BackRhodes KFAT-Gilroy style radio shows

Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
2012/01/21 15:47:01 (permalink)

BackRhodes KFAT-Gilroy style radio shows

Howdy...

I noticed that I'm not the only person here with a radio show...

TUNE IN THIS MONDAY  23 Jan 2012     1:oo PM to 3:oo PM Pacific Standard Time

www.kmud.org

I'm coming out of semi-retirement to do TUBBY TUNES Radio Show...

I'm on KMUD-FM (Humboldt County)...keeping the spirit of the late KFAT-FM, Gilroy alive and well... KMUD is a non commercial radio station, and a member of the NFCB (National Federation of Community Broadcasters)...

What was KFAT-Gilroy (CA)...???  How does it relate to what is on the radio today...???

I have an informational webby page at  www.pacificsites.com/~tubbytunes

Check out what the "What Was KFAT" page as a starting point in case you're not familier with the legend of KFAT-Gilroy (the current kfat call sign is now up in Alaska at a hip hop station, which has nothing to do with what I do)...

I also do a thing called "The Homestead Radio Show", but that's different...

Just in case you can't listen in "real time"...the program will be retained in the KMUD Awsome Audio Archives for 2 weeks before being deleted (very few radio stations do this)...

How did we get this callsign...???  We joke that we have only TWO seasons here: Dust and Mud...and after getting our CP we looked at the list of available callsigns...and here we are...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/01/24 21:17:30

8 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    Re:Interesting Radio Program THIS Monday 2012/01/21 16:14:25 (permalink)
    I was a K-PIG fan from the minute I first heard that station on a biz trip through Gilroy when their pioneering Internet stream was itself embryonic.
    Sadly as most know, the spirit of KPIG has slowly been dying with layoffs, automation, computer programming combined with ever increasing fees to listen.
    Thank you for keeping the spirit (and Laura Ellen) alive.
    I'll tune in.

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    Re:Interesting Radio Program THIS Monday 2012/01/21 16:18:05 (permalink)
    By the way ... I'm always on the lookout for KPIG/KFAT alternatives ... I once happened upon a public radio station in Northern California or Southern Oregon that had close programming, but despite occasional web searches, I've never been able to dig it back up.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Interesting Radio Program THIS Monday 2012/01/21 17:16:49 (permalink)
    Welcome fellow "fathead"...

"Thin may be in, but FAT's where it's at"     (KFAT-Gilroy slogan)

DJ Amy Airheart made that line famous...I have her saying that on one of my 10" tape reels...I had the privillige of being allowed by Laura Ellen to dub off onto 10" reel tapes just about every tape cart used at KPIG...she let me do this twice...I did the same thing during the last days of KFAT...I was at KTIM at the time and went down to KFAT with a stack of blank tapes one night...came back with quite a lot...

IF you can go back into the deep recesses of your mind and remember WHERE you were, I could probably nail it for you...depending on what YEAR, you might be talking about KVRE that was in Santa Rosa...AM & FM...not much power...(I talk about in on  my webby site)...maybe this was it...???

Most of the post KFAT shows are individuals on non commercial radio stations....often in 2 or 3 hour timeslots...

Fellow fathead John Patterson created a 25 disk set of CD's many years ago called Fat Favorites that he distributed to many DJ's, so the good news is that a fair amount IS preserved...the bad news is that yes, KPIG is slow strangling itself...between my tapes, CD, and genuine vinyl records, and other sources and friends, a decent library has been created, in search of a new full time "free range" radio station...

I took the (non) format to KAVA-AM in Burney back in the early1990's...

My good friend and radio partner is KFAT alumni Weird Harold...we both used to be on Mondays on KMUD until I semi retired...

What should I play this upcoming Monday...???
    post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/01/21 17:18:29
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Interesting Radio Program THIS Monday 2012/01/24 21:27:02 (permalink)
    I hope you had as much fun listening as I did doing it...!!!

Tune in THIS Thursday (26 Jan 2012) for the Homestead Radio Show...

5:oo PM to 5:30 Pm Pacific Standard Time

It's a talk show about folks that live in the boonies...

KMUD-FM   or www.kmud.org

Not your typical non commercial radio station, in Humbuldt County, CA...
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5421
    Re:Interesting Radio Program THIS Monday 2012/01/26 14:11:16 (permalink)
    You mean there is more than garlic in Gilroy?
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Interesting Radio Program THIS Monday 2012/01/28 16:31:52 (permalink)
    Yeah Mike...there's a highway known as US Hwy 101...it's the thread that stitches the west coast together...

Actually, Mike shows a knowledge that few outside the area knows: Garlic...

Gilroy, south of San Jose...was dubbed the "Garlic Capitol Of The World"...a lofty title for the "stinking rose"...and every summer is the famous Gilroy Garlic Festival at Christmas Hill Park...and garlic IS used in everything, including ice cream...

Gilroy was an unlikely place for a pioneering radio station...rural, apart from the SF Bay Area...yet it WAS close enough to be under the influence...in the case of KFAT-Gilroy...it was the energy of KMPX, the very first underground FM radio station in the USA...and later it's successor KSAN (The Jive 95)...these were pioneering fm Psychedelic Rock radio stations that lit a fire that swept across the nation...

KFAT (Gilroy) took that notion, and gave it a country twist...it was a blend that I still do on the radio...rock, swing, country, blues, western, folk, zydeco, and comedy...

After KFAT died (it was sold) KHIP in  Hollister was it's second incarnation...KPIG in Freedom (a suburb of Watsonville) was the 3rd incarnation...but after Laure Ellen Hopper died KPIG went into decline, and these days it's playlist is less than remarkable...

The FCC call sign KFAT is now up in Anchorage, AK...and it has nothing to do with the former KFAT (it plays hip hop)...

Yet the legacy lives on, in the form of Americana music...a format credited as being invented by KFAT-Gilroy...interesting for a station with a non-format...

Gilbert Klein's book about KFAT is due to be published this Spring... a link is on my web site...

People still talk about KFAT...

Not bad for a radio station that's been dead for 28 years...

But what are the lasting effects...???  Nashville has forgotten the lessons of Willie & Waylon...mostly because of a new crop of young execs in tall building...and KFAT and the Americana (non) format is the antithesis of Mashville (that's what I like to call it)...

Boogie on...

post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/01/28 16:34:24
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Interesting Radio Program THIS Monday 2012/01/28 21:37:11 (permalink)
    um, mike's a fresno native. 
    But that's on 99 so I'm sure it doesn't count to you.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Interesting Radio Program THIS Monday 2012/01/28 22:33:48 (permalink)
    Sure it counts...

Mike made a joke, as did I...we're just joking around, you know...

Before I-5 it was just 99 in the central valley, but it had better selections of radio stations in the 1960's, whereas Hwy 101 had more isolated spots that were radio dead zones...

On 99 you also had a chance to see a train (SP on the west side, ATSF on the east side) with it's sweeping Mars light on at night...

Patty Booker did a song called "99"... a good segue after Tulare Dust, eh...???
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1