Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40
chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Thu, 10/7/10 5:06 PM (permalink)
1/4 lb. Hebrew National, 4 slices of layout bacon, 12 in. roll, twice fried hand cut FF. Would you garnish this delight, if so, with what?

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Thu, 10/7/10 5:09 PM (permalink)
    Reminds me of The Yankee Doodle in New Haven ... Just add cheese and mayo.  Seriously, that's what they did.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
      Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Thu, 10/7/10 5:42 PM (permalink)
      chewingthefat, When I make bacon dogs I use stone ground mustard, one roasted long hot pepper and fried onions.  Or Blackie's Hot Pepper Relish, when available

I also like stone ground mustard, sriracha sauce and homemade Asian Slaw.

chewingthefat

Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Thu, 10/7/10 5:53 PM (permalink)
        joerogo

chewingthefat, When I make bacon dogs I use stone ground mustard, one roasted long hot pepper and fried onions.  Or Blackie's Hot Pepper Relish, when available

Dang, that does sound great Joe, Thanks!
        How about your recipe for the Asian Slaw!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
          Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Thu, 10/7/10 6:07 PM (permalink)
          chewingthefat

joerogo

Dang, that does sound great Joe, Thanks!
          How about your recipe for the Asian Slaw!

#3 Daughter makes it.  I will get the recipe to you.

When we make bacon dogs, it's usually for a family event.  It's the most requested item.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
            Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Thu, 10/7/10 9:10 PM (permalink)
            Cheddar.

DT

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
              Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Thu, 10/7/10 9:14 PM (permalink)
              I don't know. I've never thought much about a "bacon dog." It looks as if the bacon might be crisp, in which case I wouldn't want it. But I guess that if the bacon was nice and soft I'd want to try it naked first, just to see what it tastes like.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1937
                Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Thu, 10/7/10 9:41 PM (permalink)
                First of all, I'd like a bucket of those fries.  Yes, a KFC bucket full of them.  They look perfect.  On the dog, I'd probably go with mustard and homemade dill pickle relish.  And thumbs up on the Hebrew National.

MiamiDon

Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 5:43 AM (permalink)
                  I like the Pitchfork from Dogma Grill:

Bacon, grilled onions, cheddar cheese and BBQ sauce.  The bacon is pre-cooked, and only one slice.  The hot dog is smaller than yours.

Adding some grilled onions, cheese and your sauce on your dog might create a masterpiece!  Worth trying, anyway.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 8:03 AM (permalink)
                    I like the looks of Don's entry...BUT, You could get a lot more delicious BACON into the Bun if you omitted that Weinie !!!

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                      Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 8:15 AM (permalink)
                      chewingthefat

1/4 lb. Hebrew National, 4 slices of layout bacon, 12 in. roll, twice fried hand cut FF. Would you garnish this delight, if so, with what?

Ten milligrams of Coumadin?

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                        Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 12:36 PM (permalink)
                        wheregreggeats.com

Reminds me of The Yankee Doodle in New Haven ... Just add cheese and mayo.  Seriously, that's what they did.

Another in the mayo camp and some diced tomato.

ALLGOOD

• Total Posts: 167
                          Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 12:41 PM (permalink)
                          Grape jelly and chili sauce.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                            Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 2:36 PM (permalink)
                            Is the dog deep-fried after it's wrapped in bacon?

I think I'd just like a squiggle of yellow mustard on mine, please.

Brad

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                              Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 4:28 PM (permalink)
                              MiamiDon

I like the Pitchfork from Dogma Grill:

Bacon, grilled onions, cheddar cheese and BBQ sauce.  The bacon is pre-cooked, and only one slice.  The hot dog is smaller than yours.

Adding some grilled onions, cheese and your sauce on your dog might create a masterpiece!  Worth trying, anyway.

Don, I was going to say the bacon dog should be served with any topping they want, I think your picture shows how I would want it...........Looks great..............Bill

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 8:51 PM (permalink)
                                I'd use a Nathans dinner dog rather than the bland HN brand, an 8 inch roll so the dog doesn't get lost in the roll plus you have good ends sticking out.
                                the only topping it needs so you have a good taste of the HD & the bacon is a light squirt of yellow mustard.
                                NO need to drag that puppy through the garden.

sk bob

Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Fri, 10/8/10 8:55 PM (permalink)
                                  wheregreggeats.com

Yankee Doodle RIP

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                                    Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Sat, 10/9/10 2:26 AM (permalink)
                                    Yellow mustard and finely chopped onions

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                      Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Sat, 10/9/10 5:34 AM (permalink)
                                      I am surprised that this thread has made it this far without mentioning the Arizona/Mexican dog. A bacon wrapped dog topped with beans, roast chili, cheese and mayo.
                                      Here is my version:

Here is my recreation of the bacon wrapped dog found at Crif's. They add jalapenos and slaw. It's great.

mark
                                      <message edited by doggydaddy on Fri, 11/19/10 6:31 AM>

chewingthefat

Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Sat, 10/9/10 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                        Brad_Olson

Is the dog deep-fried after it's wrapped in bacon?

