Baccala

Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
2013/12/04 13:39:05 (permalink)

Baccala

In my mother's Italian family we always had baccala (salt cod) around Christmas.  I was surprised to see it the other day at our local Giant Eagle.  Of course, after soaking it for 1-2 days, my grandfather would pat it dry, cut it into portions, dredge the pieces in seasoned flour and fry.  He would serve it on polenta with a fresh (canned tomatoes from his garden) tomato sauce.  My mother would do the same soak/dry/flour/fry method and she would serve it with what we called "Italian potato salad" which was nothing more than Idaho potatoes peeled and boiled until tender, drained, then added to olive oil which had some lightly browned onion and garlic.  Parsley at the end.  I'm going to buy some and make it a week before Christmas.

7 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    Re:Baccala 2013/12/04 16:21:17 (permalink)
    I have always been curious about salted cod but I had no idea about how it taste or how to prepare it.  Thanks for your post.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Baccala 2013/12/04 20:39:30 (permalink)
    It's definitely widely available here in Northern NJ, though, I've never cooked with it before myself. I love to try new things Lisa. I might just try some this year! Last year I made home made matzo ball soup for my family and my boss and her husband. She is Jewish but doesn't cook. It was a success! I love to learn about all kinds of holidays and the foods that people make and enjoy when celebrating them! 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8085
    Re:Baccala 2013/12/04 21:35:18 (permalink)
    I've had Portuguese baccala, potato balls. 
    Good stuff!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Baccala 2013/12/05 07:57:48 (permalink)
    My Noni would make fritters this time of year ---two kinds--one that's center was  filled with figs and one that was filled with Baccala----these would be mixed together and filled a huge bowl on the sideboard. while most of my cousins couldnt stand the "Fish"--i loved them!! ---and that meant i got lots of them that had one tiny bite out of them!!!! I remember being fascinated by watching that hard dried up "Thing" turn into a fish filet as she re-hydrated it!!!---Oh yes---we got some in a little wooden box with a sliding lid and some---from a shop in the north end of Boston that were whole split cod with tails fins and heads that were hung from a hook in the pantry----and trust me--you DON"T want to be smacked with a whole dried half a cod fish!!!   Buon Natale, Lisa!!!

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:Baccala 2013/12/05 08:28:39 (permalink)
    I miss the baccale zeppole we had on Christmas Eve.  I should give it a try.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:Baccala 2013/12/05 11:42:22 (permalink)
    Yes, you should.  Keep the tradition alive.  My grandparents were from the north of Italy.  I think the only thing my grandmother fried was pumpkin flowers.  The baccala was floured and sautéed, then added to the polenta.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Baccala 2013/12/12 17:51:28 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

I have always been curious about salted cod but I had no idea about how it taste or how to prepare it.  Thanks for your post.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Paul...I posted this awhile back regarding one of my favorite salt cod recipes. After proper hydrating it has a wonderful flavor and lends itself to many recipes. Currently, a one pound box from Nova Scotia costs about $10 around here. My recipe will feed four easily and probably a leftover for me. Give it a try. I've been eating it all my life thanks to my Mom.
    http://www.roadfood.com/F...amp;high=roast+chicken
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1