Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both?

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2012/06/10 10:19:06 (permalink)

Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both?

I never heard of this stuff until my sister sent me a care package, which included TWO loaves of babka from Green's Bakery in Brooklyn, one of chocolate, and one of cinnamon. And now I can't get enough!

If you don't know, babka is a yeasty cakey loaf, somewhere between bread and cake, like a sweeter and moister coffee cake. It is just LOADED with swirls of either cinnamon or chocolate, so it is about 50/50 bread and filling. Babka is VERY dense, very filling, intensely flavorful, and really, really awesomely good. It is also very rich; one slice of babka is plenty, no matter how good! 

According to Serious Eats, most babka sold in the US is made at Green's; Katz' Deli and Russ & Daughters (and many others) remove the bags from Green's and replace them with their own packaging. "The folks at Green's don't seem to care though. As long as they're spreading the babka love, they're pretty happy people."

Although most people prefer chocolate, I think I have a slight preference for the cinnamon. I'm not sure why; when I'm eating the chocolate, I think it is the best thing ever, and when I'm eating the cinnamon, I think THAT is the best thing ever. But all said, for me, it's the cinnamon.

post edited by Mosca - 2012/06/10 10:20:14

7 Replies Related Threads

mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    Re:Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both? 2012/06/10 13:18:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mosca - - I have been looking for something like this, and I just placed an order...  When I was growing up, a schoolmate was a Mandel from Mandel's bakery in Avalon...  Occasionally, they would deliver surplus baked goods to their friends on Saturday evenings after the bakery closed for the Sunday day off....  And one of our favorite treats was a chocolate babka....  I have tried and tired for years to duplicate it and never could - - and other bakeries failed as well...  But this looks like the real thing....  Thanks for sharing....

I would like to share a discovery of mine with you, too...  A family tradition at holidays has been nut rolls and poppyseed rolls....  A long, arduous and tediious process, and I really don't have the strength to do the job anymore....  I discovered a wonderful company that fits the bill....  And it is in Western PA....  They do have a list of stores that carry their products, and I have just finished our second order in a month!!!!  http://store.bubbashomebaked.com/
    I have only tried the nut and poppyseed so far, but will eventually branch out to the other flavors....  My first bites were like eating a memory - - just wonderful.....

joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both? 2012/06/10 16:12:07 (permalink)
    it's an egg bread.  usually it's plain, sometimes has raisons/currants added; sometimes cheese.  never heard of cinnamon or chocolate...which could be regional things or just new ways to make this traditional polish bread.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both? 2012/06/10 17:12:57 (permalink)
    THANX Mosca & mamaduck!
    I've bookmarked both sites for the Holidays!
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both? 2012/06/10 17:52:17 (permalink)
    I'm in the cinnamon camp! Found a great recipe years ago and make my own and also make them for holiday gifts. I'm sure Green's and other are good, but I love to bake my own bread and love my babka with a cinnamon smear. (Guess I should try a chocolate version at some point.....)
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both? 2012/06/10 18:48:27 (permalink)
    I didn't post a link, but here's one anyhow:

http://www.greensbabka.com/
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both? 2012/06/10 23:58:04 (permalink)
    Mosca
    I didn't post a link, but here's one anyhow:
    http://www.greensbabka.com/

THANX for the link.
    I Googled it from the description you gave.
    Ain't that Google thing some sort of Magic or somethin'??
    How's it know all that stuff???
    It's like the Thermos Bottle.
    Sometimes you put hot stuff in it and it keeps it hot.
    Sometimes you put cold stuff in it and it keeps it cold.
    The Question is---How does it know???
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    Re:Babka: chocolate, cinnamon, neither, or both? 2012/06/11 00:49:37 (permalink)
    Foodbyme - - I, too, wonder about that thermos bottle thingy - - as long as it gets it right, who gives a heck how it happens....

I hope you take the time to read how Bubba's Homebaked got started...  Families dealing with job layoffs, who saved $$$ by homemaking holiday gifts for friends that turned into what looks like a very successful business... 
    I did make sure that my daughters have our family recipes and that they know how to make the old family favorites, but I have no problem with buying these when I feel like it....  I find the quality to be amazing and so close to what I make that I may never "knead" to do them again....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1