Back in Denver, so far 2 yummy experiences

Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2009/05/23 13:53:50 (permalink)

Back in Denver, so far 2 yummy experiences

As lifelong Lakers fans, my wife and I decided to come to Denver to see our team play twice against the Nuggets and to complete some unfinished business left undone when we were last in the Mile High City in August for the DNC.

Arriving Friday afternoon we met up with our friends and had a nice dinner at a new Cuban restaurant, just open about 6 months, Mojito's Cuban Bistro on 6th Avenue and Corona in the East Capitol Hill district.
http://www.mojitosdenver.com/
The last time here we went to another Cuban eatery Cuba Cuba but we didn't care much for it because it is nouveau-fusion style Cuban and not more down home traditional cooking which Mojito's is. I had ropa vieja(old clothes shredded beef) with black beans, rice, tostones- fried green plantains, several sabroso mojitos, flan and an excellent cafe cubano. My wife had the shrimp creole-camarones enchilados over rice with sweet ripened plantains, mojitos, flan and cafe.

Our hosts had a grilled citrus chicken breast with yucca(cassava) with garlic sauce, moro rice and  lechon asado-marinated pork and pimiento rice respectively. We all shared a delicious appetizers platter that had ham croquettes, meat empanadas and thin fried green plantain chips with garlic sauce.  We all shared a bit of our entrees so we all got a taste of 4 different platters and all of liked all 4 of them

great dining and quite a surprise to find such a nice down home style Cuban place in Denver which according to our friends who works with tourism and chamber of commerce has a population of less than 1,000 Cubans in the entire metro Denver area

This Saturday morning we were taken to a 1950s style diner, Annie's Cafe
http://www.annies-cafe.com/    tons of 1950s memoribillia adorn the restaurant complete with a retro candy counter. A standard yet extensive breakfast menu with a few speciality platters, again we all tasted 4 different plates and they were all good plus they serves mimosa, sunrise and other adult beverages adding to the morning experience.  I enjoyed the Dee Delight, grilled potatoes with mushrooms, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, monterey jack topped with 2 sunnyside up eggs, yummy, my wife liked here chocolate chip pancakes, also good was the spinach and cheese florentine omelette

After we visit the Molly brown Mansion and Museum we are going to the site of the world's first cheeseburger and take a photo in front of the historical marker that commemorates the event. See the full story and photo of the marker in the hamburger section of this forum, thread titled Visiting the site of the world's first cheeseburger. I will be posting more info to that thread late tonight after the Lakers-Nuggets game or on Sunday morning

2 Replies Related Threads

brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Back in Denver, so far 2 yummy experiences 2009/05/23 14:22:06 (permalink)

That was a suprise for me.  I checked out your link for Annies.  I noticed that it said they were in the location formerly occupied by Godfriends.  I thought that Goodfriends was still in business.  I remember working there in the early 80's.  They did a landslide business.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Back in Denver, so far 2 yummy experiences 2009/05/23 23:11:24 (permalink)
    Geez jon, that Cuban dinner sounds fantastic!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1