I think I'd just like a squiggle of yellow mustard on mine, please.

Brad

Yep, The dog is perfectly cooked when the bacon is nice and crisp Brad.

chewingthefat

Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Sat, 10/9/10 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                          doggydaddy

I am surprised that this thread has made it this far without mentioning the Arizona/Mexican dog. A bacon wrapped dog topped with beans, roast chili, cheese and mayo.
                                          Here is my version:

Here is my recreation of the bacon wrapped dog found at Crif's. They add jalapenos and slaw. It's great.

Here is the real deal from Crif's.

mark

I could do some damage to a couple of those Arizona dogs, with a few cold drafts, Yungling's thanx!

sk bob

Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Sat, 10/9/10 10:42 PM (permalink)
                                            I wonder how far away they were standing when they threw that nasty looking slaw at those poor dogs.
                                            <message edited by sk bob on Sat, 10/9/10 10:44 PM>

guspas

• Total Posts: 197
                                              Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Sun, 10/10/10 2:48 AM (permalink)
                                              I got to say points off for using a skinless dog.  We use natural casing and it makes for a great tasting dog

baughman

• Total Posts: 115
                                                Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Sun, 10/10/10 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                                chewingthefat think you might walk us through your twice fried fries? Do you soak them over night after cutting them? Or do you cut them ,then right in frier. Then rest, then fry till crisp?
                                                  OR is it completely diffent and you actually fry till done. Then when an order comes in you fry them agian?
                                                  If its a company secret thats cool hehe

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                                                  Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Mon, 10/11/10 7:41 AM (permalink)
                                                  Hey Fat!

I wouldn't put a damn thing on it!

Still planning on making the trip up.....will PM you. Maybe this Saturday, I just need to find a daysitter for my bulldog....LOL! Of course I'll take one to go for him!!!!!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                                    Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Mon, 10/11/10 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                    My mom used to make a bacon dog in the fifties, wrapped like yours. But she put a slit length ways down the whole dog before wrapping and slid slivers of pickle and american cheese in the slit before wrapping and holding the whole thing together with a toothpick on each end. Then in the broiler....It was a kid friendly meal an adult can love. We served it often with a side of homemade mac & cheese. Still a great treat!!!

ChiliDog

• Total Posts: 126
                                                      • Location: Apple Valley, CA
                                                      Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Mon, 10/11/10 9:48 AM (permalink)
                                                      Chili.
                                                      I know big surprise that I'd be suggesting a chilidog, but believe me the meat on meat on meat goodness that is a Chili-Bacon-Dog is out of this world. 

chewingthefat

• Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                        Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Mon, 10/11/10 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                                        baughman

chewingthefat think you might walk us through your twice fried fries? Do you soak them over night after cutting them? Or do you cut them ,then right in frier. Then rest, then fry till crisp?
                                                        OR is it completely diffent and you actually fry till done. Then when an order comes in you fry them agian?
                                                        If its a company secret thats cool hehe

Put them thru a potato slicer, soak them in water with some distilled vinegar, overnight, drain the next day, par fry at 335 degrees for about 4 minutes, cool them in refrig in a tub, finish them at 375 degrees as ordered. Season then after the final fry, fried to each order.

chewingthefat

• Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                          Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Mon, 10/11/10 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                                          rebeltruce

Hey Fat!

I wouldn't put a damn thing on it!

Still planning on making the trip up.....will PM you. Maybe this Saturday, I just need to find a daysitter for my bulldog....LOL! Of course I'll take one to go for him!!!!!

I agree, I don't!
                                                          Love to see you Sat., let me know!

fug

• Total Posts: 5
                                                            • Location: potomac, MD
                                                            Re:Bacon Dog, would you put anything on it? Pics Tue, 10/12/10 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                                            Totally agree. I wouldn't put anything on it.  In fact, Saturday my son and I had four of these (we used Nathan's 8/1s)  cooked over a fire for breakfast(!) last weekend while backyard camping.  Nothing better...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com