The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL

seafarer john

Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Fri, 02/22/08 11:24 PM (permalink)
Our friends form Kerr City, FL introduced us to a great BBQ joint out in the middle of nowhere Florida, someplace near Interlaken, at the intersection of rts 310 and 315 named Backwoods BBQ. It would appear that the place has only been in business a for a few years, the building seems fairly new. The owners are friendly and outgoing people who are serving up a delicious plate of pulled pork.

They have a large smoker attached to the building in which they assured me they smoke butts and ribs every day. The pulled pork is tender and moist and is served without any sauce- proof enough to me that i'm getting superior meat that needs no sauce to hide its imperfections. Three sauces are offered on the table - one mildly hot and sweet, another less spicy and somewhat sweet, and the third i cant remember because I never got around to tasting it. The slaw was very nice, a tasty sharp accompanyment to the rich pork. The beans were a bit smoky, sweet, and temder. Sweet tea was very nice. i dont remember what else was offered in terms of drinks. This place is run by very nice people who are offering a superior product and they are well worth a detour.

I highly recommend this place to anyone who has the time for a detour off 75 or 95 to wander for a while through the "real Florida" and enjoy an excellent BBQ. this place is outstanding!!

Cheers, John

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
    RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Sat, 02/23/08 7:23 AM (permalink)
    Thanks for the report SFJ. You're right about finding the best places off the beaten path.

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
      RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Tue, 02/26/08 7:01 AM (permalink)
      Backwoods sounds like a real winner! I thoroughly enjoyed taking 301 south to Sarasota the last time I drove down.

seafarer john

RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Tue, 02/26/08 10:59 AM (permalink)
        I just discovered while going thru some notes I'd made on our recent trip south that the correct name of the place is: Backwoods Country Store, 400 Rt 310, Interlachen, Fl.

We always leave I-95 just after entering Florida and take rt A1A to 301 and join I-75 someplace around Ocala - a much nicer ride, despite numerous speed traps, lights, cops ,etc., than the totally boring drive on the antiseptic interstates. One Florida road we have learned to avoid is rt 19 - a horror if there ever was one.

Cheers, John

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
          RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Thu, 02/28/08 12:19 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by seafarer john
          We always... take 301 and join I-75 someplace around Ocala - a much nicer ride, despite numerous speed traps....

Dearfolk,
          On U. S. 301, the town you REALLY have to be careful of is Lawtey, up by Starke in Bradford County. This hamlet rakes in more money than any other Florida municipality in speeding revenues; it makes Waldo look like paradise by comparison.
          I enjoy taking old, bypassed highways, like U. S. 129 through Jasper and U. S. 441 below Lake City. There's some real scenery on those backroads, folks... and often some excellent Roadfood.
          My wish is for some decent BBQ in DeSoto, Hardee, or Polk County, Florida, but I've never found anything worth sneezing about. So I eat local Mexican instead, and am glad to have it!
          Wishing I Was There Right Now, Ort. Carlton in Amazing, But Too Cold Tonight For My Taste Athens, Georgia.

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
            RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Thu, 02/28/08 7:08 AM (permalink)
            I seem to recollect that one or two towns had large signs proclaiming SPEED TRAP upon entering town. I couldn't figure if they'd been placed there by the police, which would make sense if the objective was to slow down traffic, or perhaps by someone angered at having paid a bunch of fines.

Bluemaxx

• Total Posts: 465
              RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Thu, 02/28/08 10:05 AM (permalink)
              Thanks SFJ!! I will definitely be hitting this place in the future!

seafarer john

RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Thu, 02/28/08 12:07 PM (permalink)
                The Speedtrap signs near Lawtey and Starke and/or Waldo were posted and are maintained by AAA.

Cheers, John

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                  RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Thu, 02/28/08 7:14 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by douginvirginia

Doug,
                  Lawtey is SO bad a speed trap that it makes Emporia, VA. seem as if they've run totally out of ink.
                  Repeated efforts on the behalf of state legislators to disincorporate the town have been as fruitless as a barren orange tree in July.
                  The two worst places in Florida yesteryear were Bolougne on U. S. 1/301 just south of the Georgia line towards Jacksonville and Hacienda Village near Fort Lauderdale. Bolougne was disincorporated by the legislature in the mid-1960's; Hacienda Village's mayor died in office and the town was soon thereafter absorbed into Davie.
                  S l o w i n g D o w n , Ort. Carlton in Oft-Speedy Athens, Georgia.

bosco lover

• Total Posts: 155
                    RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Sat, 03/8/08 4:35 PM (permalink)
                    thanks for the bbq tip. we sometimes go through interlaken when travelling between st augustine and gainesville, or if going farther out to crystal river. i do love homey, out of the way places, but so often they can be sub par or even bad and dirty. thanks for doing the leg work for me! i will check them out

seafarer john

RE: Backwoods BBQ, Interlaken, FL Sat, 03/8/08 4:49 PM (permalink)
                      And, Bosco, be sure to post what you find for everyone to see.

Cheers, John

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com