Baby Watson Cheesecake/

Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
2005/06/02 16:29:41 (permalink)

Baby Watson Cheesecake/

Anyone know if these folks are still in business up there in Cambridge/Boston I remember them when they first started up and were giving them away as a prize for "Mornin Mishagas" on Charles Laquidara's am show at WBCN radio. They were REALLY good!--but its been MANY years since i had one and havent heard ANY mention of them anywhere.

17 Replies Related Threads

Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/02 17:24:23 (permalink)
    I remember Baby Watson's. They had a store in "The Garage" in Cambridge in the early '70s. My older brother was going to BU at the time and I took every opportunity I had to go up there and visit him.

Cheesecake was a culinary big-deal in the early '70s and New York Magazine used to have a "best cheesecake" issue every year. But one "fact" that was revealed at the time was that Baby Watson's cheesecakes were actually baked in New York City by D'Aiuto's Italian Bakery. They were allegedly trucked up to Boston on almost a daily basis.

Now, I don't know if this is actually true, but, FWIW, I remember not being able to distinguish between the two products at the time. D'Auito's is still around. They are on the west side of 8th Ave., somewhere near 30th St. (A short walk from Penn Station). Can't vouch for the quality of their stuff but if you're ever in the area and are feeling adventurous, you might want to give them a try. You might just find yourself re-living your Baby Watson moments!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/02 18:00:09 (permalink)
    Chumley--my daughter lives in NYC--i think i will have her grab one at D'Aiuto's on her next flight down here--they wouldnt happen to make canoli's and rum cakes would they If so---i will NEED a mixed dozen of those too!
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/02 18:36:30 (permalink)
    Oh Tiki look at this: http://www.motherskitchen.com/html/outletstore.php

This outlet store is not all that far from where I live (it's near the famed Mastori's Diner) and another page on the site does mention the Baby Watson product. In fact, in reading further on yet another page on the site, it looks like Mother's Kitchen bought the product in 1998. So I guess ya have to come to Jersey!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/03 06:55:46 (permalink)
    well-if thats the case,then i will have to wait till next year to eat one-because i went east to the daughters and dads last yr and my son in California is on the next trip itinary! Sure did like that cheesecake though!
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1976
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/03 09:36:54 (permalink)
    We used to buy it frozen at the grocery store. It was very small, had a baby on the cover. Even though we live within 40 miles of Boston, we never knew the Boston connection. I thought it was from NYC. We stopped eating it as the middle age spread came into our lives. I have not seen it in years.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/03 19:37:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Chumley--my daughter lives in NYC--i think i will have her grab one at D'Aiuto's on her next flight down here--they wouldnt happen to make canoli's and rum cakes would they If so---i will NEED a mixed dozen of those too!

Well, if it's cannoli or rum cakes you want, have her get them at Veniero's or one of the other fine Italian pastry shops in lower Manhattan (Rocco's on Bleecker St. is another suggestion). Last time I was in D'Auito's, I wasn't too impressed. Granted, I didn't try those two items but I didn't care for what I had. If you're going to go to all that trouble, go for the best! Junior's in Brooklyn has a great rep for cheesecake. I like S&S in the Bronx but their product can be hard to find. OTOH, if you really want to see how the beloved baby has weathered the sands of time, by all means check it out!

It's great to have choices, huh?
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/03 19:46:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shaynas_mom

This outlet store is not all that far from where I live (it's near the famed Mastori's Diner) and another page on the site does mention the Baby Watson product. In fact, in reading further on yet another page on the site, it looks like Mother's Kitchen bought the product in 1998. So I guess ya have to come to Jersey!

