are really distinctive, IMHO, but that was one.
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/28 04:49:00 (permalink)
    wow, another fellow vermonter on the forum. I wonder how many there are of us.
    RandellButts
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/29 12:53:24 (permalink)
    Thank you all very much. I have been to the sirloin saloon years ago, but I wasn't sure it was still there.
    I remember they also had excellent desserts in addition to their steaks. I hope its still the same.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/29 15:16:19 (permalink)
    When it comes to Burlington Vermont, or for that matter, the entire state of Vermont, there should be a separate forum: "Where Should I Drink" for the area has some of the best microbrews and microbreweries on the planet.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13498
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/29 19:26:34 (permalink)
    I have been there and enjoyed the downtown mall which is super but I cannot express a better place to go. A lot of neat places were evident. The downtown mall was very good and a lot of places presented very well.

As many of you know, downtown Burlington is not that big but the mall is very nice.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/01/29 19:42:25 (permalink)
    We are really spoiled with so many great choices !
    Part of the wonderful quality of life Burlington has to offer.
    You don't make much money here, but you sure eat well !
    Benny
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/02/03 17:20:03 (permalink)
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bove's - I'm from upstate New York, and regularly buy Bove's pasta sauce from a regional supermarket chain that we have here. Two summers ago, I ate (once only) at Bove's in Burlington and was very impressed. Granted, the place was by no means gourmet or "trendy", but given that they were established in the 1940's, I believe, they had excellent Italian-American food. I recommend them from my experience, but perhaps locals could shed some light on if they've gone downhill since 2004?
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    RE: BURLINGTON, VT. 2007/02/03 22:04:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Benny

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bove's -

I have to be honest, Bove's has gone wayyyyyyyyyyyyy down hill from it's glory days.
    I used to love going there. It used to be an eclectic place to have great italian food on the cheap. Now it's just a dirty, slow, iffy italian joint. Three Tomatoes on Church St. is 10 times the place to satisfy my pasta craving.
    Sorry, but Bove's is no longer on my list..........
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1