Back From San Francisco

Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
2003/08/28 15:32:09 (permalink)

Back From San Francisco

I did not get to all the restaurants that I planned to go. Here is what I found.

On Monday, I went from the airport to House Of Nanking. Got a table right away. I dined (during this trip with two people). My order of Chicken fried rice, was different than any I ever had. It was very good and very different. My friends let me try some of their sweet potatoes, also very different and good. A real sweet sauce on them. I also tried some beef chow mein and that was good. I give a strong recommendation to visit them as a priority on a bay area trip.

Sam Wo: I always liked them but I was advised to pass it up. Well I went by Yank Sing for dinner (dim sum) and they were closed at 6PM. I gave Sam Wo a try, and I am glad that I did. Their rice and noodle dishes are all as good as they ever were. Portions are large, most are under $4.00 and meat is given in generous quantities. My waitress was pleasant and spoke perfect English. I also recommend Sam Wo.

Tomasso's these guys were closed until 4PM, same day I tried Yank Sing for dinner.

Taiwan Restaurant: No longer has a location at 284 Columbus. We chose to eat at a nearby Italian, Pasta Pamadoro. The food there was good but only satisfactory. I dined with three and we payed more attention to our discussion than our food.

Sears Fine Foods (breakfast). Closed all day Tues and Wed. I noticed some of business closings and cutbacks. The economy in San Francisco is showing signs of anemia. Also areas that are usually crowded, such as cable car stops had fewer people than usual.

Home Plate (breakfast Wednesday) . Fantastic!. Pancakes, scones, and a table full of breakfast food,was all great. This place was crowded too. Even my french fries were good.

Jade Villa-Chinatown in Oakland. I was not as happy with my meal there as I have been in past visits. We shared some pot stickers and they were not that great to eat. Especially after the first, and we had a total of six. The rice and noodle dishes were not as good as I had on the other side of the bay. We got there at 3PM just as they put a closed sign on the door. We had to wait until 5PM when they reopened. The time was spent walking around Jack London Square.

Maroudas Brothers, Longhouse Restaurant. This is in Gilroy (the garlic capital of the world). 8195 Monterey Street Phone 408-842-7664. This place was good enough to eat at twice. Once when going south and the next day when going north to the airport. Large menu and everything is available all day, so you can choose any meal you want.

In the two visits, I had Garlic Turkey with gravy and stuffing. I also had garlic steak sandwich, french fries and pancakes. All were very good and I can still taste the garlic in my mind a week later. This is good American food and worth a stop when driving on 101.

Finally in Monterey, dinner was eaten at Rappa's Sea Food on Monerey Old Fisherman's Wharf. 831-372-7562. There is a nice view of the bay. The food was good but not memorable. Prices were a little high, as a premium for the nice view and in the midst of a tourist area.

I have many more restaurants to visit, so this gives me an incentive to look forward to my next trip to the bay area.

Also on this trip, I walked over the Golden Gate Bridge for the first time. I saved money by staying near the airport and taking BART into town. The link was opend just on June 23, 2003. but the fair is $4.70. The hotel had a free bus to the airport (and BART) and was only $49./night. Also gas is at least $2.00 gallon EVERYWHERE.

1 Reply Related Threads

Gator
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Back From San Francisco 2003/08/28 15:49:26 (permalink)
    I have fond memories of Sam Wo's from when I used to live in San Francisco. I can't say that it had as much to do with the food as with the exotic shape and setting of the restaurant, but the food was certainly cheap and filling. A fine place to end the night due to its late hours.

Of course, best not to get too full on the, to me, somewhat bland Cantonese offerings at Sam's and many of the older Chinese restaurants when there is so much interesting dim sum, some of the best of which is available to go at hole in the wall shops in Chinatown.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1