Interesting web site. Have you tried their cheesecake and is it any good? They seem to have patented (or trademarked) a process called "Wet Bake" where they bake the cheesecake in a pan of water. Excuse me? The French have been doing this for centuries. It's how cheesecake is made! Makes me really suspicious. It's like selling a car with a new innovation called "tires". How's the cheesecake at Mastoris? I bet their's is better!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/03 19:47:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chumley

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Well, if it's cannoli or rum cakes you want, have her get them at Veniero's or one of the other fine Italian pastry shops in lower Manhattan (Rocco's on Bleecker St. is another suggestion). Last time I was in D'Auito's, I wasn't too impressed. Granted, I didn't try those two items but I didn't care for what I had. If you're going to go to all that trouble, go for the best! Junior's in Brooklyn has a great rep for cheesecake. I like S&S in the Bronx but their product can be hard to find. OTOH, if you really want to see how the beloved baby has weathered the sands of time, by all means check it out!

It's great to have choices, huh?

D'Aiuto's still was peddling the Baby Watson cakes last time was in there about 1 and 1/2 years ago. I found a better cheesecake called Holey Moses. They are hard to find in stores, but worth the search...

http://www.holeymosescheesecake.com/index.shtml

As for Italian Pastries, Veniero's has gone upscale in recent years and seem more interested in atmosphere then baked goods. Right around the corner on 1st Ave is DeRobertis. The place looks the same as when I went in there with my Grandfather almost 40 years ago and their products are top shelf. Despite seeming low tech inside, they actually have a web page...

http://www.restaurantsontheweb.com/DeRobertis/
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/03 19:51:24 (permalink)
    Oh! I had forgotten about DeRoberti's. They ARE wonderful . . .
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/03 20:29:15 (permalink)
    quote:

Oh! I had forgotten about DeRoberti's. They ARE wonderful . . .

Veniero's is still very good as well, it is just that the past few times I went in there it seemed they were straying from their roots and trying to get more of that coffee house feel going. Not a bad thing, but not what I was looking for. I also got some cannolis that seemed as if they had been filled quite a while ago, leaving the shell all soggy. Rocco's is also another sure bet.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2005/06/03 20:50:55 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Interesting web site. Have you tried their cheesecake and is it any good? They seem to have patented (or trademarked) a process called "Wet Bake" where they bake the cheesecake in a pan of water. Excuse me? The French have been doing this for centuries. It's how cheesecake is made! Makes me really suspicious. It's like selling a car with a new innovation called "tires". How's the cheesecake at Mastoris? I bet their's is better!

Hiya! The answer is "no" to both. You remember our email exchange about Mastori's right before the Reading Terminal get-together, where I was like "eh" about Mastori's but didn't want to ruin it for my girl Sue (and totally forgot to ask her about it when we all met). I think maybe one day I'll give it another try, in all fairness, and I do wonder if Mastori's makes their own cheesecake...

As far as Mother's - yeah, I've been tempted to make the "wet cheesecake" but don't dare to mention it to Bill because he'd have me making it this way forever. Uh uh too much fuss with the oven (I call it my Easybake oven) I've got. I am thinking about a trip up to Flemington to the outlet(s) - haven't been since Shayna was around 9 -and stopping at Mother's on the way back. Or on the way up; I have to look up the hours again. But it looks as if they're the owners of Baby Watson's at this point in time, but sometimes use their name and sometime use the Mother's Kitchen name on them.
    ztmaximus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2009/07/26 23:36:00 (permalink)
    Gentlemen and ladies...
       For those that must know the history of BABY WATSON CHEESECAKE, the secret story does exist but very few know it.
    The three young people that founded the actual bakery goods co. in mass. in late 1973 were all originally from new york -the long island area. They lived in brighton mass , the cheesecake was baked in new york city by d'aiuto pastry, Mario D'aiuto was the owner- a great guy, but unaware of what his fate was to be when he met the three of us. He baked for the new york area only and sold the cake under his own name.Then along came the BABY WATSON squadron of crazy creative visionary kids with no idea what they were doing in the beginning but they were certain of one thing THEY had the rights to distribute the best cheesecake in the world in all of new england under their trademarked and registered logo name with a real picture of an unforgetable baby. In all of our business ventures, from the original store in hvd sq to fanuiel hall to boston univ. dormitory lobby, p-town and hyannis, we were never told NO!
    The cakes were transported to mass at least 3 times a week by refridgerated truck, Arrow freight , to the store in hvd sq. and the distributed to restaurants ,our stores and our other wholesale accounts. Eventually we set up an office and wholesale shipping point in kenmore sq., a place we called KONG'S APE VILLAGE!!,  that had a giant hand painted sign scrawled across the face of the building on beacon st next to the bar fathers too.  
       In less than five years we had maxxed out the new york bakery's capacity to supply our insatiable demand and we built a GIANT bakery in the levi starrett industrial loft building overlooking the hudson river on the west side of manhattan.MORE later.
                                                    ztmaximus
    hhdmiami
    Junior Burger
    Re:Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2009/07/29 21:12:04 (permalink)
    I'm flying to Boston tomorrow and I was hoping to take my family to Baby Watson for a Stroller (wrap) for lunch on Friday. I went to Google to find out if they Baby Watson still exists and found this forum, with a recent posting from one of the founders. As a college student in the 80s until I moved to NYC in 1995 I used to love having a Stroller at your Cambridge Garage or Faneuil Hall locations. If I were feeling rich, I'd splurge on a cheesecake, too. Ah..memories!

Now I learn that you and your friends didn't create them, you just distributed them. That's too funny because that's one of my themes: "He who has the channel of distribution, has everything." Marketing is my game (and what I TWEET about). Now I have some more grist for the mill.

Any chance you have a photo of the old giant menu you can share? I'd love to see one again. I'd also like to know which sandwich I always ordered...I'm guessing it had veggies, cheese, avocado, sprouts and dressing on it. But that's just a guess!
    -David
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2009/07/29 23:06:44 (permalink)
    David,
    I have been unable to find addresses or phone numbers for Baby Watson locations in the Boston/Cambridge area. I'd try plugging addresses into superpages.com before a trek to there.

I hope ztmaximus continues his narrative. When I moved to Manhattan, the old Sloan's supermarket chain used to put Baby Watson frozen on sale all the time, and they were excellent. They were probably coming out of 601 West 26th Street at that time. If you passed the retail D'Aiuto shop at 873 8th Avenue you realized there was no way they were producing all that cheesecake there.

Right now, Baby Watson is off the Manhattan supermarket radar screen, though I presume that shop at 405 8th Ave is still there.

As Harriet noted above, the frozen supermarket cakes now come out of Mother's Kitchen in Burlington, NJ. They are now owned by Rich Foods of Buttercreme fame. I bought a frozen one a few years ago in a supermarket. It reminded me of chemical cheesecake; i.e. those bakeless cheesecakes you make from a box. Just mix the ingredients and put in the fridge to set. 
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2009/07/30 06:58:49 (permalink)
    This is fun---i had forgotten this whole forum till it popped up today and BAM--one of the FOUNDERS shows up!!!---I LOVE ROADFOOD!!! Hope ztmaximus finished the story!!
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re:Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2009/07/30 16:02:32 (permalink)
    My go-to place for the "best cheesecake in NYC" (and,of course, therefore the world) is Eileen's Special Cheesecake. Eileen's cakes are more whipped and creamier than the extremely dense Baby Watson, Junior's, Carnegie, etc. cheesecakes but no less luscious.  
    metzha
    Junior Burger
    Re:Baby Watson Cheesecake/ 2010/03/13 13:51:03 (permalink)
    to al baby watson lovers

my name is haim and i was with my partner kobi hamond the last oners of baby watson in the garage at h.s iv cam.

we had to shoot of the store after 5 years we had it frome 1987-1992

for all the lovers of the strrole,the dressing was  1 bl. mayo and a tabel spoon soy sauce muxed well!!!

if any one needs more fine recipe frof the god old baby watson we will soone have it on facebook

thaks to all

haim metz
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1